ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas Fans Feel Helms Titles Validated Since Bilas Said They Have 5 National Titles

Hmmm someone help me out here. Trying to remember but how many NCAAT titles Rughead has won with the Cheathawks………..oh that’s right……1!!!!! 😆

• ku96
    Posted on 5 hrs, , User Since 229 months ago, User Post Count: 1197
    • 5 hrs
    • 229 months
    It has been 5 since 2008. There is not an argument against it.
    What’s next, our geographical “rivals” throw out 1988 and 2008 because it was only a field of 64 and not the current 68?
  • R0ckch8k avatar
    R0ckch8k
    Posted on 57 mins, , User Since 162 months ago, User Post Count: 8784
    • 57 mins
    • 162 months
    Honestly to argue it's not 5 is one of the silliest stances we have on this board or any other. It's 3 NCAA titles and 2 Helm's titles and that adds up to 5. The pre- NCAA titles will always be looked at less prominently just as the championships in the pre-Super Bowl era or the pre- BCS era but all those titles are still recognized nonetheless.

• TheBricklayer avatar
    TheBricklayerMOD
    Posted on 50 mins, , User Since 213 months ago, User Post Count: 31655
    • 50 mins
    • 213 months
    R0ckch8k said... (original post) Honestly to argue it's not 5 is one of the silliest stances we have on this board or any other. It's 3 NCAA titles and 2 Helm's tit...
    show more
    And to be 100% clear, there are Helms football titles as well that EVERY football school includes in their total count. Even Alabama. I think Bama includes two in the total they cite.

• LOL, if you guys wanna claim those phony sons of bitches then kentucky has 15 titles, that ok with yall? We have 7 helms and 8 NCAA titles.

Am I wrong, or do we also have Helms titles? They’re so insignificant I’ve never paid attention.
They are kinda a big deal. Bigger than college football clam ones from the 20s-70s where some years 3 teams won it the same year. If you want to look at it like we are to good to count them so be it. Mean while ku can indeed say they have 5.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
They are kinda a big deal. Bigger than college football clam ones from the 20s-70s where some years 3 teams won it the same year. If you want to look at it like we are to good to count them so be it. Mean while ku can indeed say they have 5.
no theyre not. they were awarded 30-40 years after the 30s and 40s. by a California bread company.

Any team chasing Kentucky will count Helms titles. The two closest do, Kansas and North Carolina*, that should tell you something. Bilas is a Dukie and they rival KY so he will join in on the fun to irritate KY fans too. So if any of these three get closer to KY we will add ours on too.

Am I wrong, or do we also have Helms titles? They’re so insignificant I’ve never paid attention.
We have one. It’s funny to see how the college basketball historical landscape changes if Helms titles were to count. Schools like Chicago, Columbia, Yale, Penn, Minnesota would suddenly become traditional powers with a collection of titles to their name.

Last edited:
We have one. It’s funny to see how the college basketball historical landscape changes if Helms titles were to count. Schools like Chicago, Columbia, Yale, Minnesota would suddenly become traditional powers with a collection of titles to their name.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We have one. It’s funny to see how the college basketball historical landscape changes if Helms titles were to count. Schools like Chicago, Columbia, Yale, Minnesota would suddenly become traditional powers with a collection of titles to their name.

where are you seeing we have one? I count 6 on your link

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

We have 7 if I’m reading that correct

Kentucky has 18 Total Natiomal Titles

(8) NCAA Titles
(3)Premo Portetta Power Poll

(7) Helms Titles
Count them all. All average fans hear is “national title” and we are the only fanbase that is “basketball intelligent” and “history purist” enough to truly know the difference and know they were awarded decades later.

If everyone else wants to count them....then count ours in every media program to accurately show the distance between programs.

Kentucky: 18xNational Champ

We have 7 if I’m reading that correct
Well, yeah, but I was referring to the pre-NCAA tournament era. Those are the ones that get argued about as to whether they should count (and which Kansas fans use to try to bump their total). I think everyone agrees who the rightful champ is during the NCAA tournament era.

Kentucky has 18 Total Natiomal Titles

(8) NCAA Titles
(3)Premo Portetta Power Poll

(7) Helms Titles
I would count it this way:

2 Helms titles (in years there was no NCAAT title)
1 NIT title in 1946
1 Premo poll title
8 NCAA titles
5 more if you want to count titles like football schools, we could add final 5 titles for AP #1 in years no other title (1952, 1966, 1970, 2003, 2015)

17…..

Reactions: SosaUK87
You people who argue to count Helms titles need to do a little research. Here's a couple paragraphs from Wikipedia to whet your appetite. Believe me -- the more you know the LESS legitimate they are. It's basically some random guy who dreamed it up to sell bread. Pay attention to the bold italic part especially:

"Founded in 1936 by Bill Schroeder and Paul Helms, the Helms Athletic Foundation was based in Los Angeles, California. The name was a misnomer, as there actually was no foundation in place to sustain the operation. Instead the organization was subsidized completely by the operations of Helms Bakery, opened by Helms in Los Angeles.[1] Schroeder selected the foundation's national champion teams and made All-America team selections in a number of college sports, including football and basketball.[2]

The Helms Foundation began releasing Schroeder's national championship selections for college basketball in 1943, when in February 1943 it published his retroactive picks for the national champion for each year from the 1919–20 through 1941–42 seasons.[1]

So, to summarize: Some guy who owned a bakery decided to get some publicity by naming a national champion in football and basketball. Then, a few years later, his friend who had no special expertise went back in the sketchy newspaper files of decades earlier and decided to award championships for years when there was no basis of comparison of any kind - no post-season tournament or inter-regional games. Just the guy's opinion.

How arbitrary was the guy's opinion? Take that 1922 title Kansas proclaims on a giant banner. Kansas was 16-2 that year. But Missouri -- in the same conference then - was 16-1 AND BEAT KANSAS 35-25. Kansas also lost to something called the Kansas City Athletic Club. They beat nobody outside of a few midwestern states. There's no real rational basis for naming Kansas the national champion that year. They didn't even win their conference outright.

That's what Kansas hangs on fifteen-feet high banners in order to hide their lack of legitimate accomplishments.

Last edited:
You should not count Helms titles in any year an NCAAT title was won.
math-numbers.gif

Not sure, but what about football? We claim a NC after beating Oklahoma in '58 Sugarbowl. Is that legit?

Not sure, but what about football? We claim a NC after beating Oklahoma in '58 Sugarbowl. Is that legit?

I am not sure that UK officially claims that (at least the university that is) and I believe it was the 1950 national championship that Sagarin awarded UK decades later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT