ADVERTISEMENT

Jai Lucas to Duke

Appreciate your comments on this
However, the issue is NOT just losing to a 15 seed. Over the last few years we have lost our standing in just about every record there is
And we have a HC who does not seem to care
This has been ongoing for a long time and is starting to reach its boiling point
I can see why you feel that. This season is a tipping point. With reigning NPOY, and 2 OADs and a preseason #2 ranking...

Win and recruit like Cal's first few years and order is restored.

OR

not win sec and not get past 1st weekend of NCAAT and I could see the season being his last at UK .

I can see why you feel that. This season is a tipping point. With reigning NPOY, and 2 OADs and a preseason #2 ranking...

Win and recruit like Cal's first few years and order is restored.

OR

not win sec and not get past 1st weekend of NCAAT and I could see the season being his last at UK .
Believe it or not, I would rather see the Calipari of the first few years return than go through the second option.
if you haven’t read @Gromcat ’s thread you should. He is completely correct that we are Kentucky…and one way or another we will recover

Believe it or not, I would rather see the Calipari of the first few years return than go through the second option.
if you haven’t read @Gromcat ’s thread you should. He is completely correct that we are Kentucky…and one way or another we will recover
I can’t speak for others. I surely would have Swaggy Cal back. I don’t see it happening. 2015 broke him and I think he decided to focus on the players.

I sure wish Cal would consider talking to Rajon Rondo for this position. I think he’d be fantastic.

The belief that just because we are Kentucky we will recover is the kind of arrogance combined with CCC that will surely continue the downward spiral of this once proud program. We are becoming very much like a frog placed in water that is slowly heating up. Before the frog detects what is happening to it, the irreversible damage is done. Kentucky has become the frog. Every season ends in frustration, shortly followed by blind optimism that the next season will be much better because of a few carefully crafted words by a snake oil salesman. OH HOW THE MIGHTY HAS FALLEN!!!!

Last edited:
The belief that just because we are Kentucky we will recover is the kind of arrogance combined with CCC will surely continue the downward spiral of this once proud program. We are becoming very much like a frog placed in water that is slowly heating up. Before the frog detects what is happening to it, the irreversible damage is done. Kentucky has become the frog. Every season ends in frustration, shortly followed by blind optimism that the next season will be much better because of a few carefully crafted words by a snake oil salesman. OH HOW THE MIGHTY HAS FALLEN!!!!
Believe you me, I have no desire to keep Calipari as he is now. Too many years of frustration, and the things that happened this year are truly unacceptable …and I’m not optimistic at all that next season will be any different. I simply stated that I would rather have early Calipari than having to start over, if only because that would be an unknown. But, if getting a new coach is what it will take, then I’m all for it
And yes, I admit that believing Kentucky will recover, regardless, does come across as arrogance. It wasn’t intended to. It’s simply my belief, and hope, that we WILL bounce back in one way or another because we always have.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah I really don't get the whole logic of well we are Kentucky so we'll automatically be good.

That didn't happen when Tubby left. We sat through two years of Billy G.

In all likilihood, we'll be fine. But when Cal does hang it up and leave, we need a home run hire. We can't just expect to be okay because we are UK lol.

I think he was hacked. That post was way too positive. No way he typed that himself

Reactions: bluefaithful
Yeah I really don't get the whole logic of well we are Kentucky so we'll automatically be good.

That didn't happen when Tubby left. We sat through two years of Billy G.

In all likilihood, we'll be fine. But when Cal does hang it up and leave, we need a home run hire. We can't just expect to be okay because we are UK lol.
What has Cal done lately?Honestly just stuff easy to replace.

Yeah but replacing Cal isn't what the fanbase is wanting. They want to replace Cal AND get to final fours and win titles.

Not everyone can do that just because we are Kentucky.
I can’t speak for anyone else..
But for me, I want a coach who can and is willing to rebuild, one who believes in the program itself.
I personally don’t expect immediate results …lord knows that takes time. But as long as we progress in the right direction we can and should be satisfied
The program is stagnant right now. People are frustrated, and rightfully so. We need a change…whether it’s the current coach changing his philosophy or a new coach
And yes I do believe we will bounce back. The Kentucky name does still carry some weight

Believe you me, I have no desire to keep Calipari as he is now. Too many years of frustration, and the things that happened this year are truly unacceptable …and I’m not optimistic at all that next season will be any different. I simply stated that I would rather have early Calipari than having to start over, if only because that would be an unknown. But, if getting a new coach is what it will take, then I’m all for it
And yes, I admit that believing Kentucky will recover, regardless, does come across as arrogance. It wasn’t intended to. It’s simply my belief, and hope, that we WILL bounce back in one way or another because we always have.
You don't have to explain yourself to me. I enjoy reading your responses and they are always provided with class and grace. Unfortunately, I am not always able to do the same and can learn a lot from your style. My response was more of a general response to the belief that we will continue being great just because and that next season will be a return to greatness that seems to be the belief of many. Have a great day :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bkocats
You don't have to explain yourself to me. I enjoy reading your responses and they are always provided with class and grace. Unfortunately, I am not always able to do the same and can learn a lot from your style. My response was more of a general response to the belief that we will continue being great just because and that next season will be a return of greatness that seems to be the belief of many. Have a great day :)
I enjoy your posts as well, and thank you for the kind words
Appreciate the clarification of your response
I hope you have a great day as well

• Love
Reactions: LmdCat
Yeah but replacing Cal isn't what the fanbase is wanting. They want to replace Cal AND get to final fours and win titles.

Not everyone can do that just because we are Kentucky.
No No No!!!!! The return of greatness starts with one step at a time with the first step being the removal of CCC. The second step will be to establish a respectable coaching staff. The third will be placing the focus back on the program and not the NBA and players. The fourth is returning to the top of recruiting which will lead to conference and national championships. I believe that most realize we didn't get into this mess overnight and we won't get out of it overnight which is why we are well past stopping the bleeding.

Local news tonight supposed to do story on him coming here to Duke, saying he has significant family ties (I think his wife) to the area.

The belief that just because we are Kentucky we will recover is the kind of arrogance combined with CCC that will surely continue the downward spiral of this once proud program. We are becoming very much like a frog placed in water that is slowly heating up. Before the frog detects what is happening to it, the irreversible damage is done. Kentucky has become the frog. Every season ends in frustration, shortly followed by blind optimism that the next season will be much better because of a few carefully crafted words by a snake oil salesman. OH HOW THE MIGHTY HAS FALLEN!!!!
Just like the Cubs, wait till next year

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
Maybe so but most of the records that UK had are gone never to come back thanks to this clown of a coach

No No No!!!!! The return of greatness starts with one step at a time with the first step being the removal of CCC. The second step will be to establish a respectable coaching staff. The third will be placing the focus back on the program and not the NBA and players. The fourth is returning to the top of recruiting which will lead to conference and national championships. I believe that most realize we didn't get into this mess overnight and we won't get out of it overnight which is why we are well past stopping the bleeding.
Excellent steps for recovery
Send this to mitch and the boosters

I sure wish Cal would consider talking to Rajon Rondo for this position. I think he’d be fantastic.
Rondo and Cal would NEVER get along. Cal would not listen to any of Rondos input and Rondo doesn’t have the personality to stand down and be a “yes” man . I’ve never seen where Rondo has any interest in coaching anyway. Especially at the college level , so I don’t know why his name is even brought up. Honestly, we had the perfect fit for the position, but he left for duke .

Here’s the thing though. Looking at the whole picture it appears that his early years were successful because of the elite talent at his disposal . Without www’s help and with teams being able to “outbid” us with NIL money, will he ever be able to get that kind of talent again? I have serious doubts. I also don’t think running a 20 second weave as your primary half court offense is going to get a championship these days .

Reactions: Fox2monk
Here’s the thing though. Looking at the whole picture it appears that his early years were successful because of the elite talent at his disposal . Without www’s help and with teams being able to “outbid” us with NIL money, will he ever be able to get that kind of talent again? I have serious doubts. I also don’t think running a 20 second weave as your primary half court offense is going to get a championship these days .
You’re likely right
And you’re definitely correct in the weave

but Calipari DID have some success before the OAD became his thing…where did that guy go?

You’re likely right

but Calipari DID have some success before the OAD became his thing…where did that guy go?

Exactly.

I think it's a misnomer that Cal has to have such a huge advantage in talent like we had in 2012 to win. Even at UK, he's gotten us to final fours with some talented players but not widely superior talent in 2011 and 2014. We've made Elite 8s in 17 and 19 with I would again say talented groups but we didn't have the best of the best those years either.

Not to mention what he did at Memphis and Umass.

Obviously having superior talent is great. It just widens that gap and gives you a much better chance at titles, but I don't think it's necessary. I don't think we'll see a 2012 type team. Or a 2015 type team. I think that era has come and gone.

I know the ending of last year stunk. Not just St. Peters but the inability to win an SEC regular title or a tournament title. But if Cal keeps getting that kind of talent, I think that's something we can definitely win with.

You’re likely right

I think it’s pretty common for a guy to lose his swagger/drive/fire/passion/energy when he gets in his 60’s. ESPECIALLY when he’s sitting at the top . Easy/normal to rest on ones laurels . It’s why the vast majority of coaches in the HOF were “nudged “ into retirement after they had stayed past their peak years . It just happens.

I think it’s pretty common for a guy to lose his swagger/drive/fire/passion/energy when he gets in his 60’s. ESPECIALLY when he’s sitting at the top . Easy/normal to rest on ones laurels . It’s why the vast majority of coaches in the HOF were “nudged “ into retirement after they had stayed past their peak years . It just happens.
I get that, truly
And yes it happens often

I think with Calipari it’s more about his dismissal of the loss of our standings in the record books, and losses written off as no big deal

honestly I’m to the point where I’m just not sure what to think anymore I then than we need a change

Reactions: yoshukai
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT