ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Pilgrim just said on Sources Say …

Jones is smart as a whip (to the chagrin of some), but I think he still overvalues 5-star freshmen – especially in today’s environment with the much greater value placed on perimeter shooting. I think a lot of people do this because of the history of excitement around recruiting and trying to land the #1 class without even really analyzing what that is worth today. Before OAD – whether by going pro or transferring – stacking #1 recruiting classes was the obvious way to build the best teams. But unlike football, in basketball classes are no longer stacked. It seems many, if not most, 5-star freshmen end up leaving after one-year.

But I think you make a good point about Brandon Miller and AL. Without the roster around him I don’t think Miller would have looked half as good. I believe the 5-star freshmen need the upperclassmen around them so they don’t have to feel the pressure of trying to carry the offensive load. On the other hand, I don’t think a top college team actually needs 5-star freshmen to succeed. In fact, I think it’s probably detrimental to winning to bring in more than 1 (2 at the most) OAD freshmen per year. With the portal the way it is now, it seems most of the 5-star freshmen either end up trying to go pro at almost any cost, or end up transferring after their freshman year. Maybe it’s better to try to catch their sophomore versions on the rebound, because their sophomore versions are much better players. Plus, many of the best college basketball players now enter the transfer portal every year. The best upperclassmen in the portal are generally better (i.e., have a bigger impact on winning) than the highest ranked incoming freshmen.
Matt Jones knows politics and the law. He is clueless about almost everything else, including especially basketball.

Last edited:
Does Cal even see it????

He//fire, Cal is orchestrating this whole thing.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many are struggling trying to figure out why everyone chose to leave AFTER they met with Cal at the end of the season.

Cal has and continues to send a strong message, not only to his current players on the roster, but also, any player in the portal considering UK, that the incoming freshmen are his top priority for playing time AND NIL money.

As Hunter D said, coming to UK would be a huge risk.

Cal is very happy right now. Does he get paid on the 1st. and the 15th. of the month or all of his $8.5M at one time???
When I said "does he even see it" I meant that it's truly a make or break season for the program, brand, and his legacy, not to mention any and all final Cal supporters.

If this season is a mess, you won't find ANY left, and he'll have a really hard time even showing his face around town, and his precious AAU scene.

Reactions: cathouse
I agree things are a mess right now, but five years ago we didn't get Reid Travis until June. So there are still chips to fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksharpless
When I said "does he even see it" I meant that it's truly a make or break season for the program, brand, and his legacy, not to mention any and all final Cal supporters.

If this season is a mess, you won't find ANY left, and he'll have a really hard time even showing his face around town, and his precious AAU scene.
Yeah, I knew what you were saying.

Just my frustration for the way Cal has hijacked our program with willful intent and laughs all the way to the bank while taking jabs at KY fans.

My response wasn't meant to be personal. We are on the same side of this problem. Just wish there was some way to get it fixed.
But, unfortunately, there isn't unless someone wants to part with about $50M.

Reactions: NociHTTP
And he just doubled down, "I'm in the gym with these kids every day. Don't say I didn't tell you so" in reference to our class basically actually sucking.
It all depends on if we have a complete roster. If you have a great PG and nobody to set up, most people will blame the pg. Our fans will anyway.
The one thing that makes me think it will be a decent year is because all of our guards and wings can attack off the dribble. We haven't had that in quite a while . Wagner is strong with the ball and great at getting into the lane. That's more movement than we have had lately

That's been KSR's main complaint since 2020-2021 season. "You can't win a championship with all Freshmen" meanwhile they're talking about how UK's biggest problem this season was that two of the most important players down the stretch were from Illinois St. and Delaware St.
The notion that our main players are bad because they went to a small school first is stupid. That's what the portal is. Every top school will have players from smaller schools play a large role

Thought Reid Travis was solid but I'd have never played him the amount of minutes he played in Elite 8 game. Specifically against Auburn. Wasn't a good matchup for him. The 2 games he played--UK escaped with a win in Auburn, and obviously the OT Loss to them in Elite 8. The game in Rupp where he wasn't available and they had rim protection and guys who didn't the ball to impact the game, they ran Auburn off the court.

Think Cal got into a weird "Reid will make some plays because he's from Mpls and will drag us to Final Four in his home city" line of thinking. Sometimes coaches have hunches they play and they are wrong. Believe this is an example.

Does Cal even see it????

He//fire, Cal is orchestrating this whole thing.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many are struggling trying to figure out why everyone chose to leave AFTER they met with Cal at the end of the season.

Cal has and continues to send a strong message, not only to his current players on the roster, but also, any player in the portal considering UK, that the incoming freshmen are his top priority for playing time AND NIL money.

As Hunter D said, coming to UK would be a huge risk.

Cal is very happy right now. Does he get paid on the 1st. and the 15th. of the month or all of his $8.5M at one time???
Cal has this.

The Johnson comments are very indicative. He should have had a huge role here if he chose us. But these really solid college players know the script now and they are well aware that they’d play second fiddle to this glorified freshman class and any 5star that came the following year. They are wisening up and choosing programs that are more interested in building consistent teams w continuity instead of the college version of GLeague Ignite

The Johnson comments are very indicative. He should have had a huge role here if he chose us. But these really solid college players know the script now and they are well aware that they’d play second fiddle to this glorified freshman class and any 5star that came the following year. They are wisening up and choosing programs that are more interested in building consistent teams w continuity instead of the college version of GLeague Ignite
I guess if Oscar returns then you expect him to play second fiddle to this class and come off the bench.

Reactions: NociHTTP
No…Cal would use Oscar to clean up the misses the freshmen jack up.

It’ll work OK until a team keeps Oscar off the boards in the NCAAT and the freshmen pucker up.
Well at least you’re keeping a positive attitude. :cool:

Matt Jones knows politics and the law. He is clueless about almost everything else, including especially basketball.
You’re right that knowledge and intelligence are definitely two different things. But also at some point (maybe when you get around 50-ish) I think for a lot of folks their ego ebbs some and lets you more easily acknowledge when someone is really good at something (even if it’s the same type of thing you do) or that someone is obviously a really smart dude, without feeling threatened by admitting that.

I don’t think Jones has the knowledge to do well if he tried to coach basketball. But I also doubt there are many of us who post here that could do it well either (although probably like a few others, I’ve dabbled in it). But when it comes to making observations and correlations about basketball, I think we have some good minds on this board (you included I bet); and I think Jones’ intelligence makes him pretty good at that too.

The guy averaged 7 points and 5 boards a game and shot 26 percent from deep in his 4th year in college. Hell yeah he’d be playing second fiddle to 4 of the top 7 freshman in the country.

Here's the thing...as long as Calipari is at UK this is going to happen year in and year out going forward. Guys are going to enter the portal when a top 5-10 recruit signs at their position because they know minutes are being promised to get the McD's kids to Lex. The old days of having to sit the bench and hope for scrap minutes after being recruited over, are gone.
And essentially, if Calipari doesn't see a huge improvement from you in year one...he's going to recruit over you. It's a never-ending cycle. Who cares if physical maturity and experience could cause a kid to blossom...we gotta get the next guy in so we can start destroying his confidence ASAP!

No…Cal would use Oscar to clean up the misses the freshmen jack up.

It’ll work OK until a team keeps Oscar off the boards in the NCAAT and the freshmen pucker up.

UK has had non freshmen puckering up and choking n the ncaa for 50 years before caliparos tenure. 3 titles in 50 years.

It's almost like winning the ncaa tournament is hard no matter what makeup of team we have. Too abd we aren't more like uconn of late.

I guess if Oscar returns then you expect him to play second fiddle to this class and come off the bench.
This is called a straw man argument.

Oscar is a guy Cal recruited out of high school before he went to WVU. And rerecruited in the portal.

Oscar was never a stop gap role player recruit

Reactions: KFuqua
The guy averaged 7 points and 5 boards a game and shot 26 percent from deep in his 4th year in college. Hell yeah he’d be playing second fiddle to 4 of the top 7 freshman in the country.
He’s a grown man that played on a national title runner up team that would be a perfect 4 for this years team that doesn’t have a 4…other than the college 5 that we promised minutes at the 4 for his nba showcase.

Keep reaching.

Except that hasn't happened the past couple of seasons. Cason wasn't put at pg until after half way through the year. The best players will be on the floor.

Reactions: kl40504
OK let's put this to bed. None of the 3 will return. We have a roster that needs another 3-4 dudes. What's are stubborn, arrogant coach gonna do here?? Not looking good.

Be a shame to waste the talent of our freshman class with an incomplete roster around them.

Cal does that anyway by not playing the freshmen WITH the rest of the roster until the SEC schedule is under way. He either wastes the talent on the bench or the talent on the floor. Hasn't been able to manage a roster since we platooned

He doesn't care. He has 8M reasons not to...

Yeah, I knew what you were saying.

Just my frustration for the way Cal has hijacked our program with willful intent and laughs all the way to the bank while taking jabs at KY fans.

My response wasn't meant to be personal. We are on the same side of this problem. Just wish there was some way to get it fixed.
But, unfortunately, there isn't unless someone wants to part with about $50M.

I still think he's broken 2 sections of his current contract. Not that it matters

Reactions: KFuqua and cathouse
Except that hasn't happened the past couple of seasons. Cason wasn't put at pg until after half way through the year. The best players will be on the floor.
Once again, you misrepresent the facts, he wasn’t put at point guard until Wheeler went down with an injury. Next time you should state the facts as they stand.

Once again, you misrepresent the facts, he wasn’t put at point guard until Wheeler went down with an injury. Next time you should state the facts as they stand.
I don't misrepresent any facts. You made my point Even more valid..... The conversation is that cal plays freshmen over everyone... It's not relevant when or why he was put in over wheeler

You’re right that knowledge and intelligence are definitely two different things. But also at some point (maybe when you get around 50-ish) I think for a lot of folks their ego ebbs some and lets you more easily acknowledge when someone is really good at something (even if it’s the same type of thing you do) or that someone is obviously a really smart dude, without feeling threatened by admitting that.

I don’t think Jones has the knowledge to do well if he tried to coach basketball. But I also doubt there are many of us who post here that could do it well either (although probably like a few others, I’ve dabbled in it). But when it comes to making observations and correlations about basketball, I think we have some good minds on this board (you included I bet); and I think Jones’ intelligence makes him pretty good at that too.
I appreciate your well thought out, reasoned, and intelligent post. But as some one who played small college basketball (100 years ago haha) and has coached for 25 years, I respectfully disagree that Matt Jones is good at making any kind of assertion about basketball. He used to be a source for recruiting and inside info, and he was good at that. But when he gets outside of that realm most of his comments border on ridiculous. He is welcome to his opinion, as we all are, but when he begins talking about the intricacies of basketball, he is very easily dismissed imo.

• Love
Reactions: cathouse and G-PIP
I don't misrepresent any facts. You made my point Even more valid..... The conversation is that cal plays freshmen over everyone... It's not relevant when or why he was put in over wheeler
In the case of Wheeler vs. Wallace, he definitely made the right move.

I appreciate your well thought out, reasoned, and intelligent post. But as some one who played small college basketball (100 years ago haha) and has coached for 25 years, I respectfully disagree that Matt Jones is good at making any kind of assertion about basketball. He used to be a source for recruiting and inside info, and he was good at that. But when he gets outside of that realm most of his comments border on ridiculous. He is welcome to his opinion, as we all are, but when he begins talking about the intricacies of basketball, he is very easily dismissed imo.
As I said, I dabbled in coaching. You’re the real deal. When I was doing it we still ran plays (or tried to) every time down the floor. We might have heard about “motion offense” but we didn’t know how to run it.

Reactions: RipThru
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT