ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Feldhaus transferring to Madison Central

St X recruited our HS hard. They won a state title in baseball my soph year. They had 3 starters that I grew up with. Amazing how those Catholic schools never have to worry about recruiting rules.
Private schools should have their own league. A school like St X or Trinity can come in and offer a kid a scholarship and meal vouchers for their cafeteria.

Meanwhile public schools can’t do that. Sure kids can get meal vouchers but only if their family qualifies with the state since it’s essentially the same as handing out food stamps.

It makes no sense why they are allowed to compete in the same league as public schools.

Private schools should have their own league. A school like St X or Trinity can come in and offer a kid a scholarship and meal vouchers for their cafeteria.

Meanwhile public schools can’t do that. Sure kids can get meal vouchers but only if their family qualifies with the state since it’s essentially the same as handing out food stamps.

It makes no sense why they are allowed to compete in the same league as public schools.

That’s why I love it when a school like PRP beats their ass.

If you receive more than 25% of merit based aid at a private school, you can't participate in KHSAA sports. If you receive "need based" assistance, it has to be equally divided based upon need to all students, not just athletes. Private schools do not give athletes "scholarships" as is often claimed. Public schools recruit, and their enrollment is free. I think it is unfair to criticize people that are working their ass off to afford their kids to go to a private school to better themselves by saying that their kid is getting scholarships just because they don't "look like they can afford it." I know of multiple students, one of my grandkids particularly, that had to turn down an academic gift for being the top incoming freshman based upon placement tests so that they could maintain athletic eligibility.

• Haha
Reactions: BlueWhite21
If you receive more than 25% of merit based aid at a private school, you can't participate in KHSAA sports. If you receive "need based" assistance, it has to be equally divided based upon need to all students, not just athletes. Private schools do not give athletes "scholarships" as is often claimed. Public schools recruit, and their enrollment is free. I think it is unfair to criticize people that are working their ass off to afford their kids to go to a private school to better themselves by saying that their kid is getting scholarships just because they don't "look like they can afford it." I know of multiple students, one of my grandkids particularly, that had to turn down an academic gift for being the top incoming freshman based upon placement tests so that they could maintain athletic eligibility.
It's odd to me that a kid that live across the river in Indiania can play for St. X in football get a full ride to a power 5 program and the KHSAA said not a word, and that's fact. The kid got a full ride to Boston College, it been several years ago. Ever look to see how many of these players don't live anywhere near the school they attend. It's not just Catholic schools, just tske a look at Beechwood andnhow many live out of their school district.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
If you receive more than 25% of merit based aid at a private school, you can't participate in KHSAA sports. If you receive "need based" assistance, it has to be equally divided based upon need to all students, not just athletes. Private schools do not give athletes "scholarships" as is often claimed. Public schools recruit, and their enrollment is free. I think it is unfair to criticize people that are working their ass off to afford their kids to go to a private school to better themselves by sayingthat their kid is getting scholarships just because they don't "look like they can afford it." I know of multiple students, one of my grandkids particularly, that had to turn down an academic gift for being the top incoming freshman based upon placement tests so that they could maintain athletic eligibility.
I stopped when you said “private schools don’t offer scholarships…”

They do. I was offered one. Maybe it’s not called an athletic scholarship but that’s just syntax. If they want a player and that player qualifies for an academic scholarship then they’ll get that scholarship.

Who’s determining who does and doesn’t NEED assistance? Seems subject to corruption.

Public schools do recruit. Never said they didn’t. If you feel I did I’d have to ask for the quote. My point is they have nothing to offer a player they are recruiting that they cannot give every other student.

I’m not really sure what your argument is about fairness and scholarships but as a general rule I think all scholarships should be merit based. I don’t think anyone should be included or excluded from receiving a scholarship based on their appearance including, but not limited to, how poor or rich they look. The only exception I have for that is I don’t think it’s right to offer a scholarship to someone who comes from a rich family. And part of me feels that’s wrong but I just don’t see the utility in giving Brad Calipari or Bronny James a full ride to college.

25% is a helluva saving on private school tuition. I had a cousin who received a letter for a scholarship while attending Alabama and when he went to collect they told him it was sent to him in error and that only black students are eligible for that scholarship.

It sounds like your grandson was turned down because of a rule designed to protect fairness in high school sports. Not because he looked rich. At least from how you described the situation.

I’m only left one question: what do you have against private schools having their own league? If private schools want to issue scholarships then I say let them. But let them compete against other private schools and let public schools compete against public. Maybe have one game against the champion of each league at the end of the year if the private schools are really that upset that they can’t punch down.

They do. I was offered one. Maybe it’s not called an athletic scholarship but that’s just syntax. If they want a player and that player qualifies for an academic scholarship then they’ll get that scholarship.

Who’s determining who does and doesn’t NEED assistance? Seems subject to corruption.

Public schools do recruit. Never said they didn’t. If you feel I did I’d have to ask for the quote. My point is they have nothing to offer a player they are recruiting that they cannot give every other student.

I’m not really sure what your argument is about fairness and scholarships but as a general rule I think all scholarships should be merit based. I don’t think anyone should be included or excluded from receiving a scholarship based on their appearance including, but not limited to, how poor or rich they look. The only exception I have for that is I don’t think it’s right to offer a scholarship to someone who comes from a rich family. And part of me feels that’s wrong but I just don’t see the utility in giving Brad Calipari or Bronny James a full ride to college.

25% is a helluva saving on private school tuition. I had a cousin who received a letter for a scholarship while attending Alabama and when he went to collect they told him it was sent to him in error and that only black students are eligible for that scholarship.

It sounds like your grandson was turned down because of a rule designed to protect fairness in high school sports. Not because he looked rich. At least from how you described the situation.

I’m only left one question: what do you have against private schools having their own league? If private schools want to issue scholarships then I say let them. But let them compete against other private schools and let public schools compete against public. Maybe have one game against the champion of each league at the end of the year if the private schools are really that upset that they can’t punch down.
need based assistance is determined by an outside company that receives everyones application and has no ties to the institution. The school itself is not permitted to make need based decisions.

need based assistance is determined by an outside company that receives everyones application and has no ties to the institution. The school itself is not permitted to make need based decisions.
and which company would that be? The fact they are deciding which students get aid and which don’t ties them to the institution.

I’m not sure why the school can’t make need based decisions. It doesn’t matter which organization is making the call, if it’s run by humans it’s prone to corruption.

and which company would that be? The fact they are deciding which students get aid and which don’t ties them to the institution.

I’m not sure why the school can’t make need based decisions. It doesn’t matter which organization is making the call, if it’s run by humans it’s prone to corruption.
Most of them use FACTS Management from what I understand. Applications don't go through the school. The problem most people complain about is a fan of the school paying an athlete's tuition. But the school is not doing it. As a practical matter, outside of St. X and Trinity, the private schools in this state don't have a track record of state titles. Maybe Catholic High in Owensboro with softball, but other than that schools like Male and Manual in Louisville, that are allowed to draw from all of Jefferson County, have just as strong resume of state titles. The main complaint is by people that have a great athlete in their district that decides to go private and it costs the local public school wins in that particular sport. Increase your academics and more kids will stay at their local public schools. I've always questioned people in Louisville that complain about an underpriviliged kid that goes to Trinity or St. X, ends up playing sports at a top D1 college, and people are mad because their kid got beat in high school and wasn't good enough to play any where in college.

From KHSAA bylaws: i) Need-Based Aid- means the amount of financial aid that anindependent financial analysis of the student’s financial aidapplication demonstrates that the student needs to pay tuitionto attend a member school, provided the analysis is performedby an agency approved by the Board of Control.

St X recruited our HS hard. They won a state title in baseball my soph year. They had 3 starters that I grew up with. Amazing how those Catholic schools never have to worry about recruiting rules.
Private schools have to recruit students. I think they should be in a class of their own. They have a distinct advantage

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND

Only public school I know that has great recruiting advantage is Scott county. So many of their high school transfers dad worked for Toyota. I'm sure that was a coincidence though 😂

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest

This has been argued in many different forums. The state of Kentucky is just not populated enough to provide enough private schools to have there own league.

Really effects football here Is how I determine if a school is recruiting in rural areas if one county is dominating and the surrounding counties are struggling to have a winning season or to even win a game

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Most of them use FACTS Management from what I understand. Applications don't go through the school. The problem most people complain about is a fan of the school paying an athlete's tuition. But the school is not doing it. As a practical matter, outside of St. X and Trinity, the private schools in this state don't have a track record of state titles. Maybe Catholic High in Owensboro with softball, but other than that schools like Male and Manual in Louisville, that are allowed to draw from all of Jefferson County, have just as strong resume of state titles. The main complaint is by people that have a great athlete in their district that decides to go private and it costs the local public school wins in that particular sport. Increase your academics and more kids will stay at their local public schools. I've always questioned people in Louisville that complain about an underpriviliged kid that goes to Trinity or St. X, ends up playing sports at a top D1 college, and people are mad because their kid got beat in high school and wasn't good enough to play any where in college.

From KHSAA bylaws: i) Need-Based Aid- means the amount of financial aid that anindependent financial analysis of the student’s financial aidapplication demonstrates that the student needs to pay tuitionto attend a member school, provided the analysis is performedby an agency approved by the Board of Control.
With what St. X and Trinity cost now you could probably make 300k a year and qualify for financial aid. Lol. It’s higher than college tuition.

If they are good enough to get NIL They already rich?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT