ADVERTISEMENT

Look like a Team

Cawood86

All-American
Feb 20, 2005
I enjoyed it. Wasn't about promoting any one player. Wasn't just playing 5-6 guys. Moved the ball. Looking to pass.

Just one game, but seems more organized on offense. Players not afraid to shoot. Hard to express how relieved it is to not have what we had before in many ways

I was impressed with their ability to stay in front of their guy. Defense looked pretty solid. There was probably five or six times when they got beat, somebody went by them or something. But overall they held them down pretty good like they're supposed to when you play division 2.
I think they have very solid point guard defense if he doesn't get in foul trouble.
We still got to see what it looks like with Krissa running point guard and his defense.

I enjoyed it. Wasn't about promoting any one player. Wasn't just playing 5-6 guys. Moved the ball. Looking to pass.

Just one game, but seems more organized on offense. Players not afraid to shoot. Hard to express how relieved it is to not have what we had before in many ways
Offense was fantastic. Defense was good in spurts, but lots of lapses on that backdoor and even a few moments where I noticed a more athletic big and/or faster guard will eat us up. I saw a ton of room for improvement each time I thought of the opponent being 10 times better than KY Wes.

However, I really don't see how a team will be able to guard the perimeter. Even if we have two guys "off" on the same night, we have 6 others that can fill the void. I guess they'll trade a 3 for their bunches of 2s they may end up getting in the paint. We are going to need seriously tough defense from Carr, Williams and Oweh, otherwise it'll just end up being a 2s vs. 3s shootout.

Last edited:
Offense was fantastic. Defense was good in spurts, but lots of lapses on that backdoor and even a few moments where I noticed a more athletic big and/or faster guard will eat us up. I saw a ton of room for improvement each time I thought of the opponent being 10 times better than KY Wes.

However, I really don't see how a team will be able to guard the perimeter. Even if we have two guys "off" on the same night, we have 6 others that can fill the void. I guess they'll trade a 3 for their bunches of 2s they may end up getting in the pain. We are going to need seriously tough defense from Carr, Williams and Oweh, otherwise it'll just end up being a 2s vs. 3s shootout.
Room for improvement on the spacing. Fortunately we have the entire season to make the adjustments we need. And a coach that is capable of getting them where they need to be.

These guys had never played together v an opponent before last night.

They scored 123 on 21 of 42 threes, put 8 in double figures, had 32 assists to just 5 tos and Krissa didnt even play.
Held our opponent to just 52 pts and won by 71 pts. I read where that is the 3rd largest margin of victory in UK exh. History!

Please let all that sink in.

Please.

Last edited:

However, I really don't see how a team will be able to guard the perimeter. Even if we have two guys "off" on the same night, we have 6 others that can fill the void. I guess they'll trade a 3 for their bunches of 2s they may end up getting in the pain. We are going to need seriously tough defense from Carr, Williams and Oweh, otherwise it'll just end up being a 2s vs. 3s shootout.
Williams, Oweh and Butler can all be lock down defenders. Carr doesn’t look like a defensive player, but will create match up problems with his size. As of last night, it looks as if Almonor will be an important part of the rotation at the
3-4 spots

Defense is a concern for me. Butler is legit imo. Williams is a good low block defender. Not sure about wing defense.

Not sure if zone is thing for Coach Pope. Don't know if he uses it or not. Rebounding as well. Offense looks to be pretty good.

Williams, Oweh and Butler can all be lock down defenders. Carr doesn’t look like a defensive player, but will create match up problems with his size. As of last night, it looks as if Almonor will be an important part of the rotation at the
3-4 spots
Yes. Almonor looked very good. Excited about him.

Defense is a concern for me. Butler is legit imo. Williams is a good low block defender. Not sure about wing defense.

Not sure if zone is thing for Coach Pope. Don't know if he uses it or not. Rebounding as well. Offense looks to be pretty good.
It has only been one game and our first real look, but you've certainly made good points, I think. Fabulous first game, though !!

Last edited:
3-4 spots
Carr wasn't amazing on defense, but dang does he give effort. He was all over that backdoor cut that KWC scored on him – it was just a great pass and finish. I'm interested to see his defensive stats in a few games.

Pope uses zone to switch things up, though his BYU teams played a lot of man. Pope's said before he likes switching defensive schemes to throw off an offense's rhythm.

I think defense will come along with better communication and cohesion.

Gone are the days. That the ball just gets rolled out. And the entire starting lineup gets the whole game to figure out the opponent. And press conferences having the same rerun insight. And the same results each time at the exact Sametime. For 10+ years. Losing and completely lost.

For all you bettors out there
Betting who will win their conf reg season
This 5 team parlay pays 1900/1 . 19k on a 10$ bet
Kansas
Duke
UConn
UK
UAB

This is what you get when you have a real coach and not a promoter.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Every week that passes will be at least twice as useful for us in terms of improving as it will be for other teams. I’m cautiously optimistic about November 12th but I’m in no hurry for it to get here.

Speaking of that, I think we beat Arkansas easily. Cal couldn't figure out how to stop 1 guy from going off from the 3 point line. No way he's able to counter 5-8 guys.
I was thinking about this last night. I am very optimistic about the season. But even if things go way worse than we hope, by February this team will still be the perfect bucket of water to throw on Cal’s Wicked Witch of The West style.

I know I missed the post game, answer a question from the media with nothing related to the question. I will not miss Cal one second.

I thought rim protection left a lot to be desired. Wesleyan shot 46% from 2.

On the other hand the Cats shot 79% from 2. Let’s keep that up.
46% from 2 is on the low side of the target percentage for efficient offenses.

50%+ from 2. 33%+ from 3. That’s the thresholds for “good shooting” percentages.

Pope uses zone to switch things up, though his BYU teams played a lot of man. Pope's said before he likes switching defensive schemes to throw off an offense's rhythm.

I think defense will come along with better communication and cohesion.
I do believe using zone in short spurts is best; man to man is the more flexible defense. By flexible I mean able to stop more things if done right. By "done right" I mean scouting the other team and adjusting what you do based on the opponent's strengths and weaknesses, not just focusing on your own team's plans.

Reactions: JPFisher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT