ADVERTISEMENT

Rob went nuclear but…

Wonky

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
… Z was just as important if not moreso during those final minutes, due to his DEFENSE and REBOUNDING!!!

Somewhere around the 6:00 mark, Rob had pulled us to within 3. Then Mitchell comes down and chucks a horrible 3 early in the shot clock. Brick. Arkansas goes the other way and has a straight line drive to the rim until Z challenges it at the last second, forcing the dude to go left hand and whiff on the layup. I couldn’t believe he missed. We were very lucky tbh, but Z did contest it. IMO this was the most important play of the game. Arkansas hits that layup and they go back up five. A little later, he again contests several more layups which the Hogs all miss, as well as grabbing practically every defensive rebound. Those stops/rebounds were the ballgame. His alley oops were just icing on the cake!!!

… Z was just as important if not moreso during those final minutes, due to his DEFENSE and REBOUNDING!!!

Somewhere around the 6:00 mark, Rob had pulled us to within 3. Then Mitchell comes down and chucks a horrible 3 early in the shot clock. Brick. Arkansas goes the other way and has a straight line drive to the rim until Z challenges it at the last second, forcing the dude to go left hand and whiff on the layup. I couldn’t believe he missed. We were very lucky tbh, but Z did contest it. IMO this was the most important play of the game. Arkansas hits that layup and they go back up five. A little later, he again contests several more layups which the Hogs all miss, as well as grabbing practically every defensive rebound. Those stops/rebounds were the ballgame. His alley oops were just icing on the cake!!!
Yep, Z was fantastic. He has truly earned increased minutes and deserves to get the bulk of the 5 minutes. His pick and roll action with Rob is working quite well now.

Funny to think how just two weeks ago you had posters on here saying Z was unplayable due to his defense. Those arguing (myself included) in Z’s defense (no pun intended) merely stated he just needed to see game minutes to get up to speed. He wasn’t going to get better watching and alas here we are!!!!!

Edwards seems to be finding his game at the right time. I’m loving it. Kid kept working, went out every time to pressers even if we lost or had a bad game. Never had a bad attitude. I’m so proud of him.
Totally agree man. I'm so proud of him. Kid never pouted for a second. Kept cheering for his teammates. Put in more work in the gym and here we are. Those two buckets he hit down the stretch against Arkansas essentially sealed the game.

Funny to think how just two weeks ago you had posters on here saying Z was unplayable due to his defense. Those arguing (myself included) in Z’s defense (no pun intended) merely stated he just needed to see game minutes to get up to speed. He wasn’t going to get better watching and alas here we are!!!!!
Yeah, I was making a similar argument for why Z wasn't getting as many minutes despite his obvious offensive advantages over others. But I did also blame the NCAA for robbing him of the game minutes that would have made such a huge difference for him and the team. I just had no idea he could learn what was needed as quickly as he has. You've gotta give Z a lot of credit (and those who have been working with him) for how much he has improved in such a short time. In the first games he played, he looked lost at times on defense. But watching him in these last few games, he's getting it and he's getting it quickly. Along with several other guys on this roster, he seems to be hitting his stride at just the right moment.

We’ve heard for years about Cal yelling at guys and hurting their feelings. This dude either doesn’t understand Cal or doesn’t care and always looks happy to me.

That’s what makes him unique and valuable in my opinion (other than being 7 feet with lots of skills).

It's sports, friend. Allow people to live in the moment, and comment on the moment. Not everything has to be scrutinized a thousand years down the road. If you're living in the moment as a fan, it's almost impossible to be objective and clear-sighted all the time.

Reactions: WilmoreCat

Yes Z was great, also Rob was off the charts, AB loomed large in the first half and Edwards finished the game like a winner, Reeves got his usual quiet 20. Great team effort

Yeah, I was making a similar argument for why Z wasn't getting as many minutes despite his obvious offensive advantages over others. But I did also blame the NCAA for robbing him of the game minutes that would have made such a huge difference for him and the team. I just had no idea he could learn what was needed as quickly as he has. You've gotta give Z a lot of credit

I just want to see Dillingham, Sheppard, Reeves and Big Z on the court as much as possible...
To Il -- Yeah a certain head coach robbed him of valuable playing time as well. And cost us wins in the process Its unfathomable Cal buried this guy after the Ga game. And buried him deep. And I would argue Z has not swallowed some magic pill that made him" learn" defense .. it was there all along , he needed just a few games to get in the flow , but Cal took weeks to give him much chance after the Ga game .. even having the staff complain " He was out of position a lot in the Ga game " LOL , just LOL . Crazy has Cal thought Ugo was better than Z . Heck he still runs Ugo out there to start games . Insanity .

Yo Old fan .. you and the rest of the state , but with Mitch back, Wag shooting 68 % from 3 ( I jest) and Bradshaw playing well last game I look for less and less of the nuclear 5 on the floor , ultimately it may cost us a FF or a chance at the title .

We’ve heard for years about Cal yelling at guys and hurting their feelings. This dude either doesn’t understand Cal or doesn’t care and always looks happy to me.

That’s what makes him unique and valuable in my opinion (other than being 7 feet with lots of skills).
Cal yells at his players? Oh tell me he isn't cursing too. Coaches normally have a calm and composed demeanor. 😆

It's sports, friend. Allow people to live in the moment, and comment on the moment. Not everything has to be scrutinized a thousand years down the road. If you're living in the moment as a fan, it's almost impossible to be objective and clear-sighted all the time.
I’m sorry but anyone who knows anything about basketball and is more of your average fan knew the potential that Big Z had and what it would mean for this team. The fact our HOF coach was not taking advantage of that deserved scrutiny.

Arkansas didn’t know what to do with Dillingham and Z in pick and roll. They were feasting. Hope to see that more.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
I’m sorry but anyone who knows anything about basketball and is more of your average fan knew the potential that Big Z had and what it would mean for this team. The fact our HOF coach was not taking advantage of that deserved scrutiny.
And after scrutiny I’d bet you find that the kid was not up to speed on what his teammates were doing and needed more practice. Neither malice nor incompetence.

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
I hope Cal realized what he has with Rob and Z together running a pick n roll. It is potentially UK's best option because Rob can get by 95% of NCAA defenders and Z is 7'3" with agility and great hands, so it's a pick your poison scenario to exploit for sure.

Every single player on UK's roster is flawed defensively, so I could care less when Z gets burned. He needs to be out there for his vision, NBA-level passing, height/rebounding/dunking/alley oop chances, and the occasional three (which I wish he would shoot more often). The guards gets smoked all the time! All of them. There are so many clips online / Twitter of UK's defensive plays getting broken down and analyzed - no one is safe (Reeves, Shep, Wagner, Rob, Edwards, Ugo, et al.) - they all make mistakes that show they haven't been taught fundamentals at all, and just relied on athleticism and God-given talent to get where they are.

Simple stuff we teach at the Boys & Girls Club recreational level when it comes to defense, UK's players just do not do. Edwards stands straight up and is a true matador defender on the wings. The pick n roll defense is collectively some of the worst you'll ever see by a team and that's on Cal and the coaching staff. Hedging is less than half-assed, sprinting back to recover NEVER occurs .... it's so lazy it's insane. Makes you wonder if it's just the over-confidence in the offense ....

And after scrutiny I’d bet you find that the kid was not up to speed on what his teammates were doing and needed more practice. Neither malice nor incompetence.
Z certainly missed some practice time due mainly to physical heath reasons/sickness but he has been practicing since October. All of this just didn’t begin 6 weeks ago before the Georgia game. If he was unprepared that is due to coaching as he has been available to be prepared since October. Cal didn’t play him because of defense when the entire team has stunk on defense all year. Z has been playing ball for awhile, he’s not new to the game, rather the American college aspect of it. He had to play and be able to adapt. He never played in a game for multiple minutes where he was completely lost the entire time, he adjusted as the game went. He certainly looked bad when inserted for :30 or a minute and was immediately pulled which cal came very close to doing against bama. Had he pulled him then and bama game didn’t happen it’s quite likely the last two games don’t happen either. I know you are take up for cal at all cost so I don’t expect you to see things as they are.

Z certainly missed some practice time due mainly to physical heath reasons/sickness but he has been practicing since October. All of this just didn’t begin 6 weeks ago before the Georgia game. If he was unprepared that is due to coaching as he has been available to be prepared since October. Cal didn’t play him because of defense when the entire team has stunk on defense all year. Z has been playing ball for awhile, he’s not new to the game, rather the American college aspect of it. He had to play and be able to adapt. He never played in a game for multiple minutes where he was completely lost the entire time, he adjusted as the game went. He certainly looked bad when inserted for :30 or a minute and was immediately pulled which cal came very close to doing against bama. Had he pulled him then and bama game didn’t happen it’s quite likely the last two games don’t happen either. I know you are take up for cal at all cost so I don’t expect you to see things as they are.
There was some utterance from the NCAA that made them halt having Z in practices. I don't know how long that persisted. His conditioning is obviously not up to snuff -- you can see him running bent and almost shuffling down the court. He's improving, but the idea that he could practice for a couple of weeks and then fit in seamlessly is a fantasy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT