ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s be real on coach Calipari

I don't think we SHOULD lose anyone sans Knox off this team. But it's hard to be optimistic about it knowing how many usually leave. The only one I couldn't care less if we lost is Diallo. If his game matched his attitude, he would be incredible.
Knox will go. I can’t disagree with you about Diallo. Shai may go but I think he returns along with the rest of the players.

Anyone saying we need to get rid of Cal is literally retarded in their thinking! Good grief people! 4 final 4's, national championship, 2 elite 8's in 8 seasons!!!!! We were one shot away from a final 4 last year.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! We're having a bad season. Get over it! Season isn't even over & Cal has been amazing. Are you serious?

I’m beginning to look at these people in much the same way I look at people who don’t like The Beatles and don’t understand their influence on music.

I just mentally pat them on their head and say, “Bless you heart”.[winking]

Not much point in getting in a discussion with them.

I give Cal a pass. Am I aggravated as the next guy about this team? Absolutely, but Cal has sure brought us a ton of fun since he's been here. Lol
I love that he has morals and teaches these young guys about life and how to be a man. We don't see that very much with other coaches.
Yeah I'm sick of who leaves every year even though they are not ready but who can blame them really.
I love Cal's swagger. I don't like the nonstop screaming and yelling on the sidelines but that's his style.
I get tired of hearing how he's got to cram everything in to one season when in reality he doesn't have to.
But with all that, I still like Cal and hope he finishes out his years here. Hopefully, and I believe he will, he changes things up and gets us back to where we all want to be.

Reactions: stenchymouse
Cal's first six years ......... we were 75% against ranked teams... the last 3 seasons we are 48% against ranked teams at 10 wins and 11 losses.

we have 24 losses this season and the previous two... previously the worst 3 year stretch was '12-'14 with 25 losses but we had a title and a national runner up in that 3 year stretch of losses. this 3 year stretch has an elite 8 and a 2nd round loss so far ... plus you know we'll have more than 25 losses when its over

so yes we are trending down since that wisconsin loss. Anyone who cant see that is simply trying to hide their head in the sand...or doesnt know what trending downward means.

One thing that many of our fans fail to realize is that we're competing for players against other programs who have been cheating.

We're mad at Coach Cal because Duke is playing dirty and is untouchable.

Cal's got this!!

He may have to adjust how he's doing things, and he can't come out and say whats REALLY going on, but I GUARANTEE you that he WILL find a way to overcome the obstacles that are being placed in front of him and UK in general.
My only problem with his recruiting is, not looking at a few in state players who would most likely stick around for 4 years like a Willis, Hawkins or Miller. There are 5 or 6 Kentucky natives playing on fairly good D-1 teams and seeing good minutes, now all you need is one or two every other year or so. Nothing like some upper class leadership to show freshmen the ropes.

I'm not crucifying Cal at all. His body of work speaks for itself and this year is an anomaly, rather than the norm. Happy as hell he is here, but I also don't think he is above criticism like many on here do. People think that if you criticize Cal, that means you automatically want him out. They say, "Ok, who else would you rather have?". To which I reply, "NO ONE" But he isn't above criticism when he does something idiotic like not call a TO at the end of a game, or not have your best scorer in at the end of a game. I will also be the first to praise him when he does great. Same goes for the players.

And that second statement just isn't true. Bledsoe, Wall, Kanter, AD all had red flags, just to name a few.
I've criticized Cal myself, but when too many start jumping on the "cal sucks" narrative, I feel the need to try and balance it out.

I personally believe that Cal has overplayed the "players first" theme, and H.S. players have pretty much proved that they don't appreciate that theme any more than UK fans do.

I also think that Cal has cost us games by being stubborn and trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

He'd be better off, just to recruit to his system and develop some guys instead of trying to taking talented freshmen and giving them a crash course in basketball 101.

I've been all about the OAD, but at this point, I'm over it.

Give me one a year, two at the most, and fill out the roster with 2nd tier guys.

Reactions: MWes11
The point is, they all had some sort of red flag, true or untrue. Wall sat out 5 or 9 games (if I remember correctly).

Wall sat two games.

Rumor and innuendo and red flags are two different things to me.

Wall sat two games.

Rumor and innuendo and red flags are two different things to me.
He paid back money that he took. How is that a rumor?

But either way, it is what it is. Board has been active today. Love discussing with other members of the BBN, even if we have differing opinions.

I’m beginning to look at these people in much the same way I look at people who don’t like The Beatles and don’t understand their influence on music.

I just mentally pat them on their head and say, “Bless you heart”.[winking]

Not much point in getting in a discussion with them.

Beatles are the most overrated band of all time. Terrible sound.

Sometimes I enjoy cleaning my guns with Lennon cloth, really brings out the natural residue.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Cal's first six years ......... we were 75% against ranked teams... the last 3 seasons we are 48% against ranked teams at 10 wins and 11 losses.

we have 24 losses this season and the previous two... previously the worst 3 year stretch was '12-'14 with 25 losses but we had a title and a national runner up in that 3 year stretch of losses. this 3 year stretch has an elite 8 and a 2nd round loss so far ... plus you know we'll have more than 25 losses when its over

so yes we are trending down since that wisconsin loss. Anyone who cant see that is simply trying to hide their head in the sand...or doesnt know what trending downward means.
We are trending down due to high level experienced players on those 4 highest win teams absent on the others.

I'm guessing he's referring to this season and the potential loss of several players off a bad team. Then the potential addition of only 3 players next year. I could understand that mindset. But if we are looking at the past few years also, then I'm with you.

I don't think we SHOULD lose anyone sans Knox off this team. But it's hard to be optimistic about it knowing how many usually leave. The only one I couldn't care less if we lost is Diallo. If his game matched his attitude, he would be incredible.

But where does this come from?

Again, we do not USUALLY have freshmen leave that are not 1st Rounders.

If we have freshmen other than Knox leave this season that would be highly UNUSUAL, because it has never happened before.

I cant stop laughing at these people whining over something that has yet to happen.

It definitley could but it never has and it isnt a fact like so many make it out to be.

Beatles are the most overrated band of all time. Terrible sound.

Sometimes I enjoy cleaning my guns with Lennon cloth, really brings out the natural residue.
Overrated? meh..maybe a little, but I'm an Elvis guy myself..

But where does this come from?

Again, we do not USUALLY have freshmen leave that are not 1st Rounders.

If we have freshmen other than Knox leave this season that would be highly UNUSUAL, because it has never happened before.

I cant stop laughing at these people whining over something that has yet to happen.

It definitley could but it never has and it isnt a fact like so many make it out to be.

**cleare throat, rubs forehead, screams internally**

Briscoe.

Diallo.

I know, I know. But I can't tell if the feeling in my stomach is because I haven't been laid in over a week, or because we lose 5 players to nowhere.

**cleare throat, rubs forehead, screams internally**

Briscoe.

Diallo.

I know, I know. But I can't tell if the feeling in my stomach is because I haven't been laid in over a week, or because we lose 5 players to nowhere.

Briscoe wasnt a freshman.

Daillo hasnt left yet.

I thought you were married? Why do you expect to get laid?

No doubt cal changed the recruiting landscape when he did other teams like puke did as well. Now you get the Oklahomas and Texas teams of the world that convince guys to go their and be the man for a yr and then go make their money. For those that feel cal stopped caring after 2012 is bullshit he has goals we should of won it in 2014 and 2015. Besides the fact we lost our best recruiter in coach o and have to rely on barbee and Justus hurts us. Justus is just starting out and it will take him sometime. We need a proven recruiter who can bring in pf/c type players which is what coach o could do. Pgs are the easy part since cal has always gone after and 9/10 got the pg he wants except for young he gets his. Last year you had to take green because we didn't know if Alexander could handle it since hindsight is 50/50. He looks great but when tthe rest of the team doesn't contribute it makes sga look even better than anyone else. I still think he needs another yr and a backcourt of him/ quickly would be dynamite. We desperately need to find another big of some sort. I do expect pj weynen and Vanderbilt back next yr as none of them are ready. Cal is ten steps ahead of us. He will right the ship and work overtime to make sure we don't have another year like this again. In cal I trust. If you think he's on some type of a "hot seat" you're insane and need to find a new damn team to root for

Trending downward?

Following is a post I made earlier:

Why do many people seem to ignore the performance of Cal's recent UK teams?

2017 We brought in 2.5 studs. We lost in the Elite Eight to the eventual national champs (on a questionable no-call) whom we had beaten earlier in the season.
Record: 32-6
SEC champs. SEC Tournament champs. #2 seed.

2016 a disappointing season only by UK standards. One of our biggest recruits turned out to be a big disappointment. The team had two players who would have been outstanding on any UK team -- but not much else.
Yet...SEC champs. SEC Tournament champs.

2015 38-1
Final Four

2014 NCAA runners-up

Other than the NCAA titles themselves -- which is a BIG deal -- who else has had this much success in recent history.

Cal's not perfect, but it's been a great run. IMHO we UK fans are embarrassing ourselves to the rest of college basketball fans.

I mean if you can't see a downward trajectory in wins and recruiting since 2015 I don't really know what to tell you. Now that doesn't mean it's been bad by any stretch but in the last 3 years, we had a 2nd round exit, Elite 8 and then let's say a first or second round exit this year (to be generous). That's basically Tubby.

Again, I love Cal, but we aren't elite right now and Cal is being paid to be elite. He needs to turn it around.

I mean if you can't see a downward trajectory in wins and recruiting since 2015 I don't really know what to tell you. Now that doesn't mean it's been bad by any stretch but in the last 3 years, we had a 2nd round exit, Elite 8 and then let's say a first or second round exit this year (to be generous). That's basically Tubby.

Again, I love Cal, but we aren't elite right now and Cal is being paid to be elite. He needs to turn it around.
old-person-confused.jpg

One thing that many of our fans fail to realize is that we're competing for players against other programs who have been cheating.

We're mad at Coach Cal because Duke is playing dirty and is untouchable.

Cal's got this!!

He may have to adjust how he's doing things, and he can't come out and say whats REALLY going on, but I GUARANTEE you that he WILL find a way to overcome the obstacles that are being placed in front of him and UK in general.
We know that Adidas was putting out cash for top rated players to go to Adidas schools

Reactions: brianpoe
"He will right the ship and work overtime to make sure we don't have another year like this again"

Well, I agree he will work hard to get as many 5 stars as he can. Personally, I suspect he doesn't think there's a problem.

"He will right the ship and work overtime to make sure we don't have another year like this again"

Well, I agree he will work hard to get as many 5 stars as he can. Personally, I suspect he doesn't think there's a problem.

Seriously?

Barnhardt and Bell won't even get close to the grey areas when it comes to recruiting.

Am I the only one that doesn't know that this is a fact? Seems an easy way to excuse recruiting losses. But there were questions, founded or not, about Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, and Davis and we took them.

Cal has been magnificent at recruiting. He doesn’t do much coaching. We should have at least two more titles. Seeing the scroll at the bottom of the screen last night showing all uk players in the nba it becomes more evident
We have a winner. At this pace, Cal will be viewed the same as Dean Smith. Had the most talent and did little with it.

Am I the only one that doesn't know that this is a fact? Seems an easy way to excuse recruiting losses. But there were questions, founded or not, about Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, and Davis and we took them.

You obvious dont recall the circumstances....

Wall incurred $800 in expenses on unofficial visits... which most likely had zero to do with any request or decision by him as an 18 year old.

Cousins had no eligibility concerns I can remember?

Bledsoe... most likely of the bunch to have experienced some form of cheating. But it wasnt any college that did that, it was his own teachers trying to help him graduate.

Davis..... Pete Thamel hit piece on $200k payment... (Thamel tried the same with Noel the next season)

So your examples are not very strong in making this case, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT