ADVERTISEMENT

Kinda sad theme of the board

I mean honestly in a single game situation, 9/10 teams lose because of the players, not the coach.

It is Cals job (imo) to build a roster who can compete for a NT and win big. I think he has failed to do that without question 2 times...2013 and 2021. To a lesser extent, 2018.

In terms of in game decision making...I hate stall ball and he goes that way alot, so I pin some of that on him but still again players gotta make plays.

Cals time here has been pretty snake bit honestly and maybe it karma biting us in the ass. But when you look at it we've had some major injuries at piss poor times (Noel, WCS, AP, PJ, Reid, TyTy, Wheeler) sure I'm missing others.

Recruiting losses like Wiseman, Cade, potentially DJ due to relatives/coaches at last second...Zion side show.

I am really not trying to make excuses, just a bit crazy to see how it has shook out.
Never felt like 2016 was in the running either. That team was the most blah team in the Cal era.

I'm not sure, but maybe this is what has caused me to post less and less these past few years. I know I'm guilty of this at times too, but the constant negativity here is just exhausting. So much doom and gloom. The 'covid year' (9-16), I've pretty much discarded as an anomaly. We damned well know this isn't indicative of the program. Yes, it happened, but tons of circumstances were involved.

The St. Peters debacle.... as physically ill as it made me feel at the time, looking back over the years, how lucky have we been that something like this hadn't happened to UK in the tournament? It's happened to a lot of other top programs in college basketball. Sometimes more than once (Kansas w/Vermont and Northern Iowa, Dook w/Lehigh and Mercer). The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to think that as far as this past tournament, maybe it was simply UK's 'turn'. All the bitching, whining and negativity here isn't going to change what happened.

Going forward, are there things that need to change? Of course there is. John Calipari isn't in the HOF for nothing. However, I think he's reached the point in his career where he can no longer be stubborn and refuse to adapt. I am remaining optimistic that he will. He simply has to see that the 'old way' isn't helping this program reach the levels of success it has enjoyed so many times throughout its history. He is far too competitive to simply accept what has happened and not make changes or approach things a bit differently.

With that being said, I truly hope that with this coming season and beyond, Cal will see that it's ok to use a zone defense once in awhile, especially when teams are having an easy time in getting to the basket. I hope he realizes that it's ok to use a timeout and set up a play in the waning seconds of a half or at the end of the game for that matter. I'm hoping that he will expand on the use of his roster...not just 7 or 8 guys.

Do I realize that that's certainly a lot of hopes? Of course I do. I'm going to stay on the path of optimism. Kentucky Basketball is not dying, yet so many here are acting like pallbearers.
If recruiting was pre 2016 level I would agree that the Covid year might of been an anomaly, but we are no longer getting the best players. We were a popular pick to win it all this year due to our mid-season run, but anyone paying attention to how we faltered down the stretch would of known we were capable of being upset like we were. I think Bam was the last top 5 recruit that Cal signed, so I have little hope this will be fixed. We are a terribly flawed team once again with no quality depth. Very likely we are once again playing lineups with only one decent shooter on the floor.

Thank you, well prepared post and I believe many fans agree with you. Complainers are going to complain: OAD players was the problem, fans don't get to know the players, they leave for the NBA, not a good big man, too soft power forward, power forward can shot etc., over and over. This year, returning POY, starting point guard, Toppin returning, these 3 are upper classmen along with Fredrick and Ware. Reeves, a grad transfer makes 6 with great experience to go along with a talented Collins and 3 quality freshmen additions. Worry not the complainer will just change course and stay true to their agenda.
Where are the shooters? What modern offense plays a PG, PF, and center that are no threat to hit a three pointer?

Solid post. Sadly, it's a few "pretend" UK fans and then several UK "fans" that are angry about other stuff yet bring it here. Also, many here post for "likes" and know they'll get plenty of them if the complain. They "like" each other's posts (give each other the reach around) and beat their chest that they have "street cred" on a message board. LMFAO! One of the moderators here said this place is insufferable now. Sadly, it's because of a handful of very selfish posters.
This is somewhat true but not entirely. I’ve been a UK fan for over 50 years. I will always be a UK fan but UK basketball TODAY under Cal is not for me. Also, I have hundreds of friends and acquaintances that feel the same way. There is a tremendous number of longtime (and legit) UK fans that want Cal gone. To each their own but that’s how I feel.

This is somewhat true but not entirely. I’ve been a UK fan for over 50 years. I will always be a UK fan but UK basketball TODAY under Cal is not for me. Also, I have hundreds of friends and acquaintances that feel the same way. There is a tremendous number of longtime (and legit) UK fans that want Cal gone. To each their own but that’s how I feel.
That’s fair. You aren’t incessantly spreading misery, though. There are several UK-haters here and they make it too obvious.

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
I'm not sure, but maybe this is what has caused me to post less and less these past few years. I know I'm guilty of this at times too, but the constant negativity here is just exhausting. So much doom and gloom. The 'covid year' (9-16), I've pretty much discarded as an anomaly. We damned well know this isn't indicative of the program. Yes, it happened, but tons of circumstances were involved.

The St. Peters debacle.... as physically ill as it made me feel at the time, looking back over the years, how lucky have we been that something like this hadn't happened to UK in the tournament? It's happened to a lot of other top programs in college basketball. Sometimes more than once (Kansas w/Vermont and Northern Iowa, Dook w/Lehigh and Mercer). The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to think that as far as this past tournament, maybe it was simply UK's 'turn'. All the bitching, whining and negativity here isn't going to change what happened.

Going forward, are there things that need to change? Of course there is. John Calipari isn't in the HOF for nothing. However, I think he's reached the point in his career where he can no longer be stubborn and refuse to adapt. I am remaining optimistic that he will. He simply has to see that the 'old way' isn't helping this program reach the levels of success it has enjoyed so many times throughout its history. He is far too competitive to simply accept what has happened and not make changes or approach things a bit differently.

With that being said, I truly hope that with this coming season and beyond, Cal will see that it's ok to use a zone defense once in awhile, especially when teams are having an easy time in getting to the basket. I hope he realizes that it's ok to use a timeout and set up a play in the waning seconds of a half or at the end of the game for that matter. I'm hoping that he will expand on the use of his roster...not just 7 or 8 guys.

Do I realize that that's certainly a lot of hopes? Of course I do. I'm going to stay on the path of optimism. Kentucky Basketball is not dying, yet so many here are acting like pallbearers.
People overreact myself included but Kentucky isn’t a program that hopes Kentucky does. The fact that we have to hope our coach will do something know is very telling

If UK basketball isn't progressing, the fans feel like it is dying. That's the nature of the beast when you are in BBN. Cal understood this when he came here.

Some of you seem to have missed the memo about how our fans can be if we don't feel excited for the program. On top of that, this is a message board community. These places exist as forms of cathartic venting.

Some of our fans will never understand the basic reasons sports message board exist. Go look at any MLB, NFL, MLS, college football, or NBA message board and you'll find mostly the same thing.
That’s what I don’t get that’s what makes us UK and the best of the best is our fans and how passionate we are. That’s why we give a crap and are so deeply involved and care what happens to the program most of us was born into it!

If UK basketball isn't progressing, the fans feel like it is dying. That's the nature of the beast when you are in BBN. Cal understood this when he came here.

Some of you seem to have missed the memo about how our fans can be if we don't feel excited for the program. On top of that, this is a message board community. These places exist as forms of cathartic venting.

Some of our fans will never understand the basic reasons sports message board exist. Go look at any MLB, NFL, MLS, college football, or NBA message board and you'll find mostly the same thing.
If you are not improving you are getting worse.-- scuba instructor.

There would likely be no message board if there weren’t something for someone to bitch about. It’s endemic to being a fan and each of us differs in what we upsets us to bitch about. So be it. However, if any UK fan comes to this board to seek abundant words of reason and rationale thought they better radically lower their expectations. There will be a few such cogent commentators and an oversupply of knee jerk reactionariries, no different than any other fan message board. Some of us are more obsessed than others. We go through different cycles as we age. We are UK fans. Live with it and adapt as healthily as you can. I’ve been trying to do it since 1958. Go Cats!

Last edited:

I'm certainly glad you're such a better fan than the rest of us. Gosh, I know I'll sleep better tonight.

Even though I do usually complain when I'm over here, I do agree about the tenor if the board. However for one, it's summer. It's baseball season. Not much in the way of football or basketball news. And two, Lord knows we've hashed all of the issues of the past couple of seasons. If you think it's unreasonable for fans to be upset right now, I really don't know how to respond to that. I would argue being satisfied with what's transpired is unreasonable.

Most are trolls who are fans of other programs. Ask yourself if you recall any of the loudest of the loud-mouthed negative posters and Cal-bashers being around even as recently as January or so when the Cats were hot beating Tennessee, UNC and Kansas. They were nowhere to be found. The sad cases are the gullible and impressionable Kentucky fans who are allowing themselves to be led by the fakes.
Lol you have it backwards. Our rival trolls want more years of the Calipari circus, they have loved the last several years just laughing their asses off at our failures. Real UK fans are tired of being embarrassed and watching the other blue bloods have all the fun in March.

As it has been stated a thousand times before, they don't hand out trophies in January.

I am a UK fan. I will always be a UK fan. Being a UK fan doesn’t mean I love everything about the program. Being a UK fan doesn’t mean I believe everything the coach does is wonderful and perfect. Being a UK fan doesn’t mean you can’t criticize the coach.

I call it like I see it. When I see something I don’t like or I am not sure I like, I question it. But when I see something done that I like, I praise it.

Cal is no hero. Cal is no villain. He’s just a coach that’s lost his fire and is going through the motions, IMHO.

You guys are entitled to your opinion as well. I don’t care if you love Cal blindly or hate Cal blindly. It’s a free country.

The biggest problem with this board is people taking offense to people with different opinions. But that’s just my opinion. I’ll tell you mine, you tell me yours, but don’t expect me to change mine to fit yours. If you do, then you might as well beat your head against the wall. Probably the same results: a headache.

Sharpe officially left yesterday and people are on here wondering why its so negative around here. As if they have been asleep since 2019 and just woke up. Smh

Reactions: dl51344
Does it really matter to you if I do or don’t?
By the way, who were the posters here that said the 9-16 season was ok (like you said they did)?
Anyone who copies Cal and says 9-16 was an 'anomaly' or 'a throwaway season' or 'covid' is making excuses and thus justifying it. The OP did just that, just now. You guys are SO weak minded and soft. It's really sad what's happened to our once proud fanbase. Bunch of battered fans hoping Cal doesn't leave because their feefees can't handle another coaching search or some such.

If any of you are married, I pity your wives. If a man started beating on your wife, you'd probably react by saying, "Please don't do that mister. She has to cook dinner tonight."

How dare he voice his opinion here.
You've got it completely backwards. He's trying to tell everyone with a critical thought NOT to voice their opinion. But that's what you want, too. Anyone with a critical view is subject to being stifled on this board. Your reading comprehension needs attention.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith

Excellent post. These negative people are not fans of UK

Some feel like you do. Some like the original poster. It's all how we look at things.
I'm glad we're all different.
I ca

The thing that kills me is some here lament about the negative e comments on this BOARD, like it's some sort of anomaly. Are you guys asleep all the time or zombies or what. I got news for you, the stuff being said on this board is being said EVERYWHERE by literally thousands of fans.. Go just about anywhere in the state where people gather and start talking basketball and see what you hear Look around and ask folks about their current interest in UK basketball and see how many say they were once avid fans but now have lost interest. I am 63 and have followed the program since I was 7 and I have never seen anything like this. Is MOST of the fan base angry or apathetic, your damn right they are, and with good reason. If you can't see that you just aren't looking.

The thing that kills me is some here lament about the negative e comments on this BOARD, like it's some sort of anomaly. Are you guys asleep all the time or zombies or what. I got news for you, the stuff being said on this board is being said EVERYWHERE by literally thousands of fans.. Go just about anywhere in the state where people gather and start talking basketball and see what you hear Look around and ask folks about their current interest in UK basketball and see how many say they were once avid fans but now have lost interest. I am 63 and have followed the program since I was 7 and I have never seen anything like this. Is MOST of the fan base angry or apathetic, your damn right they are, and with good reason. If you can't see that you just aren't looking.
Amen.

Wait...the OP is Will Smith? Didn't know he was a UK fan.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086

Here is an experiment. Don’t post again until Cal either changes or the board gets happier. I promise one will happen before the other.

Reactions: TM2013
Most of us are just ready for a change at the top- he no longer is the top recruiter in the game. He simply is no longer a effective bench Coach. He gets destroyed on dead ball inbound situations every game - has never learned to teach a hard hedge to slow down a pick & roll - our team draws fewer charges that any team we play against. The stubbornness to not play zone a few possessions a game is unbelievable. He simply is not good enough on the sidelines to win anything of significance again

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT