ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky compliance...recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bagley's family is living in Durham now, this was a done deal long ago and it didnt have anything to do with Mitch Barnhart or Sandy Bell.

Reactions: Elliott Tim
It's time for a discussion about this. Cal has one hand tied behind his back, while Arizona, Duke, and whoever the hell else (north carolina?) Runs around winning at all cost.

Believe it or not, our compliance is a big problem. They've never trusted Cal, they didn't want Cal. It's just a fact. I fully believe they are our problem.

Let Cal loose, or find another program to hoodwink. Kentucky is a beast, let it go.

I'll say it again, and I've met the people. Mitch, Bell, and the rest are insufferable.

Unless you believe Cal decided against going after these guys all on his own? He barely sniffed Bagley.

Anyone?
I agree with you 90% of the time, but I can't go with you here.

Look, fair or not, Cal has to play by different rules. There's no legitimate debate on that.
His reputation, not that I agree, is that he's a dirty recruitor. If the NCAA, media, and sports talk people, are going to watch and react negatively to every thing Cal does that might seem shady, well, UK has to be as clean as a virgins honeypot. It's not fair, but, life sure as he'll isn't fair.

It's time for a discussion about this. Cal has one hand tied behind his back, while Arizona, Duke, and whoever the hell else (north carolina?) Runs around winning at all cost.

Believe it or not, our compliance is a big problem. They've never trusted Cal, they didn't want Cal. It's just a fact. I fully believe they are our problem.

Let Cal loose, or find another program to hoodwink. Kentucky is a beast, let it go.

I'll say it again, and I've met the people. Mitch, Bell, and the rest are insufferable.

Unless you believe Cal decided against going after these guys all on his own? He barely sniffed Bagley.

Anyone?

Some will never understand that some kids grow up not being UK fans. It just happens.

Reactions: Elliott Tim
I agree with you 90% of the time, but I can't go with you here.

Look, fair or not, Cal has to play by different rules. There's no legitimate debate on that.
His reputation, not that I agree, is that he's a dirty recruitor. If the NCAA, media, and sports talk people, are going to watch and react negatively to every thing Cal does that might seem shady, well, UK has to be as clean as a virgins honeypot. It's not fair, but, life sure as he'll isn't fair.

Only those who have an agenda believe that he's a dirty recruiter since he's been here. Totally agenda and hate.

Anyone?
You are kidding I hope.

And most of us who suffered through Emery-gate and Eric Manual, will say we are happy we have Sandy Bell and the UK compliance Dept, double their salaries, it's worth it!
If we (one of our players) were caught on something, we would not get the same treatment that Duke and (maybe) UNC get. If the AFAM scandal had happened at UK, we would have already been given the death penalty. Had Lance Thomas been at UK in 2012 instead of Duke in 2010, we would have lost that championship and Cal would have that 3rd strike against him. We ALL know this.

Hell, what would happen if UK got caught provided Prostitutes for recruits?

This has to be one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen. Unless you're joking, you're saying we should cheat to win a national championship. If that's the way you feel there's a school down I-64 you need to go root for. Sounds like you'll fit right in there.

Hell, what would happen if UK got caught provided Prostitutes for recruits?

Rupp Arena would have been available for high school games for the whole season, because they would have disbanded our whole basketball program.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Also, the next class suddenly becomes huge for a number of reasons. If Duke lands Williamson or Barrett and Cal fails to land one of them, it further promotes a message that K fades into retirement with a slightly stronger recruiting hand against Cal in the head-to-head, as hard as that might be to believe (but not overall, mind you; just in the head-to-head). Cal has beaten K for…

Wall, Randle, Poythress, Noel, Knox, Murray and Green = 7 guys

K has beaten Cal for…

Irving, Parker, Ingram, Winslow, Tatum, Giles, Kennard, Bolden, Bagley = 9 guys

If K gets Barrett and Reddish, for example, in the next round and Cal strikes out on them (while Williamson goes to some place like Kansas), how would our fans feel in such a situation?

The good news is that K is going on 71 this February. Cal turns 59 in February.
UK is not going to miss on Reddish-Williamson- Barrett. They will get at least one. At least.

UK is not going to miss on Reddish-Williamson- Barrett. They will get at least one. At least.

Yeah we can't revert to the sky is falling because one top player wasn't interested in us. Like TJ said, he was never really interested.

Great post..Agree totally. OP is in his 20's I believe and this type of thinking would be a good indication. Not too good of a judge of character if you think Mitch and Sandy are insufferable. Good grief.

Those that think so highly of Sandy and Mitch either do not live in Lexington or do not have any close contacts with UKAA outside of being a groupie. Plenty of former coaches, lettermen, donors, vendors, sponsors, media and others have seen some of the egregious actions resulting from their self proclaimed royalty.

Good grief, Duke offered this kid a scholly during his 9th grade year so they have been on him for years. His dad said that Duke wasn't the school he would have selected but his son was the one who selected Duke. Pulling a kid out of North Carolina is almost impossible with all of the major colleges in that state. Duke needs this kid due to their glaring weakness in the middle. We did not with 4 or 5 power forwards already on the team.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
If you actually buy that Bagley wasn't interested in Kentucky, after having us at or near the top of his list for two years, you're naive.

The kid is an 18 year old who should be starting his junior year of high school right now, but instead he just enrolled to take college classes at a prestigious university in two weeks. There's one place that could happen.

USC is close to home and willing to take the gamble.

UCLA offers quarter class scheduling that would have made it more feasible.

But there's one place where Marvin Bagley could play college basketball in a month, and it just so happens they "guided" him through the reclassification process. Once he and his folks settled on the '17 class, he was never going to be allowed at Kentucky.

Just like Tre Duval begged for offers from major programs and only got one from Duke.

They're good enough as is, but factor in Capel's filth, the rules not applying to them, and K's sudden hunger for the One and Dones he said were ruining the sport, and that's a tough opponent to fight with one arm tied behind your back.

Problem is, there's nothing we can do. It isn't Sandy Bell's fault. She's doing what she has to, because if she gave these guys the greenlight, the NCAA wouldn't. We tried it with Kanter. So you either run the risk of a Rose retroactive vacation of the season or you land a recruit, he costs you another elite guy, and then he's ineligible and you get no one.

If you actually buy that Bagley wasn't interested in Kentucky, after having us at or near the top of his list for two years, you're naive.

The kid is an 18 year old who should be starting his junior year of high school right now, but instead he just enrolled to take college classes at a prestigious university in two weeks. There's one place that could happen.

But there's one place where Marvin Bagley could play college basketball in a month, and it just so happens they "guided" him through the reclassification process. Once he and his folks settled on the '17 class, he was never going to be allowed at Kentucky.

Just like Tre Duval begged for offers from major programs and only got one from Duke.

They're good enough as is, but factor in Capel's filth, the rules not applying to them, and K's sudden hunger for the One and Dones he said were ruining the sport, and that's a tough opponent to fight with one arm tied behind your back.

Problem is, there's nothing we can do. It isn't Sandy Bell's fault. She's doing what she has to, because if she gave these guys the greenlight, the NCAA wouldn't. We tried it with Kanter. So you either run the risk of a Rose retroactive vacation of the season or you land a recruit, he costs you another elite guy, and then he's ineligible and you get no one.

Completely agree.

I also disagree that Cal was outsmarted. My understanding is that Cal and staff were aware of the possible reclassification as early as march.

Kanter would have played if he went to Dook. Plus did Bagley ever visit UK as a junior? If not that's a telling sign.

Completely agree.

I also disagree that Cal was outsmarted. My understanding is that Cal and staff were aware of the possible reclassification as early as march.

They were. Around the same time the "he's staying out west" rumors started. We started to fade the second '17 became a possibility, and it wasn't because Cal hadn't heard of some kid named Marvin Bagley III or because Nick Richards is on the roster.

Not that we are lacking for talent because we have a bunch of great kids coming in but I would go get Mitchell Robinson TODAY! Wait I forgot, the NCAA has guidelines.....

Reactions: jrc333
They were. Around the same time the "he's staying out west" rumors started. We started to fade the second '17 became a possibility, and it wasn't because Cal hadn't heard of some kid named Marvin Bagley III or because Nick Richards is on the roster.
Agree, I also think Cal made it known to the family that Bamba was still going to be a priority.

Who was the "insider" who came on here during Bamba recruitment and said he was told Bamba cooled on UK because Bagley was reclassifying and UK was favorite to get him. That was either made up out of whole cloth or something happened or someone advised against UK/Cal otherwise re: bringing Bagley in for this season.

Reactions: shep21754

An 18 yr old kid should NOT be starting his JR yr of HS now. He should be starting his SR yr, or starting his FR yr in college!

I was 17 yr old my first 2 weeks of college, and did not skip a grade. The same will happen to my 2 boys in a few years. It annoys the piss out of me that grown 18-19 yr old men, playing sports against 15-16-17 yr old kids.

We might be playing on an uneven playing field, but that has more to do with NCAA bias than anything else. Just look at the Kanter situation. He'd have played every game had he signed with Duke. It's for this reason I'm not a big fan of cutting corners. You know the NCAA is ready to pounce at the first hint of impropriety. Anyone remember the 500 win cake for chrissakes?

I'm far from a Mitch fan, but I'll take what we have over the shame Jurich has brought to our little brother.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter who we bring in. I can guarantee you next March Duke will have a dream path to the Final Four and UK will have the path from hell.
This is about as spot on as it gets. Even in our 38-1 and AD tourney runs when we were the #1 overall seed still had the bracket loaded against us.

The OP's post and premise is utterly incomprehensible. Compliance and ethics come before anything else. The proposal sounds like something contrived by a demented grouping of UL fans and the filth from NC. If we buy a kid a dime store cupcake the NCAA would bury us under Rupp. Mitch, Sandy and Cal have done an amazing job of keeping us out of the same cesspool that is now the UL home court and soon to be for the NC scum.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I lived through the probation years at UK. I say leave it like it is and keep us on the good side. The players that Cal brings in are high character and make the grades. I am all in for Sandy Bell doing things the right way.

It's funny, I believe the football program is actually the one that needs to be "let loose" in regards to recruiting. I've long said that to compete in the SEC in football UK will need to bend, stomp, threaten and most likely break some rules.

However, I don't think we need or would want to do the same in basketball. Seems to me Cal is getting plenty of elite level players. But lately we always manage to be one player short of what we need. I still maintain that UK misses Orlando Antiqua far more than is commonly known. MJ even touched on it during his Tues. show. When Coach O wasn't brought back onto the UK staff, you could hear the entire college BB world breathe a sigh of relief.

Reactions: Blueaz
This is about as spot on as it gets. Even in our 38-1 and AD tourney runs when we were the #1 overall seed still had the bracket loaded against us.

It goes back farther than that. Don't forget in 03 when we were the overall #1 seed and had Wisconsin and Marquette in our bracket and had to play them in Minneapolis.

I'm good with it.

I'd rather play it safe. We've dodged a lot of bullets in Cal's tenure (Selby, Shabazz, Chane, Bragg, Muiday, Bamba???, etc.).

I know Duke has gotten a few of these reclassification kids lately, but it's not like we're recruiting at Tubby levels. I like the quality of most of kids Cal has been bringing in. No arrests. No suspensions for tripping other players. No hookers in the dorms (What kind of scum bag commuter college would do such a thing?). Generally likable guys who give back to their communities and leave the university in good academic standing. And we've won a bunch of games. I know the title-or-bust crew is getting antsy, but we've been in "the hunt" every year but 2013 and 2016 and were a top four seed every time but the amazing run of 2014. I can accept that after living through the great Final Four famine of 1999-2011.

Unfortunately, at Kentucky we've always got to play everything exactly by the book because our program is scrutinized more than any other in NCAA men's basketball. The NCAA want to catch us slipping so they can punish us for UNC's misdeeds. I'm OK with losing out on a few recruits if it means avoiding a major scandal or serious eligibility/amateurism issues.
This. I don't know how much of a say, if any at all, Mitch has with who we recruit. But asking UK to ditch Sandy Bell or ask her to do worse at her job is begging for an NCAA violation. We need Sandy at the top of her game 24/7.

Although most of us know neither case was his fault, Cal has been the head coach of two schools put on probabation. I'm willing to bet if those schools had an administration like ours, and Bell in tow, they wouldn't of had those violations (although they wouldn't have gotten Camby or Rose ethier).

If there is ANY question marks with a recruit Kentucky will get a full investigation. We will not get UNC or Duke treatment. I wish we could recruit and play these questionable guys but Cal is playing it safe, and he still has in the hunt every year with incredible teams (minus one with the Noel team) by playing it safe.

I lived through the probation years at UK. I say leave it like it is and keep us on the good side. The players that Cal brings in are high character and make the grades. I am all in for Sandy Bell doing things the right way.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Those that think otherwise must not suffered through Emery-gate, Eddie Sutton, Chris Mills, Eric Manual, Sean Kemp, 13-18, 14-14, probation days.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Who was the "insider" who came on here during Bamba recruitment and said he was told Bamba cooled on UK because Bagley was reclassifying and UK was favorite to get him. That was either made up out of whole cloth or something happened or someone advised against UK/Cal otherwise re: bringing Bagley in for this season.

Haha I remember that post

Anyone?
I don't agree. I prefer sttong compliance.

Coach Cal is on shape to have his best class possibly in history. One of Barrett/Reddish, Quickley, Shittu/Bol and Williamson. I think that is at minimimum. Would be 4 top 10 players. Has a real chance at all 3 of Zion, Barrett, and Reddish which would be the top 3 players in tha nation on the same team.

Worry all you wantz but, Cal has a plan and championships are coming real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT