ADVERTISEMENT

K goes to 6, Self goes to 2, Wright goes to 3, or Davis goes to 1.

I'm glad you're okay with the Heels standing right over your shoulder in National Titles then. 7-8 would be getting awfully close. Doesn't 6-8 look better for you? ;) There was a time when UK never had to worry about anyone other than UCLA when it came to the title count.

Although national title count is important, I don’t pay as much attention to that as most people do. We have more important things to worry about as a program, honestly.

Yea I’m in the unfortunate position where I feel like rooting for Duke is the least harmful to UK’s Legacy. Yikes.

At least 1 team changes coaches next year

If Tennessee was in the final four that’d be worse in my book. Or Indiana hell I don’t know I just can’t stand Tennessee. When they got beat now that was a magical moment.

I figure they were a legit threat to win it all till everyone realized the SEC was a bunch of frauds.
Strange. Tennessee is not a thread to UK basketball. You could put all of their basketball fans in one room. I wish Tennessee was in the Final Four and not Duke or North Carolina or Kansas or Villanova.

The four in the Final Four all have multiple championships.

I’m probably going Kansas for a few reasons.

1. I don’t think Villanova would beat Duke, but Kansas might.

2. We would get the incredibly small consolation prize of having destroyed the National Champion on their home court.

3. By some miracle, maybe Kansas still gets hit by the NCAA, a la UL 2013.

That’s all I’ve got. Not much to feel good about.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
1. Nova- best outcome. Wright is a likable guy and Nova seems to be a clean program.

2. KU- would only be Selfs second and KUs official third. And it’s gotta chance, although slim, to become vacated.

3 UNC- not ideal. Would give UNC one under us. Amazing how Davis has gone from completely inept to FF. Has any coach ever won it in their first year?

4. Duke- hell no. No no no no no. If K wins the title it’s going to be the longest damn offseason ever. The whole county will slurp and we will have that rat bastards shadow over us forever.
Fisher was the interim head coach when Michigan won. It was his first time as head coach.

I’m probably going Kansas for a few reasons.

1. I don’t think Villanova would beat Duke, but Kansas might.

2. We would get the incredibly small consolation prize of having destroyed the National Champion on their home court.

3. By some miracle, maybe Kansas still gets hit by the NCAA, a la UL 2013.

That’s all I’ve got. Not much to feel good about.
Plus, Cal is pals with Self. Self getting his second might light a fire under Calipari, whereas K winning will probably be blown off by Cal as "favoritism."

It's really weird to me that UNC was all but dead as a program, and Roy went to two title games and won one since our magical 2015 team, and now Hubert is getting success in his first year after that UNC program was virtually in the same position we were at in 2009.

If this stuff doesn't reinvigorate Calipari, what will?

Reactions: Aike
Fisher was the interim head coach when Michigan won. It was his first time as head coach.
ole Jeep, there's a name from the past. You still post at IC or TDD? I'm not impressed with either, I think many at both sites have retreated to the premium forums. I don't even give more than a glance at either site. (Got your Xanax for Sat? ;)

Reactions: JeepCSC
No matter what, one of these coaches either ties Cal for titles in his first year (Davis), or passes Cal (Self), triples Cal (Wright), or sextuples Cal (K).

Who would have thought that the Cal Era at Kentucky would feature at least one of the following options:

Duke 3 titles
Villanova 3 titles
UNC 2 titles
Kansas 1 title

This stuff is horrific. If Cal doesn't have a come to Jesus moment now, he never will.
True enough but those HC's will be nowhere to be found on the most important day on the CBB calendar....the NBA draft. UK HC will take his seat on his throne at the preferred table at the draft, and he will be all big hugs and kisses as he bids farewell to his departing, short-tenured wildcats/newest NBA rookies.

Davis, Self, and Wright will probably be doing some boring old recruiting stuff or BB camps....Coach K will be kicked back on a beach somewhere struggling to hold is tropical drink under the weight and size of his handful of national championship rings..

These other HC's need to get their priorities straight....sheesh!

GBB!

Kentucky fans should not want duke or North Carolina to win. North Carolina has six titles, that will give them seven and on the doorstep of Kentucky. We need Villanova win. They have three titles.

Reactions: blubo
ole Jeep, there's a name from the past. You still post at IC or TDD? I'm not impressed with either, I think many at both sites have retreated to the premium forums. I don't even give more than a glance at either site. (Got your Xanax for Sat? ;)
I splurged last year for premium so I could follow the riveting coaching search. I imagined I’d be tracking planes and parsing interviews, only to find out Hubert had the job a month before I knew Roy was gone. I don’t venture much to the free boards now. I do miss the old TDD board and posters. Not the same now.

And I’m much more zen about Saturday than I ever thought I’d be. Unsure if it’s because of Hubert coming, or K going, or just me in general. I might have a different answer right before tipoff though.

Reactions: Neue Regel
I see it as the total opposite in terms of pressure. The K retiring thing is played out, the whole planet knows it. If Duke is playing Monday night K's career ends that night either way and he has 5 National Titles if he loses. Bill Self is the one that will have to go back to Lawrence and face that crowd if he lost the game and then they'll be talking about his gazillion wins, Kansas winning their regular season big 12 super bowl every year and just the one title to show for it.

I think the pressure is far heavier on Bill Self in that matchup. And his squad is the highest seeded team. The only # 1 seed to make it.
Interesting take, certainly worthy of a good discussion. I don't necessarily disagree with you but Duke is relying on freshmen to get that job done, albeit a good trio of them...it'll at least be interesting to see how it plays out. Don't know why I care to put myself through further misery by watching or caring, but I do.

You know if a Duke wins it’s going to be nothing but Duke and a sprinkle of St Peters in “one shinning moment”.

*9$ I can here it now “Indeed it was one shiny moment in time. So long K”.

Scuse me while I go cut of an appendage in punishment.

Kentucky fans should not want duke or North Carolina to win. North Carolina has six titles, that will give them seven and on the doorstep of Kentucky. We need Villanova win. They have three titles.
👆🏻

Heres who we want to win in terms of how hurts:

1. Nova- best outcome. Wright is a likable guy and Nova seems to be a clean program.

2. KU- would only be Selfs second and KUs official third. And it’s gotta chance, although slim, to become vacated.

3 UNC- not ideal. Would give UNC one under us. Amazing how Davis has gone from completely inept to FF. Has any coach ever won it in their first year?

4. Duke- hell no. No no no no no. If K wins the title it’s going to be the longest damn offseason ever. The whole county will slurp and we will have that rat bastards shadow over us forever.
Kevin Ollie at UConn won it his first year, and then was fired shortly thereafter.

No matter what, one of these coaches either ties Cal for titles in his first year (Davis), or passes Cal (Self), triples Cal (Wright), or sextuples Cal (K).

Who would have thought that the Cal Era at Kentucky would feature at least one of the following options:

Duke 3 titles
Villanova 3 titles
UNC 2 titles
Kansas 1 title

This stuff is horrific. If Cal doesn't have a come to Jesus moment now, he never will.
12 years of cal and 2/3 of the time 1 of 3 teams win it other than UK. And the idiots tell us the tournament is random? By what I see there is nothing random about it. If it were random there would be 12 different schools not the same ones. Cal had us duped to believe he was a serious coach when all he was doing was waiting to secure his job and cruise control it.

Duke 3 titles
Villanova 3 titles
UNC 2 titles
Kansas 1 title

they are not going to let k lose in his last year

Although national title count is important, I don’t pay as much attention to that as most people do. We have more important things to worry about as a program, honestly.
You’re about the only cbb fan of a blue blood to not give a shit about titles. That’s the first thing that’s looked at when deciding the tradition. Titles, final fours then wins. We are slipping and the so called list will need to be amended. We may not be the historic all time greatest program anymore.

Duke 3 titles
Villanova 3 titles
UNC 2 titles
Kansas 1 title

I hope Nova wins the whole thing. Then the next week the Jailhawks get hit with their penalties!! The rat faced bastard then fades into oblivion never to be seen again and UNCheat suffers mass transfers

But they are maimed now. No shot v KU who only has 3 NCAAT titles. Im pulling for Kansas over UNC or Duke.
This is one of the worst KU teams in the past ten years. Nova, while it’s not ideal to lose arguably best player WILL be in the game till the end. Hopefully refs let them play.

I’m cheering for Nova. Otherwise I’m stuck cheering for Kansas. As much as we dislike KU, they are not a threat to our title count. They win every 20-30 years or so. Duke sending K off with a title helps set Scheyer up for success. UNC at 6 is too close to comfort already.

Duke 3 titles
Villanova 3 titles
UNC 2 titles
Kansas 1 title

UConn was ineligible Ollie’s first year, they won the second. And then got into trouble with the NCAA and never did anything else of significance on the court.

"Is he the only one? Guess that kinda counts. Be interested to see if anyone was true HC and did it."

Seriously? Tubby Smith won it for you in his first year, so UK has been there and done that.

Probably the most impressive example of a first-time coach winning it all was Ed Jucker, who led Cincinnati to back-to-back titles ('61 & '62) and a Final four in his first three years. He had only coached for one year at the Merchant Marine Academy about 15 years earlier before taking over a Cincinnati team that had been to the Final Four twice with Oscar Robertson. Jucker lost The Big O to graduation, had no player of note (at least none that I've heard of), and managed to go back-to-back. It was a pretty impressive display of coaching.

Tubby Smith had been head coach at Tulsa and Georgia before getting the UK job. I assumed it was first year as a head coach.

Tubby Smith had been head coach at Tulsa and Georgia before getting the UK job. I assumed it was first year as a head coach.
Yes, Tubby had been a head coach before. As I said, Ed Jucker comes the closest to never having been a head coach before while winning the championship in his first year. He was head coach of the Merchant Marine Academy in the 2nd year of its 2-year attempt at basketball. I'm not sure it could even be considered Division 1; I'm certain they didn't have scholarship players. So Jucker had never been a Div. 1 head coach before.

I'm thinking Kansas wins this, beating Villanova due to injury, and the Duke/UNC winner because they'll be emotionally spent.

I'm thinking Kansas wins this, beating Villanova due to injury, and the Duke/UNC winner because they'll be emotionally spent.
wkycatfan,

That's my take too. If Moore weren't out for Villanova, I'd expect them to beat Kansas, but the injury may be too much to overcome. But I don't think there's a significant chance that UNC/Duke will beat Kansas. Besides the huge emotional energy that game will take, neither UNC nor Duke is strong enough defensively to be a viable championship candidate. Since Pomeroy started tracking CBB, no team has won the championship ranked worse than 22 in defensive efficiency. Duke and UNC are ranked 45 and 39, respectively, with no chance of even getting into the top 30 defensively in just two games.
Does this mean that Duke and UNC can't win the championship? No. But it does mean that one of them would have to do what no other team has done in the last 20+ years. It's just not going to happen.

Yes, Tubby had been a head coach before. As I said, Ed Jucker comes the closest to never having been a head coach before while winning the championship in his first year. He was head coach of the Merchant Marine Academy in the 2nd year of its 2-year attempt at basketball. I'm not sure it could even be considered Division 1; I'm certain they didn't have scholarship players. So Jucker had never been a Div. 1 head coach before.
Well, again, Steve Fisher comes closest since he was an assistant coach at the beginning of March 1989, and won the title as head coach a month later.

Well, again, Steve Fisher comes closest since he was an assistant coach at the beginning of March 1989, and won the title as head coach a month later.
Yes, but he was only interim head coach with no expectation originally that he would be permanently hired as head coach. And he only coached the NCAA tournament games. I'm not convinced he really qualifies as a true head coach.

Yes, but he was only interim head coach with no expectation originally that he would be permanently hired as head coach. And he only coached the NCAA tournament games. I'm not convinced he really qualifies as a true head coach.
Eh, they weren’t coachless. Frieder didn’t win the tournament. “Interim” in this sense is more a contract thing, than anything else. From a practical standpoint, Fisher was the head coach of a team that won the title. He didn’t build it, he wasn’t in charge of it throughout the season, but there were 6 games that Michigan won to win the title, and Fisher was the head coach on the sidelines.

"Is he the only one? Guess that kinda counts. Be interested to see if anyone was true HC and did it."

Seriously? Tubby Smith won it for you in his first year, so UK has been there and done that.
Tubby led two Div1 programs before coming to KY.

We’re talking first time HCs at the collegiate level.

Eh, they weren’t coachless. Frieder didn’t win the tournament. “Interim” in this sense is more a contract thing, than anything else. From a practical standpoint, Fisher was the head coach of a team that won the title. He didn’t build it, he wasn’t in charge of it throughout the season, but there were 6 games that Michigan won to win the title, and Fisher was the head coach on the sidelines.
Jeep,

No, they weren't coachless. Fisher legitimately coached them to the title. If you want to say he's an example of a first-time head coach winning the title, that's fine. But the topic came up as a comparison to UNC's Hubert Davis. Davis was a long-time assistant who was hired as the head coach and has coached the whole season. If he were to win the title (which he won't, I don't think), Fisher wouldn't seem like a great comparison since he only coached the last 6 tourney games. But I don't object if you want to use him as a comparison example.

Duke 3 titles
Villanova 3 titles
UNC 2 titles
Kansas 1 title

I thought the tide was going to lift all boats! I want my money back LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT