ADVERTISEMENT

Can The Embarrassment Cease!!

The OP could NOT be more spot on with this post! Who is allowing all these rumors and lies to come out?

There’s 10-12 other coaches watching this situation, and now they are thinking, “He called and offered Scott Drew before me?!!” Screw them, I’m not publicly playing sloppy seconds to that guy!”

Professional sabotage📢

Reactions: LmdCat
I suspect this has been an eye opener for some.
Coaches don't have to crawl anymore.
Look at who he offered. Drew been there over 20 years. He's already settled. Rescued that program.

Hurley just went back to back. Dominant team.

He's hardly shook the bushes. He took the easy route imo.

Reactions: CGblue
Just hire Jeff Sheppard. He obviously knows how to coach as his kid is very fundamentally sound with a high BB IQ. You know he taught him everything growing up. Wifey can be his assistant.

Reactions: susan2361
I don't think it had anything to do with Lexington for Drew. He had kids in school, all his family has known is Waco, he's a valued member of the community, connected to them thru religion.

He put a price on that, and what UK offered wasn't enough to give it up.

But when UK calls you have to listen, you have to try to see if you can make it work. He went so far as to send his family there.

But its not like they didn't have everything they needed in Waco. And when it comes down to it, he knows he could lose in the first round of the NCAA, people would shrug their shoulders, pat him on the back and say "we'll get'em next year"

UK doesn't want that in a coach. Drew knows it.

What bothers me about the situation is he knew it before Mitch ever talked to him about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sambowieshin
There is no embarrassment.
Maybe not to you and Mitch, but it damn sure is embarrassing to publicly strike out like this. If Drew is really a friend, this shouldn't have been any more than a quick phone call without anyone other than them knowing about it. It made no sense to go public.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Who knows what's going to happen, but the Kentucky job hasn't changed. It's still the top job in college basketball. But the reality is the times have changed. Now coaches can get rich and comfortable in a lot more places. You don't have to sign up for the max stress and pressure of a job like UK anymore to get life changing money. Just look around the country at other top jobs that's come open in recent years, they didn't just insert big names either. Having said that I still think they wind up with a top-quality coach the fan base can get behind.

look, we all knew this was a possibility

Calipari is gone, we didn't pay him $33m.

Whoever we get is going to work his ass off to win games for the University, not put kids in the NBA or celebrate draft night or all that other garbage we had to eat because we had a hAlL oF fAmE cOaCh.

UK will figure it out. We'll get a guy that wants to be here and wants to do right for Kentucky

Reactions: CGblue
Once again Mitch reminds us of why he shouldn't be our AD. A program like Kentucky shouldn't be publicly going after coaches without some back-channel solid reason to believe those coaches will accept the position if offered. Not only is it embarrassing, but you also just notified whoever is selected now that he is our second, third, fourth, etc. choice. This is obviously not a good look. All but the fine print should have been agreed on out of the public's eye. Arkansas certainly handled their search better than us.
Go fight it out on the fb forum. Those guys don’t care and they are who have enabled this guys ego to swell like Cals. They act like he’s untouchable.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
It's not Mitch's fault that Drew's wife either didn't like Lexington or they as a family didn't want to move.

Regarding Hurley he offered him nearly $100M and he he said thanks but no thanks. What more can he do!!??

I'm not the biggest Barnhart fan around. This isn't Mitch's fault.
Nobody is but he wanted Drew and probably would have gotten him had he been a regular coach not in a place he built and made for his beliefs 100%. He still may have but his family wasn’t up for it, not Mitch’s fault. He offered Hurley a truckload of money and he said no. All we can ask for. Billy D is a great choice but we have to wait. What I don’t understand is why aren’t we talking to guys like Lloyd, McDermott, etc. guys in the top 15 year after year and relatively young.

Remember, "coaches win games; administrations win championships" LMAO
That is another Cal-ism that makes absolutely no sense. However, like tossing a stick in front of a dog, Cal knows there won't be any shortage of people who will give chase after his nonsense.

Who knows what's going to happen, but the Kentucky job hasn't changed. It's still the top job in college basketball. But the reality is the times have changed. Now coaches can get rich and comfortable in a lot more places. You don't have to sign up for the max stress and pressure of a job like UK anymore to get life changing money. Just look around the country at other top jobs that's come open in recent years, they didn't just insert big names either. Having said that I still think they wind up with a top-quality coach the fan base can get behind.
You are exactly right which is why a smart AD would spend his time going after qualified candidates who are excited about taking on a big challenge. There are plenty coaches out there willing to do it. They just need to be given the chance. He should be going after someone who is hungry and want to prove a point which is not what you are likely to get from someone who is already financially secure and comfortable. The following coaches are the ones most likely to take the job because they have something to prove:
  1. Bruce Pearl: He feels like he has never gotten the respect that he deserves and winning at UK would make it impossible to not see him as a winner.
  2. RP: He would love the chance to end his career where he really made a name for himself. This job would give him a chance to redeem himself and go out as a winner.
  3. Mark Pope: He has demonstrated that he can win at BYU and now feels like he is ready to make a name for himself. He is a product of UK and would love to return us to glory.
The aforementioned are simple examples of what Mitch should be considering in his coaching search.

Once again Mitch reminds us of why he shouldn't be our AD. A program like Kentucky shouldn't be publicly going after coaches without some back-channel solid reason to believe those coaches will accept the position if offered. Not only is it embarrassing, but you also just notified whoever is selected now that he is our second, third, fourth, etc. choice. This is obviously not a good look. All but the fine print should have been agreed on out of the public's eye. Arkansas certainly handled their search better than us.
Cal was arky’s 4th choice, correct?

Well, from what I’ve heard, Scott Drew did want the job, but ended up declining only because of his family not wanting to leave their home.

So sounds like Mitch did have that pre-knowledge at least with regard to Scott. Should’ve he have also known what his wife, kids and mother-in-law were thinking?

That hardly seems like a reasonable expectation.

Nothing to be embarrassed about as a Kentucky fan. We’ve not offered any dawgs. When a dawg gets an offer we will have our coach.

Maybe not to you and Mitch, but it damn sure is embarrassing to publicly strike out like this. If Drew is really a friend, this shouldn't have been any more than a quick phone call without anyone other than them knowing about it. It made no sense to go public.
I'm only embarrassed for you. No, actually I don't care.

Well, from what I’ve heard, Scott Drew did want the job, but ended up declining only because of his family not wanting to leave their home.

So sounds like Mitch did have that pre-knowledge at least with regard to Scott. Should’ve he have also known what his wife, kids and mother-in-law were thinking?

That hardly seems like a reasonable expectation.
If they were truly friends, he should have been able to do this with his friend in private.

If they were truly friends, he should have been able to do this with his friend in private.
He tried to do it in private. UK never issued any public statements about this while it was going on. Instead reporters with inside sources …and obsessed fans who did things like track Craft flights going back and forth between Waco and Lexington …figured out what was happening on their own.

Kal officially notified UK he was leaving about 52 hours ago. Get a clue.

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

Any search should be done privately and quietly.

Look at who he offered. Drew been there over 20 years. He's already settled. Rescued that program.

Hurley just went back to back. Dominant team.

He's hardly shook the bushes. He took the easy route imo.
I'm thinking of an old song: " You Better Shop Around".

The sweet and kindly Kentucky faithful would be screaming for his head if he doesn't offer everyone on their wishlist in a very public manner. They'll swear up and down Mitch skipped right over the best to get to the mediocre.
Not super unreasonable.
He is on forever probation for Billy Clyde and for having to be pressured to finally bring Cal in when the wheels came off.

It's not Mitch's fault that Drew's wife either didn't like Lexington or they as a family didn't want to move.

Regarding Hurley he offered him nearly $100M and he he said thanks but no thanks. What more can he do!!??

I'm not the biggest Barnhart fan around. This isn't Mitch's fault.
I agree, this with Hurley was not Mitch's fault but the mess as a whole is his own doing by not calling for any accountability in the last 7 years.
I believe Cal took the AD position away from him from the get go and put Mitch on "time-out"
It is his, the boards and Leo's mess to take care of!!

To answer your question, no. It just got infinitely worse. Un ****ing believable.

I don’t think any of this is embarrassing. It’s actually expected. The last time I can remember a highly successful big time coach changing jobs is Cal and then Roy Williams. Even Duke and Carolina couldn’t pull that off their last go rounds.

If Mitch hadn’t gone after the big game everyone would have been wanting to fire him for that. He went after them despite the odds. Fortune favors the bold. Sometimes it doesn’t work out.

We shouldn’t be expecting to buy our way back to success anyway.

Reactions: Pmalone6719
Actually ignorant frauds like you are the embarrassment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT