ADVERTISEMENT

Dalton Knecht - who guards him?

Think you have to start with Adou, and then maybe Sheppard. Definite size advantage for Knecht there but Sheppard could pester the hell out of him. Same with Wagner probably.

To me it’s not so much about who guards him. It’s whether whoever guards him actually sticks to him instead of helping the bigs when Zeigler or whoever drives. Knecht is gonna have a harder time beating us if they can’t kick to him for wide open 3’s. We’ve got our 7-footers back. Let them do their job and quit coming over to help and leaving shooters wide open!

Thiero would be the first one I would try. Bradshaw isn't disciplined enough keep up with him, Z may not be fast enough(lateral quickness) Give Burks a shot at him.

Honestly he will probably get 25+, but the UT guards will give us fits because we won't be able to stay in front of them.

UF has a couple of guys that are Knecht lite so we can get in some practice guarding him.

Thiero guards him. Knecht is still going to get his 20 points but we need to make sure he doesn't get 30 or 40. He's led UT in scoring in 12 out of 19 games. His points in the last 5 SEC games - 28, 36, 39, 25 and 32. Make everything tough on him, keep their average players average and UK gets the W

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
Thiero would be the first one I would try. Bradshaw isn't disciplined enough keep up with him, Z may not be fast enough(lateral quickness) Give Burks a shot at him.

Honestly he will probably get 25+, but the UT guards will give us fits because we won't be able to stay in front of them.

UF has a couple of guys that are Knecht lite so we can get in some practice guarding him.
I like the idea of Burks. So what if he fouls out. Stick him on him and say do not leave him.

Reactions: drawing_dead
I like the idea of Burks. So what if he fouls out. Stick him on him and say do not leave him.

I actually like this idea as well, hadn't thought of it.

If it goes both ways, that would also mean Knecht would have to run around chasing Burks and keeping him off the glass as well. I like that idea a lot. Just toss him out there for a few minutes, see what happens.

John Wooden used to have a thing where in the first 10 minutes of the game, he would play his ENTIRE team pretty much. He would say, "You never know who is going to have 'it' on any given night".

So he would toss everyone out there the first 10 minutes for a few possessions and see who brought it, and see who didn't.

Toss Burks out there for a few possessions, see what he has that day.

Love Burks but don't want him playing major minutes against a tough opponent with the game still on the line. Just don't think he's close to ready.
Point well taken but it might be worth a look at some point in the game. It is way too off the wall for Cal to even consider anyway

Reactions: FltDoc
You run Edwards and Burke to beat him down then second half it’s Adou that shuts him down. He is to good for our Bigs, maybe try Reeves some.

Is this going to be a game where Adou plays a lot, with main duty being defense? How do we slow him down? Dude is good and seems to be on fire. Do we need to show him up, or give him his and try to shut down his team mates?
The ole' "box and 1"...

Oh, wait, we don't do those things...

I actually like this idea as well, hadn't thought of it.

If it goes both ways, that would also mean Knecht would have to run around chasing Burks and keeping him off the glass as well. I like that idea a lot. Just toss him out there for a few minutes, see what happens.

John Wooden used to have a thing where in the first 10 minutes of the game, he would play his ENTIRE team pretty much. He would say, "You never know who is going to have 'it' on any given night".

So he would toss everyone out there the first 10 minutes for a few possessions and see who brought it, and see who didn't.

Toss Burks out there for a few possessions, see what he has that day.
Since we don't have any real, traditional "lock down" defenders (Thiero prolly is the closest), maybe it's Burks....??

Would have to be whatever he's shown in practice, but we'd lose a ton on offense -- he's just not polished at this point.

Saw a stat today on Funchester where Reeves is actually outperforming Knecht in most categories offensively.

If we let one player go off and we contain the rest, while having some semblance of our potent offense back on track, I love our changes Tuesday.

(However, we still have UF in 2 days....)

That was my thought process as well. Bradshaw would probably foul out in less than 5 trips down the floor.
He probably would if Knecht battled him down low but think he prefers to hang around the perimeter and shoot 3s. If he sticks to that, Bradshaw could hopefully get in his face and contest without fouling.

I still think Dilly could shadow him fairly nicely. Maybe a little undersized to do it, but he can sure make it difficult for him to even get the ball.

But putting Adou on him in the same manner would work. Honestly that's what the message should be "Make the rest of these bums score on us, lock Dalton down".

"Tighten" the rims, wax the floor, stink bombs and mold in the locker rooms, send UK fans to the hotel and make noise all night, traffic jam to delay the bus getting to Rupp for hours... Did I miss anything?

Do we go full Duke and trip and foul EVERY possession?

Reactions: drawing_dead
He probably would if Knecht battled him down low but think he prefers to hang around the perimeter and shoot 3s. If he sticks to that, Bradshaw could hopefully get in his face and contest without fouling.
Maybe but I wouldn't want to bet on it

Whoever it is, they absolutely cannot help off of him. Stay on him, deny him the ball. Make him have to move all day to try to get the ball.
That's the problem with our defense. We switch too much and coaches and teams know this, so they'll just screen until they get the matchup they know they'll get, and voila, Knecht thing you know, he's scoring.

That's the problem with our defense. We switch too much and coaches and teams know this, so they'll just screen until they get the matchup they know they'll get, and voila, Knecht thing you know, he's scoring.
We have a winner!!!!

Whoever it is, they absolutely cannot help off of him. Stay on him, deny him the ball. Make him have to move all day to try to get the ball.
Nothing more frustrating as a scorer than having someone follow you around the court no matter where you're standing.... He'll want to get his, and get very frustrated.

Turn it into a 4 on 4 game.

Saw a stat today on Funchester where Reeves is actually outperforming Knecht in most categories offensively.

If we let one player go off and we contain the rest, while having some semblance of our potent offense back on track, I love our changes Tuesday.

(However, we still have UF in 2 days....)
Yeah, they need to worry about Reeves.

Call in these guys

v12o7P.gif

Reactions: CapnBlubs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT