ADVERTISEMENT

Ja Morant suspened from all team activities

I think morals clauses are in all NBA NFL MLB NHL and endorsement deals. Any time that much money is involved and you’re representing a franchise or company a morals clause is in the contract.

This is from an article talking about the Wizards possibly voiding Gilbert Arenas contract after a gun possession charge.

The uniform player contract stipulates that a team can void a contract if the player fails, refuses or neglects to follow the moral turpitude clause.”

What is moral turpitude?

In general it is conduct that is contrary to honesty, good morals and sportsmanship.
Ok, so how did the 2nd incident violate this moral turpitude clause?

I was going to say, this might not even be a "Memphis" team issue but something among the league. I mean, they suspended him once for this, so it has to be somewhere.

I'll also say, I don't think Ja Morant is a bad guy (at least not yet, this being a 2nd incident is starting to show a bit of a trend).. I think he just surrounded himself with some bad characters. I don't believe Ja Morant was going to shoot anyone and I don't inherently think he's any more dangerous than the white family above holding guns.

Unfortunately, the hip-hop culture is very intertwined with basketball players. Many can look at a rap music video and see it just as that.. but some can't. Ja needs to realize he's a role model now.. you can't go around waving guns even if you truthfully didn't mean any harm and were just having fun. He's got some growing up to do. Not everyone can "be a legend in two games like they're Pee Wee Kirkland"

211209-massie-christmas-card-mn-1500.jpg

It'd be nice if people in general chilled on the gun worship and pretending like it's their kid or dog in photos. I would think most responsible gun owners don't constantly pose with their guns like it's their baby. Ja may be an idiot but while some here are making it seem like he's a gangbanger from the hood currently on death row, why is he a thug for flashing a weapon but Massie and other politicians who pose with guns in their Christmas cards for example to "trigger" the other side are good, moral people we should look up to? Not defending Ja AT ALL, but there is a double standard with the gun worship.

This is at the top of the list of reasons why the rest of the world often think Americans are weirdos. Not just that we have so many guns, but instead the bizarre way so many of us fetishize them like this. And they have a point, it is rather weird.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
As I said in the other thread, I don’t know what is going on with him. By all account he was a good person at Murray.

I mean the man worked his butt off and earned his way into the league. FROM MURRAY.

Not UK. Not Duke. Not UNC. Not Zaga. MURRAY. Not saying Murray is a horrible programs, no. But it’s not the first place you would think a major pro basketball player would come from.

What is he trying to prove? I don’t get it.
The question is why was he at Murray State with that much talent?

It’s crazy how many people expose themselves on social media. I can understand a teenager trying to act cool, but a grown man doing this is lame as hell.
I’m just lucky there were no smart phones with cameras when I was in high school and college. It’s one thing being stupid, it’s another thing recording it for all time.

This is at the top of the list of reasons why the rest of the world often think Americans are weirdos. Not just that we have so many guns, but instead the bizarre way so many of us fetishize them like this. And they have a point, it is rather weird.

Not buying it. Not buying that people think America are a bunch of weirdos, and not buying some random gun photos on the internet are the reason why.

You have an entire subculture that glorifies gang violence, crime, drug addiction and disrespecting women. If that doesn't make the rest of the world shake their head at us, then it certainly isn't a few one-off photos like the above.

Not buying it. Not buying that people think America are a bunch of weirdos, and not buying some random gun photos on the internet are the reason why.

You have an entire subculture that glorifies gang violence, crime, drug addiction and disrespecting women. If that doesn't make the rest of the world shake their head at us, then it certainly isn't a few one-off photos like the above.
That’s not some random family though. That’s a sitting US congressmen that many on here probably voted for. Of course the rest of the world thinks our fetish with guns is weird. It is weird.

That’s not some random family though. That’s a sitting US congressmen that many on here probably voted for. Of course the rest of the world thinks our fetish with guns is weird. It is weird.

I think it's weird also. But I don't think *this* is what's giving America a bad name lol. In the time it took me to write this, one of the music channels just played a rap video with people talking about crime. Our issue isn't a politician making some pro-gun Christmas card. It's a hip hop star who has a million more followers.

I think it's weird also. But I don't think *this* is what's giving America a bad name lol. In the time it took me to write this, one of the music channels just played a rap video with people talking about crime. Our issue isn't a politician making some pro-gun Christmas card. It's a hip hop star who has a million more followers.
What's the difference tho,a hip hop star on a video with a million followers or a politician elected by a million people...

Reactions: jameslee32
Ask Robert Sarver, Ime Udoka, Donald Sterling, Kyrie Irving and Leonard Meyers if you have to commit a crime to get suspended from the league.

What's the difference tho,a hip hop star on a video with a million followers or a politician elected by a million people...

I dont know.. For starters the people in the family photo aren't pointing the guns at you?

Look, you can twist it all you want to fit the narrative. The fact is, you're around people like the political family every day, because they're normal and they're decent. But you're not spending a second in the ghettos where pistol waving and crime runs rampant. That's the difference.

Reactions: cats#1again
Uh
I'm convinced we have real-life serial killers on this message board, in addition to about half of our posters who are in the NRA. That said, to our crowd here, this should be a non-issue.

Morant driving around with a gun doesn't bother me, because he probably is at risk for being perpetually robbed. Flaunting the gun was stupid, however, but only from a public relations standpoint. I'm glad he's packing heat. He probably needs to do so.
Uh oh 😟 Leftist alert 😂😂. Please name me all these serial killer NRA members. 🤦‍♂️. Please enlighten us on why “he” needs to flaunt a gun.

211209-massie-christmas-card-mn-1500.jpg

It'd be nice if people in general chilled on the gun worship and pretending like it's their kid or dog in photos. I would think most responsible gun owners don't constantly pose with their guns like it's their baby. Ja may be an idiot but while some here are making it seem like he's a gangbanger from the hood currently on death row, why is he a thug for flashing a weapon but Massie and other politicians who pose with guns in their Christmas cards for example to "trigger" the other side are good, moral people we should look up to? Not defending Ja AT ALL, but there is a double standard with the gun worship.
Great!! So you agree…both are weird and not worth defending. Glad you pulled an image that represents the similarities between Morant and this family. I am sure you have the IQ to know one image represents a national figure and another represents a no name family, hence why not the outrage. You have to intentionally locate this image to make a point. Most of us don’t have the time on our hands. But, thanks for sharing. 😉 While stuck in meetings providing jobs or providing value added services at work, we will call upon you to seek irrelevant evidence to marginalize a situation that opposes the leftist narrative. Thanks again for sharing 😀

Last edited:
Lol 😂 Try Switzerland.

• Haha
I dont know.. For starters the people in the family photo aren't pointing the guns at you?

Look, you can twist it all you want to fit the narrative. The fact is, you're around people like the political family every day, because they're normal and they're decent. But you're not spending a second in the ghettos where pistol waving and crime runs rampant. That's the difference.
Not twisting it either way,one is no better than the other.A video made with someone flaunting a gun or a photo made of some holding a gun and flaunting it is the same....stupid and ignorant.

Neither of those tweets are accurate. There is no blanket rule prohibiting a player from possessing a gun in a video. There are two instances called out in the CBA when players are prohibited from possessing a gun.

The CBA prohibits a player from possessing a gun whenever they are physically located within any facility owned, operated or being used by a team or the NBA. They are also prohibitive from possessing a firearm anytime they are traveling on NBA related business.

It’s covered in Article VI, Section 9(a) of the CBA.

(d) The Commissioner shall have the power to suspend for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $50,000, or inflict both such suspension and fine upon any Player who, in his opinion, (i) shall have made or caused to be made any statement having, or that was designed to have, an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of basketball or of the Association or of a Member, or (ii) shall have been guilty of conduct that does not conform to standards of morality or fair play, that does not comply at all times with all federal, state, and local laws, or that is prejudicial or detrimental to the Association.
The last line is the key: "…or that is prejudicial or detrimental to the Association." It's a wide-ranging, umbrella term that essentially gives Silver unilateral authority to suspend any player for conduct deemed detrimental to the league.
If Silver's recent quotes are any indication, then expect Morant to end up with a lengthy ban to start the upcoming NBA season.

Great!! So you agree…both are weird and not worth defending. Glad you pulled an image that represents the similarities between Morant and this family. I am sure you have the IQ to know one image represents a national figure and another represents a no name family, hence why not the outrage. You have to intentionally locate this image to make a point. Most of us don’t have the time on our hands. But, thanks for sharing. 😉 While stuck in meetings providing jobs or providing value added services at work, we will call upon you to seek irrelevant evidence to marginalize a situation that opposes the leftist narrative. Thanks again for sharing 😀
I wouldn’t exactly call Thomas Massie a no name family and he is kind of a national figure.

The last line is the key: "…or that is prejudicial or detrimental to the Association." It's a wide-ranging, umbrella term that essentially gives Silver unilateral authority to suspend any player for conduct deemed detrimental to the league.
If Silver's recent quotes are any indication, then expect Morant to end up with a lengthy ban to start the upcoming NBA season.

Per Article VI, Section 9(c), the CBA explicitly defines firearm related conduct to be “prejudicial” and subject to Article 35(d) of the NBA constitution when it involves any of the following situations:
  • A player possessing a firearm when physically located in any facility owned, operated or used by a team or the NBA
  • A player possessing a firearm when traveling on NBA related business
  • Or, a when a player who owns a firearm fails to provide proof to the team that they legally own that firearm if the player lives somewhere that requires a license or registration for that gun.
For the commissioner to expand the scope of Article 35d of the NBA Constitution to cover a non-egregious firearm situation like Morant’s, will require some agreement on Morant’s part to accept that. And that’s also assuming the Players’ Association declines to challenge it.

This is the same organization that kicked out, suspended or fired individuals like Donald Sterling, Robert Sarver, Ime Udoka, Kyrie Irving and Meyers Leonard for conduct detrimental to the league.

This is the same organization that kicked out, suspended or fired individuals like Donald Sterling, Robert Sarver, Ime Udoka, Kyrie Irving and Meyers Leonard for conduct detrimental to the league.
Sterling, Sarver and Udoka are irrelevant to this discussion. None of those three were players at the time of their issues, which means the CBA did not apply them.

Irving and Leonard were suspended for things that they said. There is no explicit policy in the CBA discussing what players can and cannot say, therefore player speech issues are judgement calls handled under Article 35d of the NBA Constitution and By-laws.

However, for firearm issues there is an explicit, contractual agreement between the league and the players written into the CBA. That changes how much latitude the commissioner has when applying Article 35d to Morant when compared to Irving’s situation.

They may ultimately choose to go down that route with Morant, but Morant has far more leverage here than Irving and any suspension will require Morant to be receptive to that (and potentially the Players Association as well).

Whether that happens will depend upon the severity of any penalty and the extent to which the parties are willing to fight versus choosing to pick their battles.

You do realize Morant was previously suspended eight games by Silver for conduct detrimental to the league?

You do realize Morant was previously suspended eight games by Silver for conduct detrimental to the league?
And you do realize that he was previously suspended for eight games for possessing a gun in Denver, when his team had traveled there to play the Nuggets?

Which means his possession of a firearm in that instance violated the terms of Article VI, Section 9(a) of the CBA as I mentioned above. The CBA is clear in that players are prohibited from possessing a firearm while traveling on any NBA related business.

Morant’s actions in Denver represented conduct detrimental to the league per the terms of the CBA. Mordant did exactly what the CBA specifically and explicitly said he couldn’t do when he was previously suspended.

How is he a kid? I don't understand how that could be.
I personally think a 24 yr old is still a kid, then throw in millions of dollars and you’re going to make mistakes.
In Iraq we had kids that were 19 that were more mature and level headed than some guy/kids that were married and 28-29 but they acted like kids and not adults.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Adam Silver says punishment for Grizzlies' Ja Morant to be announced after NBA Finals

Adam Silver said:
While Silver was somewhat vague, his comments make it seem like the Memphis Grizzlies guard will face significant punishment.

Nothing will be announced until after the NBA Finals have concluded, however.

"We've uncovered a fair amount of additional information since I was last asked about the situation," Silver said. "We probably could have brought it to a head now, but we made the decision -- and I believe the Players Association agrees with us -- that it would be unfair to these players and these teams in the middle of this series to announce the results of that investigation."

Doesn't look great for Morant. :/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT