ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s be real on coach Calipari

Catswin9

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2015
Remember the excitement Cal has brought to this program. The simple fact is the 2017 recruiting class was not very deep.

We live in a instant gratification society. Sadly, many fail to see the big picture anymore. Are you one of them?

Do you want to give the opportunity to AD Barnhart to hire a new coach?

Better days has been a constant throughout The Program - The Kentucky Wildcats.

One thing that many of our fans fail to realize is that we're competing for players against other programs who have been cheating.

We're mad at Coach Cal because Duke is playing dirty and is untouchable.

Cal's got this!!

He may have to adjust how he's doing things, and he can't come out and say whats REALLY going on, but I GUARANTEE you that he WILL find a way to overcome the obstacles that are being placed in front of him and UK in general.

Coach Cal has been magnificent. However, it's obvious the general trend of the program is downward. It's on him to adapt and get us moving up again.

Cal has been magnificent at recruiting. He doesn’t do much coaching. We should have at least two more titles. Seeing the scroll at the bottom of the screen last night showing all uk players in the nba it becomes more evident

Remember the excitement Cal has brought to this program. The simple fact is the 2017 recruiting class was not very deep.

We live in a instant gratification society. Sadly, many fail to see the big picture anymore. Are you one of them?

I can understand both sides. Cal does need to make some changes and I believe he will.

For the people that are unhappy right now with Cal, remember Rupp had a lot more bad seasons than Cal has had so far and he’s the greatest coach we’ve ever had.

Reactions: westerncat
Coach Cal is 15th all time in winning percentage at .7788. Only active coaches with better percentages are Royboy and Mark Few. Dude can coach!

His own success make years like this look worse. It's like when the market is up 12 quarters in a row. But a correction comes along and it's down 2% for a quarter and people freak out. Can't have 38-1 teams or 2 loss champs every year. Just can't happen!

I would in no way say the program is trending downward, that's nuts. We are kentucky, we have a great coach that won't stand for multiple crappy seasons. His ego is to big for him to keep having seasons like this. We will have shooters next season with the guys coming back we will be fine. My only hope is the team does the summer trip to where ever to bond and get some game time under their belt.

Love coach Cal! Best we could have gotten and hope he stays as long as he wants. Having said that, the times have changed and he's gotta find a new way to retain key role players to go along with these one and dones. He's gotta adapt to the times.

Reactions: goten170
One thing that many of our fans fail to realize is that we're competing for players against other programs who have been cheating.

We're mad at Coach Cal because Duke is playing dirty and is untouchable.

Cal's got this!!

He may have to adjust how he's doing things, and he can't come out and say whats REALLY going on, but I GUARANTEE you that he WILL find a way to overcome the obstacles that are being placed in front of him and UK in general.

lmfao, so when Cal was grabbing everyone he wanted then he was playing fair, now that K is getting them K must be cheating? That's weak and I hope Cal never publicly says that, its embarrassing.

I want them to replace Barnhart. I'll ride with cal till he leaves here. He's going to have down years all coaches do but he will get us back where we need to be it just takes time

Cal has been magnificent at recruiting. He doesn’t do much coaching. We should have at least two more titles. Seeing the scroll at the bottom of the screen last night showing all uk players in the nba it becomes more evident
That same scroll showed that Duke has 1 more player in the NBA than UK, so I find that excuse difficult to understand.

When all is said and done, the pains of this season might be worth it... if for no other reason than Cal has learned that zone D can come in handy.

Reactions: jace2012
Love coach Cal! Best we could have gotten and hope he stays as long as he wants. Having said that, the times have changed and he's gotta find a new way to retain key role players to go along with these one and dones. He's gotta adapt to the times.
Hog tie them or kidnap a family member and hold for ransom till they complete their four years. That's the only way you will get these guys to stay

Reactions: CatColumbia
lmfao, so when Cal was grabbing everyone he wanted then he was playing fair, now that K is getting them K must be cheating? That's weak and I hope Cal never publicly says that, its embarrassing.
Bagley and Duval getting cleared when NOBODY believed it was possible is what I'm talking about when it comes to Duke!

The FBI probe proving that MANY players were getting paid is what I'm talking about with everyone else!!

If you don't think that the NCAA would LOVE to take down Cal and UK, then you're a fool!!

Pretty much this. We were essentially hand picking who we wanted when since Cal has been here. K is the hot coach right now, and the times changed. I don't have any doubt Cal will reclaim the top spot in the future. But right now, it is the Rat.

Coach Cal has been magnificent. However, it's obvious the general trend of the program is downward. It's on him to adapt and get us moving up again.

Trending downward?

Following is a post I made earlier:

Why do many people seem to ignore the performance of Cal's recent UK teams?

2017 We brought in 2.5 studs. We lost in the Elite Eight to the eventual national champs (on a questionable no-call) whom we had beaten earlier in the season.
Record: 32-6
SEC champs. SEC Tournament champs. #2 seed.

2016 a disappointing season only by UK standards. One of our biggest recruits turned out to be a big disappointment. The team had two players who would have been outstanding on any UK team -- but not much else.
Yet...SEC champs. SEC Tournament champs.

2015 38-1
Final Four

2014 NCAA runners-up

Other than the NCAA titles themselves -- which is a BIG deal -- who else has had this much success in recent history.

Cal's not perfect, but it's been a great run. IMHO we UK fans are embarrassing ourselves to the rest of college basketball fans.

Last edited:
Pretty much this. We were essentially hand picking who we wanted when since Cal has been here. K is the hot coach right now, and the times changed. I don't have any doubt Cal will reclaim the top spot in the future. But right now, it is the Rat.
This year would have been a MASSIVE FAIL for Duke without Bagley and Duval...

Gift wrapped from the NCAA.

I mean I guess, if you want to talk hypothetical. Who knows what their season would have been. They just beat VT by 25 without Bagley. Wherever Bagley would've went to school, imo, he would've been cleared. Duval, I'm not so sure but he is playing like garbage anyways. .

I mean I guess, if you want to talk hypothetical. Who knows what their season would have been. They just beat VT by 25 without Bagley. Wherever Bagley would've went to school, imo, he would've been cleared. Duval, I'm not so sure but he is playing like garbage anyways. .
On the season as a whole, they would have 10 losses without Bagley, and Duval has been solid for most of the year.

Look at the lack of depth they'd have as well.

As far as Bagley goes...

I heard an interview over the summer with Dana O'Neil where she was asked about Bagley reclassifying and she said "it's literally IMPOSSIBLE for him to be cleared for 2018, so there's no point in talking about it".

Shortly thereafter, he committed to Duke, and was cleared in 2 weeks.

That same scroll showed that Duke has 1 more player in the NBA than UK, so I find that excuse difficult to understand.
That's incorrect. They showed #of teams with UK/Duke players and they had one more team. They didn't show number of players because we have about 10 more total players but they are doubled and tripled up on the same teams.

Reactions: brianpoe

The NCAA would have been all over this situation if it were anyone but Duke and North Carolina. They feel they can take K's word on it . It's ALMOST like they think they work for him .

Reactions: stenchymouse
On the season as a whole, they would have 10 losses without Bagley, and Duval has been solid for most of the year.

Look at the lack of depth they'd have as well.

As far as Bagley goes...

I heard an interview over the summer with Dana O'Neil where she was asked about Bagley reclassifying and she said "it's literally IMPOSSIBLE for him to be cleared for 2018, so there's no point in talking about it".

Shortly thereafter, he committed to Duke, and was cleared in 2 weeks.
Not sure how you would know this, but okay, that is your opinion.

And we are in deeper shit as a fan base than I thought if we are taking Dana O'Neil quotes as gospel now.

Reactions: kb22stang
Trending downward?

Following is a post I made earlier:

Why do many people seem to ignore the performance of Cal's recent UK teams?

2017 We brought in 2.5 studs. We lost in the Elite Eight to the eventual national champs (on a questionable no-call) whom we had beaten earlier in the season.
Record: 32-6
SEC champs. SEC Tournament champs. #2 seed.

2016 a disappointing season only by UK standards. One of our biggest recruits turned out to be a big disappointment. The team had two players who would have been outstanding on any UK team -- but not much else.
Yet...SEC champs. SEC Tournament champs.

2015 38-1
Final Four

2014 NCAA runners-up

Other than the NCAA titles themselves -- which is a BIG deal -- who else has had this much success in recent history.

Cal's not perfect, but it's been a great run. IMHO we UK fans are embarrassing ourselves to the rest of college basketball fans.
[thumb2]

And we are in deeper shit as a fan base than I thought if we are taking Dana O'Neil quotes as gospel now.

To me what Dana O’Neil says is neither here nor there.

But not sure how anyone, other than maybe a Duke fan, would argue they don’t receive special treatment from the NCAA. (Not that you don’t agree.)

Reactions: MWes11
Anyone saying we need to get rid of Cal is literally retarded in their thinking! Good grief people! 4 final 4's, national championship, 2 elite 8's in 8 seasons!!!!! We were one shot away from a final 4 last year.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! We're having a bad season. Get over it! Season isn't even over & Cal has been amazing. Are you serious?

Seriously?

Without THE BEST player in college basketball AND their starting point guard, Duke would still be good? (Not to mention how they'd have ZERO depth)

The only reason I mentioned the O'Neil interview, is because everything else I'd seen on Bagley was through UK based media and message board posts...

Duval went to the same school as Mudiay and Terrence Ferguson and neither were cleared because ITS NOT A REAL SCHOOL!!

Crucify Cal if you want to, but at least look at the whole picture...

Barnhardt and Bell won't even get close to the grey areas when it comes to recruiting.

That's incorrect. They showed #of teams with UK/Duke players and they had one more team. They didn't show number of players because we have about 10 more total players but they are doubled and tripled up on the same teams.
EB, you have no way to understand or appreciate the pain that this causes me to say this, but you are correct.

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out how we are trending down before this year when we averaged over 30 wins a year for the past three years.
I'm guessing he's referring to this season and the potential loss of several players off a bad team. Then the potential addition of only 3 players next year. I could understand that mindset. But if we are looking at the past few years also, then I'm with you.

Crucify Cal if you want to, but at least look at the whole picture...

Barnhardt and Bell won't even get close to the grey areas when it comes to recruiting.
I'm not crucifying Cal at all. His body of work speaks for itself and this year is an anomaly, rather than the norm. Happy as hell he is here, but I also don't think he is above criticism like many on here do. People think that if you criticize Cal, that means you automatically want him out. They say, "Ok, who else would you rather have?". To which I reply, "NO ONE" But he isn't above criticism when he does something idiotic like not call a TO at the end of a game, or not have your best scorer in at the end of a game. I will also be the first to praise him when he does great. Same goes for the players.

And that second statement just isn't true. Bledsoe, Wall, Kanter, AD all had red flags, just to name a few.

Unfortunately for me, I'm guilty of buying into the preseason hype, both in football and basketball. My expectations are through the roof and then the season happens and things come crashing down. I need to stop listening to the sunshine pumpers and start choosing more credible sources to which to listen. At the very least, it will temper my disappointment.

I'm guessing he's referring to this season and the potential loss of several players off a bad team. Then the potential addition of only 3 players next year. I could understand that mindset. But if we are looking at the past few years also, then I'm with you.
I’m of the opinion we don’t lose many at all off this team which would make next year a very competitive team.

I'm not crucifying Cal at all. His body of work speaks for itself and this year is an anomaly, rather than the norm. Happy as hell he is here, but I also don't think he is above criticism like many on here do. People think that if you criticize Cal, that means you automatically want him out. They say, "Ok, who else would you rather have?". To which I reply, "NO ONE" But he isn't above criticism when he does something idiotic like not call a TO at the end of a game, or not have your best scorer in at the end of a game. I will also be the first to praise him when he does great. Same goes for the players.

And that second statement just isn't true. Bledsoe, Wall, Kanter, AD all had red flags, just to name a few.

Bledsoe? Sure.
Kanter? OK
Wall? That was sour grapes by fans of other programs
Davis? A retracted smear column in Chicago's second most read newspaper doesn't count.

I’m of the opinion we don’t lose many at all off this team which would make next year a very competitive team.
I don't think we SHOULD lose anyone sans Knox off this team. But it's hard to be optimistic about it knowing how many usually leave. The only one I couldn't care less if we lost is Diallo. If his game matched his attitude, he would be incredible.

Bledsoe? Sure.
Kanter? OK
Wall? That was sour grapes by fans of other programs
Davis? A retracted smear column in Chicago's second most read newspaper doesn't count.
The point is, they all had some sort of red flag, true or untrue. Wall sat out 5 or 9 games (if I remember correctly).

If this year continues in the direction it's going, it will be an early NCAA exit for NIT bid. That makes next year even more important for the program. Regardless of his overall record, losing in the 2nd round, Elite Eight, NIT the last 3 years is hard for UK fans. A 4th year in a row without post season success would be tough. I have faith in Cal and believe he can get things back to the first half of his tenure here....just hope it starts next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT