ADVERTISEMENT

John Welch

Ron Mehico

All-American
Jan 4, 2008
I know I know another old regime thread, but I’m here for some good gossip! Everyone was thrilled with him, @ralphdaltonfan mentioned he was one of our better assistant hires in years, seemed to transform our offense last year, and was well respected in NBA circles. Thought he left because of the coaching shakeup but just read he was planning to leave no matter what. To the point of leaving for……..Fresno State?? Any clue what happened between him and Cal?

I know I know another old regime thread, but I’m here for some good gossip! Everyone was thrilled with him, @ralphdaltonfan mentioned he was one of our better assistant hires in years, seemed to transform our offense last year, and was well respected in NBA circles. Thought he left because of the coaching shakeup but just read he was planning to leave no matter what. To the point of leaving for……..Fresno State?? Any clue what happened between him and Cal?
I don’t know of anything between he and Cal, but I always looked for him on the bench and it looked like to me, he had zero input during the game.

He and the Fresno State coach are very good friends and worked together previously for a number of years. He also worked at Fresno for 7 years previously.

He took a pay cut to leave for Fresno State. This goes back to what Matt Jones at KSR has been saying about Cal the last few years, and also why Antigua didn't follow Cal to Arkansas. People around Cal, are getting Cal fatigue.

“I believe in coach Walberg… This was a basketball decision for me to come and work with someone I really respect and to win” said Welch.

That statement right there, coupled with the fact that he was leaving Cal anyway......tells you right there that Welch did not see eye to eye with Cal

RIP you veteran reporter
herbwelch-snl.gif

Reactions: Fox2monk
Cal seriously had a tiger by the tail with Welch. Welch’s system was clearly brilliant and dominant. But the more Cal used that offense, the more obvious it was our success was coming from Welch and not Cal. A scary position for Cal to be in, feeling responsible for justifying why he was earning north of twenty times what Welch was earning. ——even without Cal’s ego factored in. I would have been surprised to see Welch stick around even if Cal hadn’t left.

I don’t know of anything between he and Cal, but I always looked for him on the bench and it looked like to me, he had zero input during the game.
Exactly, and that’s why he left. He seemed to be the reason we started running good offense again yet had no voice in games. Cal is all that mattered and that’s why the rest of his staff were yes men.

Reactions: Girthang
Pretty soon Cal is going to have to hire the people that say there re too many Cal threads to be his assistants cuz nobody else is buying his bullshit. Dreams do come true bbblazer!

Seems like Cal ends up making most of those around him dislike him at some point or another.

Some bail quickly and some stick around too long. Lucas and Welch were the smart ones. Why wait around to take the blame for something in which you have no real input?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Be curious to hear how Cal was hard to work for. Was he mean. Was he demanding. Was he not demanding enough. Micromanaging. Did he not listen. Did he blame. I think people can guess, but I still haven't heard any specific stories where he rubbed people the wrong way.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Some bail quickly and some stick around too long. Lucas and Welch were the smart ones. Why wait around to take the blame for something in which you have no real input?
It’s easy to see why both of them took pay cuts to leave. All you have to do is look at Cal’s coaching tree, it’s obvious he’s not the guy to teach them much nor promote their careers or help them become head coaches. Every single one who tried failed hard. When Tony Barbee is arguably the best head coach you produced your tree sucks.

Reactions: tomrain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT