ADVERTISEMENT

"Evidence that a 9 game schedule is on the horizon "

I'm not sure a 9-game conference schedule means the end of "rivalry" games so much as it signals an end to traditionally weak OOCs.

The expanded conference schedule and end or at least tweaking of standard puff OOC has been coming for a long time. NIL, players getting paid has expedited it.

Now that conferences have to budget some money to split among schools to pay players, you're going to need another competitive game to sell.

UL and UK are known marketable brands. I don't foresee a situation where the ACC, SEC, or any combination of conferences that mingle via rivalries, nor their media partners allow schools to dump them.

The first games on the chopping blocks are games in which the schools are paying half a million to a million, out of their pocket, and nobody really cares about.

Especially if private equity comes in a gets involved. That's an easy line item to notice and get rid of.

Private Equity: "Wait a minute here folks...what are all these 750,000 and million dollar payments?"

Athletic Directors and Conference officials: "That's all the Nortsouth Western East Techs we play"

Private Equity: "Absolutely f8cking not...here's what's going down, you're adding another conference game and you're going to play at least 1 if not 2 teams from other P5s."

Even if PE doesn't get involved, it's the same thing for negotiations for media rights.

Conferences are wanting more money, what kind of pitch is "uh yeah we're going to drop the somewhat competitive rivalry games but keep 3 non p5 puffs that never sell out the stadiums let alone get any eyes on the TV if they're lucky enough to make an off time on ESPN deportes U 3...that nobody pays for in the cable subscriptions..."

I'm not sure a 9-game conference schedule means the end of "rivalry" games so much as it signals an end to traditionally weak OOCs.

The expanded conference schedule and end or at least tweaking of standard puff OOC has been coming for a long time. NIL, players getting paid has expedited it.

Now that conferences have to budget some money to split among schools to pay players, you're going to need another competitive game to sell.

UL and UK are known marketable brands. I don't foresee a situation where the ACC, SEC, or any combination of conferences that mingle via rivalries, nor their media partners allow schools to dump them.

The first games on the chopping blocks are games in which the schools are paying half a million to a million, out of their pocket, and nobody really cares about.

Especially if private equity comes in a gets involved. That's an easy line item to notice and get rid of.

Private Equity: "Wait a minute here folks...what are all these 750,000 and million dollar payments?"

Athletic Directors and Conference officials: "That's all the Nortsouth Western East Techs we play"

Private Equity: "Absolutely f8cking not...here's what's going down, you're adding another conference game and you're going to play at least 1 if not 2 teams from other P5s."

Even if PE doesn't get involved, it's the same thing for negotiations for media rights.

Conferences are wanting more money, what kind of pitch is "uh yeah we're going to drop the somewhat competitive rivalry games but keep 3 non p5 puffs that never sell out the stadiums let alone get any eyes on the TV if they're lucky enough to make an off time on ESPN deportes U 3...that nobody pays for in the cable subscriptions..."

I been trying to say that for months but you said it much clearer than I been able to do.

I’d much rather watch UK play other P4 conference teams during the regular season even if it means not making a schitty bowl in some schitty city in the South.

I been trying to say that for months but you said it much clearer than I been able to do.

Yeah, I'm bewildered by the fact that the discussion always tends to go to "welp so much for rivalry games and/or big non-conference games..."

As if TV and conference execs are sitting there saying "Yeah another conference game is tough. I guess we'll just get rid of USC v Notre Dame, Texas v Michigan, UGA v Clemson, Bama v Wisconsin, LSU v USC..." and on and on...

Folks, those types of games are going to become the norm. Not just cool little things that happen here and there amongst the ranks of a handful of big boys who can afford a tough OOC every other year or so.

All the other programs down the P5/P4 rosters are going to start mingling more.

I’d much rather watch UK play other P4 conference teams during the regular season even if it means not making a schitty bowl in some schitty city in the South.

I think that's the logic of it.

Masses of casual fans would rather watch UK, Iowa, IU, UNC, Arizona, ASU, UCLA, Baylor, Miami, FSU, UL, Duke, etc play one another as opposed to WKU, Akron, Citadel, Middle Tenn., Mercer, Kennesaw St, etc...

Which goes to my opinion that it depends on if the ACC stays relevant. If 4 teams leave then it loses the relevance.

I don't think it remains a P5 school in football if just Cu, and FSU leave. Maybe it would take more with all the new schools joining this past year. UNC has tried to be in that group, I guess Louisville has too, but reality is they might be a little better than the top few Group teams, I believe Brent Key will elevate Tech above both of those schools within the next couple years, I think Brent Key is one of the top coaches in the ACC, he is just having to overcome years of awful recruiting. Unlike most programs they can't hit the portal for players because they would have a hard time getting credits accepted.

But until one of these schools actually leaves, it's nothing but saber rattling, and the ACC which CU and FSU are both a part of, made this contract almost impossible to leave without giving of their media rights.

We had a home and home scheduled with UCLA starting in 25, they just canceled so looks like we will be scrambling to fill the spot. They also canceled their series with AU.

Last edited:
Not sure how much input each individual school is going to have on their OOC schedules. If we are wanting top money from TV deals the less SEC vs Sun Belt games the better. If Louisville offers 0 for playing them, what does playing Central Michigan offer? Right now UK clearly has the stronger program and who sees that changing anytime soon? Of course if CU and FSU are able to escape the ACC playing Louisville might become playing Central Michigan very soon and then it will be the P3. With the cost of attending games today, attending a cream puff game just isn't appealing to me. Playing GT does nothing for UGA, but kicking their teeth in for the last 20 years has been fun, and they are going to get better, may become competitive again soon, and I still want to play them.
You know what it offers?

1. A guaranteed home game every season. Louisville you lose 1 every other season.
2. It means all 3 non-conference games are owned by the SEC...not alternating with Louisville/ACC. Every single UK Football game will be owned by the SEC.
3. Easier path to a bowl...means more money for the conference with more teams in the postseason.

I'm for keeping the UofL game....but the 3 non-conference games being at home and having them in the first month of the season pretty much guarantees 3 sellouts in the warm weather months (the Thanksgiving game will be a SEC game now more than likely). With our revenue issues, we can't give up a home game.

Basically every year now....
3 NC home games + 4 SEC Home Games = 7 guaranteed games.
The years we play UofL that's 8 home games.

9 game SEC schedule....
2 NC home games + 4 or 5 SEC Games....

Now it would mean on average we'd only be able to have 7 a year....meaning every 2 years we lose a home game....over 10 years that's 5 home games we lose.

Just say 60,000 is our average....say we get $2.8 million per home game. That's a $14 million loss in revenue over a decade (which inflation will make it $16-$17 million)

The UK/UL isn't a big ratings driver....us owning all our crap games means the SEC can put it on the SEC Network or ESPN+....which to them is a big boost because we'll watch it anyways. There's value in that...

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
You know what it offers?

1. A guaranteed home game every season. Louisville you lose 1 every other season.
2. It means all 3 non-conference games are owned by the SEC...not alternating with Louisville/ACC. Every single UK Football game will be owned by the SEC.
3. Easier path to a bowl...means more money for the conference with more teams in the postseason.

I'm for keeping the UofL game....but the 3 non-conference games being at home and having them in the first month of the season pretty much guarantees 3 sellouts in the warm weather months (the Thanksgiving game will be a SEC game now more than likely). With our revenue issues, we can't give up a home game.

9 game SEC schedule....

Now it would mean on average we'd only be able to have 7 a year....meaning every 2 years we lose a home game....over 10 years that's 5 home games we lose.

Just say 60,000 is our average....say we get $2.8 million per home game. That's a $14 million loss in revenue over a decade (which inflation will make it $16-$17 million)

The UK/UL isn't a big ratings driver....us owning all our crap games means the SEC can put it on the SEC Network or ESPN+....which to them is a big boost because we'll watch it anyways. There's value in that...
“…guarantees 3 sellouts in the warm weather months…”

When was the last time Commonwealth Stadium was sold out for an OOC game other than Louisville?

Kentucky Louisville game TV network when we host and the SEC has the rights...meaning this is what the SEC gets out of it...

2007 ESPN Classic
2009 ESPNU
2011 ESPNU
2013 ESPN Noon
2015 SEC Network NOON
2017 SEC Network NOON
2019 SEC Network NOON
2022 SEC Network 3pm

This is where the SEC puts us on during rivalry weekend....every year since the new SEC Network opened up....on Thanksgiving we've gotten the 2 worst SEC Network timeslots...meaning they don't care about the game. The ACC does put us on better networks....but that league sucks and it shows that league sucks. We're on against Ohio State/Michigan and Alabama/Auburn....that means they're just dumping our game.

And before we talk about it being on ABC/ESPN slots at Louisville....the SEC doesn't own those games and it doesn't matter to them....the ACC has crap games that weekend and usually we're just one of the best choices. But again...it doesn't really matter to us. Now that the SEC has ALL games on ESPN....ESPN has the rights to the Iron Bowl unlike when CBS had it....they have Texas and OU on rivalry weekend. Some crap little UK/UL game does not matter to them at all.

The one time we got a good slot was a week 3 noon slot in 2013 when Teddy Bridgewater and Louisville were a big story in the sport.

Adding an extra SEC game will be far more valuable for the SEC and if they lost the Governor's Cup....again the SEC won't be losing anything. On Thanksgiving weekend....Texas/A&M will resume their rivalry which then will place LSU/OU playing each other. So we're now going to be even further down in the pecking order.

The game is more valuable to the ACC's inventory of games than the SEC.

Extra SEC game + 3 crap non-conference games....means all 12 UK games are under ESPN/SEC control. To them, that's more valuable than the Governor's cup instead of losing 1 Kentucky game every other year that doesn't really gain the SEC much....

“…guarantees 3 sellouts in the warm weather months…”

When was the last time Commonwealth Stadium was sold out for an OOC game other than Louisville?
Ah, you're a narrative type of guy! But first the facts though...

2023:
We had 58,286 against Ball State at Noon
We had 61,876 against EKU at 3pm
We had 59,456 against Akron at 7pm

2022:
Miami Ohio: 61,139 primetime Labor Day Weekend
Youngstown State: 59,308 at noon
No. Illinois: 61,579 primetime
Louisville: 58,727 at 3pm

Other years of UK/UL attendance at Kroger field...
2019: 48,336
2017: 56,186
2015: 62,512

We've had 7 of those the last 2 seasons, Louisville was the 6th most.

Seems to me...our fans show up more for the early season games in better weather than that cold Thanksgiving game against Louisville in a bad timeslot....

So now my point is proven....we'd be sacrificing games that seem to have better attendance for the Governor's Cup that is on a bad timeslot...

^ Dumbest thing ever was moving LV game to end of season. The early season games were way funner/exciting.

Ah, you're a narrative type of guy! But first the facts though...

2023:
We had 58,286 against Ball State at Noon
We had 61,876 against EKU at 3pm
We had 59,456 against Akron at 7pm

2022:
Miami Ohio: 61,139 primetime Labor Day Weekend
Youngstown State: 59,308 at noon
No. Illinois: 61,579 primetime
Louisville: 58,727 at 3pm

Other years of UK/UL attendance at Kroger field...
2019: 48,336
2017: 56,186
2015: 62,512

We've had 7 of those the last 2 seasons, Louisville was the 6th most.

Seems to me...our fans show up more for the early season games in better weather than that cold Thanksgiving game against Louisville in a bad timeslot....

So now my point is proven....we'd be sacrificing games that seem to have better attendance for the Governor's Cup that is on a bad timeslot...
So, the last sellout of an OOC game other than UL was EKU, whose campus is located 27 miles from UK’s.

^ Dumbest thing ever was moving LV game to end of season. The early season games were way funner/exciting.
Governor's Cup Record in the Modern Era

Labor Day Weekend: 6-10
Week 3 Sept: 2-2

Early Season: 8-12 Louisville Advantage

Thanksgiving Weekend: 6-3 (5 of the last 6)

Seems like they did a lot better when it was Labor Day weekend. Being that they play a much weaker schedule....they built their whole summer around this game. They could really just go all out and base their whole season around this game, because they didn't play anyone the rest of the way. For us, it was a big game...but we also would have big games behind it...and it really hurt our season.

Notice now....they joined the ACC and it got a little harder....a little more beat up. Going through a tougher schedule we've played better in this game.

Even their 3 wins since the move...
2014: We were far outmatched talent-wise and were a dropped INT away from winning
2015: We were up 21-0 and just blew it because Lamar Jackson is the greatest QB of his generation...and Boom Williams got hurt
2017: That's the only time they looked better....and they had Lamar Jackson...

Reactions: Ky grandpa
So, the last sellout of an OOC game other than UL was EKU, whose campus is located 27 miles from UK’s.
So what I'm saying is....we haven't sold out the Louisville game in 9 years. Now I know you're probably set in your mindset...I'm not saying I want the UofL game to go away...I've rarely missed one since 1997 with my dad. But I'm stating factual information about revnue

But we generally get 60k fans for those non-conference games....so again....dont move the goalposts...if it's about money....what do we lose getting rid of the UofL game versus keeping it...

Look at it like this...just say by your logic that the UofL game sells out(which it doesn't) but go with that....and I'll do a lower estimate of fans.

If we play Louisville
2028: Louisville Home game 62k
2029: Louisville on the road 0 fans
Total of 62,000 fans over those two years

If we play a generic G5 or FBS team:
2028: 59k fans against Ohio
2029: 58k fans against Eastern Michigan
Total of 117,000 fans over those 2 years.
117k minus 62k = 55k fans

-Just say tickets on average are $50.00 per fan
-With the difference in fans....that's $2.75 million in revenue loss with that home game.
-And over a decade that's about $14 million less in revenue
-That's also not including food & alcohol sales...

So when it comes to revenue....with a 9 game SEC schedule....losing the UofL game would be better for our bottom line.

With which school would you rather see UK end its regular season?
Louisville beat us most of the time on Labor Day
Tennessee always beat us on Thanksgiving

I'm good with the change.

Here are the SEC teams we can't play on Thanksgiving due to being locked in with rivalries...
-USCjr, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Texas A&M, Georgia, Ole Miss, Miss State

Teams not locked in on a certain date...but could change..
-Tennessee, Vandy, LSU, OU, Missouri, & Arkansas

More facts...

-Tennessee/Vandy play that weekend....but it's not something they'd fight about because no one cares about the game...they're logical choices to play....but then if we play one then the other needs to find a game.

-Missouri/Arkansas have sort of become a Thanksgiving game....but remember Missouri/KU was the old rivalry. They had only played 5 times before joining the SEC too...so it's not like they're set in stone on this weekend.

IF we did change....it's likely it would have to be this type of scenario....this would make the most sense...

1. Kentucky/Missouri becomes the game...border states and a budding rivalry. I think we'd all be up for that game...putting it on Thanksgiving would kid of give it a bigger feel as a rivalry game IMO. Maybe make it a Friday game?

2. Arkansas/LSU was previously a Thanksgiving weekend game that was moved....it would go back to being a rivalry game.

3. OU will bring back the Bedlam rivalry game and play it on that weekend.

OR

1. Kentucky/Tennessee goes back to Thanksgiving
2. Vandy plays a non-conference series....which they were doing before anyways. (Maybe they make a series with MTSU or Memphis?)

Personally?
I'd love to make the Vandy game on Thanksgiving weekend....and on the years we play in Nashville we'll have a basketball doubleheader at Bridgestone as a BBN Takeover game. Not likely to happen but crazier things have come to fruition...

Reactions: Ky grandpa
You know what it offers?

9 game SEC schedule....

You are responding as if UK is borderline team to make a bowl, that isn't the case any longer. . That 18m over a decade is really a drop in the bucket when you talking 500m of TV money over a decade. But if you think getting to a bowl game would be an issue with 10 P4 or P3 games then I guess UK shouldn't schedule them. I just disagree with that.

You are responding as if UK is borderline team to make a bowl, that isn't the case any longer. . That 18m over a decade is really a drop in the bucket when you talking 500m of TV money over a decade. But if you think getting to a bowl game would be an issue with 10 P4 or P3 games then I guess UK shouldn't schedule them. I just disagree with that.
The playoff is making bowl games even more meaningless. The obvious goal now is to make the 12-team playoff. Even UK fans are getting tired of going to crappy bowls.

Reactions: sjjones
So what I'm saying is....we haven't sold out the Louisville game in 9 years. Now I know you're probably set in your mindset...I'm not saying I want the UofL game to go away...I've rarely missed one since 1997 with my dad. But I'm stating factual information about revnue

But we generally get 60k fans for those non-conference games....so again....dont move the goalposts...if it's about money....what do we lose getting rid of the UofL game versus keeping it...

Look at it like this...just say by your logic that the UofL game sells out(which it doesn't) but go with that....and I'll do a lower estimate of fans.

If we play Louisville
2028: Louisville Home game 62k
2029: Louisville on the road 0 fans
Total of 62,000 fans over those two years

If we play a generic G5 or FBS team:
2028: 59k fans against Ohio
2029: 58k fans against Eastern Michigan
Total of 117,000 fans over those 2 years.
117k minus 62k = 55k fans

-Just say tickets on average are $50.00 per fan
-With the difference in fans....that's $2.75 million in revenue loss with that home game.
-And over a decade that's about $14 million less in revenue
-That's also not including food & alcohol sales...

So when it comes to revenue....with a 9 game SEC schedule....losing the UofL game would be better for our bottom line.
What would we lose by dropping the UL game? The last bit of respect we have in the SEC. It isn’t only about money in this regard.

We need a genuine rival that we can beat at least half the time. We have that in UL. Georgia pounds Georgia Tech on the regular but they would never want the series to end. South Carolina feels the same about Clemson even though the Cocks are the ones getting beaten most of the time. Florida and Florida State have ups and downs, too, but they would never end the series.

Drop UL to play Kent State? The laughter from our SEC brethren would be loud and persistent. To me, ending the series is a non-starter.

When our game with UL takes place is another convo.

I don't know who the genius is that decided ULvUK should go up against the likes of the huge brand and historic rivalries of "Rivalry Week"...but it has to be one of the worst decisions ever.

Less than ideal weather, much bigger, better games on.

No casual fans are going to take an interest in two middle tier teams battling it for 7-8 wins and mediocre bowl bid when titan programs are playing one another. Our fans are barely interested that time of year. Weather can be crap, SEC gauntlet has done what it does, folks are pissy because the mediocre bowl bid both teams are playing for isn't real motivating.

I want that game moved to first game of season. New season, healthy rosters, high hopes, better weather, no real competition. Everyone is itching for some competitive football after the summer sports doldrums.

What would we lose by dropping the UL game? The last bit of respect we have in the SEC. It isn’t only about money in this regard.

We need a genuine rival that we can beat at least half the time. We have that in UL. Georgia pounds Georgia Tech on the regular but they would never want the series to end. South Carolina feels the same about Clemson even though the Cocks are the ones getting beaten most of the time. Florida and Florida State have ups and downs, too, but they would never end the series.

Drop UL to play Kent State? The laughter from our SEC brethren would be loud and persistent. To me, ending the series is a non-starter.
We're not dropping Louisville to play Kent State.

We're dropping Louisville to play LSU, Texas, OU, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri....teams what we won't have as a permanent rival. What SEC schools are playing brutal non-conference opponents outside of the elite of the elite?

I want the game to stay....but it's to a point that 9 SEC games is flat out brutal. You can go on about scheduling weak non-conference opponents....every other SEC team does it. If we go to 9 SEC games then I would imagine most all of the top teams will be doing this. IT would be one thing if the SEC added UNC, Virginia Tech, NC State, etc. but we added OU and Texas to an already strong league.

I mean if we play a 9 game SEC schedule....what team is going to laugh at our schedule?

We're already at a pretty big revenue gap with other programs....when we added the additional non-conference game and dropped IU....our results improved and it's been better for our program. Taking emotion out, it's probably the smart move.

Last season: Georgia played Ball State, UAB, UT Martin, and Georgia Tech....boy they sure don't have any respect because of that schedule...

I want the game to stay, but if we get rid of it.....let me tell you the truth. No one will care outside of this state. No one will notice that we don't play. Louisville is on a path to becoming irrelevant once this next part of realignment happens.

Even when the game was earlier in the season....ESPN put the game on ESPNU and ESPN Classic. SEC always puts it in the worst timeslot during Thanksgiving. It matters to me and I love the game, but rationally it won't matter and no one will care or make fun of us.

When our game with UL takes place is another convo.

I don't know who the genius is that decided ULvUK should go up against the likes of the huge brand and historic rivalries of "Rivalry Week"...but it has to be one of the worst decisions ever.

Less than ideal weather, much bigger, better games on.

No casual fans are going to take an interest in two middle tier teams battling it for 7-8 wins and mediocre bowl bid when titan programs are playing one another. Our fans are barely interested that time of year. Weather can be crap, SEC gauntlet has done what it does, folks are pissy because the mediocre bowl bid both teams are playing for isn't real motivating.

I want that game moved to first game of season. New season, healthy rosters, high hopes, better weather, no real competition. Everyone is itching for some competitive football after the summer sports doldrums.
Louisville moving to the ACC made it happen as all of the rights were under one roof. The conferences wanted the game that weekend. We didn't want the game week 1, remember Brooks changed that and the games at Commonwealth stopped being Labor Day weekend. Louisville put all their energy into the game...and when we lost the game...it would pretty much ruin our season most of the time. For us, there's less pressure at the end because we can just give it our all.

I think the schools and conferences want to minimize travel on Thanksgiving weekend. It's harder to get attendance and for people to travel because of all that's going on during the week. It's hard to get teams to want to travel on that weekend...or get fans to show up to the stadium. Bad weather...family gatherings...shopping....etc. Generally they try to have teams play teams that are close by so that they can make it easier on travel for the teams during the week and for the fans getting to the stadium....because a rival close by will draw a few more fans.

There's a lot of financial and travel data put into this matter....

In the ACC during rivalry week....
UNC/NC State, FSU/UF, CLEM/SC, VT/UVA, Duke/Wake, Cuse/BC, GT/UGA...

It leaves 3 teams...Louisville, Pitt, & Miami. One of those teams would have to play a non-conference game every Thanksgiving....neither had a clear rival close by other than Louisville who already plays Kentucky.

So then for the SEC....Tennessee would rather play Vandy that weekend and vice versa. Vandy was playing a non-conference game that weekend. So it was easy to just move Kentucky to playing Louisville that weekend. We were losing to UT every year....so it's not like it was some tradition we wanted to keep going.

Reactions: Catemus
The UK-U6 game means nothing to the national media, they just ignore the results. For 5 years running UK entered the game as the underdog and for 5 years running UK has spanked that ass but you'd never know it by reading/listening to the national sports media. It's as if the game was never played. On the one had I'd just as soon play U6, UK needs wins but on the other I'd just as soon put them back on track to the OVC where they were headed before CM Newton bailed them out. Eff'em.

Reactions: WildcatofNati2
The UK-U6 game means nothing to the national media, they just ignore the results. For 5 years running UK entered the game as the underdog and for 5 years running UK has spanked that ass but you'd never know it by reading/listening to the national sports media. It's as if the game was never played. On the one had I'd just as soon play U6, UK needs wins but on the other I'd just as soon put them back on track to the OVC where they were headed before CM Newton bailed them out. Eff'em.
Their largest games in history are when the play us...last year was the first time they've ever drawn 60k fans. We're their biggest opponent....and honestly of our major conference opponents they aren't a heavily attended game.

We're dropping Louisville to play LSU, Texas, OU, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri....teams what we won't have as a permanent rival. What SEC schools are playing brutal non-conference opponents outside of the elite of the elite?

I want the game to stay....but it's to a point that 9 SEC games is flat out brutal. You can go on about scheduling weak non-conference opponents....every other SEC team does it. If we go to 9 SEC games then I would imagine most all of the top teams will be doing this. IT would be one thing if the SEC added UNC, Virginia Tech, NC State, etc. but we added OU and Texas to an already strong league.

I mean if we play a 9 game SEC schedule....what team is going to laugh at our schedule?

We're already at a pretty big revenue gap with other programs....when we added the additional non-conference game and dropped IU....our results improved and it's been better for our program. Taking emotion out, it's probably the smart move.

Last season: Georgia played Ball State, UAB, UT Martin, and Georgia Tech....boy they sure don't have any respect because of that schedule...

I want the game to stay, but if we get rid of it.....let me tell you the truth. No one will care outside of this state. No one will notice that we don't play. Louisville is on a path to becoming irrelevant once this next part of realignment happens.

Even when the game was earlier in the season....ESPN put the game on ESPNU and ESPN Classic. SEC always puts it in the worst timeslot during Thanksgiving. It matters to me and I love the game, but rationally it won't matter and no one will care or make fun of us.
I acknowledge your points, but please don’t compare us to Georgia.

I acknowledge your points, but please don’t compare us to Georgia.
You're right.

A program like UGA with all of their talent should be held to a higher standard in terms of their scheduling than a program like Kentucky. You're right, we should not compare.

You're right.

A program like UGA with all of their talent should be held to a higher standard in terms of their scheduling than a program like Kentucky. You're right, we should not compare.
This guy has a CLEAR soft spot for U6. My philosophy is, drop them for ANY other P4 team other than Ohio St. or Michigan and the like. Work a deal with VA. Tech, Michigan St., West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, Illinois, whatever. Caterus can't wail that the SEC will laugh at us for dropping U6 for Wisconsin or North Carolina, and, yep, we could schedule a U6 equivalent, Catemus. If we have to keep a OOC P4 opponent, it doesn't have to be Louisville to keep our credibility.
I wouldn't mind spanking uc ass every year. Technically, they're P4.

This guy has a CLEAR soft spot for U6. My philosophy is, drop them for ANY other P4 team other than Ohio St. or Michigan and the like. Work a deal with VA. Tech, Michigan St., West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, Illinois, whatever. Caterus can't wail that the SEC will laugh at us for dropping U6 for Wisconsin or North Carolina, and, yep, we could schedule a U6 equivalent, Catemus. If we have to keep a OOC P4 opponent, it doesn't have to be Louisville to keep our credibility.
Yeah, U6 nut huggers seeking attention. They have a hard time accepting that nobody cares.

Yeah, U6 nut huggers seeking attention. They have a hard time accepting that nobody cares.
😂 Well, I’ll just have to be satisfied in knowing that UK won’t be dropping UL from the schedule anytime soon despite the wailings of armchair scheduling experts on the forum.

😂 Well, I’ll just have to be satisfied in knowing that UK won’t be dropping UL from the schedule anytime soon despite the wailings of armchair scheduling experts on the forum.
We'll see. To be fair, after reading some of your other responses, I'll retract my impression that you're a U6 fan. You're a UK basketball guy. So, that's probably why you disrespect the football team, and allege that the joke U6 Football program is above ours. Well, let's look at from 2018 to 2023, then. They are a joke.

We'll see. To be fair, after reading some of your other responses, I'll retract my impression that you're a U6 fan. You're a UK basketball guy. So, that's probably why you disrespect the football team, and allege that the joke U6 Football program is above ours. Well, let's look at from 2018 to 2023, then. They are a joke.
I disrespect our football team? No, I’m a very old football-first fan who has longed for a change in the status of football at UK. I don’t even like basketball, especially the last 15 years of Calipari. I can count on both hands the total number of basketball games I’ve ever attended at UK.

I don’t see UK fans ever elevating the status of football to that of basketball. I’m enjoying the ride with Stoops at the helm but I think we’ll always be dismissed as a basketball-first school by the rest of the SEC. They certainly use that against us in recruiting.

Regarding UL, as I said I’m very old and I don’t have the hate for them that younger fans do. I like all of our state schools and want them all to succeed. It’s better to beat UL when they’re winning, like last year, than it is when they’re down and out.

A guaranteed home game every season. Louisville you lose 1 every other season.

Exactly. We'll need more money and a guaranteed home game fits that bill. The only option is if ul is willing to give or split the gate.

Hilarious thing is theyd strongly consider the offer. They literally live for that game and the hopes of winning. Without it theyre cast into obscurity.

Reactions: Nuke99m
We'll see how the next couple of seasons go. If we both hang around top half of conferences and top 25 it is going to be a hard to make a case for the 2 programs not to play one another. I mean the game was an absolute barn burner this past season and had legit ramifications on bowl season, people's opinions on ACC, etc.

Right now, we happen to have one of the more respected and influential ADs in the land who is essentially the consigliere to the most powerful man in sports Sanke. How MB feels about UL will determine how it goes. I don't see him, mostly likely at the tail end of his career, wanting to make that big of a decision and be the guy who got rid of the rivalry game. That would bring some attention, maybe even some political ballyhooing from state officials. He's never been a boat rocker.

As we move more and more towards a couple of major conferences and professional structure, programs are going to have less and less influence on who they play, when, where, why, etc.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue

Yes, UGA played those 4 OOC games, but no one mentions the the SEC offices canceled our series with OU because of possible scheduling conflicts starting in 24 and the scramble to find a 12th game, UT Martin. This week UCLA canceled the series with UGA because of so much travel, also canceled a series with AU I believe, USC canceled with OM and tried to cancel with LSU. UGA filled the UCLA slot with Marshal at a cost of 1.7m, it's either pick up a group team or play 11 games a year out. Not one UGA fan was happy with those 3 OOC games, all of them wants to beat Tech.

Exactly. We'll need more money and a guaranteed home game fits that bill. The only option is if ul is willing to give or split the gate.

Hilarious thing is theyd strongly consider the offer. They literally live for that game and the hopes of winning. Without it theyre cast into obscurity.
No one outside of Kentucky cares about the UK/UL game. As I said earlier, I see UL turning in to Indiana.

My philosophy is, eject 'em. If we are forced to take a P4 out of conference opponent, let's take West Virginia. Let's spank uc every year, somehow they became P4 and are predictably stinking. Or let's take our chances with a Penn St. or Wisconsin even if will be a bitch every year to win. Not Ohio St., though. Not unless we really get better.

And I think the selection committee would be fine with any of those P4 or P3 teams, whatever it is. When Quality wins is one of the criteria to making the playoffs, having 3 games against group teams is 3 less chances to get a quality win to go on your resume for the playoff selection committee.

And I think the selection committee would be fine with any of those P4 or P3 teams, whatever it is. When Quality wins is one of the criteria to making the playoffs, having 3 games against group teams is 3 less chances to get a quality win to go on your resume for the playoff selection committee.
With a 9 game SEC schedule, you have plenty of time. The way the playoffs work now, you don't get rewarded for a tough schedule.

They need to show they won't screw over teams playing a tough schedule....

For example...
Last year going into the last week....Louisville was 10-1 with a loss to Pitt with an absolutely garbage schedule. Ranked ahead of Ole Miss who had only lost to Alabama & Georgia, Penn State who had only lost to Ohio State & Michigan, heck even LSU with losses only to FSU, Bama, & Ole Miss, plus only 1 spot behind Mizzou who had only lost to LSU & Georgia. They still rewarded record and didn't look at who is the BEST TEAM.

You of all people should know how Georgia was probably the best team...had a bad night against a really good Bama team and you all get ranked behind a terrible but undefeated FSU team.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
With a 9 game SEC schedule, you have plenty of time. The way the playoffs work now, you don't get rewarded for a tough schedule.

They need to show they won't screw over teams playing a tough schedule....

For example...
Last year going into the last week....Louisville was 10-1 with a loss to Pitt with an absolutely garbage schedule. Ranked ahead of Ole Miss who had only lost to Alabama & Georgia, Penn State who had only lost to Ohio State & Michigan, heck even LSU with losses only to FSU, Bama, & Ole Miss, plus only 1 spot behind Mizzou who had only lost to LSU & Georgia. They still rewarded record and didn't look at who is the BEST TEAM.

You of all people should know how Georgia was probably the best team...had a bad night against a really good Bama team and you all get ranked behind a terrible but undefeated FSU team.

I won't say we were probably the best team, I think if we played well we could have beaten any of the 4, but when we had a chance to do that, we didn't get it done. I had no issue with us getting ommited from the playoffs.

But if you think the selection committee didn't take who they thought were the 4 best teams, how do you explain a 13-0 not making the playoffs? I have no problem with the 10 P4 games on the 24 schedule. Had 10 scheduled for 25 until UCLA canceled. Posters wanting to keep the 3 cupcakes say UK needs the home games, well i saw an add the other day, 3 game package starting at 137 per ticket, 45$ a game. Do you think they are selling them for that because they are flying out the ticket booth? I know they aren't the good seats but still UK is having trouble selling them, So needing the cash from home games isn't the reason. I know UK wants to get to the playoffs, and many on here have said UK doesn't get the respect it deserves, and I agree, what makes you think that is going to change when the selection committee is looking at 9-3 or even 10-2 teams to invite to playoffs and here is UK with 3 wins over directional Michigan schools and a 6-3 conference record and a PSU with 2 wins over directional Michigan schools, a win over West Virginia and a 6-3 conference record? Resumes almost identical other than an extra P4 win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT