ADVERTISEMENT

Latest ESPN NBA mock draft

Wow didn’t realize Ugo was shooting up that high. You know Cal put a lighter to his schollie seeing that, but it could open the possibility for Ivisic returning. Klutch may have to accept Bradshaw isn’t a draft prospect right now, but they won’t let him return to Kentucky.

Wow didn’t realize Ugo was shooting up that high. You know Cal put a lighter to his schollie seeing that, but it could open the possibility for Ivisic returning. Klutch may have to accept Bradshaw isn’t a draft prospect right now, but they won’t let him return to Kentucky.
I am sick of Klutch pissing on this program. Hopefully Bradshaw makes his own decision.

Also, the impression I got from the stuff printed last off-season was that Ugonna was being dictated to by handlers (e.g., maybe they supported him or his family financially). So, I would be concerned that they would push him to the NBA if he's going to be a pick maybe in either round. However, it did seem like he bucked the handlers when he decided to come back to UK this season.

Reactions: NociHTTP
This is why I don’t watch the nba any longer, or at least one of the reasons. Why JE would be drafted into a professional basketball league at this stage is just mind boggling. Spare me the potential crap!!! You should have to show potential and earn a professional contract as opposed to just being given one. I hope he improves and gets there but this is just nonsensical to me.

I am sick of Klutch pissing on this program. Hopefully Bradshaw makes his own decision.
Remember when Klutch forced Bradshaw to go to USC?

Remember when Bradshaw was injured and wasn't going to play a game this year because Klutch wouldn't allow it?

Seems like Bradshaw is a good kid and he makes his own decisions routinely despite what some on this board think.

Remember when Klutch forced Bradshaw to go to USC?

Remember when Bradshaw was injured and wasn't going to play a game this year because Klutch wouldn't allow it?

Seems like Bradshaw is a good kid and he makes his own decisions routinely despite what some on this board think.
Yeah, it has been a good sign with those examples, and he has also continued to play through despite not looking great in a lot of moments. He could easily shut it down, but hasn't. I hope he decides for another year. Maybe someone should get Nick Richards in his ear about staying to improve. His strength is the biggest thing he needs to work on.

Reactions: bIhawk and thedahc
Also, the impression I got from the stuff printed last off-season was that Ugonna was being dictated to by handlers (e.g., maybe they supported him or his family financially). So, I would be concerned that they would push him to the NBA if he's going to be a pick maybe in either round. However, it did seem like he bucked the handlers when he decided to come back to UK this season.
I'd like to see Ugo finish this season strong then come back and play his way into a lottery pick next year. He has a ways to go still, but you can see him get better and better with more PT. He could be the key to whether or not we have a deep tourney run.

Somebody picking him 50th in a mock does not mean he will get drafted. He won't; the ship has sailed but the mocks are always behind.
While you’re correct that mocks are behind, this is an updated mock that’s catching up to Ugo’s production from the last few weeks. While 38 seems a bit high to me, Ugo being a projected 2nd rounder shouldn’t be surprising. ESPN isn’t just throwing shit at the wall, they are hearing from scouts who are blown away by Ugo’s blocked shot rate. He’s also shown touch around the rim and willing physicality, and the ability to play big minutes as a rim protector without fouling like crazy. He’s showing himself to be a good teammate who waited his turn. I think the expectation is that his numbers will continue to elevate as his minutes remain high, and his averages will start to reflect that early 2nd round projection.

Yeah, it has been a good sign with those examples, and he has also continued to play through despite not looking great in a lot of moments. He could easily shut it down, but hasn't. I hope he decides for another year. Maybe someone should get Nick Richards in his ear about staying to improve. His strength is the biggest thing he needs to work on.
Besides the strength, the foot injury really set him back. It wasted this year

I'd like to see Ugo finish this season strong then come back and play his way into a lottery pick next year. He has a ways to go still, but you can see him get better and better with more PT. He could be the key to whether or not we have a deep tourney run.
Ugo, with his skill set, or lack thereof, is NEVER going to be a lottery pick. Maybe 10 years ago, but not in today's NBA. I'd be less shocked to see him not get drafted than to ever work himself into a lottery pick. Where does he struggle the most? Anywhere offensively and moving in P&R defense. Those two things are NBA staples, even for a 7 footer.

While you’re correct that mocks are behind, this is an updated mock that’s catching up to Ugo’s production from the last few weeks. While 38 seems a bit high to me, Ugo being a projected 2nd rounder shouldn’t be surprising. ESPN isn’t just throwing shit at the wall, they are hearing from scouts who are blown away by Ugo’s blocked shot rate. He’s also shown touch around the rim and willing physicality, and the ability to play big minutes as a rim protector without fouling like crazy. He’s showing himself to be a good teammate who waited his turn. I think the expectation is that his numbers will continue to elevate as his minutes remain high, and his averages will start to reflect that early 2nd round projection.
Could you really get a better prospect than Ugo at #38?
I doubt it.

The kid didn’t get much time last year and the injury set him back this year but he’s coming on strong. He’s got time to move up, I think he’s gone.

Reed will make 4 million in his first year if he is picked number 12. Matt Jones said at most Reed could make 2 mil in NIL and that's highly unlikely.
He would have to get a national deal like Caleb Williams to get in the 2 mil range
I would say that the La Familia money that Cal controls goes to new recruits.

I agree about Ugo; just not about Edwards. I've been saying for a couple months that neither Edwards nor Bradshaw will get drafted, even in the 2nd round. Three months ago Edwards was a top 10 pick. Six weeks ago he was projected a late 1st rounder. Now he's projected as a late 2nd round pick. Bradshaw was considered a 1st round pick until recently and now not even a 2nd round pick. I'm not a mathematician but I think I see trends there.

This is Ugo's first time projected as a draft pick and if he continues to play like he has recently he will continute to rise some though I don't think a 1st round pick is possible for him. Now if he came back and put on 20 pounds of good muscle and improved his offensive game incrementally he could slip into the 1st round. The NBA will always like shot blockers.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
When’s the last time the #3 pick came off the bench? Asking for a friend 🙄
Even though I think he'll go more like 6th I think the answer you are looking for is whenever the last time a pick that high had a coach dumb enough to not start him. Might be a first...

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
They all have to go. Cal pushes them out for his ego. We are only a G league if you haven’t figured that out. Look at the last 14 years
I don't believe he pushes out the late 1st and 2nd round picks. I think it's the following year's recruits who do that.

Ugo is on draft boards b/c of his ridiculous blocked shot stats .... but he is sooooo slow with bad hands and a non-existent jumper (he lucked into the one last game in the lane, let's be honest) he will not work in today's NBA, at least not yet.

He'll declare, guaranteed, and we'll wait

The "greatest night in UK basketball history". :rolleyes:

3. Rob Dillingham
12. Reed Sheppard
27. DJ Wagner

2nd Round
38: Ugonna Onyenso
51. Justin Edwards
I wouldnt have said this last year but now there is no question Antonio Reeves is going to play in the league somewhere and make somebody a real get. The guy has turned himself into a scorer at many levels and guys like that make it and stick. Dont have to be the super athletic type if you can score and he has the game to do that, quick release and makes shots from all ranges now. It would be a crime if he' s not drafted in the first 40 picks.

Somebody picking him 50th in a mock does not mean he will get drafted. He won't; the ship has sailed but the mocks are always behind.
That is why any player should put probably a +/- 5 picks on their slot in the lottery, +/-10 pick in 2nd half of first round, +/- 15 picks in first half of 2nd round, and +/- 20 picks as you get to the last half of 2nd round.

Meaning, players can be, say 80-90% confident in:
1-8 Rob Dillingham
4-20 Reed Sheppard
15-39 DJ Wagner
23-53 Ugonna Onyenso
32-undrafted (with about 45% chance of undrafted) Justin Edwards

Reactions: ukfan1622
As others have said, Marvin Williams started 0 games for UNC in the 2004-2005 season, was drafted #2 overall.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
lol, Bradshaw isn't even listed on most of these and I promise he will end up leaving, too. Its crazy what Cal has created here

lol, Bradshaw isn't even listed on most of these and I promise he will end up leaving, too. Its crazy what Cal has created here
Bradshaw leaving isn't something Calipari has created.

What Calipari has created is a system of recruiting the best players, coaching them while they are here, and giving them information on their draft prospects should they want to enter the draft. Nothing more...nothing less.

Maybe a person could argue that Calipari should recruit outside of the 5* prospects and coach those kids for more than 1 year? But, realistically if a player is projected in the draft, they are leaving. The $$$$ incentive is too great. I don't think what they make in NIL while here is enough to sway that decision.

Bradshaw leaving isn't something Calipari has created.

What Calipari has created is a system of recruiting the best players, coaching them while they are here, and giving them information on their draft prospects should they want to enter the draft. Nothing more...nothing less.

Maybe a person could argue that Calipari should recruit outside of the 5* prospects and coach those kids for more than 1 year? But, realistically if a player is projected in the draft, they are leaving. The $$$$ incentive is too great. I don't think what they make in NIL while here is enough to sway that decision.
He absolutely has created a culture where you're expected to leave after one year. You think Bradshaw is considering the draft anywhere else if he's having this same season? Cal's record for players staying for one year, whether it be leaving for the draft or transferring, is astronomically high.

Reactions: qwesley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT