ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Allen and UK History

ConRay9

Junior
Nov 15, 2017
I'm not the oldest of UK fans by any means. I'm very passionate about the history, but the very tail end of the Couch years are all I have in memory in the beginning, and even then it's fuzzy. For all intents and purposes ,the Lorenzen era leading to even the Shane Boyd years are the first I truly remember.

All of that aside, I'm requesting the fans of this board to think about some great defensive players in our history, and how you'd personally rank Josh Allen among them. I've read about Art Still, and read/heard about many others, but in my lifetime I've never seen a more disruptive UK player on the defensive end. Benny gets all the hype, but Allen, IMO, is our most important player. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I'm 56, was 15 in 1977. AS was great obviously. We also had some other studs on the DL that IIRC also garnered all SEC honors, Jerry Blanton (DT) and Richard Jaffe (either DT or NG). I'm sure teams schemed for AS, but he also had a lot of help. AS played, and was a standout, many years in the NFL.

Hard to compare different generational players, IMO. Players had different levels of conditioning and physical development as did their opponents. AS played in a 4-3 alignment, opposing offenses were different, etc., etc., etc. Rules were different, what you could do with hands, what constituted holding, etc. Kash would not have even been flagged, much less tossed, for the block on the interception.

Josh is an all time UK great, of that there is no doubt. At this point in season he is 1st team SEC, and should be in the mix for some AA honors I would think. Fully expect him to also standout at next level. Since it was more recent, and in same D system, I compare JA to Bud Dupree. Lots of similarities IMO.

I'm 56, was 15 in 1977. AS was great obviously. We also had some other studs on the DL that IIRC also garnered all SEC honors, Jerry Blanton (DT) and Richard Jaffe (either DT or NG). I'm sure teams schemed for AS, but he also had a lot of help. AS played, and was a standout, many years in the NFL.

Hard to compare different generational players, IMO. Players had different levels of conditioning and physical development as did their opponents. AS played in a 4-3 alignment, opposing offenses were different, etc., etc., etc. Rules were different, what you could do with hands, what constituted holding, etc. Kash would not have even been flagged, much less tossed, for the block on the interception.

Josh is an all time UK great, of that there is no doubt. At this point in season he is 1st team SEC, and should be in the mix for some AA honors I would think. Fully expect him to also standout at next level. Since it was more recent, and in same D system, I compare JA to Bud Dupree. Lots of similarities IMO.

Thank you for the input. I think Josh should absolutely be considered for AA honors at this point in the season. He may not be the heart of the defense quite like Kash is, but he brings the boom like no other. He'd strike fear into any O line even Bama's, no doubt.

It's "intensive purposes", but yea...

My first real era that I remember was the couch era. The very first team i remember was 92 or 93 with Pookie Jones.

He's the best player I've seen defensively in a UK uniform in my lifetime, and I feel like we've had some really great and underrated players.

My first real era that I remember was the couch era. The very first team i remember was 92 or 93 with Pookie Jones.

He's the best player I've seen defensively in a UK uniform in my lifetime, and I feel like we've had some really great and underrated players.

That makes sense. The two phrases sound the same but I’ve never actually typed it out or written it down before come to think of it.

The more highlights I watch the more I think he’s one of the best ever here period. Offense gets the glory, but man I’ve never seen a UK player impact a play each and every time like he does.

Fun fact about Pookie Jones; he played when I wasn’t even a thought on this earth so I don’t remember him, but I worked with his wife at Josie’s restaurant a few years ago where she was a manager. She said he’s in almost as good a shape now as he was back then. Good dedication on his part.

Just about Still - he was a monster with a motor who dominated his side of the field like only the elite DE's do. You see and hear about a lot of the stars from back in the day and realize how much smaller they were than current players, they wouldn't even be recruited now. Still, today in his 60's, looks like he could put on a helmet and fit in on an NFL roster.

In 1979 KC drafted Mike Bell out of Colorado #2 overall to bookend Still at the DE position. Unfortunately, Bell was out of shape and injury prone his first 5 seasons, missing over 40 games, while the Chiefs' had a DC who played a conservative run stop oriented 3-4 D. In 1984 they brought in a new DC who switched to an aggressive D and a new conditioning coach who got Bell to work on diet, rest, aerobics, and stretching along with lifting. In the 84 season the pair of Bell and Still became a sack factory. In a game vs Cleveland, the KC defense dropped the Browns QB behind the line 11 times.

Still played 12 years, mostly for KC, and was considered the best DE in the AFC in his prime. He is a KC hall of famer; but I suspect didn't make it to Canton because he spent most of his career on a mid western team that wasn't a super bowl contender.

-actually "intensive purposes" is a bastardized or misheard (eggcorn) version of all intents and purposes. OP is correct.

I was 13 but remember watching the ‘76 and ‘77 teams, pretty much when I started playing jr high ball. Still will always be the first guy I will remember from that team. I tried to emulate his style but the only problem was being short, white, and fat.

Reactions: kritikalcat
I think it is fair to judge Allen vs Still they are similar in size,they played different positions but from a game impact standpoint they are nearly identical.

Still had Ramey,Blanton,Kovach and maybe Kirchbaum around him(not sure about Jaffee) Allen doesn't have that talent with him.
1977 is the gold standard,I see some of that in this team but not to the level they were on defense.The offense has a chance to be better than the 1977 team.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I'm not the oldest of UK fans by any means. I'm very passionate, but the very tail end of the Couch years are all I have in memory in the beginning, and even then it's fuzzy. For all intents and purposes ,the Lorenzen era leading to even the Shane Boyd years are the first I truly remember.

All of that aside, I'm requesting the fans of this board to think about some great defensive players in our history, and how you'd personally rank Josh Allen among them. I've read about Art Still, and read/heard about many others, but in my lifetime I've never seen a more disruptive UK player on the defensive end. Benny gets all the hype, but Allen, IMO, is our most important player. What do you guys think?
Art Still was fantastic, so was Wesley Woodyard.

Dewayne Robertson probably deserves some love. 4th overall pick.

Dennis Johnson might not have been the best, but he could be very disruptive with his length and athleticism. Was good enough to be a 3rd round pick.
We have had several good players along the way just not enough of them at the same time.Dave Roller deserves a shout out, an undersized DL who got a lot done for us on a not very good team.

I can still hear Cawood's call (random QB) "is back to pass,Roller is after him........Roller's got him and down he goes"

Art Still was fantastic, so was Wesley Woodyard.

I remember rushing the field after we beat Georgia when Woodyard was still on the team. I didn’t run into many players, but Wesley Woodyard was right near me in the middle of it and gave me a high five. I’ve always really liked him. He’s had a very good NFL career.

I think it is fair to judge Allen vs Still they are similar in size,they played different positions but from a game impact standpoint they are nearly identical.

Still had Ramey,Blanton,Kovach and maybe Kirchbaum around him(not sure about Jaffee) Allen doesn't have that talent with him.
1977 is the gold standard,I see some of that in this team but not to the level they were on defense.The offense has a chance to be better than the 1977 team.

I don't think Kovach played on the '77 team. He played on the '76 Peach Bowl team but redshirted in '77 due to an injury, then came back for the '78 season and was taken 4th round in the 1979 draft.

One of my favorite UK players ever

I'm not the oldest of UK fans by any means. I'm very passionate, but the very tail end of the Couch years are all I have in memory in the beginning, and even then it's fuzzy. For all intents and purposes ,the Lorenzen era leading to even the Shane Boyd years are the first I truly remember.

After just 5 games, who is to say who our most important player is? Darius West leads our team in tackles and interceptions. Josh Allen has been our best pass rusher. Kash Daniel has been the heart of the run defense. Benny is a Heisman candidate.

Lots of great defensive players have played here. To me, Kovach, Federspeil, Still, Michaels, McCollum, Peters, Barnett, and Reese stood apart.

Jim Kovach
Joe Federspeil
Art Still
Lou Michaels
Bubba McCollum
Corey Peters
Oliver Barnett
Jerry Reese
Chris Chenault
Josh Allen
Jeremy Jarmon
Dean Wells
Dennis Johnson
Wesley Woodward
Bud Dupree
Myron Pryor
Marty Moore
Chris Ward
Jeff Kremer
Randy Holleran
Kelly Kirchbaum
Dewayne Robertson
Mo Douglass
Trevard Lindley
Darryl Bishop
Jerry Claiborne
Danny Trevathan
Wilbur Hackett
Richard Jaffe
Wilbur Jamerson
John Grimsley
Paul Calhoun

I've read about Art Still, and read/heard about many others, but in my lifetime I've never seen a more disruptive UK player on the defensive end. Benny gets all the hype, but Allen, IMO, is our most important player. What do you guys think?

I didn't read the whole thread, so as not to effect my thoughts. Our best defensive players, on the d-line (and yes, I persist in my 70's way of thinking that Josh Allen is a "stand up Defensive End) are probably, in about any order:

Lou Micheals, two time All-American
Art Still, who I did watch play
Dewayne Robertson, a one man wrecking crew, and 4th overall pick in 2003
Josh Allen.

I've seen enough to put him up there with the others.

When he came around the far end and chased Bentley down for the sack almost in the end zone, it was like watching Jaws attack.

Does anyone remember Randy White knocking out Art Still on a Kick Off? Must have been early in their careers .

In addition to Art Still...

Lou Michaels played 14 years in the NFL.

Joe Federspiel may have been the greatest of them all.
I'm 70 and the first UK game I remember was in 1955 or 56. I agree with the players you chose and would have definitely named Michaels and Still as two of my all time greats. At one time, Johnny Majors admitted he was afraid of Michaels.

I think you're being sarcastic with intensive purposes. If so, well played. You still are an arrogant bastard that's generally not right though.

Reactions: BBBLazing
Not. I can’t remember the last time a defensive player won the Heisman Trophy.

But if UK gets two players on the AP All American first team, that would be something.

You’re right about winning, of course. But I don’t think either has a shot at winning.

But I don’t think you could go wrong with either of them in the “others receiving votes” category. At least based on their play to this point in the season.

You’re right about winning, of course. But I don’t think either has a shot at winning.

But I don’t think you could go wrong with either of them in the “others receiving votes” category. At least based on their play to this point in the season.

That’s right. Surprised this isn’t being thrown around more. We should have two Heisman candidates right now.

Kash Daniel is my favorite player.

Reactions: Aike
It’s 110% definitely not. Being a grammar nazi is stupid, especially when the person correcting has no clue what they are actually correcting.

The football board is always behind, but hey, it's Kentucky.

Read the entire thread.

I remember rushing the field after we beat Georgia when Woodyard was still on the team. I didn’t run into many players, but Wesley Woodyard was right near me in the middle of it and gave me a high five. I’ve always really liked him. He’s had a very good NFL career.

I was on the field too after the game. Ran into Kennan Burton who gave all of us a five. Later we went to Cheddar’s and wound up at a table next to Wesley Woodyard. He was super nice. Talked with us about the game and the excitement of knocking off his home state team. Then he took a picture with us. Easily one of my favorites Wildcats of all time.

Reactions: ConRay9
Not. I can’t remember the last time a defensive player won the Heisman Trophy.

But if UK gets two players on the AP All American first team, that would be something.

Charles Woodson won it back in the 90's but he played a little offense too.

With that said, Josh Allen is the best defensive player for UK in my lifetime. The guy is a straight up BEAST!

You are wrong. It is "all intents and purposes."

The Wrong Way to Write It
If you intend to convey the sense of “in effect,” you don’t want to make the error of writing “for all intensive purposes.” This phrase is an eggcorn, a misheard or misunderstood phrase that an interlocutor transforms into a new word or phrase. (The name eggcorn comes from the tendency for some people to mishear the word acorn as eggcorn). So, “for intensive purposes” probably developed when someone misheard the similar-sounding “for all intents and purposes.” Intensive means thorough, vigorous, or concentrated. It’s evident from the context that most instances of “intensive purposes” should have been “intents and purposes.”

Once again, you come across as some arrogant ass that people get behind just because you are smarter than them, which isn't necessarily hard here.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT