ADVERTISEMENT

It’s very early, I realize, but .....

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
Is it clear to you that we’ll be better than last year ?? I think so, but am not positive. Utilization of Reid Travis will be key, along with the ability to stop drives to the basket. Surely, we will shoot much better from outside than we did tonight ... we have to. I like the potential of this team.

Reactions: Cats192
It’s before early. I mean this was before fb even played a game BUT there are things you can take away. First we are deep with physicality and athleticism. That in and of itself will win a ton of games after wearing teams out. Second we have a lot of guards. Third we have a lot of bigs. This will be a very versatile team that once they learn each other’s tendencies and gel watch out.

Reactions: ukfan041
These games are huge for this team in so many ways. Learning how to play with each other. Understanding their roles. You can see flashes.

Couple of things I would like to see. A rim protector and consistent shooting.

Reactions: white10
Just think. This team will get almost 3 more months of practice before we get to see them again after Sunday.

This team is maybe about even with last year’s team in March.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Glad to see all the positivity and we do seem to have a lot of versatility. It should be an interesting and fun year watching them develop as a team. I look for Reid Travis to be more involved. He and PJ can be tough inside, with Keldon slashing.

I honestly think this team at this moment with only a couple weeks of practice would win 4+ games out of 10 against the March version of last years team.

It kills me how we have to do this every year.

Your most recent memories of last year's squad are from the peak of their developmental arc. They had been playing together as a team for months through an entire season of basketball. Through great coaching, analysis, and experimentation, players had grown into rigid roles, and minutes were heavily displaced into our highest-efficiency units to create the best possible performance in tournament play.

Your only exposure to the current team is an exhibition game in August with unlimited fouls, musical chair substitutions, and Cal not even coaching.

Seriously.

I certainly see the potential, for sure. My point was is it 100% obvious that we’ll be better than last year. We lost Knox, Shai, Vando, etc ... and return only 25% of offensive production. To me, Travis and PJ are the keys. Clearly, we will be a good team.

We have more options this year and a plethora of lineup options.

We played without a five last year and we’re very limited with offensive possibilities.

We win by 24 while only hitting two threes and a myriad of missed shots at/bear the rim.

We Are a lot better still can’t shot for sheet. Defense will be a lot better. Spacing is better. Movement is better. Fast to the ball on defense which makes us more susceptible to getting beat off the dribble. But hey it’s only August. Excellent stuff guys. Mega Bemax will be the game to watch Saturday.

Is it clear to you that we’ll be better than last year ?? I think so, but am not positive. Utilization of Reid Travis will be key, along with the ability to stop drives to the basket. Surely, we will shoot much better from outside than we did tonight ... we have to. I like the potential of this team.
Just enjoying watching this... nothing to take seriously for a few months.

We have more options this year and a plethora of lineup options.

We played without a five last year and we’re very limited with offensive possibilities.

We win by 24 while only hitting two threes and a myriad of missed shots at/bear the rim.
The line-up options are DEFINITELY a plus .... for sure!!

No, we don't have to. There is no law saying we must. We can't shoot again this year.

Unfortunate. We will have games where we shoot just fine but we will ave maybe 30%

No, we don't have to. There is no law saying we must. We can't shoot again this year.

Unfortunate. We will have games where we shoot just fine but we will ave maybe 30%
Are you convinced this will be a poor shooting team from the outside? I sure hope you’re wrong about that or we may see more zone than we did last year. Knox, Shai and Gabriel we’re pretty good shooters most of last year.

Are you convinced this will be a poor shooting team from the outside? I sure hope you’re wrong about that or we may see more zone than we did last year.

what does zone have to do with anything? we didnt shoot well tonight and the team we played, played man the entire night.

what does zone have to do with anything? we didnt shoot well tonight and the team we played, played man the entire night.
If we cannot shoot well, we will see zone defense. That is my point. Commentators said the same thing, repeatedly. Surely, we will shoot better .... !!

I honestly think this team at this moment with only a couple weeks of practice would win 4+ games out of 10 against the March version of last years team.
Knox and Shai would beat this apart right now off screens but this team before SEC play starts I agree.

Come on Mega, you can't really be worried about this team right now. Were you getting frustrated during the game tonight? If you were you really should check yourself.
These guys are on vacation and it's August. If last years team played this same game in August of last year it would have been really ugly. They were the youngest team ever recorded.
This team is way more athletic and will be better at every aspect of the game.
Shooting sucked, but again, they were on vacation. They're in the Bahamas having fun.
Had a few more of those threes dropped it would have been a slaughter early.

If we cannot shoot well, we will see zone defense. That is my point. Commentators said the same thing, repeatedly. Surely, we will shoot better .... !!

if we cant/dont shoot well against man...why would the other team play zone? we are already not shooting well.

you play zone because you cant guard man to man. did you get a sense tonight that teams can not guard us man to man?

Great to see the new guys play,great to see the guys that came back play.Anything more than that we really can't say I hope a few more shots go in in the next 3 games

Come on Mega, you can't really be worried about this team right now. Were you getting frustrated during the game tonight? If you were you really should check yourself.
These guys are on vacation and it's August. If last years team played this same game in August of last year it would have been really ugly. They were the youngest team ever recorded.
This team is way more athletic and will be better at every aspect of the game.
Shooting sucked, but again, they were on vacation. They're in the Bahamas having fun.
Had a few more of those threes dropped it would have been a slaughter early.
I’m not worried. We will be a good team, no doubt. I think they will be fun to watch. Perhaps my post was misunderstood. I just wondered if peoples’ first impressions were that we will clearly be better than last year. I think we probably will be, but didn’t see enough to be convinced of it. That’s all ...

Knox and Shai would beat this apart right now off screens but this team before SEC play starts I agree.
Really? Is that the August 2017 version of Shai and Knox or the March version?
Those two werewer anything special until well into the season last year.
Heck, Knox was as timmid as a schoolboy up until the WVa game and even then there were games he disappeared in right up until the end.
Shai was great, but not right off the bat, it wasn't until December that we saw the real potential that Shai had.
I always love these comparisons to previous players at their peak to the new guys that just started playing college ball.

I’m not worried. We will be a good team, no doubt. I think they will be fun to watch. Perhaps my post was misunderstood. I just wondered if peoples’ first impressions were that we will clearly be better than last year. I think we probably will be, but didn’t see enough to be convinced of it. That’s all ...
Last year there was nobody that had UK going past the sweet 16 at any point in the season. So far, we already heard Dan Dakitch and Seth Greenburg state that UK is Final Four/ National title good.

They are super uncomfortable, moving with a lot of hesitancy, not sure of where to go, where others will be. Not used to playing with each other, haven’t learned the strengths of their teammates and how to put them in an advantageous position. Etc. etc.

With all of that said it is obvious how much talent is on the court. There is SO MUCH ROOM FOR GROWTH. Give Cal a few months to mold this team, build confidence, and let these guys learn each other and we will be a force.

I am a big fan of last years team but I’m not sure the ceiling was even close to what I could envision after watching one meaningless preseason exhibition game. I am incredibly excited. Going to be an enjoyable ride.

It kills me how we have to do this every year.

Your most recent memories of last year's squad are from the peak of their developmental arc. They had been playing together as a team for months through an entire season of basketball. Through great coaching, analysis, and experimentation, players had grown into rigid roles, and minutes were heavily displaced into our highest-efficiency units to create the best possible performance in tournament play.

Your only exposure to the current team is an exhibition game in August with unlimited fouls, musical chair substitutions, and Cal not even coaching.

Seriously.
That’s all we true fans needed to see, McNugget. 40-0 here we come baby!!!

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I enjoyed the game; and feel very positive about this team
saw a lot of good things; I think the offense will come

This is what AUGUST basketball looks like. We just usually don't get to see it.

Reactions: Bkocats

30 percent from 3? You sir are out of your mind. Once the season rolls around these 4 guys will take 75 percent of the 3s. Herro Green Keldon Quickley. This team will make 35% plus and may push close to 40%. This game does not concern me at all. The 4 dudes I mentioned will all shoot 37%+

if we cant/dont shoot well against man...why would the other team play zone? we are already not shooting well.

you play zone because you cant guard man to man. did you get a sense tonight that teams can not guard us man to man?
If you do not show signs of being able to shoot and a team zones you, they pack it in and you cannot score inside either.

If we come out and shoot 40% from 3 tomorrow night, everyone's going to be screaming 40-0.

There's no chemistry, timing or rhythm. When we figure those things out, when we're getting good shots in rhythm, we're going to make them.

You’re going to judge this team’s shooting after one exhibition summer game??? Just a guess on my part but I think this team will be an unbelievably good shooting team this year. This team has all the components to be one of Cal’s best!

This was the ultimate deer in headlight game. And even the “holy grail” experienced player that everyone is so excited about was also dealing with his headlights. And we still blew out a team. So many pieces to come together and yes there has been some practices, but coaches still are unsure who can do what. I truly think some of the domination of the 2015 team was due to this early practices/games.

But this is NOT that team. NO way. But still a legit great team. Remember, that team was returning a lot of players that made the Final Game....and had the #1 draft pick in the freshmen class

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT