ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Doherty

Heard an interesting comment yesterday and thought I’d share.

Was at a work conference where former UNC head coach Matt Doherty was the guest speaker. He was asked if he were to coach again how he would try to navigate today’s game compared to the way it was in the early 2000s when he last coached.

First words out of his mouth were that he would ask the school what his NIL budget would be because without a good one you can’t compete. Very reasonable answer.

However, it was this little comment he threw in that woke me up, something to the extent of:

“John Calipari just left the Kentucky job because of his NIL budget. Their biggest booster, the Craft family, pulled his funds because he wouldn’t let them use one of his player’s to help Mrs. Craft run for governor, so they just pulled all his funds.”

I know it’s been mentioned here, but I was pretty taken back by how matter of fact he was about it. Can’t help but think that’s how it is being viewed through coaching circles, that the Craft’s just ran Cal out.
Always knew Squid was Uber left, which I could give two shits about btw before the arrows start flying , but you could tell the way he spoke to our fan base after games he despised many/most KY people.

The NCAA does. They prohibited NIL for decades. They only allow it now. They could (and probably should) prohibit NIL for political advertisement.
I don’t claim to be the end all, be all of knowledge on this subject, but my understanding is SCOTUS pretty much shredded any notion of the NCAA impeding a person’s ability to profit from their NIL.. which is why we now have NIL.

Reactions: BigTyrone

Was at a work conference where former UNC head coach Matt Doherty was the guest speaker. He was asked if he were to coach again how he would try to navigate today’s game compared to the way it was in the early 2000s when he last coached.

First words out of his mouth were that he would ask the school what his NIL budget would be because without a good one you can’t compete. Very reasonable answer.

However, it was this little comment he threw in that woke me up, something to the extent of:

“John Calipari just left the Kentucky job because of his NIL budget. Their biggest booster, the Craft family, pulled his funds because he wouldn’t let them use one of his player’s to help Mrs. Craft run for governor, so they just pulled all his funds.”

I know it’s been mentioned here, but I was pretty taken back by how matter of fact he was about it. Can’t help but think that’s how it is being viewed through coaching circles, that the Craft’s just ran Cal out.
That has been proven false, not sure why people are still pushing that narrative, and the Crafts dumped Cal long before Oscar was even at UK.

If true I side with Cal on that. No need to have kids endorsing political candidates just cause they give money to the program.
Oscar was a full grown 22 year old man, not a "kid".

It was not really any of Cal's business what money he received for services rendered.

Cal almost destroyed the BBN over politics.

Sports are supposed to unite people, not divide them like politics always does.

I love the Crafts. Great KY fans and when Cal lost their support he was finished. Cal tried to force the left wing agenda. Coaches are like Preachers and teachers. You have to keep your political opinions to yourselves.
So you say coaches should keep their political opinions to themselves, but hypocritically you have no problem with a married to money Political Candidate with a strong political opinion telling the coach he has to make one of his players available for her political promo ad. Because their name is on the practice centre. I have never seen a more blatant sleaze ball move trying to force politics into the team. Cal at least did the right thing. Not the Crafts.

Reactions: Jamal Sunburn

Amazon Miami GIF by NFL On Prime Video

LET IT GO!!!!

Cal had no veto over Oscar endorsing a candidate.

This is 100% something Calipari is fabricating to stir up some sh*t. It has been told by Jones and he would know because he was one that was alienated, that Cal all but turned into a recluse outside of basketball.

He is stirring up sh*t. There's also a rumor that Jerry Jones is offering 2X NIL to any UK recruit who comes to Arkansas.

Cal is showing himself.

Politics should not be a part of UK basketball. We have enough problems without bringing politics into the equation. The Crafts should not use their influence over Mit

So you say coaches should keep their political opinions to themselves, but hypocritically you have no problem with a married to money Political Candidate with a strong political opinion telling the coach he has to make one of his players available for her political promo ad. Because their name is on the practice centre. I have never seen a more blatant sleaze ball move trying to force politics into the team. Cal at least did the right thing. Not the Crafts.
Absolutely

Politics has infected everything. No doubt it will play a part in NIL. FWIW the Tyson's in Arkansas are heavily into politics with ties to the demonic World Economic Forum. In fact they're setting up a bug protein factory supposedly to put in dog food but sooner or later that crap will be on your dinner table.

• Haha
May or may not be true. Thing is, players and coaches don’t have to support a political candidate, but that same candidate or the spouse have every right to no longer support that coach and their players in return.

So they are supposed to give money to NIL with zero return? How is that NIL then? That’s pay to play. These athletes were given the right to make money off their name. That usually involves endorsements or work. Otherwise, it’s pay for play.
The only return they should expect is good basketball. If craft tried to buy political influence then I’d say that makes him the villain in this story. I really hope this isn’t true.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
Let’s cut to the chase. Had she run as a Liberal Candidate, Cal would have given his blessing.
No, I don't think so and I believe your tune would have been wholly different if he (or anyone else at UK) had.

Beshear wouldn't be so crass and divisive to even ask.

Further, she was crap and kinda batcrap regardless of party.

Reactions: UKdondee
Boosters have the right to cut off funding if the Coach does something they dont like. I dont agree with the Craft's on some political views but that doesnt make them bad people.... and trying to make them villians is just like Cal's dark side nature and why its best he left. Phil Knight helped Cal get the UK job, asked Payne to come join our staff for Cal, helped us win a title , and Cal wouldnt do the PK events and made so many at Nike furious and burned bridges. I say this to show Cal has a narcissistic god tier habit of biting the hand that feeds

Yall are shooting so much bullshat out your arses but completely confident it is the truth. Amazing.

The GOP gov primary was in May 2023. I assure you, Cal has pissed off and run away a lot of high dollar doners YEARS before that.

He didn't run away like a coward because of lack of NIL funding! His dumbass didn't know how to use it! He still thought college basketball was 2012 and he could win with 6 true freshman one and doners.

Trying to make the Crafts who are so incredibly generous to our sports as the badguys is garbage trash.

Didn't MKG endorse Kelly Craft? I'm not a Kentuckian but thought I saw him do an ad supporting her? Maybe it was something she was pushing for individually as a cause she was supporting and not her campaign but swore that MKG did something on her behalf??

Doherty sharing Cal stories is interesting. He must have been in the Lobby at the Final Four getting the telephone version of things as often happens. That scene makes Trilly's Discord look like they have no info/rumors.

Always some truth in rumors but usually way off base and embellished.

Reactions: mebeblue2
I kind of see both sides of it. The crafts shouldn't be using players for their campaigns, and they shouldn't pull funding simply because Cal blocked this.

But I'm also pretty sure this isn't the first incident between the two over the years and Cal should have probably just not cared and let Oscar do as he pleases. In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal for either party.. should have let it go.
there was an episode of Cheers where Woody was going to endorse a healthy shake of some kind. Once he tasted, he refused to endorse it. If you are holding people hostage for money unless they agree to endorse something they don't agree with, I'm proud of the people that refuse to endorse. If Craft says, support my candidacy for Governor or no more money, I say take your money elsewhere.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Or it's simply Cal protecting his kids.
Uh huh. What a saint

The truth of his unraveling will slowly trickle out. That he was a greedy bastard who hated others getting money he thought belonged to him.

Like endorsement that flowed to Mark Stoops when he started winning in 2015. That's why Cal hated him & football. And Stoops is a hardass Youngstown boy who hated back twice as hard. Stoops made it his mission to become Joe & Kelly Crafts best friends.

Like NIL to players, Paul Miller Ford cash dries up for poor Cal. There will be tons of reports after the fact of big money NIL deals for bball players that got killed. All because Cal wanted to control who got what, or get it himself.

If that is truly what happened, we should all send him a thank you card for having the courage to do what Mitch didn't do.

Crazy how bullshit rumors find legs, across the country and into the mouths of guest speaking former coaches who have absolutely no knowledge of the actual situation. No offense to OP meant here for sharing this this story.
There are still a few remaining Cal worshipers who are more than willing to circulate his lies. Cal was given more than enough chances to get his crap together and he didn't. He should have been fired after his 9-16 season. The man sucks as a coach and I don't see it getting any better at Arkansas.

The NIL is between the player and who/what that player chooses to endorse. Its the sale of his or her likeness not the University or the coach. That's why there are companies set up to handle this and keep track. That's why players hire agents to handle their NIL contracts. Hell with Cal and hell with politics, that's the past. Going forward Pope needs to hire an assistant that specializes in NIL. Its the future of recruiting and like it or not the "big money" has to be kept happy.

No, I don't think so and I believe your tune would have been wholly different if he (or anyone else at UK) had.

Beshear wouldn't be so crass and divisive to even ask.

Further, she was crap and kinda batcrap regardless of party.
I never mentioned Beshear but since you did that’s just another reason why he’d never appear to be backing a conservative since he was firmly in Beshear’s corner. Ya think Cal will sit down and have dinner with Sarah Huckabee? 😂

Cal left because 1) he did not want Mitch to closely monitor him/restrict him 2) Mitch said no to Brad being hired 3) and he REALLY was feeling the heat this past season from BBN. He looked at his returning team/incoming freshman and realized this next year would be worse in all probability.

GO TO THE ARKANSAS BOARD TO CRY ABOUT THIS!!
Dude get a damn grip. I was referring to the fact that donors hated cal because he was destroying UK basketball and pulled nil which I totally agree with. I'm glad he's gone.

Crazy how bullshit rumors find legs, across the country and into the mouths of guest speaking former coaches who have absolutely no knowledge of the actual situation. No offense to OP meant here for sharing this this story.
Wait.... Do you have knowledge of the actual situation?

I have no idea on how true this story is about the Craft family and Cal but one thing everyone should remember;
No matter who, what the situation is or the circumstances, when you, a politician, coach, etc, takes money from someone there is almost certainty they will come one day and ask for a favor or expect a favor.

If this story is true about the Craft's and wanting to use Big O in some fashion for politically purposes, they did nothing different then what others do in situations like this.

NIL is just letting boosters into a program and they will at some point want something in return.

I think more credible sources have debunked this rumor (MJ?)

That being said, NIL money or not, they had enough talent to beat St Peters and Oakland.

I have a hard time believing this to be true. I lean towards this being Cal damage control. However, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if it were true.

If I were a coach at a public university, I would have an NIL policy in place prohibiting player involvement with politics. Not a single sate in this country is 100 percent red or blue, so alienating at least a portion of the fanbase is inevitable.

Furthermore, Craft finished a distant third in that primary and her ads resembled an SNL spoof of a conservative cartoon character.

I have a hard time believing this to be true. I lean towards this being Cal damage control. However, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if it were true.

If I were a coach at a public university, I would have an NIL policy in place prohibiting player involvement with politics. Not a single sate in this country is 100 percent red or blue, so alienating at least a portion of the fanbase is inevitable.

Furthermore, Craft finished a distant third in that primary and her ads resembled an SNL spoof of a conservative cartoon character.
you have to ask why Calipari said he loved the Governor of Kentucky at his Arkansas presser. I don't think he was riffing Lynrd Skynrd

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT