ADVERTISEMENT

Just how well does Monk have to shoot for us to win?

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
Everyone is saying Monk has to be on for us to win. And while I think he has to have a good game, I'm questioning if he needs 25+ to get there.

Teams are selling out to stop him. And rather than forcing the shot, making the right pass will beat teams. He can't go 3/10. But he doesn't need 25.

I agree that we don't need Monk to go for 30 in order to beat a good team like UCLA or UNC. Bam has been playing a lot better the second half of the season and has picked up some the scoring that Monk has dropped off. At some point though it would be nice if Monk did get hot and help take over a game.

Reactions: Cats192
I think he can have 10-15 again. I don't buy this "Kentucky has to score 90 and Monk has to have 40" for us to beat UCLA. That's not how the tournament works. Defense is the key. Kentucky has it now. UCLA doesn't and never did.

I don't think it's realistic to think UK can hold UCLA to less than 70. Even with a tremendous defensive performance by UK I still think UCLA gets to 70.

If so, I think Monk needs 20+ if UK is going to win.

As OP alluded, a lot of teams during our win streak have sold out their D to contain Monk. The result is Hawkins, Willis, Bam and Fox getting better opportunities. If he's being left open, we do need him to hit because the shots are going up.

Reactions: Cats192
200.gif

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
Our defense has improved but we aren't going to slow them down too much. We will need our offense to click for us to hang with them which includes monk going for around 20 at least I'd say.

I don't think it's realistic to think UK can hold UCLA to less than 70. Even with a tremendous defensive performance by UK I still think UCLA gets to 70.

UCLA has a defensive efficiency similar to Arkansas or Mississippi State. We scored 97, 88, and 82 against those teams. We put up 92 against UCLA the first time. It isn't realistic for UCLA to hold us to 70 either. Hell, only Florida (#3 defense), Alabama(#10), Wichita (#12), and Michigan St (#34) managed to, and all of them play much slower than UCLA. Both teams are more realistically looking at holding the opponent under 80.

spot on

Defense is going to be the key, Monk doesn't have to score 30 if they guard the 3 point line this time.

Defense and offense are going to be key. Nobody needs to kid themselves. Bruins spread the floor really well. Welch sneaks all over the place and can score from all angles and distances at his size. And when Welch and Goloman are on the floor together, those are big match-up problems for anybody, unless you never thought WCS and KAT were not big match-up problems. This is a big team.

Personally hoping Cal shows some zone, if for no other reason than to conserve a bit of energy, as the Bruins are a lot to keep up with when they've got the ball due to excellence spacing a ball movement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT