ADVERTISEMENT

Kinda sad theme of the board

JC for 3

All-American
Oct 21, 2003
I'm not sure, but maybe this is what has caused me to post less and less these past few years. I know I'm guilty of this at times too, but the constant negativity here is just exhausting. So much doom and gloom. The 'covid year' (9-16), I've pretty much discarded as an anomaly. We damned well know this isn't indicative of the program. Yes, it happened, but tons of circumstances were involved.

The St. Peters debacle.... as physically ill as it made me feel at the time, looking back over the years, how lucky have we been that something like this hadn't happened to UK in the tournament? It's happened to a lot of other top programs in college basketball. Sometimes more than once (Kansas w/Vermont and Northern Iowa, Dook w/Lehigh and Mercer). The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to think that as far as this past tournament, maybe it was simply UK's 'turn'. All the bitching, whining and negativity here isn't going to change what happened.

Going forward, are there things that need to change? Of course there is. John Calipari isn't in the HOF for nothing. However, I think he's reached the point in his career where he can no longer be stubborn and refuse to adapt. I am remaining optimistic that he will. He simply has to see that the 'old way' isn't helping this program reach the levels of success it has enjoyed so many times throughout its history. He is far too competitive to simply accept what has happened and not make changes or approach things a bit differently.

With that being said, I truly hope that with this coming season and beyond, Cal will see that it's ok to use a zone defense once in awhile, especially when teams are having an easy time in getting to the basket. I hope he realizes that it's ok to use a timeout and set up a play in the waning seconds of a half or at the end of the game for that matter. I'm hoping that he will expand on the use of his roster...not just 7 or 8 guys.

Do I realize that that's certainly a lot of hopes? Of course I do. I'm going to stay on the path of optimism. Kentucky Basketball is not dying, yet so many here are acting like pallbearers.

I'm not sure, but maybe this is what has caused me to post less and less these past few years. I know I'm guilty of this at times too, but the constant negativity here is just exhausting. So much doom and gloom. The 'covid year' (9-16), I've pretty much discarded as an anomaly. We damned well know this isn't indicative of the program. Yes, it happened, but tons of circumstances were involved.

The St. Peters debacle.... as physically ill as it made me feel at the time, looking back over the years, how lucky have we been that something like this hadn't happened to UK in the tournament? It's happened to a lot of other top programs in college basketball. Sometimes more than once (Kansas w/Vermont and Northern Iowa, Dook w/Lehigh and Mercer). The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to think that as far as this past tournament, maybe it was simply UK's 'turn'. All the bitching, whining and negativity here isn't going to change what happened.

Going forward, are there things that need to change? Of course there is. John Calipari isn't in the HOF for nothing. However, I think he's reached the point in his career where he can no longer be stubborn and refuse to adapt. I am remaining optimistic that he will. He simply has to see that the 'old way' isn't helping this program reach the levels of success it has enjoyed so many times throughout its history. He is far too competitive to simply accept what has happened and not make changes or approach things a bit differently.

With that being said, I truly hope that with this coming season and beyond, Cal will see that it's ok to use a zone defense once in awhile, especially when teams are having an easy time in getting to the basket. I hope he realizes that it's ok to use a timeout and set up a play in the waning seconds of a half or at the end of the game for that matter. I'm hoping that he will expand on the use of his roster...not just 7 or 8 guys.

Do I realize that that's certainly a lot of hopes? Of course I do. I'm going to stay on the path of optimism. Kentucky Basketball is not dying, yet so many here are acting like pallbearers.
Most are trolls who are fans of other programs. Ask yourself if you recall any of the loudest of the loud-mouthed negative posters and Cal-bashers being around even as recently as January or so when the Cats were hot beating Tennessee, UNC and Kansas. They were nowhere to be found. The sad cases are the gullible and impressionable Kentucky fans who are allowing themselves to be led by the fakes.

Last edited:
Cal playing a zone?lol
......yeah....emphasis on hope there. As much as he respected Joe B., I've always been surprised that he didn't use more of Joe's tactics. If this coming season's team isn't strong defensively, I don't know how he doesn't consider this if guys are getting beat off the dribble with any regularity.

Cal running inbounds plays changing D’s and full court pressing isn’t ever happening. I just hope he can still land enough elite talent to make another final 4 run.
I don't think the press is something they have to do. Agree about the inbounds plays... really hoping for something better than what we've seen this coming season.

Calipari and Kentucky was supposed to be the perfect marriage.... but like most "perfect marriages" it wasn't true.

If we had another coach who built programs like yesteryears there wouldn't be so much doom and gloom. We were sold on top 5 recruits and championships every other year.

Message board are always inherently much more mercurial than the average fan. People are emboldened to exaggerate way more than they ever would in person to anyone both to the negative and to the positive side. Someone has a bad day at work and gets on here and just lets it out on some teenager who didn't perform up to their personal standard. You can already see people turning this thread into bashing Cal like this guy, a usual suspect. Just put a few of them on ignore and you're left with people who actually talk basketball, and don't just rant at the clouds all day. I chastise them all the time for fun.

Cal running inbounds plays changing D’s and full court pressing isn’t ever happening. I just hope he can still land enough elite talent to make another final 4 run.

Calipari and Kentucky was supposed to be the perfect marriage.... but like most "perfect marriages" it wasn't true.

If we had another coach who built programs like yesteryears there wouldn't be so much doom and gloom. We were sold on top 5 recruits and championships every other year.
...if only it were that easy...

Reactions: baseball is life

Solid post. Sadly, it's a few "pretend" UK fans and then several UK "fans" that are angry about other stuff yet bring it here. Also, many here post for "likes" and know they'll get plenty of them if the complain. They "like" each other's posts (give each other the reach around) and beat their chest that they have "street cred" on a message board. LMFAO! One of the moderators here said this place is insufferable now. Sadly, it's because of a handful of very selfish posters.

Last edited:
Time heals all wounds. But, some of these wounds are pretty deep. Sharpe, things mentioned about lack of instructions on some basics, seemingly singular offensive focus with no adjustments, awful loss to St. Peters, lousy prior season, missed recruits, and so on.

The only thing Cal can do to right the ship and fan base is to land top recruits who actually come and play. I don't mean recruits that are "hidden gems" and transfer portals players that are not rated at the very top.

If UK basketball isn't progressing, the fans feel like it is dying. That's the nature of the beast when you are in BBN. Cal understood this when he came here.

Some of you seem to have missed the memo about how our fans can be if we don't feel excited for the program. On top of that, this is a message board community. These places exist as forms of cathartic venting.

Some of our fans will never understand the basic reasons sports message board exist. Go look at any MLB, NFL, MLS, college football, or NBA message board and you'll find mostly the same thing.

Nothing is Cal's fault.Gotcha.
1. Recruiting: everyone cheats except for Kentucky.
2. Sharpe: Washington's fault. All of it.
3. 9-16: covid's fault.
4. St. Peter's: our players never played in the tournament before.
5. OT loss to Auburn: PJ couldn't make free throws.
6. Kansas State: PJ couldn't make free throws.
7. Wisconsin: bad no-call on the shot clock expiring.
8. UConn game: Higgins.
9. UNC game: Higgins.
10. West Virginia: missed threes, missed free throws.
11. 2013: Ryan Harrow's fault.
12. 2008 Memphis meltdown: missed free throws.
13. 2016 Indiana loss: Jamal Murray no-show.

Did I touch on all the major points? It hasn't been Cal's fault in a long, long time.

Cal's management and handling of the teams of the past two years has brought the board to where it is. He has made poor decisions relative to the program. Last years team was fun to watch and Oscar is a joy to see wearing UK blue. I wish the board wasn't so negative but speaking the truth is not wrong, some go a bit overboard but that door swings both ways. Cal is not likely to change anything he does(even those things we would all like to see change.) I don't think Cal can fix the program with the model and mindset he has now.

I've been a UK fan way too long to be anything else. The coming year looks good if we can avoid injuries and catch a few good breaks along the way.

Right. Also making substitutions (2nd half/end of game). Playing the hot hand- Ben at the expense of a favorite. Maybe this will be the year.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
1. Recruiting: everyone cheats except for Kentucky.
2. Sharpe: Washington's fault. All of it.
3. 9-16: covid's fault.
4. St. Peter's: our players never played in the tournament before.
5. OT loss to Auburn: PJ couldn't make free throws.
6. Kansas State: PJ couldn't make free throws.
7. Wisconsin: bad no-call on the shot clock expiring.
8. UConn game: Higgins.
9. UNC game: Higgins.
10. West Virginia: missed threes, missed free throws.
11. 2013: Ryan Harrow's fault.
12. 2008 Memphis meltdown: missed free throws.
13. 2016 Indiana loss: Jamal Murray no-show.

Did I touch on all the major points? It hasn't been Cal's fault in a long, long time.

I mean honestly in a single game situation, 9/10 teams lose because of the players, not the coach.

It is Cals job (imo) to build a roster who can compete for a NT and win big. I think he has failed to do that without question 2 times...2013 and 2021. To a lesser extent, 2018.

In terms of in game decision making...I hate stall ball and he goes that way alot, so I pin some of that on him but still again players gotta make plays.

Cals time here has been pretty snake bit honestly and maybe it karma biting us in the ass. But when you look at it we've had some major injuries at piss poor times (Noel, WCS, AP, PJ, Reid, TyTy, Wheeler) sure I'm missing others.

Recruiting losses like Wiseman, Cade, potentially DJ due to relatives/coaches at last second...Zion side show.

I am really not trying to make excuses, just a bit crazy to see how it has shook out.

Reactions: chroix
I mean honestly in a single game situation, 9/10 teams lose because of the players, not the coach.

It is Cals job (imo) to build a roster who can compete for a NT and win big. I think he has failed to do that without question 2 times...2013 and 2021. To a lesser extent, 2018.

In terms of in game decision making...I hate stall ball and he goes that way alot, so I pin some of that on him but still again players gotta make plays.

Cals time here has been pretty snake bit honestly and maybe it karma biting us in the ass. But when you look at it we've had some major injuries at piss poor times (Noel, WCS, AP, PJ, Reid, TyTy, Wheeler) sure I'm missing others.

Recruiting losses like Wiseman, Cade, potentially DJ due to relatives/coaches at last second...Zion side show.

I am really not trying to make excuses, just a bit crazy to see how it has shook out.
What are we playing Cal the big bucks for if he's not responsible for any of those things?

Message board are always inherently much more mercurial than the average fan. People are emboldened to exaggerate way more than they ever would in person to anyone both to the negative and to the positive side. Someone has a bad day at work and gets on here and just lets it out on some teenager who didn't perform up to their personal standard. You can already see people turning this thread into bashing Cal like this guy, a usual suspect. Just put a few of them on ignore and you're left with people who actually talk basketball, and don't just rant at the clouds all day. I chastise them all the time for fun.
Can't stress the use of the ignore feature enough. Across all forums, I've got over 300 people on ignore, although undoubtedly some of them have multiple accounts. It's made reading the forums much easier and quicker to read without having to sift through all the bullshit.

Can't stress the use of the ignore feature enough. Across all forums, I've got over 300 people on ignore, although undoubtedly some of them have multiple accounts. It's made reading the forums much easier and quicker to read without having to sift through all the bullshit.
That's weak just wanting people who agree with you.I've only ignored one person because they only wanted to talk politics on a sports board.

Cal's management and handling of the teams of the past two years has brought the board to where it is. He has made poor decisions relative to the program. Last years team was fun to watch and Oscar is a joy to see wearing UK blue. I wish the board wasn't so negative but speaking the truth is not wrong, some go a bit overboard but that door swings both ways. Cal is not likely to change anything he does(even those things we would all like to see change.) I don't think Cal can fix the program with the model and mindset he has now.

I've been a UK fan way too long to be anything else. The coming year looks good if we can avoid injuries and catch a few good breaks along the way.
I beg to differ. Cal started a game we never got to finish. Let’s end it.

Reactions: docholiday51
The OP makes a lot of valid points and I have to say its nice to see a well thought out post to start a thread.

The one thing UK basketball has guaranteed is the most numerous and passionate fans in college basketball. I just don’t think there’s any debate about that myself.

The way I see it, we’ve used that to our advantage in years past. Look at the SEC tournaments, you can’t tell me that’s not an advantage. Come on now.

And that’s why I do throw out the Covid year myself. Those players didn’t get to experience what UK basketball is really like and neither did the fans.

The ending to last year’s season was unacceptable. It doesn’t have to do just with St Peters, I’m talking about look at how we were playing ball at the end of the season. Most years I do like us come tourney time and Calipari still has a phenomenal tournament win percentage.

I give him those chances because of that. Now at the same time, we better not repeat that type of ending. We have to be playing our best ball at the end of the year. The off-season news has been bad for the most part as well so we better get back on the train.

Most are trolls who are fans of other programs. Ask yourself if you recall any of the loudest of the loud-mouthed negative posters and Cal-bashers being around even as recently as January or so when the Cats were hot beating Tennessee, UNC and Kansas. They were nowhere to be found. The sad cases are the gullible and impressionable Kentucky fans who are allowing themselves to be led by the fakes.
We were here. This trope is cliche and not based in reality.

That's weak just wanting people who agree with you.I've only ignored one person because they only wanted to talk politics on a sports board.
Or, perhaps he should just do what he enjoys most.
The constant whining, complaining, and moaning gets old for those of us who don’t enjoy it. I don’t blame anyone for avoiding it.

Reactions: KFuqua
There are plenty of obvious reasons to be concerned and dissatisfied. But the endless "if you don't think we're going to suck then you're a moron who licks Cal's balls" and the constant interjections of overused lines to derail any and every thread are beyond obnoxious. As are the (I have to think trolls) pollyannas who keep cheerleading for how awesome everything is and there's nothing to worry about. And then the 75 comment back and forth between two of them that after 5 comments has nothing to do with UK sports and is just two idiots insulting each other.

Yeah, in the past I've ignored people sparingly, there were always obvious trolls around. But I've hit ignore more times in the past couple months than I had in total before.

Thank you, well prepared post and I believe many fans agree with you. Complainers are going to complain: OAD players was the problem, fans don't get to know the players, they leave for the NBA, not a good big man, too soft power forward, power forward can shot etc., over and over. This year, returning POY, starting point guard, Toppin returning, these 3 are upper classmen along with Fredrick and Ware. Reeves, a grad transfer makes 6 with great experience to go along with a talented Collins and 3 quality freshmen additions. Worry not the complainer will just change course and stay true to their agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT