ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Never Holds the Ball at the End of Blowouts

lakercat

Senior
Jul 17, 2003
Alabama shot two threes in the final six seconds to get to 100 points. I know Bama will flameout in the tournament against a team with a pulse, but I like how they don’t hold the ball at the end of games. They play to get up as many shots as possible, regardless of the score. This is the eighth time that Bama has scored triple digits. Scores are up this year across the board, but Oats knows offense and can beat mediocre to bad teams the way you’re supposed to. Of course, they were blown out against Tennessee and Auburn.

Alabama shot two threes in the final six seconds to get to 100 points. I know Bama will flameout in the tournament against a team with a pulse, but I like how they don’t hold the ball at the end of games. They play to get up as many shots as possible, regardless of the score. This is the eighth time that Bama has scored triple digits. Scores are up this year across the board, but Oats knows offense and can beat mediocre to bad teams the way you’re supposed to. Of course, they were blown out against Tennessee and Auburn.
And that is one of the many reasons Oats is a trash human being.

They split with Auburn.

Oats is at the point in his career where he's ripe to be taken from an elite program with resources. He's hungry, he's ruthless, and he plays a style that can land recruits. Also love his talent evaluation and ability to think outside the box regarding staff hires. He lost almost his entire coaching staff and has replaced them with guys who fit his approach on the court.

Alabama's history in NCAA's is awful period. This is the only Power 5 job he's had and has proven he can win the SEC when everyone gets their knee pads out to talk about how "brutal" the conference is. He just slapped the piss out of Buzz Williams court wandering ass which is always fun to see. I expect Buzz to try and get to Columbus--but will the fans want that nonsense at Ohio State after suffering through the overrated goober that was Holtmann?

I'd love to see Oats in Lexington and think recruiting would improve, and the marriage is perfect. Know that Bama fans are hoping Kentucky figures it out because they fear this job is one he'd covet.

They split with Auburn.

Oats is at the point in his career where he's ripe to be taken from an elite program with resources. He's hungry, he's ruthless, and he plays a style that can land recruits. Also love his talent evaluation and ability to think outside the box regarding staff hires. He lost almost his entire coaching staff and has replaced them with guys who fit his approach on the court.

Alabama's history in NCAA's is awful period. This is the only Power 5 job he's had and has proven he can win the SEC when everyone gets their knee pads out to talk about how "brutal" the conference is. He just slapped the piss out of Buzz Williams court wandering ass which is always fun to see. I expect Buzz to try and get to Columbus--but will the fans want that nonsense at Ohio State after suffering through the overrated goober that was Holtmann?

I'd love to see Oats in Lexington and think recruiting would improve, and the marriage is perfect. Know that Bama fans are hoping Kentucky figures it out because they fear this job is one he'd covet.

If UL fires Payne I'd call Oats first.

He would beat the dog crap out of Calipari. Even more than he has at times at bama.

And that is one of the many reasons Oats is a trash human being.
For the record, I'm a "you coach your team" coach/fan. Don't care what opponents do because my team I coach or the team I support had ample time to impact/change that outcome.

Most coaches have no problem with that as long as reserve players are in. They practice all ****ing year and deserve to play when they get in a game. It beats sending in walk ons and deep reserves with 48 secs left like Cal does-which serves absolutely zero purpose. It's stupid to hold the ball late and let the shot clock go out. Let it fly backups/walk ons! LOL

No issues with letting the walk-ons have some fun unless he still had starters in.
I don’t either. It seems like every other team holds the ball. That said, I don’t see this Bama team going further than the Sweet 16. Maybe if the tournament was in Tuscaloosa. Their only good wins are a four-point win at home against Auburn and a home win against South Carolina who lost by 40 this week. A&M is great at home (Tennessee) and awful on the road (Vandy).

Until the final minute, I agree with that. But once the shot clock is OFF, then it's simply poor sportsmanship (unless it is your walk-on's trying to score).

I don’t either. It seems like every other team holds the ball. That said, I don’t see this Bama team going further than the Sweet 16. Maybe if the tournament was in Tuscaloosa. Their only good wins are a four-point win at home against Auburn and a home win against South Carolina who lost by 40 this week. A&M is great at home (Tennessee) and awful on the road (Vandy).
Very well could be the case but it also wouldn't shock me if he went to an Elite 8 with a team seen as his "worst" and less talented due to the fact they've played a very aggressive/tough non conference schedule which Oats has done in his history too.

Until the final minute, I agree with that. But once the shot clock is OFF, then it's simply poor sportsmanship (unless it is your walk-on's trying to score).
disagree, the game is 40 minutes. Try hard and it will make everyone better in the long run. If you want to play to get the win that's fine, but the end of the season is what matters so getting better when the game is already decided is fine by me.

Pitino had his way with us when he was at UL. Oh wait, nevermind.
Meanwhile back in 2024...Cal has lost 2 of his last 3 to this...

jerrystackhouse.jpg

Not the same calipari as we had then.
And not the same Pitino. Everybody thinks he’s the same dude that was here. He’s not. Pitino is still a solid coach but he’s still gotta recruit. He’s gonna have some fun up at St John’s might luck out a make an E8 or something and then hang it up.

Reactions: CatPhight
No issues with letting the walk-ons have some fun unless he still had starters in.
He had the walk-ons in. Technically it was a scholarship player taking most of the shots, but it was a freshman who’s only logged mop up minutes this year. I think being exactly at 97 points might have factored into the decision not to sit on the ball with the shot clock turned off too. You could tell the backups were making an effort to hit 100.

Reactions: TM2013
They split with Auburn.

I agree, but we have a huge issue. Our ad would never hire Oates, and honestly I don’t trust Mitch to make the right decision in the hiring process anymore

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
They split with Auburn.

Oats currently makes 5.5 million per year and has a 3 million buyout. With what we would have to pay Cal he is not a option. Bama would probably match anything up to 7.5 million as well. I would rather pay Hurley anyway not a non ethical turd like Oats.

Oats couldn’t tote cals water I would never look for him as your replacement for ccc.
haha. Bama fan. You sold your soul last year for that POS with the shooting incident. Karma got you in Sweet 16, though. Weren't you the # 1 overall seed? Sweet 16.....

Oats is a dirtbag so don't worry, we have standards unlike you and Auburn. 8 or 10 UK fans don't have any ethical standards, either. Don't worry about them. They aren't moving any needle on who coaches here.

They split with Auburn.

He’s not as good a coach as what we have now.

They’re gaming the metrics. Oats figured out by running up the score against mediocre/bad competition you can inflate your NET rating and several of the other key ranking systems the committee relies on.

All in all they’re a very mediocre team, especially outside of their own building. They lost by double digits to the worst team in the Big Ten on a neutral floor.

He had the walk-ons in. Technically it was a scholarship player taking most of the shots, but it was a freshman who’s only logged mop up minutes this year. I think being exactly at 97 points might have factored into the decision not to sit on the ball with the shot clock turned off too. You could tell the backups were making an effort to hit 100.
They’ve done it in multiple games. They shot four threes in the last minute. Everyone is all about Oats because he plays an uptempo style that works in the regular season, and they beat Arizona one time. Nah, I think he’s good, but time will tell if he’s just the James Harden of CBB. That is, win a bunch of games in the RS, score a million points, but flame out in the tournament.

They’re gaming the metrics. Oats figured out by running up the score against mediocre/bad competition you can inflate your NET rating and several of the other key ranking systems the committee relies on.

All in all they’re a very mediocre team, especially outside of their own building. They lost by double digits to the worst team in the Big Ten on a neutral floor.
They have ONE win OOC that is not a guarantee game. They beat a bad Oregon team. But they have no bad losses outside of Ohio State. They might put up 120 on us, though (just a joke but YGMP)

This is the only Power 5 job he's had and has proven he can win the SEC when everyone gets their knee pads out to talk about how "brutal" the conference is
Oats is getting ready to win the SEC for the 3rd time in 4 seasons at a football school.
He would absolutely kill it here.
You honestly have to severely underachieve to set the terrible records Cal has lately.

At this point Cal is the worst possible fit at UK. He’s BCG bad since 2020.

Oats is getting ready to win the SEC for the 3rd time in 4 seasons at a football school.
He would absolutely kill it here.
You honestly have to severely underachieve to set the terrible records Cal has lately.

At this point Cal is the worst possible fit at UK. He’s BCG bad since 2020.
Billy D did it at Florida; Pearl is doing it Auburn; Barnes is doing at Tennessee; Thad Matta did it at Ohio State. It’s much easier for a “football school” to win in basketball, than it is for a “basketball school” to win in football. Maybe Oats can beat a team that’s seeded higher than eighth in the tournament at Alabama.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Oats currently makes 5.5 million per year and has a 3 million buyout. With what we would have to pay Cal he is not a option. Bama would probably match anything up to 7.5 million as well. I would rather pay Hurley anyway not a non ethical turd like Oats.
Name a coach in college athletics and "non ethical turd" can be applied for 99.9% of them in some manner or the other. Just a matter of how they got about being unethical.

That buyout of Oats is chump change for a program like Kentucky. Calipari is the issue and who gave him his "I need a hug" extension? Barnhart. He should be fired. He's not doing anything worth keeping around either.

He’s not as good a coach as what we have now.
He's not as good of a coach as what Calipari WAS--as far as what you have now, Cal doesn't belong in the same discussion. Or do we now move goalposts and pretend that Conference Championships DONT MATTER. Just let me know the criteria and we can hold a discussion.

Kentucky is a Blueblood Basketball school. Alabama is a blueblood Football school. Some of us just think someone like Oats would be worthy of seeing what he'd do with the resources/tradition that a school like Kentucky offers. I've seen what Cal can do when he gave a ****. I'm sick of watching what he's doing now and become. A soft old man who wants everyone to like him (national media and philanthropically) and dabble in any/everything outside of what got him acclaim and this job to begin with--winning basketball games/championships and contending nationally.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT