ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take for UK Basketball to come back?

I can understand this storied program hitting rock bottom we were placed on probation or with the Billie Gillispie fiasco. But now we have a HOF coach, top notch facilities, more money than almost any other program, and the best fan base in the country. And we are not competitive in Division I college basketball. What the heck is going on?

The joint press conference with Cal and Mitch gave me zero confidence that they are making any changes that will improve things. It is not going to get any better unless we identify what caused this situation, and make the needed changes.

There are obviously many factors, but I would like to point out one that has not been given much attention. I believe that far and away the biggest factor is Cal’s belief that putting players in the NBA is more important than winning games and titles.

In 2010 when 5 UK players were drafted in the first round, he said it was ‘the greatest day in the history of the program.” ( Hearing this, Dan Issel said Calipari's statement was the "Dumbest thing I've ever heard” Feel free to decide which statement you agree with.) Many of us scratched our heads and were a little bothered by this statement, but we didn’t realize that this meant he was willing to sacrifice the good of the program to achieve his goal of putting players in the NBA. Which is exactly what happened.

But what’s the point of putting players in the NBA? How does UK basketball benefit ? Bragging rights? I would rather brag about titles. Is Cal a better coach than coach K because he put more players in the NBA? I don’t think so.

This approach has harmed the team in several ways. One problem is the effect it has on Cal’s game management. I realize that Cal’s lineups are a bit of a mystery. But often, it seemed that Cal favored playing his one and dones rather than playing the most effective lineup. Did this cost us some games? I suspect it did, but there are many people on this board who are much more qualified than me to voice an opinion about that.

A much bigger problem is the failure to develop younger players. The teams that are successful in todays game have upperclassmen playing a significant role in the team. A team depending on 5 star freshmen just doesn’t cut it in todays game - as Cal has proven, and we have seen in the tournament this year. The best way to get a strong upperclass presence is to identify underclassmen with potential and use our resources to develop them. It makes no sense to waste our resources developing players who will not be at UK next year. This means playing time.

I doubt that Cal will make this change or any of the other needed changes. Our only hope is for Mitch to realize that Calipari is an employee of the University and that he is Cal’s boss, and hold him accountable for his results. And if Mitch can’t do this, then it is up to Mitch’s boss, Dr. Capilouto to intervene.

The joint press conference should give you CONCERN not HOPE. These are the 2 people that got us here. Ever hear the joke about fox in charge of the hen house or inmate running the prison? We ain't reached bottom yet, but these 2 clowns may get us there FAST.

Very good points and would be helpful but do you see Cal implementing much of that, especially number 4 on your list? His ego is too big to give up any power to others I'm afraid.
Agree.

Nice article, but I can't believe it took you this long to figure the program Cal has turned UK basketball into.
Giving Cal that lifetime contract was the second largest mistake UK made, the first , not letting him go after his
2010 comment and often referring to UK fans as crazy. The fool just didn't realize the love for and the passion UK fans have for the game
Is the glass half full or half empty?
It is both; half empty and half full. It all comes down to how you see it.

This could be said about how to answer this question from the OP.
For me, it goes beyond just UK basketball that has changed course and is no longer the same entity it once was.
I listened to the new UL coach in his press conference and thought about how passionate he was and thought how refreshing that was to see a coach who had fire like that.

The next thing I noticed about their new coach is how he is getting in touch with past UL players to interact with new players.
No matter what he does, he is still coaching little brother but I am not above giving him props for doing what needs to be done at UK.

Years ago when Cal came and the OAD with him, I supported our coach but not the OAD. I posted then how it would be the death of college basketball as we knew it. No more Senior nights that truly are Senior Nights, no more jerseys with players names on them hanging in the rafters. Our tradition that took years and years to build had come to a halt and the new traditions are a total opposite of what we all know UK basketball to be.

Let's get back to our roots. Let's get back to winning.

I remember watching the game go by coaches like Knight, Crum, and wonder why they refused to change with the game. We have to find a way to blend the old with the new.
But first, we must have a coach the fans trust and at this moment, a large part of the fan base at UK does not trust the coach and the direction he is taking us.

We have more than our share of negative stories coming from our program each year.
From players having injuries that don't make sense, lineups that are head scratchers, coaching mistakes, NIL money in question, players dictating when they will play.

Think of it this way. If Coach Cal was a general in the armed services and sent soldiers into battle with the way he runs this program, how would that work?
My toe hurts and can't fight today; I am not fighting until I see my agent; sending in soldiers who are not as good as the ones behind them; etc.

UK needs a coach who believes in our tradition; has fire in his eyes and breathes fire with his words. UK needs a coach who coaches for the name on the front of the jersey.
The glass is broke

Reactions: BlueSince92
Nice article, but I can't believe it took you this long to figure the program Cal has turned UK basketball into.
Giving Cal that lifetime contract was the second largest mistake UK made, the first , not letting him go after his
2010 comment and often referring to UK fans as crazy. The fool just didn't realize the love for and the passion UK fans have for the game
2010 comment - COW should have been drug into the ADs office the next morning and reminded that he was an employee of UK. From that point on, Kalipari knew he was in charge.

Billy Gillispie this; Billy Gillispie that. I literally never had such a profound lack of faith in Billy Gillispie as I do now in John Calipari.

And laugh all you want: BCG was tough enough to coach without a buyout.

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT