ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Coen

It still amazes me that people get so mad at him when the only difference between he and stoops is that he was actually able to land a job. But watched it happen with Wolford when he left that he was a unified scapegoat for some faction of fans. Was the same thing....'he didn't rotate enough it's all his fault' when maybe the next string just wasn't good enough to win with so they didn't play them and we saw that the next year when they had to play. And again, if there was some legitimate issue with not enough minutes for the backups Stoops could come into any staff meeting any time he wants and say 'we need to get the backups minutes'. I guess it's just easy because they are gone so some people can unify and lay blame on someone not still here.

Stoops entertained an offer from a traditional power. Coen went on a never-ceasing search to get any job that would get him out of Lexington.

Coen left UK to work with his mentor as OC for the Rams. It was an understandable move. That season did not go well. Injuries on the line and at key positions played a major role. Had it gone well, in retrospect, there is no way Coen comes back to UK. I don’t know what happened at UK to send Coen packing. But, it just may be that things were going to be embarrassing in LA if he had a healthy team and the season went no better. And, maybe he lacked freedom under McVay.

He is gone. I think Stoops was preparing for his departure when he canned Woody and, maybe, Yenser. Who knows? But, Coen acted like Lexington was the community he dreamed of for his child and then took his family to Tampa. While I don’t want to ever live in Tampa, it is probably much better than LA.

All that big fuss and he didn't get us any better results than Eddie Gran. Who is a fantastic person.
I agree and I think age plays a factor. Gran had seen it all by the end of his career. He knew when times were good (UGA interested in him) they could easily go bad (getting fired the next year). He was wise about his profession.

Coen is 38 and still has growing up to do. I wouldn’t say it came too fast because he’s been grinding for 15 years or so at this point but he’s not reached Gran levels of wisdom yet.

Can anyone point to where Coen was so successful in the past. He was not the OC when the Rams won the Super Bowl. Came to Kentucky and had a generational talent at QB with another NFL wide receiver who was an amazing talent. After that year he leaves to go back to the Rams and led them to a 4-12 season . Then back to UK where we were at the bottom in plays run and offense efficiency and a 7-6 record. I am looking forward to Bush as an improvement in both scheme and play calling.

Stoops entertained an offer from a traditional power. Coen went on a never-ceasing search to get any job that would get him out of Lexington.

Coen left UK to work with his mentor as OC for the Rams. It was an understandable move. That season did not go well. Injuries on the line and at key positions played a major role. Had it gone well, in retrospect, there is no way Coen comes back to UK. I don’t know what happened at UK to send Coen packing. But, it just may be that things were going to be embarrassing in LA if he had a healthy team and the season went no better. And, maybe he lacked freedom under McVay.

He is gone. I think Stoops was preparing for his departure when he canned Woody and, maybe, Yenser. Who knows? But, Coen acted like Lexington was the community he dreamed of for his child and then took his family to Tampa. While I don’t want to ever live in Tampa, it is probably much better than LA.

What "traditional power" did CMS even get to sniff?

I know you're not talking about Aggies. Historically, they were barely a mid-tier B12 team. Haven't done much in the SEC.

The Bucs, with 2 titles in relatively modern times are more of a "traditional power" in the league than Aggies are in the B12/SEC.

Currently, a playoff ready team that could easily advance next post season. Rest assured, if they do, LC will probably get a HC gig and go on the ever-growing list of Kentucky football could've, would've, should've hads...

Has anyone pointed out that Liam Coen’s record as an offensive coordinator is suspect at best?
Hasn't had that many cracks at it. Still relatively young.

He did what no other OC has done since Joker/Sanders. Sniff around 25 passing tuds. He did that flying blind year 1 with a transfer unfamiliar to SEC system etc, and again having to start from scratch with personnel that weren't totally his in terms of system and coaching, a new QB who was battling coming back from injury.

Can't speak for other places but he did his job here. The passing game had been dormant since Brooks. CMS was feeling the pressure to at least pretend to half assed modernize and seem mildly interested in passing production. Enter Coen boom boom 50 air strikes in 2 seasons, and a starting NFL QB, which we haven't had since Couch.

Can anyone point to where Coen was so successful in the past. He was not the OC when the Rams won the Super Bowl. Came to Kentucky and had a generational talent at QB with another NFL wide receiver who was an amazing talent. After that year he leaves to go back to the Rams and led them to a 4-12 season . Then back to UK where we were at the bottom in plays run and offense efficiency and a 7-6 record. I am looking forward to Bush as an improvement in both scheme and play calling.
I get everyone is butt hurt about Coen leaving, but that's revisionist history to say 2021 wasn't the best offense in SToops' tenure, by far, and acting like Levis was a plug and play all-star is ignorant. Levis was a backup run only QB who couldn't get snaps at PSU due to his lack of passing ability. Coen hand picked him and developed him into a early round NFL talent. We don't really know what happened last year, so best to not assume we do, as it could have been any number of issues that held the offense back.

I wanted Coen here when he came the first time and thought he did a fairly good job of taking UK up a little... This past season is one I will try to forget with his play calling and slow to the hut... Slower than molasses on a winter day....
Hope to never see UK run that type of crap again and I think 65 play's are way better than 50.... Bush will make a big difference in this teams growth...
Coen is in the NFL where he wanted to begin with and in Florida where he wanted to live, so I am glad he is gone... And with all this new crap coming out I hope to never hear from him again...

GBB

What "traditional power" did CMS even get to sniff?

I know you're not talking about Aggies. Historically, they were barely a mid-tier B12 team. Haven't done much in the SEC.

The Bucs, with 2 titles in relatively modern times are more of a "traditional power" in the league than Aggies are in the B12/SEC.

Currently, a playoff ready team that could easily advance next post season. Rest assured, if they do, LC will probably get a HC gig and go on the ever-growing list of Kentucky football could've, would've, should've hads...

Hasn't had that many cracks at it. Still relatively young.

He did what no other OC has done since Joker/Sanders. Sniff around 25 passing tuds. He did that flying blind year 1 with a transfer unfamiliar to SEC system etc, and again having to start from scratch with personnel that weren't totally his in terms of system and coaching, a new QB who was battling coming back from injury.

Can't speak for other places but he did his job here. The passing game had been dormant since Brooks. CMS was feeling the pressure to at least pretend to half assed modernize and seem mildly interested in passing production. Enter Coen boom boom 50 air strikes in 2 seasons, and a starting NFL QB, which we haven't had since Couch.

Doesn’t matter enough to me whether you think A&M has a traditional power’s history or not. The job, however, has been an attractive one for coaches in the recent history. If you blame Stoops for entertaining the offer, fine.

Does not change the fact that Coen danced for every team having an audition that would have him. That is the distinction.

Again! Pretty sure this is being done by the Tampa Bay Bucs social media team.

I've heard something like this in pro sports before. The new team wants to "clean out" the coaches prior team's mentions, followers, following. To make sure there is no online appearance of not being devoted, no dual loyalty, no looking back. Pretty sure Coen has been busy with other stuff like filling out his O staff, hired a UK analyst and Georgia's WR coach recently.

Reactions: satcheluk
sack up season 2 GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

Coen hired UK’s senior analyst Brian Picucci. It’s always interesting to learn the talent at the analyst positions. Coen grabs Picucci, but passes on Yenser.

Picucci coached w/ Coen at UMass.

Doesn’t matter enough to me whether you think A&M has a traditional power’s history or not. The job, however, has been an attractive one for coaches in the recent history. If you blame Stoops for entertaining the offer, fine.

Does not change the fact that Coen danced for every team having an audition that would have him. That is the distinction.

Attractive to who? They got nobody on their wish list. They were down to Stoops and Elko.

Nobody is beating down Aggies door. Jimbo didn't beat down their door, it took the richest contract in history to lure him out of the ACC.

Coen is 38 years old and trying to be a HC, in the league specifically. He was never going to be here long term. His coaching lineage is hot now, another 3-5 years it'll be a different coaching tree/system/style that is hot...Probably Harbaugh's...

Coen has to strike now, or he may not get another shot.

I don't really blame Stoops for entertaining the offer, especially for the money Aggies throw around.

I'm not going to blame a much younger coach for better positioning himself to be an HC either.

The distinction is CMS is an HC, and most likely peaking. He got his shot, and he's made a fortune and LC nowhere near his prime, still searching for his shot.

It still amazes me that people get so mad at him when the only difference between he and stoops is that he was actually able to land a job. B
I grant you Stoops tried to leave or heavily flirted to leave this past off season (whatever version a person wants to believe). But let's have some perspective.

1. Stoops has been at UK for 11 seasons.
- Built up UK from low point, 2 Citrus bowls, multiple develop players into NFL, etc...
2. Coen has been at UK for 1 season...left...and then back 2 years later and left after 1 season.
- Has put a good offense on field in 2021 but we can't build a system with his coming and going stuff.

So I have a hard time with an argument the only difference in these two guys is this past off season.

Tampa is a great place to live, but some of the shittiest drivers I have ever seen. It's a dangerous mix of old people driving slow, dumbassess looking at their phone, people driving fast trying to get around all the slow pokes(my category) and a lot of tourists/immigrants who make unexpected moves. Working remotely has totally changed my my life here.

Reactions: Greezy Kreek
So Coen is s
I get everyone is butt hurt about Coen leaving, but that's revisionist history to say 2021 wasn't the best offense in SToops' tenure, by far, and acting like Levis was a plug and play all-star is ignorant. Levis was a backup run only QB who couldn't get snaps at PSU due to his lack of passing ability. Coen hand picked him and developed him into a early round NFL talent. We don't really know what happened last year, so best to not assume we do, as it could have been aIny number of issues that held the offense back.
Are you serious. Coen in his one year with Will developed him into an NFL QB. Same for Robinson?

Coen had a miserable year as OC for the Rams especially in the prism of coming off a SB and then making the playoffs this past year. Then to Ky where we were last in the nation in plays run per game in spite of having a QB who was picked as the pre-season MVP in the ACC before being injured and transferring.

My guess is that the RAMS were happy that he left the second time and that Stoops and associates were ready to try something new in 2024.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Blocked me on twitter for posting on a Bucks thread that he might not stay too long. 🤣🤣🤣
I think you guys are letting Coen in your heads. His second stint was not decent not good. Not to mention it was one that could have feature a flex TE that would have free Davis at the RB spot. Let Coen go, and move on to realize we are getting ready to have a Very good OC who will more than likely be here for more than 1 year.

I think you guys are letting Coen in your heads. His second stint was not decent not good. Not to mention it was one that could have feature a flex TE that would have free Davis at the RB spot. Let Coen go, and move on to realize we are getting ready to have a Very good OC who will more than likely be here for more than 1 year.
He's definitely not in my head. I just thought it was funny that an NFL coach got so bent about a fan post that he blocked the account.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I grant you Stoops tried to leave or heavily flirted to leave this past off season (whatever version a person wants to believe). But let's have some perspective.

1. Stoops has been at UK for 11 seasons.
- Built up UK from low point, 2 Citrus bowls, multiple develop players into NFL, etc...
2. Coen has been at UK for 1 season...left...and then back 2 years later and left after 1 season.
- Has put a good offense on field in 2021 but we can't build a system with his coming and going stuff.

So I have a hard time with an argument the only difference in these two guys is this past off season.
I say this to make the point that I also do not blame stoops. It's part of the business. It isn't 1985 anymore. It's not just this past season with TAMU, stoops has been fishing for several years and he always found himself in a fallback option type position on the searching lists. When he assessed where he was in pecking order, he would just get his raise from barnhart and move on out of the way. He's been open to it for many seasons he just hasn't found a suitor. He was also a backup option for TAMU but they worked their way through their candidate list and apparently got to his level of coach. I still don't know how Bjork settled on a defensive version of the guy he had just fired, but he did. Then fans revolted and the BOT nixed it. Stoops has been feeling out jobs for a long time it just isn't released out there as confirmed info in college like the NFL does since they worry about recruiting and the emotional fan base reactions. We just know everything about Coen because it was the NFL and they openly tell people who they are interviewing and considering.

Attractive to who? They got nobody on their wish list. They were down to Stoops and Elko.

Nobody is beating down Aggies door. Jimbo didn't beat down their door, it took the richest contract in history to lure him out of the ACC.

Coen is 38 years old and trying to be a HC, in the league specifically. He was never going to be here long term. His coaching lineage is hot now, another 3-5 years it'll be a different coaching tree/system/style that is hot...Probably Harbaugh's...

Coen has to strike now, or he may not get another shot.

I don't really blame Stoops for entertaining the offer, especially for the money Aggies throw around.

I'm not going to blame a much younger coach for better positioning himself to be an HC either.

The distinction is CMS is an HC, and most likely peaking. He got his shot, and he's made a fortune and LC nowhere near his prime, still searching for his shot.

Bear Bryant, Gene Stallings, Kevin Sumlin, Jimbo Fisher. There is also a lot of money at A&M. I think this is an agree to disagree moment.

As to Coen, you can justify his voracious appetite to job hop and interview all you want. I don’t care. It’s just not comparable to Stoops. Not in any bit.

Reactions: mattrudd
Seems as if Liams dream is to be in the NFL....somewhere. he may catch lightning in a bottle with Mayfield, may not

He has pretty much made it clear his time with anything Kentucky related (other than former players headed into the league) is over.

Statistically speaking and results speaking, he has had one very very good year out of three...his first at UK. His stint at the Rams was horrible, his second go round at Kentucky was less than desired

Best of luck to him and his family. If I had a vote, I would vote against a third stay at UK.

Reactions: Greezy Kreek
Coen will be one and done at the Bucs too. They do not have the personnel to run his system, and the O-line isn't built to do a lot of wide zone blocking. He must have wanted out of UK badly to have taken that job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT