ADVERTISEMENT

Levis’ Slide…

Frankly I was surprised he was considered a first round pick to begin with.
It's not to say I don't think he can't be a successful QB in the NFL, it's just that in the two years at UK I really didn't see anything that screamed out first round.

Notable Qb's from the Past and Present who weren't taken in the first round.

Tom Brady - Round 6
Kirk Cousins - Round 4
Drew Brees - Round 2
Joe Montana - Round 3
Jalen Hurts - Round 2
Brett Favre - Round 2
Dan Fouts - Round 3
Johnny Unitas - Round 9

There are plenty more out there who have managed to have some modicum of success who weren't first rounders. Still early for Brock Purdy, but he silenced a few doubters when he got a chance to play.

Frankly I was surprised he was considered a first round pick to begin with.
It's not to say I don't think he can't be a successful QB in the NFL, it's just that in the two years at UK I really didn't see anything that screamed out first round.
I think a lot of it was based on potential and measurables. Plus he was playing in a pro-style system under Coen. We thought he was going to get much of the same with Scang, but that went by the wayside. So I think they thought his learning curve would be shorter than most adapting to the style of play.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Stealing that 32nd pic from Duh Bears looks better every minute. Maybe we can land JP jr. AND Banks or Washington.

Damn, he's choosing to not attend day2, where I have to imagine some one will pick him (He's not going in the 4th).. thats a BAD look. Someone should tell him "You have to go tot his, no matter how much it might suck".

• Wow
Reactions: catben
To those jumping to pile on Levis, the final chapter of this little etude hasn't been written. Let's see what today brings. My concern is if teams really are worried about his foot will he be drafted at all?

Saw where normally there would have been 32 picks in first round but dolphins got their pick taken away from nfl for violations. So if Levis goes 1st in second round, In any other year he would have actually been drafted in first round. Not that it matters, but just funny that it sounds like another “only at uk” deal.

Damn, he's choosing to not attend day2, where I have to imagine some one will pick him (He's not going in the 4th).. thats a BAD look. Someone should tell him "You have to go tot his, no matter how much it might suck".

I agree with this. Showing up would be the best show of character. You don’t always get what you want and life isn’t always easy. Hell he should feel lucky just to even get drafted period. He’ll make more money in a few years than most people in a lifetime.

Not showing up can’t bode well for his status tonight.

If he doesn’t show up and after not playing the bowl game, I wouldn’t bother me if he didn’t get drafted at all.

• Wow
Reactions: catben

Tom Brady - Round 6
Kirk Cousins - Round 4
Drew Brees - Round 2
Joe Montana - Round 3
Jalen Hurts - Round 2
Brett Favre - Round 2
Dan Fouts - Round 3
Johnny Unitas - Round 9

There are plenty more out there who have managed to have some modicum of success who weren't first rounders. Still early for Brock Purdy, but he silenced a few doubters when he got a chance to play.
No problem at all being a round 2 or later guy if it hadn’t been for the top 10 hype right up until the draft began.

I feel bad for him. The Ole Miss game really killed our season and his draft stock. Had we went after his first year..I think he could have been Top 10. I hope nothing but the best for him.
I don’t know if I agree with that. If you go back, nobody was talking Top 10 for Levis until Mel Kiper entered the picture and think about it, it really came out of nowhere from him. When you really go back and look at the articles and the pre draft hype, it’s all based on Mel Kiper’s opinion. I think a lot of the media guys just took it and ran with it and never did any real investigation for themselves because Mel Kiper is really respected among the media circles. I think this is just an example of one guys opinion and it just snowballed. I think the scouts were on hand like they always were but the chatter made it seem like they were there more.

This feels like a wag the dog situation

Because negs breed more negs. After 30 years here and improving as we have, I thought that part of KY would've changed. It just shows you that negativity can be passed down generation to generation.

This is good for Will Levis as he always played best with a chip on his shoulder. It's just motivation

I think you’re missing the “perception” aspect of this as it relates to being “the most Kentucky football thing ever”. I don’t think anyone who followed Levis closely over the past two seasons, and who understands how the NFL evaluates, is surprised by his slide.

What is “classic UK football” is all the hype that happened leading up to the draft of him being 1st round, top 10, top 5, possibly even number one and then going undrafted on night one while the camera pans he and his family looking totally befuddled. It’s Stoops and Coen making media rounds to promote Coen, and promote UK (as they should) leading up to the draft so as to capitalize on his imminent top 5 selection (again, as they should be) only to have it blow up in their face with him stuck in the green room.

So in this particular case, what I am deeming as “being so UK football” is simply the hope, the expectations, the promise of something, the belief, etc that only true UK football fans are familiar with, only to be let down again.

Pick makes sense...I don't think some know how draft works. Only so many teams need a qb...if you're a later pick and he's still there you pass and wait and get another need that may not be there.

Sorry some of you got duped by reddit and a marketing campaign

Most ignorant take on this ever. Classic LOD response.

Case in point. What’s ignorant is your inability to recognize the nuance of this point.

Kentucky about to beat LSU at home, Coach M already with a Gatorade bath before the Tigers catch a last second “miracle” touchdown.

Not giving it to Cobb on the last play.

Installing the greatest high school QB ever, Tim Couch (at the time), into an option offense.

Losing the greatest football coach of all time (Bear Bryant) over contract inequity.

Not covering a wide open receiver against Florida.

Running a reverse for a fumble scoop and score on the first play from scrimmage against South Carolina.

I could go on and on and on and on in a long list of absolute head-scratching blunders that have been the modus operandi for Kentucky football since it’s inception.

If you cant see how Will Levis strutting around with his gun show and “cause I got a cannon and want to show it off” all the while Stoops and Coen making media rounds to seize the moment, a moment in which they’re certain he’s going to be a top 5 pick (again, as they should have been given every indicator had him there), Levis sitting in the green room with a camera on him 37 times evidently, only to ultimately not get drafted on night one……if you think equating that to a long line of “classic UK football blunders” is just “ignorance from the LOD” then I don’t know what to tell you. Wake up.

Case in point. What’s ignorant is your inability to recognize the nuance of this point.

Kentucky about to beat LSU at home, Coach M already with a Gatorade bath before the Tigers catch a last second “miracle” touchdown.

Not giving it to Cobb on the last play.

Installing the greatest high school QB ever, Tim Couch (at the time), into an option offense.

Losing the greatest football coach of all time (Bear Bryant) over contract inequity.

Not covering a wide open receiver against Florida.

Running a reverse for a fumble scoop and score on the first play from scrimmage against South Carolina.

I could go on and on and on and on in a long list of absolute head-scratching blunders that have been the modus operandi for Kentucky football since it’s inception.

If you cant see how Will Levis strutting around with his gun show and “cause I got a cannon and want to show it off” all the while Stoops and Coen making media rounds to seize the moment, a moment in which they’re certain he’s going to be a top 5 pick (again, as they should have been given every indicator had him there), Levis sitting in the green room with a camera on him 37 times evidently, only to ultimately not get drafted on night one……if you think equating that to a long line of “classic UK football blunders” is just “ignorance from the LOD” then I don’t know what to tell you. Wake up.

I hate it for Levi’s as he’s a good dude to me and the camera we’re only on him. But to dump this thirty years of low moments in Ky history is a bit much. And whet in heck does Ky/Stoops have to do with Will going to green room? That decision is will , his agent snd nfl …nothing to do with Ky

And this happens every year and Will was not the only person in that situation

How did Brandon find his way to a UK Football message board? That's 2 letters big guy, no ice cream for you today.
No one, absolutely no one ever on the face of the earth has appreciated the spelling police while typing with two fingers on a tiny screen.

This does not make you look smart, especially piling back on when he politely told you he didn't share your passion for spelling. Have you never had a typo?

I fixed ten typos in my response message. I cant spell. Yet I have made nearly a quarter million dollars from six books I have written. How many books have you sold? How many times have you been paid for your written words by people you do not know? Surely an illiterate cant be more successful than you?

Bet you are fun at work.

I hate it for Levi’s as he’s a good dude to me and the camera we’re only on him. But to dump this thirty years of low moments in Ky history is a bit much. And whet in heck does Ky/Stoops have to do with Will going to green room? That decision is will , his agent snd nfl …nothing to do with Ky

And this happens every year and Will was not the only person in that situation

30 years? Haha, try about 60 years. And I didn’t say UK made him go to the green room.
Will was KENTUCKY’s Quarterback. He was representing Kentucky in that green room. They don’t announce “Will Levis, Quarterback from Will Levis college/university”. They say “Will Levis, Quarterback Kentucky”. .

Am I really having to explain what Kentucky’s QB has to do with Kentucky football?

No matter how you slice it, round one draft night sucked for Levis and sucked for Kentucky. It was the exact moment we needed with Coen coming back. To have “Coen’s guy” go top 5 on national television, to interview Coen/Stoops (both in attendance) right after could have been monumental for QB recruiting going forward. For the record I still think Coen will get one of his top 2-3 choices moving forward, but make no mistake, Levis not going top 5 was a colossal missed opportunity, as has been the theme of Kentucky football for as long as anyone can remember.

• Wow
Reactions: Ky grandpa
Levis played well under Coen (first year in the system) without a deep, solid WR core, but a good OL.

Levis suddenly plays worse and gets injured when the OL just lets the defense through and the OC doesn't seem to understand a quick pass.

It's not a coincidence. Teams can say whatever they want about the toe, but Will's slide comes down to Scang, college personnel, and idiots running these professional organizations. Levis under Coen's system last year would've easily been a top 5 pick. Will has all the potential in the world — more than Richardson for sure — but I'm 100% that issues beyond Levis' control (i.e., the ineptitude of others) were the biggest reasons for his slide.

Blaming it on Stoops, who tried to get another Coen, failed, fired the guy, and then rehired Coen, is short-sighted tom-f***kery.

2¢. Long ass thread, so I didn't feel compelled to read every last response.

30 years? Haha, try about 60 years. And I didn’t say UK made him go to the green room.
Will was KENTUCKY’s Quarterback. He was representing Kentucky in that green room. They don’t announce “Will Levis, Quarterback from Will Levis college/university”. They say “Will Levis, Quarterback Kentucky”. .

Am I really having to explain what Kentucky’s QB has to do with Kentucky football?

No matter how you slice it, round one draft night sucked for Levis and sucked for Kentucky. It was the exact moment we needed with Coen coming back. To have “Coen’s guy” go top 5 on national television, to interview Coen/Stoops (both in attendance) right after could have been monumental for QB recruiting going forward. For the record I still think Coen will get one of his top 2-3 choices moving forward, but make no mistake, Levis not going top 5 was a colossal missed opportunity, as has been the theme of Kentucky football for as long as anyone can remember.
Calm down Gina!

1. You threaded guy morris getting a pre mature Gatorade bath in LSU game nearly thirty years ago …to running a weird play to open the USC game in October to Will Levis in the green room….why not bring up pitino not guarding grant hill pass to laetner vs Duke? You’re all over the place….calm down dude
2. Stoops or Coen had zero to do with Will in the green room. I get he’s the former Ky Qb when announced….but he snd his agent are making these decisions….not UK football staff
3. Will not going top 5 vs 33 pick…it’s over. The only thing Ky football could have done better is not hire Scangerello in the first place. That cost Will….but it’s over now. Finally, thr nfl draft is all kinds of stuff you can’t control anyway. Like we beat rhe crap out of Anthony Richardson….made him look like a scrub…he goes in to complete 53%! Of his passes last year ….but goes 4th pick because he csn run fast , jump high (neither which matters a ton in playing Qb in nfl) and csn do a back flip. Go figure! Will, warts and all, was a ton better playing the same sec teams than Ar15 was

But hammer Stoops all you want. The four star qbs we are competing for still want to be in that geeen room like Will

Tom Brady - Round 6
Kirk Cousins - Round 4
Drew Brees - Round 2
Joe Montana - Round 3
Jalen Hurts - Round 2
Brett Favre - Round 2
Dan Fouts - Round 3
Johnny Unitas - Round 9

Several Hall of Famers in that group and more to come.

They might be hoping for that but Jackson and Hurts were both elite players in college. Jackson won a Heisman and Hurts was SEC Offensive Player of the Year, not to mention Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.

Any of these hopes with Richardson are based on being a workout warrior because on the field he has been mediocre at the absolute best. His ascension to a top 5 pick in the draft is one of the more bizarre things I have seen in the NFL draft.
One of the dumbest things I heard a talking head say came from Colin Cowherd (surprise😂). He talked about how teams don’t want cocky (whaaaat?) and Will Levis just loves Will Levis.

Now has Cowherd ever met Levis? Was this remotely a narrative at any point during his college career? Nope. But Cowherd was all about Richardson.

When Richardson said he’s going to be greatest QB of all time and he’s like an “alien QB” that’s not cocky apparently.

NFL and NBA teams kill me. The drafting on potential when they also have an entire season of tape to judge someone’s actual in-game decisions as opposed to working out in a tank and shorts under no pressure.

Richardson was terrible. He will be terrible as he’s a product of hype. This isn’t necessarily an endorsement of Levis but if Levis didn’t deserve to be top five, Richardson sure as heck didn’t either.

Lifelong Kentucky Football fan here but Will Levis’ slide in this draft has got to be the most “UK football” thing ever. Just absolutely classic and par for the course that is the misery of being a fan.
Keep sucking on Hookers nut sack, or hope that bearbrohm who no other P5 program went after makes 7's competitive against UK.

I think you’re missing the “perception” aspect of this as it relates to being “the most Kentucky football thing ever”. I don’t think anyone who followed Levis closely over the past two seasons, and who understands how the NFL evaluates, is surprised by his slide.

What is “classic UK football” is all the hype that happened leading up to the draft of him being 1st round, top 10, top 5, possibly even number one and then going undrafted on night one while the camera pans he and his family looking totally befuddled. It’s Stoops and Coen making media rounds to promote Coen, and promote UK (as they should) leading up to the draft so as to capitalize on his imminent top 5 selection (again, as they should be) only to have it blow up in their face with him stuck in the green room.

So in this particular case, what I am deeming as “being so UK football” is simply the hope, the expectations, the promise of something, the belief, etc that only true UK football fans are familiar with, only to be let down again.
Actually what's classic is we have another troll poster "hate to burst your bubble" you're not an original just another FruadGuy7's

Hindsight us 20-20 but one of those 4 QB's was destined to slip to the second round. There were 3 teams that desperately needed a QB and one that needed one but desperately needed an Olineman. When the Colts. took Richardson, Levis was the odd man out. Noone else needed a QB in the first round. Had the Colts taken Levis, the Titans would have taken Richardson in the second round.

Last edited:
Calm down Gina!

1. You threaded guy morris getting a pre mature Gatorade bath in LSU game nearly thirty years ago …to running a weird play to open the USC game in October to Will Levis in the green room….why not bring up pitino not guarding grant hill pass to laetner vs Duke? You’re all over the place….calm down dude
2. Stoops or Coen had zero to do with Will in the green room. I get he’s the former Ky Qb when announced….but he snd his agent are making these decisions….not UK football staff
3. Will not going top 5 vs 33 pick…it’s over. The only thing Ky football could have done better is not hire Scangerello in the first place. That cost Will….but it’s over now. Finally, thr nfl draft is all kinds of stuff you can’t control anyway. Like we beat rhe crap out of Anthony Richardson….made him look like a scrub…he goes in to complete 53%! Of his passes last year ….but goes 4th pick because he csn run fast , jump high (neither which matters a ton in playing Qb in nfl) and csn do a back flip. Go figure! Will, warts and all, was a ton better playing the same sec teams than Ar15 was

But hammer Stoops all you want. The four star qbs we are competing for still want to be in that geeen room like Will

I think I’ve figured out the disconnect in our debate. I need to define “so Kentucky football”. I’m talking about our LUCK. I used the above negative instances in our history to demonstrate our “bad luck”.

Another would be: When we were driving on Ole Miss at their place last season with a chance to win the game and ended up losing no one was really surprised by it because that’s “Kentucky football” and that’s our LUCK. If something bad or incomprehensible is going to happen it usually happens to UK football. That’s not to say we haven’t had our share of good moments and good times, but the overall prevailing theme for UK football fans has been moments of let down, sadness, missed opportunities….chalk it all up to bad luck. A curse if you will, the curse of “Rupp getting a Cadillac and Bryant getting a wrist watch”. We seem to experience it more as a whole than any other college football fan base in the country.

Levis being one of the few big time prospects at QB over the last 25 years to be sitting and waiting in the green room (Rodgers and Quinn the other that come to memory) when UK football has so much to gain if he gets drafted top 5 is again classic Kentucky “LUCK” ah-lah “the most Kentucky football thing ever”. It’s yet again a missed opportunity, a let down, etc. I’m not saying it’s any one person’s fault or that it can be attributed to any one thing, but that it’s simply consistent with what generally happens to UK football when we’re anticipating something good happening.

Why you keep telling me that Stoops and Coen had nothing to do with Levis being in the green room is beyond me. I’m not implying that Stoops and Coen stood on a sideline and drew up a play for Levis to be in the green room. I’m simply listing this general instance in a long line of UK football broad sense, wide spectrum, all encompassing existence of let downs. That’s it.

That’s why I say that having Will Levis be embarrassed on national television due to not being picked, when he was a Vegas lead-pipe-lock to be picked in the first round, and when our program could gain so much from him being chosen early by way of good pub/exposure, is “so Kentucky football” because that’s just our “LUCK”.

Whew, my God, man. This can’t be that difficult. It’s just a throw away comment that gets made on here virtually every year due to our history and all-of-sudden people are defensive about it.

The interview stuff is BS. He crushed the Zoom interview yesterday with Titans radio. They loved his interview with them. Also, Mike Keith the voice of the Titans and Dave McGinnis both said it’s apparent the Titans really wanted Levis by trying to move up in the first round and then ultimately moving up in 2nd to get him.

One of the dumbest things I heard a talking head say came from Colin Cowherd (surprise😂). He talked about how teams don’t want cocky (whaaaat?) and Will Levis just loves Will Levis.

Now has Cowherd ever met Levis? Was this remotely a narrative at any point during his college career? Nope. But Cowherd was all about Richardson.

When Richardson said he’s going to be greatest QB of all time and he’s like an “alien QB” that’s not cocky apparently.

NFL and NBA teams kill me. The drafting on potential when they also have an entire season of tape to judge someone’s actual in-game decisions as opposed to working out in a tank and shorts under no pressure.

Richardson was terrible. He will be terrible as he’s a product of hype. This isn’t necessarily an endorsement of Levis but if Levis didn’t deserve to be top five, Richardson sure as heck didn’t either.
The interesting part is Cowherd loved Will Levis prior to the combine. Loved him. Some things must have come out at the combine, interviews or otherwise, that some executives and scouts didn’t like. He had to have heard it from somewhere.

The point is, we hear all the hype, the predictions, etc. We see him making his media rounds. Stoops, Coen, etc out promoting Levis and peacocking out there thinking he’s going top 5, and he’s about to walk out of the green room not drafted tonight. The camera is showing him over and over again with a look of disappointment. His mother with tears in her eyes, God Bless her. Again, this is classic UK football.
Raftard or troll

The interview stuff is BS. He crushed the Zoom interview yesterday with Titans radio. They loved his interview with them. Also, Mike Keith the voice of the Titans and Dave McGinnis both said it’s apparent the Titans really wanted Levis by trying to move up in the first round and then ultimately moving up in 2nd to get him.
Yeah. I don’t get it. Meanwhile arrogant as hell Hunter Dickinson is getting all the love in the media.
makes no sense

Reactions: Girthang
Not much of a college football guy.. But I still believe Levis playing in the SEC, for a non-football program (even though we've been pretty solid lately), going up against elite talent almost every week, is worth more than people think. And it's not like he had some great team around him, or great offensive schemes.

It's kind of why I liked Josh Allen on draft day.. he had to play above himself and elevate his team at Wyoming.. Where I'm not so sure QBs for Bama and Ohio St. aren't the ones being elevated.
WTF is a non football program?

The Levis story is a great story. Rated 5.6 3* out of HS by Rivals, he had a modest offer sheet that included Iowa, BC, Syracuse, Ole Miss and a whole list of smaller East Coast schools before signing with Penn St. He left there and headed to UK where he hooked up with Liam Coen to become a NFL prospect. He ended up taken 33 over all out of what 270 or so draftees? Not bad. His is a story that any college football fan should appreciate and is a credit to Levis, Stoops/Coen and UK. To poo-poo the story is ridiculous.

No one, absolutely no one ever on the face of the earth has appreciated the spelling police while typing with two fingers on a tiny screen.

This does not make you look smart, especially piling back on when he politely told you he didn't share your passion for spelling. Have you never had a typo?

I fixed ten typos in my response message. I cant spell. Yet I have made nearly a quarter million dollars from six books I have written. How many books have you sold? How many times have you been paid for your written words by people you do not know? Surely an illiterate cant be more successful than you?

Bet you are fun at work.

Lmao. Take a pamprin sweetie.

Even the original poster had a sense of humor about it.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT