ADVERTISEMENT

Larry glover matthew mitchell

Lol what an incredibly boring and lazy hire as expected from lazy Barnhart. Mitchell was not very good his last several years before quitting and no reason to believe he's now suddenly gonna be able to get us over the hump. Take a chance on a young, motivated coach.
What's your definition of 'not very 'good'? He was 46- 15 his last two years. The year before that was bad, but the two previous years before the bad year were both good. So, 4 out of his 5 years were pretty damn good.

Some USA sports writer reporting that Matthew Mitchell to be rehired as the women's coach
Why not Mitch? Just rehire the guy and give him a life-time deal. It's just so much easier than doing the job that every other AD in the country normally does in a situation like this. Don't want to do one of those pesky coaching searches. Who could blame him considering his coaching hire record across the board?

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
Sounds about right, whatever is the easiest for Barney.

Exactly my thoughts. The guy doesn’t want to work at all, this is your typical ho hum nonsense from the bean counter. I’m as sick of him as I am anything going at UK.

The guy makes vanilla look spicy. We never make splashes except in 2009, and he didn’t want to hire Calipari. Barnhart is the only SEC AD who’s okay with mediocrity. It’s gonna eventually take a bigger bite out of us than we imagine if he doesn’t move on soon.

lol @ Matt jones. Belittled a caller today for several minutes for even suggesting Mitchell as a candidate. Cut him off, talked over him like he loves to do and didn’t even give the guy a chance all because he thought his suggestions were ridiculous and, get this, because he was POSITIVE Mitchell would never coach again simply because his buddy sitting next to him (Ryan Lemond) is good buddies w/ Matt and knows that he’ll never coach again. What a clown this guy is.

I really don't keep up with women's basketball but just like with Cheerleading (ok, so I couldn't tell you if UK cheerleading is still good or not) its better for the school overall to be competitive in sports that do get national attention.

For Kentucky, I'd think having a good women's basketball program is low hanging fruit - you have a built in fanbase and a mens program that provides exposure, facilities and access.

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
I always liked MM. Great dude. Solid coach got the program to respectability. Kind of a cult like hero figure amongst the die hard wbb fans. They loved him and his old school southern charm.

Will be interesting to see who lines up. I'd go all in if I were MB. Swing for the fences. Mulkey comes to mind. That lady is a hoot, and great coach. After that I'd look at Texas coach who took Miss St to a couple final fours.

If the home run isn't there, MM would be a good hire. He can do the job. Comeback story is always nice. Not sure of his interest in current college NIL/portal happy landscape though.
The dancing 😂

lol @ Matt jones. Belittled a caller today for several minutes for even suggesting Mitchell as a candidate. Cut him off, talked over him like he loves to do and didn’t even give the guy a chance all because he thought his suggestions were ridiculous and, get this, because he was POSITIVE Mitchell would never coach again simply because his buddy sitting next to him (Ryan Lemond) is good buddies w/ Matt and knows that he’ll never coach again. What a clown this guy is.
Nice spin job as usual...He let the guy finish but that caller was making ridiculous suggestions...He even asked the caller during the interaction a couple questions which the caller refused to answer...First the caller said we would be a laughing stock (we wouldn't) if we hired Juli Fulks because she was a D3 coach...Matt brought up multiple examples of coaches who were successful making that jump from D3 to D1...then the caller said well she may not be successful and Matt pointed out that was a completely different point and that no hire was guaranteed to be successful...The caller than said to offer Dawn Staley 3 million a year...Matt stated that Staley wasn't going to leave USC for here even if we did and that USC would match and who was the next choice...Caller said call Jeff Walz at UL...Matt pointed out that would never happen (and later even mentioned that Barnhart hates Walz)...Then the caller said Matthew Mitchell who is on record as saying he doesn't want to coach again and turned down an offer from UGA either last year or the year before...Matt then pointed out that Ryan and Mitchell were good friends so Ryan had some insight and Ryan stated that based on his perception that Mitchell is done with coaching and was in the broadcast booth last weekend so he thinks that is the next step for Matthew.

That caller was a clown and your attempt at spin and half truths is even worse.

Reactions: TM2013
What's your definition of 'not very 'good'? He was 46- 15 his last two years. The year before that was bad, but the two previous years before the bad year were both good. So, 4 out of his 5 years were pretty damn good.
And both seasons ended with early blowout tournament losses as usual. Mitchell might make us a tournament team again but why not take a chance on being really good. It's women's basketball....shoot for the moon, there's no glory in being 40th.

... have no respect for Jones, never have.

Last edited:
Nice spin job as usual...He let the guy finish but that caller was making ridiculous suggestions...He even asked the caller during the interaction a couple questions which the caller refused to answer...First the caller said we would be a laughing stock (we wouldn't) if we hired Juli Fulks because she was a D3 coach...Matt brought up multiple examples of coaches who were successful making that jump from D3 to D1...then the caller said well she may not be successful and Matt pointed out that was a completely different point and that no hire was guaranteed to be successful...The caller than said to offer Dawn Staley 3 million a year...Matt stated that Staley wasn't going to leave USC for here even if we did and that USC would match and who was the next choice...Caller said call Jeff Walz at UL...Matt pointed out that would never happen (and later even mentioned that Barnhart hates Walz)...Then the caller said Matthew Mitchell who is on record as saying he doesn't want to coach again and turned down an offer from UGA either last year or the year before...Matt then pointed out that Ryan and Mitchell were good friends so Ryan had some insight and Ryan stated that based on his perception that Mitchell is done with coaching and was in the broadcast booth last weekend so he thinks that is the next step for Matthew.

That caller was a clown and your attempt at spin and half truths is even worse.
Jesus Christ, you are either a. Matt jones burner, b. Someone else on show, or c. Just a huge fanboy who thinks they are always right.

Anyone who heard that call and isn’t invested in the show or terribly biased can sense the “I’m better than you and know more than you” oozing out of Matt that entire call. My only point was that it would be hilarious if Mitchell was hired after Matt clearly gave it 0% chance and didn’t even let the caller explain any of his choices (Matt every time, “ok they ain’t coming NEXT!!!!” after the dude says one sentence). So arrogant and a joke of a representative for this program IMO

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Exactly my thoughts. The guy doesn’t want to work at all, this is your typical ho hum nonsense from the bean counter. I’m as sick of him as I am anything going at UK.

The guy makes vanilla look spicy. We never make splashes except in 2009, and he didn’t want to hire Calipari. Barnhart is the only SEC AD who’s okay with mediocrity. It’s gonna eventually take a bigger bite out of us than we imagine if he doesn’t move on soon.

Ya'll want him to hire the Cal of every sport?! hahahah...ya'll can't handle the one Cal we do have, also wouldn't want to pay the price tag that would require.

MB is one of the best ADs out there. Well, respected by folks in the industry. Most importantly he runs a money-making machine.

All the nice, new athletic stuff on campus MB has managed. Most if not all of the sports have improved or stabilized. Football chief among them. Nobody else made any good hires or decisions since Bear Bryant. Under MB we at the very least have a program that can half assed compete and get to bowls.

Volleyball, softball, WBB, baseball, track and field, swimming, soccer...all in good shape overall.

Nobody is perfect, there's been things and times to criticize. I've done my fair share. However, overall, UK athletics is really in a good position. People from all over come look at our facilities, snatch assistant ADs from the MB tree, look at and speak well of how the entire operation is run.

Reactions: delk4three
I do not het the Matthew Mitchell. It is not like UK team is a national power or have EVER won anything. Mitchell had them very competitive, beat UT a few times, made the tournament annually. How many times have they had success before and after Mitchell ? that tells you all you need to know. Mulkey ? LOL, not a chance in hell she would leave a dominate program for UK, not happening. Some people act like you can just pick a coach from any old tree and hire them. Same as mens, you have to have a solid foundation, and UK doesn't have that, except for a bit under Mitchell.

Reactions: westerncat
I do not het the Matthew Mitchell. It is not like UK team is a national power or have EVER won anything. Mitchell had them very competitive, beat UT a few times, made the tournament annually. How many times have they had success before and after Mitchell ? that tells you all you need to know. Mulkey ? LOL, not a chance in hell she would leave a dominate program for UK, not happening. Some people act like you can just pick a coach from any old tree and hire them. Same as mens, you have to have a solid foundation, and UK doesn't have that, except for a bit under Mitchell.

It doesn’t need to be Mitchell. He was good
For UK, he represented the program well and had success here, but you don’t need to go backwards especially given that his last 3/4 years were headed backwards. It’s a ho hum hire which is what Mitch does (lazy) but it’s not the best we can do. We should always go for the top then work our way, not start from less.

There are some really interesting candidates out there that would be much better for the program than Mitchell. Kentucky has to begin making some splashes like everyone else or the SEC is gonna eat us alive soon.

Maybe, maybe not. I think UK is just looking for some level of success, being competitive, making the tournament, etc. Mitchell is not the big splash hire, but IF there is no homerun candidate, he is a very safe and winning hire, he proved it. And no, he didn't do bad 3/4 years. He had ONE bad year of his last 4. Even with that year, the other three is a LOT better than what the program has been doing since he left, and before he got there. Kind of the "be careful what you wish for". In Mitchell, he should be considered for the job, at worst as a "break glass in case of a fire", solid hire if nobody better is interested or hirable.

Last edited:
Reactions: delk4three
Jesus Christ, you are either a. Matt jones burner, b. Someone else on show, or c. Just a huge fanboy who thinks they are always right.

Anyone who heard that call and isn’t invested in the show or terribly biased can sense the “I’m better than you and know more than you” oozing out of Matt that entire call. My only point was that it would be hilarious if Mitchell was hired after Matt clearly gave it 0% chance and didn’t even let the caller explain any of his choices (Matt every time, “ok they ain’t coming NEXT!!!!” after the dude says one sentence). So arrogant and a joke of a representative for this program IMO
You are wrong on all 3 guesses. I just dont think telling half truths is correct. If you don’t want to like Matt, so be it but at least be honest in your posts about what he says or does. Matt isn’t associated with the program. He is a media member with no affiliation to the program so therefore isn’t a representative of the program.

Your only point wasn’t about Mitchell being hired. Your point was to take shots at Matt which has been your MO for a long time. If your point was what you said, you would’ve simply posted that it would be funny if Mitchell was hired after Matt said it wouldn’t happen. None of the other stuff in your post would have been mentioned like calling him a clown.

You are wrong on all 3 guesses. I just dont think telling half truths is correct. If you don’t want to like Matt, so be it but at least be honest in your posts about what he says or does. Matt isn’t associated with the program. He is a media member with no affiliation to the program so therefore isn’t a representative of the program.

Your only point wasn’t about Mitchell being hired. Your point was to take shots at Matt which has been your MO for a long time. If your point was what you said, you would’ve simply posted that it would be funny if Mitchell was hired after Matt said it wouldn’t happen. None of the other stuff in your post would have been mentioned like calling him a clown.
No lies were told. Matt was an ass to that caller (who was right all along) per usual. Not even sure what you are defending lol

No lies were told. Matt was an ass to that caller (who was right all along) per usual. Not even sure what you are defending lol
You told only part of the story to make him look worse and thanks for acknowledging that your purpose wasnt just that it would be hilarious if Mitchell was hired.

Last edited:
If they were playing at the level of South Carolina, UConn, etc. That gym would be sold out. People would watch. There are quite a few fans out there who care.
I agree. And Memorial is going to be beautiful when it's done. Going to have some real nice clubs, great student seating. It can be like gymnastics, who gets great crowds. Gymnastics just had over 10,000 at their meet in Rupp. 8,500 seats can be sold out and they had great crowds before.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
If they were playing at the level of South Carolina, UConn, etc. That gym would be sold out. People would watch. There are quite a few fans out there who care.
Idt those teams even sell out and “quite a few” theres not even 10% of fans on here who care

Idt those teams even sell out and “quite a few” theres not even 10% of fans on here who care
South Carolina Women's Team averaged 16,488 per game this season, the Men's team averaged 13,397. And the Women's team has sold out a number of their games. So yeah, "quite a few" fans care.

If the product is good, fans on here will start caring more too. obviously some on here care considering the numbers of posts about how much we sucked and needed to fire Elzy that popped up on here. If you don't care, why are you posting in the thread? Why not just ignore it? Why come in here trying to persuade other fans not to care?

Seems oddly personal.
Confused Charlie Day GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

South Carolina Women's Team averaged 16,488 per game this season, the Men's team averaged 13,397. And the Women's team has sold out a number of their games. So yeah, "quite a few" fans care.

If the product is good, fans on here will start caring more too. obviously some on here care considering the numbers of posts about how much we sucked and needed to fire Elzy that popped up on here. If you don't care, why are you posting in the thread? Why not just ignore it? Why come in here trying to persuade other fans not to care?
Whos trying to persuade? The only womens player worth watching is CC imo shes a baller. Sorry im just not into push shots and layups. If you are you should start by supporting the team now and buy season tickets the more support the better chance the product improves.

Whos trying to persuade? The only womens player worth watching is CC imo shes a baller. Sorry im just not into push shots and layups. If you are you should start by supporting the team now and buy season tickets the more support the better chance the product improves.
Most on this board are probably not the target audience. Just as with the women's gymnastics team, who drew over 10,000 in their first meet this year at Rupp, families, girls and a lot of time, older women are the fan base. When the women's team was good, they had really good crowds at Memorial. They have even sold out Rupp before for big games.

I have season football tickets. I don’t have men’s basketball tickets or any other sports tickets. But I can still support and cheer them on when they’re playing. Of course it’s a different game and no there aren’t high flying dunks, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t competitive. And you being in here complaining about the sport and telling everyone you could care less about it and getting defensive when somebody calls you out on it just seems a bit like your trying to create a disparaging attitude towards them. How about if you don’t care, you just act like it and let us fans who do care discuss the future of the program without the negativity.

Reactions: NothinButNylon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT