ADVERTISEMENT

Larry glover just said pitino is in the mix

I posted this last night but it got lost in the mix. Norlander put out a video around 2 a.m. ET this morning. Here's his exact words on Pitino.

"I was told by a source late on Sunday night that Rick Pitino's name would be invoked here. Mitch Barnhart might not be so sweet on his name being on the list, but there will be people with real influence around the state that will try to get that thing moving."

I posted this last night but it got lost in the mix. Norlander put out a video around 2 a.m. ET this morning. Here's his exact words on Pitino.

"I was told by a source late on Sunday night that Rick Pitino's name would be invoked here. Mitch Barnhart might not be so sweet on his name being on the list, but there will be people with real influence around the state that will try to get that thing moving."
This and pitino at Keeneland this weekend money talks

Only way I would go for it is if we get turned down by everyone. Sign him to a 2-3 year deal and line up the next guy in that time.

Don't think it's going to happen, but I don't doubt there are some boosters or alumni pushing for it.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
People need to let go of the 90s at this point. Watching those teams was great, and pretty much established my love of basketball growing up, but it’s also been almost 30 years since Pitino left. The sport is different now, and I’m not convinced he’s still at the absolute pinnacle of coaches at this point in his career either. Rehiring him now won’t recreate the magic.

Pitino would be fine for a three year deal. That would give Mitch time to find his guy, the fan base would be OK with it as long as he wins. Plus it would be a bigger story that Cal to Arkansas and we would be the talk of basketball.
Pitino would be ok if it were an emergency stop gap and he was currently unemployed. That's the only way I could see that going. "Hey, Rick, wanna give us one year to get something long term in order? Could be fun, whatdya say? For old times sake?"
Could you imagine Rick giving us 2-3 years and going out on top. Man what a crazy idea…..

Pitino won a Championship at UL (a school way worse than UK.) He definitely should be considered. He can flat out coach and I bet he would love to stomp Cal at Arkansas because of the ego. Give Pitino NIL and he's going to be tough. We're hiring a basketball coach, not a pastor. Who cares about his off the court issues.

I don't want it to happen but it would be an amazing story

and a little bit of desperation from both UK and Pitino

People forget though that Pitino pretty much held the fans in contempt. He loved being the big dog in college basketball, hated having UK fans hang on his every word.

Sounds like he's had time to appreciate it.

Even if it happened, he has maybe what - 4 years left?

right now I'd rank him below Scott Drew, and I don't want Scott Drew

Have no doubt his name is being tossed around by some folks, but “in the mix” certainly doesn’t mean “a likely candidate”.

That said, imagine the fire lit under Pitino if he were brought back to his Camelot to fix what his nemesis Calipari botched. Dude would come in as hot as anyone possibly could.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT