ADVERTISEMENT

Kellen Grady was a lot of fun

Montana81

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004

I’m not sure i’ve ever enjoyed watching a guy just shoot jumpers more than Kellen Grady. His form on his jumper, the mechanics, the release, the way he bounced into it and out of it, was just a work of pure sports artistry.

I’ll forever be bitter about how his lone season with us ended as I was convinced he was destined for more. One of the best shooters i’ve ever seen.

And oh yeah, **** Shaedon Sharpe

Grady had a beautiful 3pt. shot. Given what that team needed, he wasn't aggressive enough in hunting and taking the 3pt. shot. He passed up too many opportunities where he may not have been completely wide-open, but he had plenty enough space to get a good shot off. That might have been ok on a team with more good shooters, but those UK teams were pretty heavily reliant on his shooting for 3pt. scoring. Still, thank goodness UK had him on those teams. I also would have liked to see him with the ball in his hands more, as I thought he could maybe help that particular team more as a combo Guard (even though he was a more than a good enough college 2G or even SF piece for a team to compete for a championship).

Reactions: Montana81
Grady had a beautiful 3pt. shot. Given what that team needed, he wasn't aggressive enough in hunting and taking the 3pt. shot. He passed up too many opportunities where he may not have been completely wide-open, but he had plenty enough space to get a good shot off. That might have been ok on a team with more good shooters, but those UK teams were pretty heavily reliant on his shooting for 3pt. scoring. Still, thank goodness UK had him on those teams. I also would have liked to see him with the ball in his hands more, as I thought he could maybe help that particular team more as a combo Guard (even though he was a more than a good enough college 2G or even SF piece for a team to compete for a championship).

I’ve been saying this since during his season here. But he was capable of doing a lot more than just being a catch and shoot guy. He showed it in the alabama and lsu home games when he had to play lead guard because ty ty and wheeler were both out.

As great as grady was in that catch and shoot role there were games where other teams were able to shut him down with good scouting and denying the passing lanes and keeping us out of transition. Those were times when i really wish Cal would have just put the ball in his hands and maybe had him and ty ty switch roles.

Something else that hurt us that season is we really didn’t have a pick and pop threat. Keion Brooks was still an awful decision maker with the ball even as a junior so we couldn’t do it with him even though he had flashed a somewhat reliable mid range touch. And Oscar was too valuable on the offensive glass to put him in that role.

It became clear by the end of the season that on top of the injuries and fatigue setting in, teams had figured us out somewhat and we really needed to add more to our offense and just never did.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-PIP
If not for injuries (& maybe that other thing), that team could have won it. Was possibly the best team in the country for 1/3 of the season.

Each to their own. I remember the no shows in road games where you need 5th year/older players to show up. NCAA Tournament was a gutter ball too. He was part of that Davidson team everyone was picking to upset UK in '18 NCAA's and ironic he bookended career with losses in 1st Rd-only once against UK/other with UK. Had some moments but never got the hype.

I'm so glad the program has moved away from being "older" just to be older.

Each to their own. I remember the no shows in road games where you need 5th year/older players to show up. NCAA Tournament was a gutter ball too. He was part of that Davidson team everyone was picking to upset UK in '18 NCAA's and ironic he bookended career with losses in 1st Rd-only once against UK/other with UK. Had some moments but never got the hype.

I'm so glad the program has moved away from being "older" just to be older.
He could barely walk at that point

Reactions: entropy13
He could barely walk at that point
He stunk in road games when his feet were "Fine". I've heard an entire different story about '22 team but it pisses everyone off, so I'll leave it at you can love the old guys and their "grit"--I'm glad they are not the focal point of the program. Like the guys who are here now but like that there aren't many of them.

He stunk in road games when his feet were "Fine". I've heard an entire different story about '22 team but it pisses everyone off, so I'll leave it at you can love the old guys and their "grit"--I'm glad they are not the focal point of the program. Like the guys who are here now but like that there aren't many of them.
Interesting. I’ll say as a fan of UK, it never seemed like Cal and the older players connected like we see with the usual high end freshmen. I won’t speculate on the why, but just my observation when comparing the various teams Cal has had in his time at UK.

Not against the same level of competition and not for a coach that doesn’t run an offense so you have to run your butt off to get open. Cal ran Grady into the ground!
I have no ideal what offense Kellen’s old team ran. He still played less minutes here than any year he played funny how guys that have played here haven’t developed planter fasciitis. My wife got it and never played any sports!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT