ADVERTISEMENT

KSR won’t last long if Matt ever quits…

This last few weeks has been tough sledding on the radio between 10-12. Those other guys are talented in their own right but they really struggle to weave their way through a 2 hour show. Matt is really good at managing the pace of the show.
They aren't willing to say the outrageous things Matt says. He is unintentionally funny

I think the reason they are so popular is because the transitioned into a show that talks maybe 50% UK sports, 25% other sports and 25% everything else. That 25% everything else has grabbed a lot of listeners. They are more successful now and have better ratings now than they ever had and I think that's the main reason. They expanded their audience outside of die hard UK/sports fans and I don't see that going away. It's actually what I enjoy most.
Right! Who wants to miss the Sweet Sixteen of restaurants? Today it's Subway vs Burger King, who do you have Ryan?

Right! Who wants to miss the Sweet Sixteen of restaurants? Today it's Subway vs Burger King, who do you have Ryan?
It’s been a recipe for success though, so for every diehard UK sports fan who doesn’t like the sports stuff like a good bracket, there are many more casual sports fans who do like it.

He’s figured out a way to transition into the most popular mid morning sports talk show in the country outside of the major cities.

Reactions: JC CATS
Jones is good and good point about him not having to move to make it big in radio.

Clay Travis is rightfully hated on for his UT Fandom and UK shots at times but he also dominates radio. He can talk sports, culture, politics, etc and he is very successful. Remember in 2011 when he was making 45k and quit 104.5 the zone in Nashville. He's a way bigger success than MJ but thought of him as well for this discussion.
Agreed on Travis. Funny thing is, I noticed Travis because he and Matt apparently had some beef years back and every time one of posts popped up, he was in a debate with Matt and killing him. It was brutal.

I don't think he acknowledges Matt anymore. Probably doesn't believe in punching down.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to listen to two hours of radio starring a few posters around here. It would be absolutely brutal. A dull host nervously discussing sports numbers, football positions, what each basketball player may avg., baseball stats...just brutal. There's a UofL show that does nothing but horse racing the week of the Derby and it's abismal. Felt like I was listening to something from 1961. That same show wasn't getting much traction one morning years ago until one caller randomly brought up local pro wrestling. The rest of the hour was filled with calls and texts about local wrestling from the 70s and 80s. That may sound miserable to some and had nothing to do with UofL or UK, but it drew an audience.

For KSR, it doesn't help that Ryan pretends to be scared of hosting, Drew has admitted he's a good co-host but never wants the main chair, and Shannon is fine but isn't a UK fan through and through. There's a nice rhythm when Matt is there and like it or not, there's no one else locally, and not many nationally, who can bring in the hardcore fans, the casuals, kids who'll listen, old ladies, grandpas, folks who are fans of other teams, and wives who aren't sports fans. In one show, he'll get calls from a kid in class, a UK fanatic working in a warehouse, a 92 year old grandma, and some random person from another state who doesn't follow UK closely but enjoys the show. That's not usually normal for sports radio but it is for KSR.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
I mostly love listening. Matt definitely drives the show and its not the same without him but I still listen when he's absent. I only change the channel when they start doing their top 10 lists of players, etc.

I hope you weren’t tied in to that horrible Chris Cross show . That guy was an idiot.

Ha, I was a remote producer. He was awful and not a nice guy to me. I have wondered what happened to him though. I did Horse Tails with Ercel Ellis. He wasn't nice either. Pete Kules was nice but demanding. Larry Glover was as well. Deener was a good dude. Mike Cameron was super cool; he was co-host with Chris after Deener.

Only good part of that job were free meals at remotes and the killer hoagies at LA Gourmet Pizza. That is a lie, going to press conferences and pre-game football was fun as well....but remote producing was awful and thankless. I did Sunday show with a friend of mine back then too and did really enjoy that. He said need up moving to Dallas and was in radio for a while iirc. I haven't talked to him in 15 years probably.

I lived next door to him at one point. He was a jerk and his dogs yapped all the GD time. He was a horrible neighbor.

Reactions: yoshukai
Agreed on Travis. Funny thing is, I noticed Travis because he and Matt apparently had some beef years back and every time one of posts popped up, he was in a swat with Matt and killing him. It was brutal.

I don't think he acknowledges Matt anymore. Probably doesn't believe in punching down.

Yeah, Clay is light-years beyond Matt's level and that won't ever change. Matt is just a local regional guy and won't ever resonate on a national level.

Yeah, Clay is light-years beyond Matt's level and that won't ever change. Matt is just a local regional guy and won't ever resonate on a national level.
His current ESPN contract and radio show says that isn't actually true. Matt resonates just fine on a national level or ESPN wouldn't continue to renew his contract. Clay may be bigger but that is only because he moved over to the political spectrum to kiss the asses of MAGA republicans and got Rush's old time slot/show with Buck Sexton (or whatever his name is). He has become a political shock jock while continuing to be a jackass and the MAGA extremists on the right can't get enough. It was a smart move on his part for his success but he had to sell out to get there.

His current ESPN contract and radio show says that isn't actually true. Matt resonates just fine on a national level or ESPN wouldn't continue to renew his contract. Clay may be bigger but that is only because he moved over to the political spectrum to kiss the asses of MAGA republicans and got Rush's old time slot/show with Buck Sexton (or whatever his name is). He has become a political shock jock while continuing to be a jackass and the MAGA extremists on the right can't get enough. It was a smart move on his part for his success but he had to sell out to get there.
Nope, it is true. Matt is light years behind Clay. He has a state centric radio show and talks NFL on ESPN radio. That's nowhere near the stratosphere of Clay Travis.

You can say it ia due to his political content, which Matt would lose popularity if he went political in KY, but the fact is, Travis smokes him.

Nope, it is true. Matt is light years behind Clay. He has a state centric radio show and talks NFL on ESPN radio. That's nowhere near the stratosphere of Clay Travis.

You can say it ia due to his political content, which Matt would lose popularity if he went political in KY, but the fact is, Travis smokes him.
I didn't say Travis wasn't bigger because he is simply because he used the system to his benefit. Had Clay not switched to the political agenda while kissing the ass of the MAGA movement, he wouldn't be anywhere near the level he is. I said your statement about Matt not resonating on a national level was false. His contracts being renewed by ESPN does in fact resonate on a national level. That is the part of your statement that is simply factually inaccurate. He doesn't have to be bigger that Travis to resonate on a national level.

I didn't say Travis wasn't bigger because he is simply because he used the system to his benefit. Had Clay not switched to the political agenda while kissing the ass of the MAGA movement, he wouldn't be anywhere near the level he is. I said your statement about Matt not resonating on a national level was false. His contracts being renewed by ESPN does in fact resonate on a national level. That is the part of your statement that is simply factually inaccurate. He doesn't have to be bigger that Travis to resonate on a national level.

Sports only, Travis had a much bigger reach as he isn't a one trick pony talking UK sports. He is a national level guy with Foxsports (who bought Outkick). Much more impressive than a B list nfl preview show where both guys, one of which had no idea how football works, are filling air.

When he’s gone a month, the guest hosts aren’t that bad. 10 weeks is a little overkill. I’ve never missed an episode but those guys yesterday were terrible. Rupp to no good or something. I thought the sources say guys were bad. These took the cake.

When he’s gone a month, the guest hosts aren’t that bad. 10 weeks is a little overkill. I’ve never missed an episode but those guys yesterday were terrible. Rupp to no good or something. I thought the sources say guys were bad. These took the cake.
I agree. I tried to listen yesterday, and those guys were definitely not my cup of tea.

Sports only, Travis had a much bigger reach as he isn't a one trick pony talking UK sports. He is a national level guy with Foxsports (who bought Outkick). Much more impressive than a B list nfl preview show where both guys, one of which had no idea how football works, are filling air.
But you still are wrong. B list or not, he resonates on a national level because he has had multiple contracts on a national platform. If he didn’t resonate or have want good, he would have never gotten the second contract. Non of that other stuff changes the inaccuracy of your primary statement about MJ.

But you still are wrong. B list or not, he resonates on a national level because he has had multiple contracts on a national platform. If he didn’t resonate or have want good, he would have never gotten the second contract. Non of that other stuff changes the inaccuracy of your primary statement about MJ.
It's all good. You think Matt is a national act. I think "national" is being kind to a state guy who has a B list show on Sunday when everyone is asleep or at church.

Reactions: Elbridge
It's all good. You think Matt is a national act. I think "national" is being kind to a state guy who has a B list show on Sunday when everyone is asleep or at church.
I never said I think he is a national act. I said you saying he doesn’t resonate on a national level is incorrect. It doesn’t matter when his show is on. He has repeatedly been renewed by a national brand with a national radio show. That doesn’t happen if ESPN isn’t getting good ratings on his show which doesn’t happen if he doesn’t resonate nationally. Your primary point is just flat out inaccurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT