ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Guards - On-Ball Defense

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
Everyone here seems to agree that our guards, in particular, definitely need to improve their on-ball defense on dribble penetration and to pressure outside shooting. Certainly "want to" and technique are required, but innate skill is also, it seems to me. We've had many excellent guards here over the years, of course, but I'm not sure we've had that many truly gifted on-ball defenders.

Dwight Anderson
Dirk Minniefield
Anthony Epps
Dale Brown
Gerald Fitch
Cliff Hawkins
Andre Liggins
Tyler Ulis
... these quickly come to mind as guards who were consistently-good defensive players

I thought about Rajan Rondo, Ramel Bradley and Ashton Hagans, but I'm not sure they were consistent and dependable night-in, night-out. Hagans liked to gamble a little too much at times, too.

Who comes to your mind as the type of defenders we need Wagner, Reeves, Sheppard and Dillingham to play more like ?? If these four (4) can really improve on defense, we can be more certain of a deep run, in my opinion. We will not always shoot well, especially against the tougher teams. We all know this ...

Last edited:
Everyone here seems to agree that our guards, in particular, definitely need to improve their on-ball defense on dribble penetration and to pressure outside shooting. Certainly "want to" and technique are required, but innate skill is also, it seems to me. We've had many excellent guards here over the years, of course, but I'm not sure we've had that many truly gifted on-ball defenders.

Dwight Anderson
Dirk Minniefield
Anthony Epps
Dale Brown
Gerald Fitch
Cliff Hawkins
Andre Liggins
Tyler Ulis
... these quickly come to mind as guards who were consistently-good defensive players

I thought about Ramel Bradley and Ashton Hagans, but am not sure they were consistent and dependable night-in, night-out.

Who comes to your mind as the type of defenders we need Wagner, Reeves, Sheppard and Dillingham to play more like ?? If these four (4) can really improve on defense, we can be more certain of a deep run, in my opinion. We will not always shoot well.
Dale getting hurt in 93 was a huge loss. Easily the best defender on that team.

Stupid table.

None of the guards are good defensively and that is a fact! The one who usually gets pointed out the most has the most steals, the most blocks among the guards and the most deflections! It is mostly about perspiration and determination, no reason for them not to improve. Well, maybe one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT