ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky basketball recruiting notebook: R.J. Barrett shakes things up, 5-stars cut lists

If we did actually land the Big 3 (Zion, Cam, and Barrett) along with likely Quickley and King plus whichever one of the top 7 or so big men that Cal wants most, who all still look to be obtainable, Adding those 6 to a returning roster that will probably include 2 of PJ/JV/WG, Quade, Shai, Jemarl, SKJ, and Tai would make anything less than Calipari's second National Championship a bitter disappointment that would likely equal the level of the ending of the 38-1 year to Wisconsin.

Even if we were to land Zion, one of Barrett and Cam, and Romeo, it would be a similar story.

Poor Romeo is being harassed by Archie Miller while knowing Romeo doesn't want to spend his one year in college on a team not near the top 10. Mom says UL isn't happening. Duke and Cal are hesitating on recruiting him hard as they wait on both Cam and Barrett.

Of the 4 favorites to land him, IU doesn't have the talent, UL is in the midst of their biggest scandal in history, and there happens to be 2 other players ahead of him on both Duke and UK's board. All for a kid who has NBA All-Star type potential and would be UK's best shooter since Booker or Murray, all while being able to score in bunches like we saw with Monk last year.

I am starting to think that if Calipari finds out for sure that getting both Cam and Barrett is not going to happen in the nest week or two, no matter what, he should immediately make Romeo a top priority. Replacing Cam or Barrett with Romeo in such a class that UK is looking at will not be that big of a downgrade, it might even be an upgrade from a shooting standpoint with him being a better shooter from deep than either Cam or Barrett IMO, and still makes us massive favorite to win the NT.

Still hold out for either Cam or Barrett to decide before signing Romeo, but having him on board like Quickley would be the next best option UK could ever hope for.

All in my completely worthless opinion, as always.

Going undefeated requires catching luck to happen and shots to bounce in at the buzzer. After 38-1 and 36-2, no one should call it "so impossible you're retarded" to even think about it. Especially the next time we manage starting out 30-0.

And hope our boy doesn't referee the leite 8 or final 4.

If we did actually land the Big 3 (Zion, Cam, and Barrett) along with likely Quickley and King plus whichever one of the top 7 or so big men that Cal wants most, who all still look to be obtainable, Adding those 6 to a returning roster that will probably include 2 of PJ/JV/WG, Quade, Shai, Jemarl, SKJ, and Tai would make anything less than Calipari's second National Championship a bitter disappointment that would likely equal the level of the ending of the 38-1 year to Wisconsin.

^^^^^THAT^^^^^ would be unreal!!!!

AlohaCat

I am telling you Langford is a UK Wildcat name...

Congrats.....:fistbump:

UtSS9wV.gif

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Not really the biggest fan of langford. He reminds me alot kobe Simmons with his attitude on the court. I think we get reddish and barrett goes elsewhere, zion will come to UK because he loves the spotlight and no place is like Kentucky when it comes to college basketball right now. I think we will also sign king, quickly, shittu and maybe one or two for depth. We should also have a few back from this team if not several. Alexander will be a big time player for us his sophomore year..

I don't know about landing all three guys, but if Cal just lands Barrett, it would be hard for me to feel let down. All three are most likely future NBA studs, but Barrett will be the most complete basketball player and do the most damage during his one season of college basketball. With that said, if either of the other two kids decided on Kentucky, I won't be too upset about it. When it comes talking about the best of 3 of the top 5 players in the country, it is all just opinion and could as easily turn out being false. When these top 5 players are so close talent wise, Cal should just throw some darts when deciding on which of the 3 kids will be the best for Kentucky.

Not really the biggest fan of langford. He reminds me alot kobe Simmons with his attitude on the court. I think we get reddish and barrett goes elsewhere, zion will come to UK because he loves the spotlight and no place is like Kentucky when it comes to college basketball right now. I think we will also sign king, quickly, shittu and maybe one or two for depth. We should also have a few back from this team if not several. Alexander will be a big time player for us his sophomore year..

I'd take that.

Quickley, Reddish, King, Williamson, and Shittu.

I think we get Green, Baker, Gilgeous-Alexander, Killeya-Jones, and Wynyard back to go with them.

That's a good combination of talent and experience.

I would like to see us add another multiyear guy like Penn-Johnson as well.

Reactions: 1991greywildcat
Other teams stopped recruiting Quickley over a month ago. Quickley to UK is the worst kept secret in recruiting.

I think King and one of Moses/Bol/Shittu/Reid are also already UK bound.

Calipari is saving the recruiting spotlight while chasing the big 3 in Barrett, Reddish, and Zion while keeping the other 3 players ready to commit quiet to prevent any kind of negative recruiting.

Getting those 3 would be Cal's biggest recruiting accomplishment ever. Probably any coaches biggest recruiting accomplishment ever. If Bagley is reclassified, that'd make that the top 3 players in the nation.

I don't think anyone has ever landed the top 3 in any class.

Weren't Davis, MKG and Teague the top three in one poll? Rivals had them 2,3 and 5 (with Austin Rivers No.1 and Bradley Beal No 4). That worked out pretty well.

Why do a lot of folks think UK is getting Reddish?

I think the fact that he played for Cal this summer on the U19 team has a lot to do with the speculation.

That coupled with his statement that Duke is not his leader.

I am cautiously optimistic that we get at least one of Reddish and Barrett.

Barrett is the best player in the 2018 class. Like gonzo said the other day, he dropped the smoothest 38 points o on a coach cal team that i have ever seen. If cal can pull of a recruiting coup like getting Barrett and reddish to play together in college, nobody will stop that Kentucky team from going to a final four. I'm not sure the anthony davis team could beat a lineup of
Green\quickly
Reddish
Barrett
Williamson\shittu
Richards??
It would be a hell of a game!!

Reactions: EclipsingYou
Barrett is the best player in the 2018 class. Like gonzo said the other day, he dropped the smoothest 38 points o on a coach cal team that i have ever seen. If cal can pull of a recruiting coup like getting Barrett and reddish to play together in college, nobody will stop that Kentucky team from going to a final four. I'm not sure the anthony davis team could beat a lineup of
Green\quickly
Reddish
Barrett
Williamson\shittu
Richards??
It would be a hell of a game!!

Any team with Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson at the 2, 3, and 4 should go to the Final Four.

That's numbers 1, 2, and 3 in the rankings (if Bagley successfully reclassifies).

Heck, put (UK's) Michael Porter at PG and Shagari Alleyne at C and that team still has a shot at a title.

Quickley at the 1 and Shittu at the 5. That would be incredible.

And we are likely to get at least 3 or 4 guys back from this year's squad. Probably closer to 5 or 6 guys.

I have a hard time telling myself it could happen. The conservative in me says to be happy with one of the top 3 to go with Quickley.

That's a great start to the class.

Then get Shittu and King. Maybe add Penn-Johnson (a great sleeper candidate).

I'd be happy with that class, with what we should get back. Get Green or Gilgeous-Alexander (maybe both) and one or two of Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, Vanderbilt, Washington, or Richards to go with them.

Starters

G Green or Gilgeous-Alexander
G Quickley
F Williamson, Barrett, or Reddish
F Shittu
F Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, Vanderbilt, Washington, or Richards

Key Reserves

G Baker
F King
F Penn-Johnson

That's a contender.

If we don't get one of the top three, though, I will be a little disappointed.

Reactions: HICATFAN
Any team with Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson at the 2, 3, and 4 should go to the Final Four.

That's numbers 1, 2, and 3 in the rankings (if Bagley successfully reclassifies).

I have a hard time telling myself it could happen. The conservative in me says to be happy with one of the top 3 to go with Quickley.

It will be interesting, 3 guys at the one position UK struggles most to land (although clearly not this last year, lol). Of those 3, I think at least one of Barrett and Reddish goes to Duke (mostly likely Reddish imo, he's being cute not calling Duke his leader). Williamson seems like a kid who would fit in well at UK, he'd be my guess.

It will be interesting, 3 guys at the one position UK struggles most to land (although clearly not this last year, lol). Of those 3, I think at least one of Barrett and Reddish goes to Duke (mostly likely Reddish imo, he's being cute not calling Duke his leader). Williamson seems like a kid who would fit in well at UK, he'd be my guess.
Duke isn't getting both Reddish and Barrett. I believe UK will get one of those two to go along with Williamson.

Duke isn't getting both Reddish and Barrett. I believe UK will get one of those two to go along with Williamson.

This is very possible.

I think Williamson and either Barrett or Reddish can play together.

Barrett is a 2/3. Reddish is a 2/3. Williamson is a 3/4.

All three can fit together at 2, 3, and 4 spots, but that's a bit of a stretch. Most likely its Reddish or Barrett spending time at the 2 and 3 with Williamson spending time at the 3 and 4.

Two of the top 3 guys would be amazing.

Other teams stopped recruiting Quickley over a month ago. Quickley to UK is the worst kept secret in recruiting.

I think King and one of Moses/Bol/Shittu/Reid are also already UK bound.

Calipari is saving the recruiting spotlight while chasing the big 3 in Barrett, Reddish, and Zion while keeping the other 3 players ready to commit quiet to prevent any kind of negative recruiting.

Getting those 3 would be Cal's biggest recruiting accomplishment ever. Probably any coaches biggest recruiting accomplishment ever. If Bagley is reclassified, that'd make that the top 3 players in the nation.

I don't think anyone has ever landed the top 3 in any class.
Like you say, Quickly is UK bound. There is a sensible article posted now over on SEC Country.com, and I agree with its conclusions. Basically, we sign Quickley, probably Shittu, plus 2 wings out of Williamson, Reddish, Barrett. The article points out that scholarships in Calipari's next class will be somewhat limited. Most players on this year's UK team will be back next year. So Brown, Bagley, Bol, Reid, King, Langford are headed elsewhere.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketball-uk-recruiting-predicting-2018-class

Last edited:

Heck, put (UK's) Michael Porter at PG and Shagari Alleyne at C and that team still has a shot at a title.

Quickley at the 1 and Shittu at the 5. That would be incredible.

And we are likely to get at least 3 or 4 guys back from this year's squad. Probably closer to 5 or 6 guys.

That's a great start to the class.

Then get Shittu and King. Maybe add Penn-Johnson (a great sleeper candidate).

I'd be happy with that class, with what we should get back. Get Green or Gilgeous-Alexander (maybe both) and one or two of Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, Vanderbilt, Washington, or Richards to go with them.

Starters

G Green or Gilgeous-Alexander
G Quickley
F Williamson, Barrett, or Reddish
F Shittu
F Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, Vanderbilt, Washington, or Richards

Key Reserves

G Baker
F King
F Penn-Johnson

That's a contender.

Excellent analysis

AlohaCat

Like you say, Quickly is UK bound. There is a sensible article posted now over on SEC Country.com, and I agree with its conclusions. Basically, we sign Quickley, probably Shittu, plus 2 wings out of Williamson, Reddish, Barrett. The article points out that scholarships in Calipari's next class will be somewhat limited. Most players on this year's UK team will be back next year. So Brown, Bagley, Bol, Reid, King, Langford are headed elsewhere.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketball-uk-recruiting-predicting-2018-class

Thanks for the link. Interesting article.

I just wonder who will be back. Hard to tell at this time.

But 5-6 guys back with Quickley, Shittu, Barrett or Reddish, and Williamson, and we are in business.

Williamson to Kansas info is a tad disheartening.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-uk-basketball-recruiting-zion-williamson-kansas-threat

Is he cute? Is that you CC?

I still feel pretty good that we get at least one of the big three (Barrett, Reddish, Williamson).

I think it could end up being Barrett. Cal's Canadian connections and all.

I could see Adidas forcing Wiliamson to KU. Reddish probably goes to Duke, if Barrett comes here. Either way, I still think we split with Duke for Barrett and Reddish.

Quickley is likely ours. Shittu probably will be once offered, especially if we snag Barrett.

Quickley, Barrett, and Shittu. That's a strong class. I think we should get Green, Baker, Gilgeous-Alexander, Killeya-Jones, and Wynyard back at the very least.

Starters

G Green
G Quickely
F Barrett
F Shittu
F Killeya-Jones

Key Reserves

G Gilgeous-Alexander
G Baker
F Wynyard

And I think we could end up with one of Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Richards back as well.

We are going to be in very good shape next season. We will have a good combination of talent and experience.

I still feel pretty good that we get at least one of the big three (Barrett, Reddish, Williamson).

I could see Adidas forcing Wiliamson to KU. Reddish probably goes to Duke, if Barrett comes here. Either way, I still think we split with Duke for Barrett and Reddish.

Quickley is likely ours. Shittu probably will be once offered, especially if we snag Barrett.

Quickley, Barrett, and Shittu. That's a strong class. I think we should get Green, Baker, Gilgeous-Alexander, Killeya-Jones, and Wynyard back at the very least.

Starters

G Green
G Quickely
F Barrett
F Shittu
F Killeya-Jones

Key Reserves

G Gilgeous-Alexander
G Baker
F Wynyard

And I think we could end up with one of Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Richards back as well.

We are going to be in very good shape next season. We will have a good combination of talent and experience.

Doesn't Quickely and Williamson want to play together? Does getting Barrett and/or Shittu eliminate the possibility of getting Reddish?

Thanks

AlohaCat

Doesn't Quickely and Williamson want to play together? Does getting Barrett and/or Shittu eliminate the possibility of getting Reddish?

Thanks

AlohaCat

KU offered two guys Williamson wants to play college ball with as well (Dotson and some other 3-star kid). Dotson is considered a KU lock.

Add that to him being the top Adidas player, and it makes sense he ends up at KU.

Thats just my thinking right now. I have no real knowledge. That just sounds like a pluasible scenario.

We might very well get Williamson, I just have a feeling Adidas is going to promise this kid the moon to get him at an Adidas school.

Concerning Reddish, I just don't see him at the same school as Barrett. Could be wrong, I just don't see it happening.

Starters

G Green
G Quickely
F Barrett
F Shittu
F Killeya-Jones

Key Reserves

G Gilgeous-Alexander
G Baker
F Wynyard

I think next year's starters could be:

Green
Barrett
Vanderbilt
Williamson
Richards

Bench:
SKJ
Gabriel
Wynyard
Quickley
Baker
Herro
Johnson

Jmo. :popcorn:

I think next year's starters could be:

Green
Barrett
Vanderbilt
Williamson
Richards

Bench:
SKJ
Gabriel
Wynyard
Quickley
Baker
Herro
Johnson

Jmo. :popcorn:

I’m holding hope we get Barrett, but Barrett, Johnson, and Herro? That seems unlikely to me

ADVERTISEMENT