ADVERTISEMENT

Keon Brooks

What was TJ’s reasoning for picking Kentucky for Brooks? I saw where he said he would discuss why on his show but I never listened.

He was conversing with someone close to the UK staff after the UT game, they said they are going to "seal the deal" with a recruit this weekend (meaning Sunday...yesterday.)

Todd is not coming if Monty and Richards are here. Too much competition for the 5 spot.

Todd is a 4 anyway, isn't he? The only center we have is Richards.

Brooks is a 3/4. We have to add Todd and get Ej/Nick back, plus add someone else...either a grad transfer, foreign player or another reclassify...otherwise we are gonna be running some small lineups, bulk wise.

I still think Herro and/or Hagans will be back next year.

Last edited:

Brooks is a 3/4. We have to add Todd and get Ej/Nick back, plus add someone else...either a grad transfer, foreign player or another reclassify...otherwise we are gonna be running some small lineups, bulk wise.

Not enough really physical college players at contenders next year, the game is getting more fineese

If UK lands Keion Brooks to go Kahlil Whitney, I might have to break out my MC Hammer pants and do a dance.

giphy.gif

Reactions: kywildcat41086
He said he talked to someone close to the staff that told him Cal was going to be locking up a recruit this weekend and sure enough Brooks announced his decision date before the weekend was up.
The timing of what he was told followed by the date set does seem very interesting. Also a guy on HOB had another tidbit that seems to heavily favor UK. I don’t want to give info that isn’t mine but suffice it to say, it made me go from feeling about 50/50 on Brooks to about 90/10.

When has TJ been right with info others haven’t had...
Plenty of times, but no need to list them because that would be a nerdy thing to do.

I had a rough 2018 recruiting cycle and I was off with the bigs in 2019. That's not good, but you know who also had a rough 2018/2019 (with bigs)? UK. They were wrong about their position with several players and that's recruiting. It's taking teenagers at their word, which leads to people getting burnt (look at football recruiting).

I'm proud of the work I did at CI for seven years and the short time I was at KSR. I didn't get everything right, but I felt like I provided solid content and had a good time doing it.

Maybe Brooks comes to UK, maybe he doesn't. But I did find it interesting that I was told UK was going to lock things up with a recruit and the next thing we hear is Brooks set a decision date.

Go Cats.

Plenty of times, but no need to list them because that would be a nerdy thing to do.

I had a rough 2018 recruiting cycle and I was off with the bigs in 2019. That's not good, but you know who also had a rough 2018/2019 (with bigs)? UK. They were wrong about their position with several players and that's recruiting. It's taking teenagers at their word, which leads to people getting burnt (look at football recruiting).

I'm proud of the work I did at CI for seven years and the short time I was at KSR. I didn't get everything right, but I felt like I provided solid content and had a good time doing it.

Maybe Brooks comes to UK, maybe he doesn't. But I did find it interesting that I was told UK was going to lock things up with a recruit and the next thing we hear is Brooks set a decision date.

Go Cats.
Hey TJ, its all good brother, you did provide good information, lots of variables in recruiting, all of these kids have so many people around them and lots of time pulling them in different directions , and for sure all of them want to be "the source or in the know so I am sure around any of the top kids there 's a ton of information from lots of "sources"

Need Brooks Todd and at least 1 more big. Don't count on either EJ or Richards or both coming back. If Vanderbilt can be drafted EJ certainly can. I don't think Richards can even make a G league team for any long period of time but he or Cal may figure the switch is never gonna flip and he ends up somewhere other than UK. Someone will rise up this summer that we've probably never heard of.
Montgomery/Richards going pro is LAUGHABLE anywhere but UK. These fringe NBA'rs leaving hurt as much or more than missing out on a top prospect. Either keep em or sign em but don't screw up both.

Go Cats.

Good on you to come here and give your take on this. Most people on here should realize how fluid recruiting is how things change at a moment's notice. I appreciate your insight and info.

Go Cats.

Great response. Keep working hard.

Reactions: tj_walker
The tweet could mean anything. Could be selfish in picking the school HE wants to attend, going against his parents wishes, or it could mean he is being selfish and doing what is best for his future and picking a out of state school known for producing pro's like say, UK.

When have we not had a PF as our center? Monty is a PF. Reid is a PF.

Go Cats.
Sounds good to me.

Random thought, but between Whitney/Brooks, who is more likely to play minutes at SG and be effective? Seems like they can both shoot well but Brooks is a better ball-handler.

Go Cats.
TJ,

The one thing I’m glad you provided was summer recruiting content as far as being at AAU events and telling us who (college coaches) was there and how the recruits were playing as well as McDonald’s practices. Other than that, I had to get rid of my subscription after hearing how UK was going to get RJ Barrett (and the significance of the UK visit being first because “he knows where he wants to go”) when in reality UK was probably playing third the entire time behind Duke and Oregon. The basketball recruiting content wasn’t even close to being on the same level to the stuff JRow was doing for football.

I know at KSR you said at one point that UK led for Vernon Carey, and they didn’t even make the top 3, UK was going to get Oscar (didn’t happen either). I know recruiting changes but it doesn’t go from one end of the spectrum to another like that always.

I know those were just a few examples of things more recent but I truly cant remember you breaking a story before anyone (Evan Daniels, Eric Bossi, Chris Fisher, Slater, etc) else and if I’m wrong I’ll gladly admit it but somehow you were the only one who had some kind of “new” information each Monday to share when nobody else did yet everyone else was breaking the stories and especially with a staff that most say doesn’t talk.

David Sisk does a great job of providing the numbers and signs to the equation instead of simply trying to solve it all the time. At some point thee information itself is whats needed instead of fantasy predictions. I think we could all bat about .500 when UK is offering maybe 12 scholarships per clas when they need to fill 4 or 5 slots every year!

Anyways, thanks for dropping in and chiming in TJ! I hope you are correct on the Brooks thing though as he looks like a very versatile player and UK needs bodies over 6’6 for next season. Hope you and your wife are enjoying the married life and hope Abe is doing well too!

Go Cats.

TJ, I admittedly joke sometimes about your misses, but you're a really good guy and fun to listen to.

TJ,

The one thing I’m glad you provided was summer recruiting content as far as being at AAU events and telling us who (college coaches) was there and how the recruits were playing as well as McDonald’s practices. Other than that, I had to get rid of my subscription after hearing how UK was going to get RJ Barrett (and the significance of the UK visit being first because “he knows where he wants to go”) when in reality UK was probably playing third the entire time behind Duke and Oregon. The basketball recruiting content wasn’t even close to being on the same level to the stuff JRow was doing for football.

I know at KSR you said at one point that UK led for Vernon Carey, and they didn’t even make the top 3, UK was going to get Oscar (didn’t happen either). I know recruiting changes but it doesn’t go from one end of the spectrum to another like that always.

I know those were just a few examples of things more recent but I truly cant remember you breaking a story before anyone (Evan Daniels, Eric Bossi, Chris Fisher, Slater, etc) else and if I’m wrong I’ll gladly admit it but somehow you were the only one who had some kind of “new” information each Monday to share when nobody else did yet everyone else was breaking the stories and especially with a staff that most say doesn’t talk.

David Sisk does a great job of providing the numbers and signs to the equation instead of simply trying to solve it all the time. At some point thee information itself is whats needed instead of fantasy predictions. I think we could all bat about .500 when UK is offering maybe 12 scholarships per clas when they need to fill 4 or 5 slots every year!

Anyways, thanks for dropping in and chiming in TJ! I hope you are correct on the Brooks thing though as he looks like a very versatile player and UK needs bodies over 6’6 for next season. Hope you and your wife are enjoying the married life and hope Abe is doing well too!

Recruiting does change frequently. I honestly think the majority of the time a kid is 75 percent sure he knows where he wants to go, but will release different intel to different people (and sometimes that info gets skewed/changed like a bad game of telephone) to drum up drama. It happens and it's tough to figure out what is true and what is smoke. Others can decipher that stuff better than I can.

What I would try to do is tell my confidence level and at least put things in perspective in terms of a timeline. If I'm hearing that UK loves their position with a kid in July but he may not commit until November, I think both should be mentioned/reported. Heck, it's always smart to never get overly excited about uncommitted in the summer because there is so much time to go. I would try to reiterate that, but still report the latest rumblings because I had a job to do. When I thought in the summer that UK was the team to beat for Carey it was because UK thought they had positioned themselves going into the visits to be the team to beat. That turned out to be false, and thus I looked silly. It happens.

I actually think I was one of the first to cool on Oscar Tshiebwe and I believe (I could be wrong) I was first to say "Hey, his host parents are really, really against the idea of playing anywhere besides WVU". That recruitment was difficult (as most are) because I do believe Oscar liked UK, but everything behind the scenes was a mess. Again, (in hindsight) I think he probably knew he was going to WVU but he liked entertaining the idea of doing something different, so I obviously had to report/talk about those pro-UK moments and how UK's staff was feeling.

I disagree about the breaking news bit of your post, but that's a pissing contest I don't want to get into to. Daniels, Bossi, Evans, Sisk and Fisher all do really great work in a tough job that is getting tougher. Rowland does an amazing job with football, but football and UK basketball are different animals. The guys that we were interviewing had been doing interviews for years. Some football targets have maybe done one or two and even reach out to reporters to get their names out there. Still, Rowland is so connected to the football program his insight is second to none.

But CI is lucky to have Sisk. This isn't a shot at Sisk, but it's not like he's breaking big time recruiting news left and right because there's just not a lot there. So, while he provides meaningful basketball recruiting commentary and updates I think his UK team breakdowns after games is an amazing content item that is insightful, unique and clearly shows how much he knows about the game.

I also hope my guess about Brooks is correct. He'd be a fun player in Cal's system and I'm anxious (if he picks UK) to see how Cal will use him. Put on weight? Slim and make him more of a wing/guard? It should be fun. Always nice to stick it to IU, too.

Recruiting does change frequently. I honestly think the majority of the time a kid is 75 percent sure he knows where he wants to go, but will release different intel to different people (and sometimes that info gets skewed/changed like a bad game of telephone) to drum up drama. It happens and it's tough to figure out what is true and what is smoke. Others can decipher that stuff better than I can.

What I would try to do is tell my confidence level and at least put things in perspective in terms of a timeline. If I'm hearing that UK loves their position with a kid in July but he may not commit until November, I think both should be mentioned/reported. Heck, it's always smart to never get overly excited about uncommitted in the summer because there is so much time to go. I would try to reiterate that, but still report the latest rumblings because I had a job to do. When I thought in the summer that UK was the team to beat for Carey it was because UK thought they had positioned themselves going into the visits to be the team to beat. That turned out to be false, and thus I looked silly. It happens.

I actually think I was one of the first to cool on Oscar Tshiebwe and I believe (I could be wrong) I was first to say "Hey, his host parents are really, really against the idea of playing anywhere besides WVU". That recruitment was difficult (as most are) because I do believe Oscar liked UK, but everything behind the scenes was a mess. Again, (in hindsight) I think he probably knew he was going to WVU but he liked entertaining the idea of doing something different, so I obviously had to report/talk about those pro-UK moments and how UK's staff was feeling.

I disagree about the breaking news bit of your post, but that's a pissing contest I don't want to get into to. Daniels, Bossi, Evans, Sisk and Fisher all do really great work in a tough job that is getting tougher. Rowland does an amazing job with football, but football and UK basketball are different animals. The guys that we were interviewing had been doing interviews for years. Some football targets have maybe done one or two and even reach out to reporters to get their names out there. Still, Rowland is so connected to the football program his insight is second to none.

But CI is lucky to have Sisk. This isn't a shot at Sisk, but it's not like he's breaking big time recruiting news left and right because there's just not a lot there. So, while he provides meaningful basketball recruiting commentary and updates I think his UK team breakdowns after games is an amazing content item that is insightful, unique and clearly shows how much he knows about the game.

I also hope my guess about Brooks is correct. He'd be a fun player in Cal's system and I'm anxious (if he picks UK) to see how Cal will use him. Put on weight? Slim and make him more of a wing/guard? It should be fun. Always nice to stick it to IU, too.
Thanks for your rationale TJ! Never questioned your effort and you’re spot on about Sisk although I don’t think he has been here long enough to break things as of yet. I just think he provides strong information. No doubt though his post game break downs are phenomenal.

Reactions: tj_walker

Go Cats.

When you talk bad about a teacher but she was in the doorway the whole time..

It seems like people misunderstand the way recruiting coverage goes (or maybe I do!). Rarely - as in maybe never - will a kid tell someone months in advance "hey, I'm going to X school", so that guy gets to break hard, precise news. Seems to me all these guys can do is read tea leaves. Collect facts and observations, add them together, try to make an educated guess, and file stories based upon that.

The very nature of that surely implies they will be wrong often. Even if they are right when they report it, there is always a chance a kid changes his mind along the way, even at the last minute. I have an 18 year old kid, I know how easily they can change even a very firm/heartfelt/passionately held viewpoint. And that's just the kid, in this context you have multiple adults tugging at the kid trying to change his mind.

So, based on all that, why should anyone pay attention to recruiting coverage? Beats me, that's why I don't. Clearly there is a market for it, people are starved for any real morsels of information they can get. But again, all these guys can do is make educated guesses - so I don't understand why anyone would be upset when a guess proves wrong. It's a guess.......

Reactions: medred
Random thought, but between Whitney/Brooks, who is more likely to play minutes at SG and be effective? Seems like they can both shoot well but Brooks is a better ball-handler.
My working assumption is if we close the class the way we hope to close it, Whitney is the primary shooting guard. He hit 37% from 3PT on about 5.5 attempts per game in the EYBL. Pretty good.

Plenty of people here think we will have a sophomore SG though.

My working assumption is if we close the class the way we hope to close it, Whitney is the primary shooting guard. He hit 37% from 3PT on about 5.5 attempts per game in the EYBL. Pretty good.

Plenty of people here think we will have a sophomore SG though.

I'm 100% prepared for Whitney to go through a horrific shooting slump while at Kentucky. Booker, KJ, Herro, Monk.. you name it.

It has become so difficult for me to trust athletic shooters in the Cal era.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I'm 100% prepared for Whitney to go through a horrific shooting slump while at Kentucky. Booker, KJ, Herro, Monk.. you name it.

It has become so difficult for me to trust athletic shooters in the Cal era.
I don’t even care as long as he can do pretty much everything else well. Three point shooting is my lowest priority when evaluating a player.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
The timing of what he was told followed by the date set does seem very interesting. Also a guy on HOB had another tidbit that seems to heavily favor UK. I don’t want to give info that isn’t mine but suffice it to say, it made me go from feeling about 50/50 on Brooks to about 90/10.
Cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT