ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Dykes last night

FanofUK

Freshman
Feb 7, 2006
Felt like he ignored several obvious no calls against us last night.

The supposed SCREEN the guy had on Z where he threw him to the ground and Dykes said he just set a man screen, When Z went for a rebound and got knocked out Dykes said nothing to why Z actually missed the rebound. Several drives to the basket and we got no calls and he just acted as if this was normal.

Last edited:
This is the first time I’ve seen anyone accuse Jimmy Dykes of being biased against UK. I’ve see the accusation lodged against virtually every other ESPN guy, but never Dykes …until now.

He was always the guy looked upon as ESPN’s resident UK homer. It was the reason we always forgave the dopey or dumb things he said …”hey, at least he likes UK.”

Go on any sports board during just about any random game and you can almost universally find people who think the announcers hate their team… sometimes from both sides of the same game. The national broadcast crews are supposed to be neutral , which in practice means they do a lot of praising/hyping both teams at various points in a game. Just because they don’t give the completely one-sided homer takes that echo chambers full of dedicated fans like this tend to produce doesn’t mean they have something against your team.

Some of our fans are snowflakes. Just turn down the sound for the games if you can't take the announcers.

Reactions: Soupbean
I think if Dykes could, he’d openly cheer for UK. He’s goofy, but you can tell he respects UK, but he does have a job and I think he just loves bball. So he’s going like hustle plays for whoever.

Watching other SEC games he calls and he is always complimentary to Kentucky. Dykes has always been 99% positive of Kentucky basketball.

Reactions: westerncat
Dikes is an Arkansas guy. He played there.

I don’t know if he biased for or against anyone. But his dookie v wannabe act is tiresome.

Reactions: shodaman
Jimmy mainly goes with the flow.

Early in the game he said Reeves had one of the best floaters in the league. By the end of the game, he was saying Reeves had THE very best floater in the SEC! 🤣

Honestly I just don't think most of these guys pay close enough attention to what is going on in the games. I've been synching up Tom and Jack lately and it's refreshing to hear some detail.

Bad Call

This is what I am talking about, 4 backs into AR and still AR did not touch him and Dykes said we got there late.

I think a lot of times the announcers saying stupid things about plays is because they don't have a good view of things. I think we get much better views from cameras than they do from the scorers table. I've seen several times where they will talk about a foul like someone got their head taken off and the replay shows almost no contact at all. I think live from the scorers table they just don't have a good look at many plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonCats
This is the first time I’ve seen anyone accuse Jimmy Dykes of being biased against UK. I’ve see the accusation lodged against virtually every other ESPN guy, but never Dykes …until now.

He was always the guy looked upon as ESPN’s resident UK homer. It was the reason we always forgave the dopey or dumb things he said …”hey, at least he likes UK.”
I haven’t liked him since he relentlessly trashed James Young in 2014.

Reactions: michaeluk26
More to the point, who does anyone like? That's social media. Much more fun to be negative.

I haven’t liked him since he relentlessly trashed James Young in 2014.
But I think he was truly accurate on Young being a terrible passer and the worst in the SEC, for a while. But the amount of times he did was beyond ridiculous.

Every year dykes gets paid to come speak to a national referee convention. So he's going to be easy on those guys.

I don't understand UK fans obsession with hating dykes. He does a good job and he's the only pro UK guy at that level out there.

He’s the most pro UofK announcer and he didn’t comment on several missed calls.

These two things can both be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT