ADVERTISEMENT

Just seen on ESPN/SEC Network

I can't help you on this one. That makes little sense to me to see UK listed that low among SEC teams. Until we meet and find out, I might place only UT with a better chance and I should know better than that with the history of both UT and Rick Barnes and how they both seem to flame out early in the tournament. Sorry, but I'm with you on this one, makes little sense to me.

I would say recent lack of success in March and Cal has been inconsistent/less than successful in games against highly ranked opponents in recent years (I know we beat a ranked Miami and UNCheat this year so far... I am talking last 3-5 year sample).

I would say recent lack of success in March and Cal has been inconsistent/less than successful in games against highly ranked opponents in recent years (I know we beat a ranked Miami and UNCheat this year so far... I am talking last 3-5 year sample).
Yeah but UT has 100+ years of no final fours lol. Bama isn’t making one for sure, Auburn I could see but nobody know quite how good they are yet.

The only rationale I can think of is that they figure our Freshmen are going to struggle down the stretch.

Makes 0 sense. What success have those other 3 teams had ever at making a final four?

Calipari does well with high level freshmen led teams here.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The odds for SEC Teams to make the final 4

UT- 22%
Auburn- 18%
Alabama - 16%
Kentucky - 6%

Make this make sense to me.
Probably due to having so many Freshmen … would be my guess. Simply have to prove the “experts” wrong !!

UT- 22%
Auburn- 18%
Alabama - 16%
Kentucky - 6%

Without looking it up, my guess is they are using their BPI ranking system as a data source for this. It's the reason why they give A&M a 66% chance to win on Sat.

BPI is like a watered down version of KenPom or NET rankings. I'm guessing our poor defensive metrics are pulling us down in those rankings.

UT- 22%
Auburn- 18%
Alabama - 16%
Kentucky - 6%

Espn metrics is garbage. Same one gave us like a 15-20% chance to win at Florida. Likely the UNC Wilmington loss bringing us down in their system.

Well, the good thing about that eSpN prediction is that it means absolutely nothing.
penis-penis-espn-sign.jpg

I agree with this post. There is no way to argue that the ESPN expectancy numbers aren't a strong indictment of Calipari. One can argue that that indictment of Calipari arises out of an ESPN bias against U.K., I suppose ... but that doesn't remove the fact that the underlying statement of the ESPN expectancy numbers is clearly based on the CCC acronym - and, in my judgment, rightly so.

Reactions: struggler
I agree with this post. There is no way to argue that the ESPN expectancy numbers aren't a strong indictment of Calipari. One can argue that that indictment of Calipari arises out of an ESPN bias against U.K., I suppose ... but that doesn't remove the fact that the underlying statement of the ESPN expectancy numbers is clearly based on the CCC acronym - and, in my judgment, rightly so.

Those metrics only include games played this year, as far as I know.

Without looking it up, my guess is they are using their BPI ranking system as a data source for this. It's the reason why they give A&M a 66% chance to win on Sat.

BPI is like a watered down version of KenPom or NET rankings. I'm guessing our poor defensive metrics are pulling us down in those rankings.
People are overlooking this for some reason, but it’s overwhelmingly likely to be the correct answer. It’s no conspiracy. The analytics just don’t like us as much as the pollsters for the time being.

You can certainly debate whether BPI is a good model or not, but even on something more reputable like KenPom, Auburn, Tennessee, and Alabama are ranked 4th, 5th, and 7th respectively while we’re 18th. That seems to roughly correlate to the odds cited in the original post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT