ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky basketball recruiting notebook: R.J. Barrett shakes things up, 5-stars cut lists

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
What do you guys think....do we have a chance for Barrett, Reddish and Grimes....or am I just dreaming....LOL :joy:

Kentucky basketball recruiting notebook: R.J. Barrett shakes things up, 5-stars cut lists

R.J. Barrett's reclassification could change the landscape of the 2018 class.

Joe Mussatto

It was a busy week on the Kentucky basketball recruiting trail, and no move was bigger than R.J. Barrett’s decision to reclassify and join the likes of Marvin Bagley, Zion Williamson and Bol Bol in the 2018 class.

Kentucky coach John Calipari has offered seven of the top-10 players in the class, including the four mentioned above.

Barrett was the No. 1 ranked prospect in the 2019 class, and he slides to the No. 3 spot in the 2018 group behind Bagley and Williamson and one spot ahead of Bol. He’s the second-ranked small forward in the class, according to 247Sports. The top-3 small forwards — Williamson, Barrett and Cameron Reddish — are considering Kentucky.

Barrett, who’s from Canada but preps at the Montverde (Fla.) Academy, announced his decision to reclassify in a blog he keeps for USA Today Sports. It was a move that had been speculated. Barrett mentioned Arizona, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Oregon, Texas and UCLA as the schools showing the most interest.

Duke, Kansas and Kentucky are the three favorites in that order, according to the 247 crystal ball.

SEC Country’s Kyle Tucker caught up with Barrett’s AAU coach, Dwayne Washington, to talk Kentucky’s chances to land Barrett.

“I know that they’re very interested,” Washington said. “I talk to Kentucky quite a bit about him. Some of the schools I don’t talk to as much, but I can definitely attest that they’ve been on him, with [John] Calipari and [assistant coach] Joel Justus leading the charge. They’re trying to see what the kid is looking for and see if that place can be a fit and get him better. It’s a feeling-out period, but they’re definitely high on his talent and his competitiveness and his ability to play multiple positions.”

Now onto the rest of the week’s Kentucky recruiting news. If you missed last week’s notebook, catch up here.

Cameron Reddish

Cameron Reddish, a 5-star small forward and the No. 5 prospect in the 2018 class, narrowed his list to five this week. Kentucky made the cut.

The Wildcats joined Duke, UCLA, Connecticut and Villanova in Reddish’s top 5. The 6-foot-8 small forward has close ties with Calipari having spent several weeks during the summer on the U-19 Team USA squad.

“He and I obviously got closer,” Reddish said of his time with Calipari. “We got to talk a lot more about me specifically. I guess it helped him a little bit. I’m not gonna say I’m over the edge, but I guess so, yeah.”

Reddish has previously said he’ll announce his commitment in November or December.

Quentin Grimes

Kentucky made another list when 5-star point guard Quentin Grimes announced his top 7 this week. Kentucky, Arizona, Texas A&M, Kansas, Marquette, Baylor and Texas made the cut.

Grimes is the No. 21 overall prospect and the No. 5 point guard in the class, according to 247Sports. Although Kentucky looks locked in on Immanuel Quickley as its primary point guard in the class, Grimes has the ability to play off the ball as a shooting guard at 6-4 and 175 pounds.

SEC Country caught up with Grimes at the Adidas Gauntlet Finale last month. He said Kansas was at the top of the list, but he wasn’t ready to count out Kentucky.

“I wouldn’t eliminate them, because [Calipari] already told me that he can play with two or three guards out there on the court,” Grimes told SEC Country. “He has a good track record. You can see he puts two or three guards out there and they produce and get to the next level quickly. So it’s definitely an option to play with another point guard who can facilitate and get me the ball.”

AlohaCat

Other teams stopped recruiting Quickley over a month ago. Quickley to UK is the worst kept secret in recruiting.

I think King and one of Moses/Bol/Shittu/Reid are also already UK bound.

Calipari is saving the recruiting spotlight while chasing the big 3 in Barrett, Reddish, and Zion while keeping the other 3 players ready to commit quiet to prevent any kind of negative recruiting.

Getting those 3 would be Cal's biggest recruiting accomplishment ever. Probably any coaches biggest recruiting accomplishment ever. If Bagley is reclassified, that'd make that the top 3 players in the nation.

I don't think anyone has ever landed the top 3 in any class.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Other teams stopped recruiting Quickley over a month ago. Quickley to UK is the worst kept secret in recruiting.

I think King and one of Moses/Bol/Shittu/Reid are also already UK bound.

Calipari is saving the recruiting spotlight while chasing the big 3 in Barrett, Reddish, and Zion while keeping the other 3 players ready to commit quiet to prevent any kind of negative recruiting.

Getting those 3 would be Cal's biggest recruiting accomplishment ever. Probably any coaches biggest recruiting accomplishment ever. If Bagley is reclassified, that'd make that the top 3 players in the nation.

I don't think anyone has ever landed the top 3 in any class.
We got pretty close with the Harrison class

Reactions: EclipsingYou
Barrett is UK bound. Reddish probably wants to go to UK, but they're being told they need to avoid the same school and I don't think Reddish cares much for ratface LOL! What a problem to have. The #1, #2, and, #3 future nba picks wanting to play for the same school.

I'll take Barrett or Reddish.

Put either with Quickley and Williamson and I think we are good. We will get four or five contributors back.

I could realistically see a backcourt rotation of Green, Gigeous-Alexander, Baker, and Quickley along with a front court rotation of Killeya-Jones or Richards, Wynyard, Reddish or Barrett, and Williamson. If anyone else returns or signs, it's bonus.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Duke and Kansas considered to be the top two for Barrett according to the Crystal Ball?!

tenor.gif

True, even though their games didn't transfer as well as thought from HS to college. I have zero doubt Zion, Barrett, or Reddish have any such problem!

I want it to happen SO FREAKING BAD! Calipari's "Mona Lisa" of recruiting classes...

What would be realistic to expect out of a team featuring those 3 players? How far should that team go?

Barrett is UK bound. Reddish probably wants to go to UK, but they're being told they need to avoid the same school and I don't think Reddish cares much for ratface LOL! What a problem to have. The #1, #2, and, #3 future nba picks wanting to play for the same school.
Sure hope you are correct !

Having the top 3 draft picks, 2 lotto picks, a couple 1st rounders and another great backup or two should make 40-0 possible. We'd have a talent level above everyone to win easy, except the Cavs on a streak, a college level talent collection equal to GSW vs the rest of the NBA. They can win 40 straight, no reason UK shouldn't try it's best shot at it. I'll take the momentum and fear in the other team's eyes that comes with it.

Going undefeated requires catching luck to happen and shots to bounce in at the buzzer. After 38-1 and 36-2, no one should call it "so impossible you're retarded" to even think about it. Especially the next time we manage starting out 30-0.

With no real info or decently popular I'm state college, top 5 players almost always have a top 3 of Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky. All of them. Especially early before they make an announcement date.

As for getting Barrett, Reddish, and Zion, that's 3 players that are all between 6'7"-6'9" with arm length reaching 7' on all 3.of them. The absolute, unanimous top 3 amateur basketball players that would start in the ,NBA and earn their keep as JR's right now &.SO Barrett.

When UK had AD and MKG, they were nearly unbeatable. This is adding either Murray/Fox/or Monk to AD and MKG in the same class. Those 3 would make the NT playing 5 man teams, LOL.

If we get Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson, I would expect a Final Four run. Anything can happen in the tourney, though, with it being single elimination. The 1991 UNLV team showed me that even the best team can lose in the tourney. 2015 reaffirmed that. The best team does not always win. But with three top 5 players, you have to think the Final Four is a realistic expectation.

Yes, sir. Which is why the single elimination tourney is the greatest sports event ever created. One bad night and LeBron, KD, DG, Steph, and Kyrie are going home. You could win a game 99/100 times, but have that 1 game end your season.

Less chance of that if UK lands the big 3. From what I hear,bucsrules8872 has gone from impossible to happen to improbable...

Bucs, if we got those players, I'd expect a title game and pray for the win. From the NT Eli can still make Brady cry.

If we get Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson, I would expect a Final Four run. Anything can happen in the tourney, though, with it being single elimination. The 1991 UNLV team showed me that even the best team can lose in the tourney. 2015 reaffirmed that. The best team does not always win. But with three top 5 players, you have to think the Final Four is a realistic expectation.

I agree!

AlohaCat

Barrett and Shittu as a package deal? Shittu's recruitment has been anything but regular. Some analysts are now saying that he is a South Florida lean. Don't be shocked if Shittu is a Bull

Barrett and Shittu as a package deal? Shittu's recruitment has been anything but regular. Some analysts are now saying that he is a South Florida lean. Don't be shocked if Shittu is a Bull

Unless we are better with Bol then what we have been reading, count me as shocked if Shittu ever goes to USF.

If we had to get Shittu to get Barrett, I think you would take that deal 24/7, 365 days a year! Bol may be better than Shittu, but not enough to make up for Barrett, who will be a top 3 pick in the NBA Draft.

Along with the other 2 future Wildcats, Cameron Reddish and Zion Williamson...

I want it all! Make this class Calipari's "Mona Lisa" and get the big 3, Quickley, King, and a big to make it the greatest recruiting class in history. A college team with the 3 top NBA prospects... I remember what happened when we had the first 2 players drafted, I wonder what having the top 3 would look like...

Reactions: HICATFAN
If we had to get Shittu to get Barrett, I think you would take that deal 24/7, 365 days a year! Bol may be better than Shittu, but not enough to make up for Barrett, who will be a top 3 pick in the NBA Draft.

Along with the other 2 future Wildcats, Cameron Reddish and Zion Williamson...

I want it all! Make this class Calipari's "Mona Lisa" and get the big 3, Quickley, King, and a big to make it the greatest recruiting class in history. A college team with the 3 top NBA prospects... I remember what happened when we had the first 2 players drafted, I wonder what having the top 3 would look like...

I like the thinking...I would love for this to come to fruition!!!

AlohaCat

So, you are saying something doesn't smell right in teh Shittu recruitment?

Reactions: 420grover
Sounds like from the "great" Duke insider that they're confident ( no surprised) on getting Reddish and Barrett.

I feel pretty confident that we get Quickley.

I feel like we have a better chance than anyone else at getting Williamson, but no guarantees in recruiting.

I feel like we probably get at least one of Reddish or Barrett. Duke is stiff competition for both, so I have a hard time believing we can get both. Splitting with them seems more realistic than getting both or missing on both.

I think we probably get a good big man. Bol and Shittu seem the most likely candidates, but Penn-Johnson is intriguing. Would not surprise me to get him.

Reactions: HICATFAN
The Randle, Harrison twins class was a beast. The twins were a bit of a let down and Randle was off and on. That team made the championship game.

If we go 1-3 of the best HS talent, and possibly amateur players in the world, we should win the 2nd title for Cal. Anything less is a disappointment.

I won't go for 40-0 though. Just would rather win 9 and call it a day. Cal only has 3-6 years left.

I feel pretty confident that we get Quickley.

I feel like we have a better chance than anyone else at getting Williamson, but no guarantees in recruiting.

I feel like we probably get at least one of Reddish or Barrett. Duke is stiff competition for both, so I have a hard time believing we can get both. Splitting with them seems more realistic than getting both or missing on both.

I think we probably get a good big man. Bol and Shittu seem the most likely candidates, but Penn-Johnson is intriguing. Would not surprise me to get him.

Good points, but can you imagine IF we did get both Reddish and Barrett...THAT would be amazing!!

AlohaCat

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT