ADVERTISEMENT

No Way We Go Deep without...

TheBlueMax

Junior
Jan 1, 2003
Kentucky
...much better defensive fundamentals. This team's defense individually and as a team is appallingly bad. UT will be a true barometer of where we are. Maybe we'll be the hunter instead of being hunted, for once, and that will help.

We absolutely are weak when it comes to some critical fundamentals. Maybe some of it is attributable to the scouting report, but when we can't get into or stay in a stance, communicate better, cover shooters, anticipate primary threats, allow wholesale penetrating drives to the basket, allow attacks of the baseline, leave our feet, etc...it means we make teams like Vanderbilt look like they're at the top of the SEC. Compound that with a not very physical team, and we have to expect that neither tournament will yield the results that we want.

I have enjoyed watching their offensive prowess -- they are one of the very best offensive teams ever at Kentucky -- but I do not like our ability to defend and rebound. It's really our guards who fail the most. I love them all, but not pressuring the ball and constantly allowing drives (and so many dunks and layups!) is going to be the death of us. Time is up. We simply have no more time to get this right unless some kind of superhuman effort and some changes are made.

...much better defensive fundamentals. This team's defense individually and as a team is appallingly bad. UT will be a true barometer of where we are. Maybe we'll be the hunter instead of being hunted, for once, and that will help.

We absolutely are weak when it comes to some critical fundamentals. Maybe some of it is attributable to the scouting report, but when we can't get into or stay in a stance, communicate better, cover shooters, anticipate primary threats, allow wholesale penetrating drives to the basket, allow attacks of the baseline, leave our feet, etc...it means we make teams like Vanderbilt look like they're at the top of the SEC. Compound that with a not very physical team, and we have to expect that neither tournament will yield the results that we want.

I have enjoyed watching their offensive prowess -- they are one of the very best offensive teams ever at Kentucky -- but I do not like our ability to defend and rebound. It's really our guards who fail the most. I love them all, but not pressuring the ball and constantly allowing drives (and so many dunks and layups!) is going to be the death of us. Time is up. We simply have no more time to get this right unless some kind of superhuman effort and some changes are made.
It's a fair concern. What drove me crazy tonight was the rebounding effort. That one play where Bradshaw let his man get what I think was 3 straight offensive rebounds just drove me crazy.

If we beat Tennessee, one of the hottest teams right now and IMO deserving of a one-seed in the NCAAT, then we will have played championship level defense, a la the Auburn game. It'll take an effort that we didn't see these past two games against reasonably athletic and good teams but teams you should handle convincingly. For whatever reason, Calipari is not the defensive coach he once was, and that may be due to the general difficulty in today's more modern game of guarding the three-point line and also lethal drives to the basket. My concern is being fundamentally sound on each possession...even just a hint of defensive fundamentals and we could have been 27-3 and on the one-seed line. That's where it's legit to question our defensive "heart," as well as our staff placing adequate attention on that as a requirement to be on the floor. I do think we will compete hard at Tennessee.

It's a fair concern. What drove me crazy tonight was the rebounding effort. That one play where Bradshaw let his man get what I think was 3 straight offensive rebounds just drove me crazy.
We actually chased 50/50 balls really well first half. We just didn’t convert at least 4 easy layups or dunks off offensive rebounds. Then we don’t rebound like you said for a half.

Reactions: BigTyrone
If we beat Tennessee, one of the hottest teams right now and IMO deserving of a one-seed in the NCAAT, then we will have played championship level defense, a la the Auburn game. It'll take an effort that we didn't see these past two games against reasonably athletic and good teams but teams you should handle convincingly. For whatever reason, Calipari is not the defensive coach he once was, and that may be due to the general difficulty in today's more modern game of guarding the three-point line and also lethal drives to the basket. My concern is being fundamentally sound on each possession...even just a hint of defensive fundamentals and we could have been 27-3 and on the one-seed line. That's where it's legit to question our defensive "heart," as well as our staff placing adequate attention on that as a requirement to be on the floor. I do think we will compete hard at Tennessee.
What pains me is we don’t even have to be great. Just like you said. Solid fundamental defense and we will win 95% of the time with our offense.

What pains me is we don’t even have to be great. Just like you said. Solid fundamental defense and we will win 95% of the time with our offense.
Was going to reply the same thing. This elite offense and a below average but not bad defense wins a championship. We're not there yet on D

Reactions: catzcan
Hate to be a naysayer, but this ain't December. If we were gonna get there defensively we'd have been there by now. Just gotta hope this offense will be enough.

Agree with the OP kinda.... Vandy may be a bad example because we held them to 45% shooting.... we also out rebounded them pretty well, unless i was to tired when i read the box score last night....
if we do that to Tenn, then we are cooking with peanut oil...

As they say in Washington DC where I work, "even when everything has been said, to some people it doesn't matter until they say it."

I'm not sure the 10,000th thread on Kentucky's defense is adding much, or needs to come after a blow-out win that showed lots of positives. But I guess to some important people it is critically necessary that THEY say it.

Last edited:

We absolutely are weak when it comes to some critical fundamentals. Maybe some of it is attributable to the scouting report, but when we can't get into or stay in a stance, communicate better, cover shooters, anticipate primary threats, allow wholesale penetrating drives to the basket, allow attacks of the baseline, leave our feet...

It's all correctable and we have a full week or so to get it fixed. Why so negative (and thorough)?

I hope they can overcome their lack of coaching here and win a title. They're a great bunch of guys who have played their assets off. Maybe the committee won't screw us in the bracket this year, and maybe the DCAA won't screw us with officials that hate us, so we can make a run in the tournament. You just never know

Most of the year we just play very dumb on defense.

One thing I’d like us to do as an adjustment would be to pack it in. If the guy you’re guarding isn’t a big time 3 point threat, do not go beyond the 3 point line to guard him. We’re over extending with guards that are easy to beat off the dribble, a bad combo imo.

Most of the year we just play very dumb on defense.

One thing I’d like us to do as an adjustment would be to pack it in. If the guy you’re guarding isn’t a big time 3 point threat, do not go beyond the 3 point line to guard him. We’re over extending with guards that are easy to beat off the dribble, a bad combo imo.
Have to watch film to get that kind of intel.

If UT beats us down badly, expect that as a tournament game during the NCAA tournament. If our offense is truly elite, it needs to elevate us against UT's stout defense. We won't be stopping them.

As they say in Washington DC where I work, "even when everything has been said, to some people it doesn't matter until they say it."

I'm not sure the 10,000th thread on Kentucky's defense is adding much, or needs to come after a blow-out win that should lots of positives. But I guess to some people it is important that THEY say it.
So true. Glad we have another thread on this.

Looking forward to the next "Cal only plays his favorites" thread

Reactions: MdWIldcat55

I agree, in the tournament all it takes is just one bad shooting night and this team will be done. I love their offense at times, but I have seen better defensive fundamentals from a 5 th grade team. That goes for their one of one man and their total team defense.

We out rebounded them 44-32 and we had 13 offensive rebounds to their 8. Strange that rebounding drove you crazy in a game we rebounded way better than them.

Reactions: fbrent1972
We out rebounded them 44-32 and we had 13 offensive rebounds to their 8. Strange that rebounding drove you crazy in a game we rebounded way better than them.
Talking more about Bradshaw's effort specifically (and that one play in particular), not the team as a whole.

Reactions: catben
It would be nice to simply see them not stand straight up, chase the ball like rec league at the Boys & Girls Club, and just for once, get in a proper stance and lock in like D. Liggins.

I have no choice but to assume at this point that Cal tells them it's ok to let their man go by because UK has 7'ers at the rim .... who aren't very good, mind you.

the defense frustrates me bc we have the pieces. We freelance too much and play upright a lot. It’s essentially slightly better than AAU/Pickup ball defense where you are lackadaisically guarding ball and just challenging shots last second then turning to look for a rebound. A lot of sagging off (not true help position and just standing) off ball hoping to shoot a passing lane etc.

also have a tendency to have a narrow on ball stance w a bend at the hip instead of a wide stance, sitting in the defensive stance. Good defensive position (See below for textbook Defensive Stance…even Kawhi Leonard off ball is still wide and loaded/seated….not narrow hip hinged without a good knee bend and width. If we’d just get wide and slide, we’d improve defensively at least 10-30%. But we often are kinda shoulder width and reactionary and end up in a semi slide/run beside position once the offense dictates where we are going. Get wide…beat them to the spot when they make a move
Kawhi-Leonard-NBA.jpg
Is-LeBrons-defense-the-difference-611MSGR5-x-large.jpg
defensive+stance.jpeg

A few games ago, it seemed the team experimented with getting the defense set at about 3/4 of the court. Not really a press, but just starting to man up. IIRC, that seemed to get the guys focused, and we saw some improvement.

It seems like we've moved away from that in recent games, and I have to wonder why, as it seemed to be working. Although, perhaps I just haven't been watching the games as closely as I usually do, and we are still doing the 3/4 court defense thing.

So negative because defense has been an issue all season long so we expect it to be corrected going into post-season? If it could be fixed, it would be already. Now that being said, can they play good enough defense since their offense is so good, remains to be seen. With offense, what about the game where the shots are falling. Of course, with the team we have now, we have options. One guy is off maybe another will be on.

It's all correctable and we have a full week or so to get it fixed. Why so negative (and thorough)?

I hope they can overcome their lack of coaching here and win a title. They're a great bunch of guys who have played their assets off. Maybe the committee won't screw us in the bracket this year, and maybe the DCAA won't screw us with officials that hate us, so we can make a run in the tournament. You just never know

This is a fun team to watch, but I doubt we make it past the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 because of defense.

I'm afraid our really poor defense will be our downfall this year, simple as that. Got to play decent defense to beat the best teams and win a title. Our defense is horrible. Like others said, Saturday will be a true test if we are for real or just a pretender.

I’m taking the Cats. Who you got?

I dunno, our defense has improved over past few weeks. Feel like we're able to get stops when needed. But the ole defense allowing easy lanes to the basket is getting ridiculous. Someone has to make these guys pay if they get into the lane. We got bodies, foul the F out of them. We are more a finesse team, which is fine. Maybe the offense is good enough to overcome the defensive lapses. This is the most impressive offense I've seen at UK since the 90s. Best 3pt shooting team in our history. Maybe that means something this year. I've given up trying to figure out this team but love watching them when they are on. UT is gonna be a war. I think we win but I'm an optimist. Think we're turning the corner.

It would be nice to simply see them not stand straight up, chase the ball like rec league at the Boys & Girls Club, and just for once, get in a proper stance and lock in like D. Liggins.

I have no choice but to assume at this point that Cal tells them it's ok to let their man go by because UK has 7'ers at the rim .... who aren't very good, mind you.
Or to immediately pivot on your back foot and open the gate for a layup line without any attempt to stay in front of them.

OLE!!!!!!

Reactions: Wildcatjedi

I agree, to a point. Yes, absolutely our defense needs to improve. And a great opportunity here on the road at UT to play a high level opponent. But as far as "barometer", let's not forget this is going to be a ROWDY atmosphere that is much, much different than playing on a neutral floor in the NCAA-T.

For me, I'd actually prefer LESS pressure on the ball. Our guards are really, really poor at defending the ball and getting beat off the dribble - so less pressure, shrink the court a bit. I'd also suggest really, really focusing on a better ball-screen defensive plan. If Bradshaw is in, switch all 5 spots. If Mitchell is the 5, switch all 5 spots. If Z or Ugo are in, chase over the top of the BS and the 7-footers play drop coverage

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Counting on Cal to make defensive changes at this point in the season (or at any point, I suppose?) is laughable. We're riding this racehorse for all it has left in the tank.

Even last night, I saw where the Cat defenders like Wagner would hedge to one side of their man but the open side was a direct line to the rim. Have seen that type of defensive stance all year.

At some point, I think everyone just needs to realize what this team is. It's March 7th. It's highly unlikely that the defense will improve at all at this point.

FWIW, this team even with the 99th ranked defense in efficiency is still ranked 18th in Kenpom. We are still ranked 15th in the human polls.

It's not ideal, but if things break our way in the tournament we could very well win a bunch of games just on offense. We've been doing it this entire season basically.

Even just a little bit more effort, and a little more common sense on the defensive end, would probably vault us into the 30 or 40s. Really not a whole lot needed to be better defensively.

But it is worth noting, it's hard to do both well. Two of the best defensive teams in the nation, Houston and Virginia, also struggle to score. So I'd like to see Cal "tag" some players as defenders, and let guys like Reed and Reeves just focus more on offense. You can't score like this, if the guys don't have legs from chasing players around all game.

2 things that really hurt our defense is:

Leaving 3 pt shooters to help on drives when we have a 7 footer at the rim.

Not rotating properly to get a body on someone when our shot blockers go up to defend the rim.

These 2 areas should be SIMPLE to fix, yet we STILL struggle with them!!

Giving up offensive rebounds and open 3 pt shots are the reason we can’t keep a lead or struggle to put teams away late.

We have gotten slightly better lately, but we need to step it up starting this Saturday because the Vols are great at exploiting those areas. Hopefully we can get better NOW!!

Realistically if we can lock in for 8-10 minutes a game defensively we will be able to beat most teams assuming our offense keeps it up. Will definitely take more than that against the better teams (UConn, Purdue, Houston, UT etc) but we’ve beaten a lot of good teams just doing that this year.

The problem is we’re also an off shooting night while playing our usual defense away from losing to a 13 or 14 seed in the first round.

Truly nothing would shock me at this point. I do feel like Cal is at his best in games where no one gives us a shot (thinking of the Auburn game this year, @UT last year, @WVU in 2016 and OSU in the tourney in 2011 as games when we were significant underdogs) so I actually like our chances if we were to meet a 1 seed in the Sweet 16, assuming we don’t blow it before then

Guys, who needs defense to win? All we need it turns out is PMA (Positive.Mental.Attitude).

So turn those frowns upside down you Basketball Bennys! Haven't you learned anything over the last five years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT