ADVERTISEMENT

Curious how some are feeling

The point is, UK fans ARE a bit entitled. And we ARE the most knowledgeable basketball fans in the country. But we have the vices of our virtues. Being knowledgeable makes us vulnerable to failure. It can really suck during years of futility. Maybe I should be more like those casual fans and not take this stuff so seriously/personally. I dunno. Pope is going to do whatever he's supposed to. Will he win a title? Who knows. I doubt it, but he is a Pitino grad. You never know.

I would take out the word "knowledgeable" and replace it with the word "passionate." Our fans are passionate and often irrationally passionate. We do have some very knowledgeable fans and that is one reason I have stayed on this board over the years. But, i have sometimes walked away to take a break because of the irrational passion that sometimes overtakes every single discussion.

Reactions: MegaBlue05 and Aike
I think you're bound to get irrational people when it comes to all sports teams.

We just have such a huge fanbase that there's bound to be more of those type as well lol

True but my point is that UK fans, as a general rule, are not all that knowledgeable. I think many of our fans would argue with a sign post. One of my favorite examples is when Tubby said he was considering redshirting Ramon Harris AFTER playing him in a game. When I posted that was not possible we ended up with a 4 page thread of people arguing with me. I posted the rule but still people argued. I finally contacted a friend in the UK compliance office and posted their reply to convince people that it wasn't possible to do a traditional redshirt AFTER a player had played in a game.

My point is that our fans are indeed irrationally passionate. I see it all the time on this board.

MdWildcat
ukcatz12
Jwukfan11 - left Team Cal in March, 2024
Leadbelly - troll
Philstat
Saxonburgcat
Jamalsunburn
ColdStoudbeer - likely troll
JLoad
UKbb4ever
Kybassfan
Spamburgerhamburger
Sejonesy
gracetoyou
saxonburgcat
JamesLee32
Wildcatfaninohio officially defected on March 26th, 2024
Chattanoogawildcat
Wildcatfanatic64
sk73
k14015
Jayce
Kybluedude
bluefaithful
JFCats
BBBLazing
Shodaman
MdIUK.1
cats#1again
Oboro3
gojvc
Deli Owl
BlueTick 2 - troll
Woodsmoke
NuthinbutNylon
jc4446
caneintally
HenryMuto
Dreadlox
ftp000
toeriver
Pasdfs07
247Cats
Toddadams1980
Omahacats - troll
Lempface - publicly defected from Team Cal on March 21st
Eight_banners - defected on April 12th, 2024
I was wondering if I was going to be on that list. lol

I made several criticisms of Cal over the years, but decided to hold out hope he might change right up until the Oakland game. He always brought in so much talent, it seemed feasible that one day it might be enough to overcome his mediocre bench coaching.

I was one of the last holdouts still thinking significant change might be possible, but Oakland was my final breaking point.

As for Pope, I still hate the process we used to land him, but he obviously has a ton of potential as a coach. He genuinely wants to be here, and now that he's officially our guy, I'm going to support him 100%.

I was one of the last holdouts still thinking significant change might be possible, but Oakland was my final breaking point.
Same here. Interestingly, Coach K and Cal were both in the E8 in 19. Both went 25-6 when the tournament was cancelled in 20. Then in 21, K went 13-11 while Cal went 9-16. If the top coach in the game is struggling, I guess it didn't seem so bad that Cal is struggling to me.

Then in 22, Cal lost to St. Peters (who then beat WKU and Purdue) while K went to the FF before retiring. At this point, to me, it still seemed logical that we had fallen but would get back up.

23 we go out in the second round and then lose to Oakland in 24. At that point, I threw in the towel.

You're not really allowed to be negative on here but here is what I got:
Feels like I just went back to Tubby Smith land. Ricky P all happy. 30 year ago players happy.
Im worried as hell. Anxious to see recruiting results.
Anxious to see who leaves or returns.
Anxious to see who Pope's assistants are.

Worried young players nowadays play for the coach or MONEY not the school.
g
Gratitude to play for Kentucky aint going to play well or work in recruiting.

And lastly I'm just wondering why I didn't see a single Calipary player at that whole thing just now? I love our recent players. The whole thing rubbed me wrong..
The greatest players in the NBA play for Kentucky right now. But none of them there 😪

I really really liked ‘like’ Cal.
I won’t wish him any ill at Arkansas unless he plays us.
I also really really like this hire.
It will take a year or two to get used to the talent stream but I’m welcoming it.
I want the old Uk back, even most Cal loyalist should’ve recognized he had faults and he wouldn’t change which was frustrating but I Joe he comes back in 5-6 years as AD or ambassador and keeps his hands on us somewhat. I want Pope to win, and hope he does it quick for his sake but I’ll be patient with him. He was a Cat and wanted to be here, which Is the biggest quality I wanted in the next coach, someone who wants to be here.

I was wondering how some of the biggest Cal supporters, like @UKBB4Ever are feeling about the Pope hire.

I know he was adamant that Cal wasn’t going to be leaving for a long time, while many of us thought the clock was ticking.

Not calling him out. Genuinely curious what he thinks of Pope. I know he played college basketball and has spent a lot of time traveling to support the team.

Any others huge Cal supporters who want to chime in with opinions are more than welcome, of course.
I haven’t seen UKBball that I recall since Cal lost to Oakland.

Reactions: CELTICAT
MdWildcat
ukcatz12
Jwukfan11 - left Team Cal in March, 2024
Leadbelly - troll
Philstat
Saxonburgcat
Jamalsunburn
ColdStoudbeer - likely troll
JLoad
UKbb4ever
Kybassfan
Spamburgerhamburger
Sejonesy
gracetoyou
saxonburgcat
JamesLee32
Wildcatfaninohio officially defected on March 26th, 2024
Chattanoogawildcat
Wildcatfanatic64
sk73
k14015
Jayce
Kybluedude
bluefaithful
JFCats
BBBLazing
Shodaman
MdIUK.1
cats#1again
Oboro3
gojvc
Deli Owl
BlueTick 2 - troll
Woodsmoke
NuthinbutNylon
jc4446
caneintally
HenryMuto
Dreadlox
ftp000
toeriver
Pasdfs07
247Cats
Toddadams1980
Omahacats - troll
Lempface - publicly defected from Team Cal on March 21st
Eight_banners - defected on April 12th, 2024
This is the cal cult?

I will say I was part of the clan who thought there wasn’t a chance Cal would leave without his payout. So some of the guys who supported Cal and hoping he would be back next year and I sat in the same boat on that issue.

You're not really allowed to be negative on here but here is what I got:
Feels like I just went back to Tubby Smith land. Ricky P all happy. 30 year ago players happy.
Im worried as hell. Anxious to see recruiting results.
Anxious to see who leaves or returns.
Anxious to see who Pope's assistants are.

Worried young players nowadays play for the coach or MONEY not the school.
g
Gratitude to play for Kentucky aint going to play well or work in recruiting.

And lastly I'm just wondering why I didn't see a single Calipary player at that whole thing just now? I love our recent players. The whole thing rubbed me wrong..
The greatest players in the NBA play for Kentucky right now. But none of them there 😪
NBA guys had games today.

I loved Cal. Hope Pope has more success. Pope has big shoes to fill. I'll pull for the Cats no matter who is the coach. A little disappointed we didn't get the sexy hire, we was all hoping for. Have accepted and feel good we hired Pope. Looking forward to him to getting us back where we belong.

I never loved Cal. For me it was more about what can he do for us while he was more about what can you do for me. There was always that disconnect.

Reactions: CROCAT
Well, I'm kinda surprised I'm not on that list. I supported Calipari until the end of this season. I think my support was more about supporting the UK coach than supporting a man. I will admit, I was blinded to his biggest faults. I just wanted peace in the fanbase and wanted the team to do well. I justified the post covid debacle. I tried to believe the St Peter's loss was a fluke. I was very irritated with the Kansas St loss and stopped posting as much for a while. The 2023-24 team got me back in and invested and willing to give Cal another chance. The loss to Oakland was the final straw. My conclusion was that Calipari lost something along the way, perhaps his passion for UK and BBN, the UK athletic director and department, I'm not sure but I concluded that he was obviously done at UK. 4 seasons of unacceptable results. You can only make excuses for so long. Some here were upset with me saying Cal should be done because I didn't say it sooner.

As for the Pope hire, my first reaction was that it was a joke. When I realized it was legitimate, I was angry about it to be honest. I wasn't mad at Pope. I was mad at Barnhart. It felt like Pope was his #3 choice. I'm not 100% sure that is true, but it felt that way. And truthfully, I haven't followed Pope's coaching career closely enough to know how good a coach he will be. My estimation was that he might be among the top 10-15 candidates.

Now, after letting it sink in that Pope is the coach, checking on and catching up with him, watching some team's highlights, listening to guys like Kelvin Sampson talking about his style, and listening to other coaches trying to figure out how to defend BYU, and struggling with it, and mainly listening to Pope talking about UK, his love for the university, his love for the fans, and realizing the limitations he had recruiting at BYU (they require players to sign agreements to not have sex, not drink any alcohol, and requiring them to take a Mormon mission for 2 years), I have changed my tune. I'm still not sure Barnhart should have picked Pope so quickly, but I am excited about many different things Pope may bring. And I may be most excited to be rid of some of Calipari's biggest flaws because Pope is the exact opposite of Cal in so many ways. I'm excited about guys playing for what's printed on the front of the jersey again. So, I'm gonna support him. Let's go. 👍😀
You were never a Cal over UK poster though. You supported Cal because you wanted UK to win, like me you hoped he would fix things and the offense this year gave us hope. In the end he was the same old Cal and it was time to go. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: IL Wildcat
Have been feeling like this since he was offered and accepted.. one of our own has come home!
lets-go-ready.gif

I haven’t posted here since the loss in the SEC tournament about basketball. I did post Owensboro restaurant recommendations the week after.

But since you specifically asked me I will answer. But first, not posting here anymore has nothing to do with Cal. Or the personal attacks made to me.

I came to this site because I’m a UK fan and to discuss UK.

When I saw posters hoping UK would lose I knew I was not among UK fans. One in particular said he hoped we lost the first game of the SEC and the first game of the NCAA. Well, I guess he’s one happy camper now?

I was a Cal fan because he was our coach. And a damn good coach.

But I have been saying for years, including on here, that Cal should leave UK. Not because of coaching. Because of the “players first” mantra. I don’t hold that against Cal. He said that from day 1 and never wavered. No matter the outcome or criticism he stayed true to that. I admire him for that. But he can do that elsewhere. I want a program first coach even if he is not as good as Cal.

I did say that Cal would coach here until he was 70 or so and move on to retirement.

Things change. I am privy to some things that went into his leaving. I don’t know that I cannot share those things but I will not.

It’s nothing like what’s been said here and other media outlets. Not even close. The only surprise to me was that he went to Arkansas.

My former business partner is best friends with Cal. I got to go to Canada last summer because of that.

He is more shocked than me that’s it’s there. No shocked at all that Cal left. In fact, he told me 3 or 4 days before it went down to expect Cal to leave. I thought he meant Cal would retire.

The NIL stories you hear are just not true. My company participated heavily in NIL so I know exactly how it worked. We gave general monies but we really used two players for advertising. One current. One former.

I sold my company so I do not have a say in that now. I did encourage the new owners to continue that relationship thru the season and they did. Will they going forward? I don’t know. My guess is they will.

They do not have Ky ties other than buying a Ky based company. But the UK ties have been for business and they are good business people. I can’t imagine they won’t.

As for me, I’m a die hard UK basketball fan and will always be.

I’ve been to every FF UK has played in since 1978 and would have been in Phoenix this year.

I Pope to be in SanAntonio next year. I will definitely be in Nashville for the SEC. Now that I’ve sold my company I will probably make some more games next season. I haven’t seen a schedule yet so I don’t know where some good games might be.

As for Pope, I was a huge fan when he played here. Very smart guy too.

He’s done a good job coaching where he’s been. I love that he is true blue and that he loves this program almost as much as a born Kentuckian.

Mitch always intended to hire Pope one day. He didn’t know the day would come this soon.

I’m 100% behind Pope. I hope he wins every game.

The question is recruiting. No one knows how well he will recruit in these times. Things are different now. As great a recruiter as Cal is he was having trouble fitting the pieces of the new world order together.

Pope is younger and certainly in tune to how a high level player thinks because he was one. That should excite UK fans.

As for Cal. I hold no ill will for him. I won’t follow Ak basketball anymore than I do now. If I were to talk to him I would wish him well except when he plays us.

I am friends with Bruce Pearl. That’s what I tell him, I hope you win all your games except against UK.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Go Big Blue!!🏀
You never posted anything I remember that remotely suggested you were a UK over Cal fan. In fact most of your stuff was so ridiculous that I assumed you were related to Cal.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
The thing even with Dilly and Reed not starting is was Cal intentionally trying to lose games by doing that? I don’t believe that for a second. I really believe that Cal did that thinking it was better for the entire team doing so.
He did it to show everyone he was the boss.

To be honest I’m pumped… 💯 in…. I’m ready to ride….

That said…. I’m feeling bad. I wanted Cal to Soooo. Retire here….. be great have the new coach / Joe B Hall Cal had with him….

That said I’m glad Cal is gone….i am so glad he is gone……..
That said I will always appreciate his good times…. Good Cal is UK…..

I haven’t posted here since the loss in the SEC tournament about basketball. I did post Owensboro restaurant recommendations the week after.

But since you specifically asked me I will answer. But first, not posting here anymore has nothing to do with Cal. Or the personal attacks made to me.

When I saw posters hoping UK would lose I knew I was not among UK fans. One in particular said he hoped we lost the first game of the SEC and the first game of the NCAA. Well, I guess he’s one happy camper now?

But I have been saying for years, including on here, that Cal should leave UK. Not because of coaching. Because of the “players first” mantra. I don’t hold that against Cal. He said that from day 1 and never wavered. No matter the outcome or criticism he stayed true to that. I admire him for that. But he can do that elsewhere. I want a program first coach even if he is not as good as Cal.

I did say that Cal would coach here until he was 70 or so and move on to retirement.

Things change. I am privy to some things that went into his leaving. I don’t know that I cannot share those things but I will not.

It’s nothing like what’s been said here and other media outlets. Not even close. The only surprise to me was that he went to Arkansas.

My former business partner is best friends with Cal. I got to go to Canada last summer because of that.

He is more shocked than me that’s it’s there. No shocked at all that Cal left. In fact, he told me 3 or 4 days before it went down to expect Cal to leave. I thought he meant Cal would retire.

The NIL stories you hear are just not true. My company participated heavily in NIL so I know exactly how it worked. We gave general monies but we really used two players for advertising. One current. One former.

I sold my company so I do not have a say in that now. I did encourage the new owners to continue that relationship thru the season and they did. Will they going forward? I don’t know. My guess is they will.

They do not have Ky ties other than buying a Ky based company. But the UK ties have been for business and they are good business people. I can’t imagine they won’t.

I’ve been to every FF UK has played in since 1978 and would have been in Phoenix this year.

I Pope to be in SanAntonio next year. I will definitely be in Nashville for the SEC. Now that I’ve sold my company I will probably make some more games next season. I haven’t seen a schedule yet so I don’t know where some good games might be.

He’s done a good job coaching where he’s been. I love that he is true blue and that he loves this program almost as much as a born Kentuckian.

Mitch always intended to hire Pope one day. He didn’t know the day would come this soon.

The question is recruiting. No one knows how well he will recruit in these times. Things are different now. As great a recruiter as Cal is he was having trouble fitting the pieces of the new world order together.

Pope is younger and certainly in tune to how a high level player thinks because he was one. That should excite UK fans.

As for Cal. I hold no ill will for him. I won’t follow Ak basketball anymore than I do now. If I were to talk to him I would wish him well except when he plays us.

I am friends with Bruce Pearl. That’s what I tell him, I hope you win all your games except against UK.

Go Big Blue!!🏀
I’ve never doubted you were a UK fan and even thought some of the things you said were correct. But you said MANY TIMES that the only people that were tired of Cal , negative about him , or wanted him gone were people on this board. I live and carry on my day to day activities right here in Lexington and Central Kentucky. Talk to hundreds of UK fans , maybe thousands. You couldn’t have been more wrong about that. Maybe you were “insulated “ from it or just wouldn’t see it . But you were wrong.

Go Big Blue!!🏀
There are very few posters on this board that hoped we lost, ever, much less the first SECT and NCAAT game. I very seriously doubt you stopped posting here for that reason. You were adamant cal would be here until he retired and he was still one of the best coaches in the game today. You were dead wrong on both accounts. Sometimes it is easier to cut bait instead of facing the music. I do commend you for answering the call to the thread though and appreciate your take but still disagree about cal as a coach. I’d be interested to hear the privy info you have behind the reason he left one day though if you choose to stay here and continue posting, even if after some time has passed. Glad to see you are a UK fan though, had my doubts but I take your post here at face value.

I was not as disappointed with the hiring of Pope as most. I liked the hire for all the reasons that most of BBN has now around too but admittedly was caught off guard about his hiring so early in the process. I think he is going to be great here. He already has us feeling like KY basketball again. I wanted cal here for a long time, had no idea we would become the university of calipari and yesterday was an amazing breath of fresh air. I feel like it is the 1990’s again. I hope against all hope that coach Pope can replicate even a small portion of the 90’s success. I’m confident he will. Go Big Blue!!!!!

we won't agree on this.

as for Tubby, he at least implemented a reward system for players saying whoever worked the hardest earned the spot. They won 3 of the 4 games doing that after coming off 3 straight losses

I think its hard to argue Tubby didn't want to shake things up.
Gimmicks often work once or twice. It was just plain idiotic to keep starting the best practice players and not the best players. Fundamental basketball wins over the long run. That year we finished unranked and barely slipped in to the tournament, losing in the second round.

Reactions: Fox2monk
True but my point is that UK fans, as a general rule, are not all that knowledgeable. I think many of our fans would argue with a sign post. One of my favorite examples is when Tubby said he was considering redshirting Ramon Harris AFTER playing him in a game. When I posted that was not possible we ended up with a 4 page thread of people arguing with me. I posted the rule but still people argued. I finally contacted a friend in the UK compliance office and posted their reply to convince people that it wasn't possible to do a traditional redshirt AFTER a player had played in a game.

My point is that our fans are indeed irrationally passionate. I see it all the time on this board.
Your personal anecdote notwithstanding, UK fans by and large are more knowledgeable than fans of other schools. Examples: UK fans rightly criticized the overuse of Saul Smith over Hawkins. UK fans also rightly criticized the overuse of Edwards and DJ over Rob and Reed. UK fans correctly predicted that Sharpe would never play a minute here. They also predicted Cal would never win another title after 2015.

I’ve never doubted you were a UK fan and even thought some of the things you said were correct. But you said MANY TIMES that the only people that were tired of Cal , negative about him , or wanted him gone were people on this board. I live and carry on my day to day activities right here in Lexington and Central Kentucky. Talk to hundreds of UK fans , maybe thousands. You couldn’t have been more wrong about that. Maybe you were “insulated “ from it or just wouldn’t see it . But you were wrong.
He also said Reeves would ride the pine all season last year.

Go Big Blue!!🏀
Classic misdirection post. You ignore any of the NUMEROUS CORRECT CRITICISMS of you and instead go on a self-serving rant about what an amazing person you think you are. Absolutely PATHETIC. You're nothing but a fraud and a troll.

He also said Reeves would ride the pine all season last year.
Had forgotten that about him but you are correct. Tried telling anyone who would listen that reeves would be playing cigar victory minutes only and would be the worst guard on the team 😂. Guy is truly a clown. That is how I commented on most of his post, with nothing but a 🤡. Doubt we ever see him post on this board again.

Reactions: Mike-McD
Gimmicks often work once or twice. It was just plain idiotic to keep starting the best practice players and not the best players. Fundamental basketball wins over the long run. That year we finished unranked and barely slipped in to the tournament, losing in the second round.
I don't think it was a gimmick. Rondo is/was notorious for being head strong and telling coaches he knew better than them. Clearly Rondo wasn't on board with what Tubby was doing.

---------------------------------------------------

Rondo spent two years at Kentucky coached by Tubby Smith, averaging 25 minutes as a freshman and 31 the following year. But even then, he and his head coach butted heads. This is from an incredible Rondo profile by Baxter Holmes in the Boston Globe.

In reality, Smith never gave Rondo much authority at all, and the two clashed often, with Smith benching Rondo for six games.
Rondo clashed with other coaches, including Bibby, who said when they'd argue, Rondo would defend his decision on the court, and Bibby would counter with the fact that he could see what happened from the sideline.
Doug Bibby was his high school basketball coach and math teacher. He trusted Rondo and saw his knowledge enough to have him run part of the team's practice one year when Bibby's infant son was in ICU, and the team ran just as hard with Rondo in charge as they did with Bibby.

Rondo became Bibby's assistant, helping break down tape and develop game plans. He also confided to Bibby that, after his playing career is over, he wants to become a head coach.
But even in high school, Rondo clashed with Bibby on the court at the times. Once more from the Globe story:

"But Bib, I'm on the court, I feel the game because I'm playing," Rondo would say.
" ‘My insight is better than yours' - that's what he was basically telling me," Bibby said.

-----------

you can call it a gimmick, I call it a coaching move to either motivate a talented but headstrong player to get on board with what the team was doing or cut his minutes so he'd get someone in there that would. At the end of the day I honestly believe Tubby was trying to put the best team out on the court.

I'll never say that of Calipari

Last edited:
I'll never say that of Calipari
Thanks for a well thought out reply. I guess at the end of the day we will have to agree to disagree.

My last comment is that neither Tubby or Calipari was willing to make the necessary changes and both resorted to idiotic coaching moves. Neither put UK first and made that known. Neither retired here. Both moved on and I am thankful that they did.

As a side not, one of Tubby's problems was trying to somehow provide a job for Saul. He wanted him on staff at UK, had him on staff at Minny, Texas Tech (albeit a minor role) and then Memphis. My friends in Memphis were irate at Saul's comments about recruiting and I think that contributed to Tubby being shown the door and his DUI at Minny may have also contributed to Tubby's departure.

Now, at least, I think we have a coach who isn't just a mercenary looking for a big paycheck or to further the interests of his own family to the detriment of the program. I am looking forward to what Mark Pope will accomplish here.

Your personal anecdote notwithstanding, UK fans by and large are more knowledgeable than fans of other schools. Examples: UK fans rightly criticized the overuse of Saul Smith over Hawkins. UK fans also rightly criticized the overuse of Edwards and DJ over Rob and Reed. UK fans correctly predicted that Sharpe would never play a minute here. They also predicted Cal would never win another title after 2015.
In fairness, most of those examples were obvious to just about anyone with basic basketball knowledge. Using those kinds of examples I would add in UK posters telling others if you didn't see the star potential of Jared Carter, you were clueless. Or how about a majority of this board saying Minny would go to a FF before UK when Tubby left or how Tubby would turn Minny into a consistent E8/Sweet 16 team, etc.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT