ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v Auburn (Tournament Edition)

Interesting decision here by Auburn to go with Skipper to start this game. Skipper pitched against UK in game 3 of the series this past weekend and went just 0.2 innings and gave up 3 earned runs on 1 hit with 2 walks and a strikeout.

So, UK got to him. Only got one hit, but they still took advantage of him and got the lead in that last game against him.

I am listening at work, I'll try to give updates, but I can't guarantee how often nor how accurate. haha

Thrasher pops up to second for the first out.

Jump off the wall with a 1 out double.

* Mingione still coaching third. *

Harris strikes out for the second out of the inning.

Estep hitting in the four hole draws a 5 pitch walk.

Ritter sounds like he's probably doing his big swing here and falls behind 0-2 early. Passed ball makes it 1-2 and everyone advances on the wild pitch. That was a close play and Auburn will challenge it. He is in safely after a quick and efficient replay. Ritter strikes out to end the UK top of the 1st.

Anyone know if Burkes is starting because he's played well, or if Rubalcaba is injured?

Harney gets a called K to start this one.

Can of corn to Jump for the second out.

Full count drawn on a pitch that UK thought was a strike. Pierce battling here pretty well. Swinging strikeout.

0-0 going to the second

Anu strikes out.

Fogel looks at strike 3. That is 4 strikeouts for Auburn's pitcher making his first start.

Burkes also strikes out to end the UK 2nd.

AU’s pitcher big curveball has us really off balance. As someone said some really bad swings.

Thrasher diving catch in left center to take away a leadoff hit.

Big battle and a pretty well hit ball into right, but Fogel brings it in.

Another hanging pitch and it is hit hard, but Ritter brings it in and a high throw is lassoed by Plastiak to end the 2nd.

0-0 going to 3

Feels like UK was probably very lucky to get out of that inning without giving up at least a hit, if not a run.

Plastiak strikes out. 5 in a row for UK.

Thrasher also strikes out. 6 in a row.

Jump breaks the streak with a ground out to second to end the UK 3rd.

Still scoreless.

Headrick says that this game is more important to UK than to Auburn. Can't agree with him there. While UK is fighting for some tournament life, Auburn is on the cusp of hosting both a regional and a super regional. Win a few games in this tournament and they can stay at home all the way to the CWS. That is huge and a whole lot to play for.

Fly out to left for the first out of the inning.

Plastiak hauls in a foul ball on his side of the infield for the first out of the Auburn third.

Auburn gets their first hit of the SEC tournament out of the 9 hole hitter as he pokes one up the middle.

We go to the top of the lineup with Rambusch. The top of this Auburn lineup is where it is dangerous. Infield hit on an excuse me check swing that Harney came off the mound to get. Just couldn't get the ball to Plastiak in time to beat the relatively speedy Rambusch.

Dan Roszel out to talk to Harney for a second. SEC Co-Player of the Year coming to bat here, so Roszel just discussing things with Harney. No one warming.

Harney really trying to work the corners here on DiChiara and he gets him swinging.

Interesting move here by Auburn as they take down Skipper and go to their bullpen. Not sure why they are taking out a guy that was dealing, but they will go to Trace Bright.

Bright went 5 innings against UK giving up 2 earned runs on 5 hits with 5 strikeouts. He was the starter in the lone win for Auburn this season.

Harris hits one into right field and the right fielder is playing shallow and he fields the ball and throws out Harris at first base. WOW. UK going to challenge, but Headrick is sure he is out.

That is some video game stuff right there. Getting thrown out at first base on a sharp line drive to right field.

Call stands. Pretty interesting that the umpires here are mic'ed up and announce review results to the whole park.

Interesting move here by Auburn as they take down Skipper and go to their bullpen. Not sure why they are taking out a guy that was dealing, but they will go to Trace Bright.

Bright went 5 innings against UK giving up 2 earned runs on 5 hits with 5 strikeouts. He was the starter in the lone win for Auburn this season.

Harris hits one into right field and the right fielder is playing shallow and he fields the ball and throws out Harris at first base. WOW. UK going to challenge, but Headrick is sure he is out.
Bummer.

That is some video game stuff right there. Getting thrown out at first base on a sharp line drive to right field.

Call stands. Pretty interesting that the umpires here are mic'ed up and announce review results to the whole park.
Why do guys slide into first base on a play like that????

Why do guys slide into first base on a play like that????

I think they believe that it is faster, or they just feel like it is faster even though is isn't. Kind of hard wired into us for some reason.

Estep walks once again.

Wild pitch advances Estep to second. This pitching change might haunt Auburn as Bright is struggling here in the 4th.

Ritter lines one into left and UK takes the lead on an RBI single.

1-0 UK

Reactions: dtjr and jauk11
Anu grounds to third and they go for a fielder's choice to get Ritter. They can't turn the double play though.

Line out to short stop by Fogel to end the UK 4th, but UK leads 1-0.

Runner on base but a sharp line drive to short ends UK's at bat, but we are up 1-0.

On a different note, I enjoy and Chris Burke and when the big games roll around Ben McDonald doing color commentary.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Leadoff double for Auburn. I think that was first pitch.

Auburn has hit the ball very well this season, but they don't have a huge amount of power and they seem to struggle to string together hits. Let's see how that plays out this afternoon after this leadoff double.

Harney approaching 50 pitches here in the 4th.

3 ball count to the next batter. Harney gets a warning on pitch timer. Fastball down the middle as the hitter is taking all the way. Next pitch is low and away to put them on 1st and 2nd with 0 outs.

Moore up now. Headrick and UK think he'll be bunting. He is squaring. This will be just his 2nd SH of the season. Harney almost got the pickoff at second, but Ritter drops the ball on the tag. Moore no longer squaring as he swings away and fouls one off. They put the bunt down and Plastiak does what he's done numerous times this season and he goes to third and they call the runner out. Auburn asks for a review.

Ohh Headrick saying that the replay, 'doesn't look kind for UK right now.'

They confirm the call as out. Wow. Pretty wild that Headrick thinks he's probably safe and the replay officials don't see what he saw. Big out there. If I am opposing teams, they have to realize that bunting to the first base side against UK is dangerous.

Fly out to Thrasher for the second out.

Strikeouts by Harney ends the inning.

1-0 going to the 5th. Plastiak play looks huge.

Reactions: dtjr
Ohh Headrick saying that the replay, 'doesn't look kind for UK right now.'

They confirm the call as out. Wow. Pretty wild that Headrick thinks he's probably safe and the replay officials don't see what he saw. Big out there. If I am opposing teams, they have to realize that bunting to the first base side against UK is dangerous.
He was out at 3B. I am watching the feed.

Burkes is hit by a pitch.

Plastiak goes down swinging.

Thrasher may not be seeing this pitcher too well right now as he watches one go right down the middle and then swings at a very bad breaking pitch. He then grounds into a 5-4-3 double play to end the UK 5th.

UK leads 1-0

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT