ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky at Vandy (Friday)

Seems like it doesn't matter what we do we just cannot find the hits. That was a strong hit up the middle by Squires and yet they gobble it up and throw him out. Seems like the infield is slow at the worst times.

These guys are so depressing by going through the motions vs a mediocre relief pitcher. They are swinging at every thing. Let's get this fiasco over with.

On the plus side, our depleted pitching staff will have only had to pitch 16 innings the first two games of the series.

Hopefully they can salvage tomorrow's game. There's no telling who will be pitching the opening SEC tournament game Tuesday - Schaenzer?

TV announcers just said UK's staff hopes that Haake and Coleman can throw bullpen sessions tomorrow or Sunday, and that they can get all four of their resting pitchers back by regional play.

Of course we were all fretting the lack of pitching depth this weekend, and in all reality, UK wouldn't be winning either of these first two games when it has only plated one run each of these games.

Schaenzer gets UK out of it after Harper walks one in. This one will mercifully be coming to an end shortly. Again, Cats absolutely must find a way to salvage game 3 tomorrow.

Back to back breaks for UK! Grounder to third gets past third and then on a double play ball Vandy can't get even one.

Aklinski scalded that first one and then Lewis' grounded was as routine as you'll see.

Pompey crushes a liner right at CF, but Aklinski didn't tag in time so Cats can't push a run across.

What the hell... how do you not tag up on that!?!?

Combined with Becker's mistake on the passed ball, that's two runs UK just declined to take. Ridiculously bad offensive performance tonight (aside from Pompey).

Vandy pitching has not been that good or that dominant. No reason we shouldn't be hitting them.

Combined with Becker's mistake on the passed ball, that's two runs UK just declined to take. Ridiculously bad offensive performance tonight (aside from Pompey).

Really this has somewhat been coming. The fact that basically we have 3 positions doing little to nothing is killing us. Squires has only 2 or 3 hits in his last 25+ at bats and the DH is a trainwreck. With it we can't find anyone to fill in at right and give us consistent hitting. So, basically after we get past the 4 hole we have nothing. Dawson is okay, but he is hit or miss, and Aklinski is turning it around a bit but is still not great lately. So, until the bottom half regains its confidence we will continue to hit like this.

Reactions: Oldtrainer
The batting order needs shaken up, Cottam not a 2 hole hitter, need Pompey hitting 3rd to get RBI chances that Cottam is wasting.
Don't know who could lead off, Becker, Aklinski, just need changes, gone stale.

Reactions: DubyaT
Really this has somewhat been coming. The fact that basically we have 3 positions doing little to nothing is killing us. Squires has only 2 or 3 hits in his last 25+ at bats and the DH is a trainwreck. With it we can't find anyone to fill in at right and give us consistent hitting. So, basically after we get past the 4 hole we have nothing. Dawson is okay, but he is hit or miss, and Aklinski is turning it around a bit but is still not great lately. So, until the bottom half regains its confidence we will continue to hit like this.

^^Agree^^.
Two old horse training saying come to mind with this team at the present time.
"Even Hot Springs water won't help."
The other I won't use. It refers to Kelso's private parts!

This coaching staff and team have been a total train wreck from the start of the SEC schedule. I know injuries have played a part in pitching but this weekend is perfect example of how this offense is light years away from the preconference schedule. Head scratching lineups, bunting decisions, base running comedy, lack of clutch hitting and watching strikes go down the middle of the plate have been unending frustration.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Watched first two inning last and a foul ball struck I think Mason Hazelwood in the face. Anyone have info?

Hopefully they can salvage tomorrow's game. There's no telling who will be pitching the opening SEC tournament game Tuesday - Schaenzer?

TV announcers just said UK's staff hopes that Haake and Coleman can throw bullpen sessions tomorrow or Sunday, and that they can get all four of their resting pitchers back by regional play.

Of course we were all fretting the lack of pitching depth this weekend, and in all reality, UK wouldn't be winning either of these first two games when it has only plated one run each of these games.
My guess is Justin Lewis will pitch the 1st SEC tourney game, he has been rested for 2 weeks now.

This team has been a total disappointment. No one is saying it, but UK may not even get into the tournament if they have a 13-17 SEC record. Very dicey.

Last night Kyle Peterson expressed a little doubt about UK and LSU making the NCAA's, and now today, Chris Burke, doing the USC vs Texas A&M game expressed some concern about UK and A&M making the NCAA 's.
Is this train of thought concerning to other posters ?

Last night Kyle Peterson expressed a little doubt about UK and LSU making the NCAA's, and now today, Chris Burke, doing the USC vs Texas A&M game expressed some concern about UK and A&M making the NCAA 's.

I think they are only considering conference records. That's silly. Our RPI is top 25 and just a week ago both A&M and UK were possible hosts. You don't drop that far in one week.

This team has been a total disappointment. No one is saying it, but UK may not even get into the tournament if they have a 13-17 SEC record. Very dicey.
If they end up 13-17, they probably don’t deserve it. One can list stats and rankings but I know what I see on the field. And losing two of the last three SEC series to teams not at the top of the conference reinforces that.

They are "safely" in the tournament. The RPI is good enough. But where they end up is another story. What really blows is Kendall Rogers had them pegged for his 8 for Omaha when the season started. And after the Texas Tech series, I believed it. Hell, I had started looking at hotels in and around Omaha.

They are "safely" in the tournament. The RPI is good enough. But where they end up is another story. What really blows is Kendall Rogers had them pegged for his 8 for Omaha when the season started. And after the Texas Tech series, I believed it. Hell, I had started looking at hotels in and around Omaha.

Losing Thompson really hurt this team and in a way they were never the same afterwards.

Losing Thompson really hurt this team and in a way they were never the same afterwards.
ABSOLUTELY no doubt. I still think Thompson was the best pitcher on the team last year at the end of the season. Better find 4/5 like him real quick...Shinn, Collett(health), Combs will have to step up big time next year and hopefully Shelby and severasl others make it to campus and provide immediate help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT