ADVERTISEMENT

Larry glover just said pitino is in the mix

Pitino leaving created this fond legacy for everyone when you don’t know how he’d of played out over the years. Same thing would’ve happened with Cal if he left pre covid.

The reality is, Rick is a terrible human annd a scum bag…and did all of you forget all the hyperbole and selfishness from him? He was one of the greatest to do it, and gave a huge contribution to uk basketball in its worst time, but the game has passed him by. He succeeded when no one else utilized the 3 point line. And then at uofl before freedom of movement was emphasized.

Ppl say tubby won with Ricks players, but Rick lost a championship the year prior with Better players, and his title here was filled with nba players. There’s no way to know what he would’ve done in 98.

He couldn’t beat Cal here. So what’s your talking point…Rick’s the greatest at getting players to produce and cal only beat him bc he had talent? So you’re saying all you have to do is get good players and Rick folds? Other teams were able to beat those Cal teams. Many of his teams at uofl were garbage, and he had to cheat to finally win…to keep up with the guy we got rid of.

And don’t give me this “he did wonders at Iona” they won their conference 4 years in a row before he got there.

I want to win championships, Rick is no longer built for championships.
... got it. We know how you feel about Pitino. Will you support him IF SOMEHOW he's hired and returns for a 5-year stint? Obviously, Hurley would be the best hire but other than that, Pitino could be a transitional coach with a sunset date and plan in place for the right replacement. Patience may be needed going forward, a lot can happen that none of us can see right now. Best news is that Cal is gone.

I wouldn’t hire Lloyd either. Drew is OK, he just is Cal lite. Plus I don’t think he has the personality to fit.
I’ve got Lloyd 5th on my list. I think he’s basically where Nate Oats was a year ago. Recruiter. High caliber offense. Good defense. Coaching for 1 seeds.

Couple of Sweet 16s, but obviously not as successful in the tournament as you would like to see. Kind of like Oats 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Pitino would be great to right the ship and win a championship then hand it off to a younger guy like Pope or Golden to win another one like he did with tubby
Pitino isn't going to win another championship. He is what, 71 years old. What about his recent performances makes you think he can rebuild UK, much less win a championship?

Like I said, if you rule out the lists most people are posting, who is significantly better than those two? I keep seeing Wright, Stevens, Donovan, Hurley, Oats, etc. If you assume none of those want it, and I believe most of those will be a hard no, then where do you turn?
That’s hard to say. I’m not Mitch. It depends on if you want new and hungry or old and proven. Old and Proven would be a bunch of other guys that may or may not come here. Mark Few, Pearl, Shaka Smart, Beard even Buzz would be a coaching upgrade. I wouldn’t be excited about them all but I wouldn’t take someone and settle.

I’ve got Lloyd 5th on my list. I think he’s basically where Nate Oats was a year ago. Recruiter. High caliber offense. Good defense. Coaching for 1 seeds.

Couple of Sweet 16s, but obviously not as successful in the tournament as you would like to see. Kind of like Oats 2 weeks ago.
I know the least about Lloyd. I know he wins the PAC 10 but not sure that’s a huge deal at the moment. I do think they underachieved this year much like UK.

That’s hard to say. I’m not Mitch. It depends on if you want new and hungry or old and proven. Old and Proven would be a bunch of other guys that may or may not come here. Mark Few, Pearl, Shaka Smart, Beard even Buzz would be a coaching upgrade. I wouldn’t be excited about them all but I wouldn’t take someone and settle.
I can't get excited about a bunch of 65 year old coaches. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to figure this out. Once you get past the top tier coaches, there is no clear cut choice. It's going to be tough hire unless one of the top guys surprises us. That being said, I'm glad we don't have to pay millions to get rid of him.

Reactions: TriCountyCat
I know the least about Lloyd. I know he wins the PAC 10 but not sure that’s a huge deal at the moment. I do think they underachieved this year much like UK.
Not like UK. They were a two seed and lost in the Sweet 16.

Reactions: UKUGA
They were a 2 but same difference. They had a good year but watching them in early season action. I thought they were the team to beat this year.
It isn’t the same difference. The top 2 seed, staying in your home region, that’s better than the next to last 3 seed.

Sweet 16s are better than first round losses. Pretty sure this isn’t debatable.

Totally agree that they blew it though. Never should have lost to Clemson, of all teams. Losing to either Bama or UNC would have at least been respectable.

But this is why Lloyd is 5th on my list instead of 2nd or 3rd.

What’s funny about this board is most wanted Cal gone a while ago and now we get great news that he is gone and most are saying we can’t get anyone to coach here. Can’t have it both ways fellows. No one here knows who is interested and who isn’t. No one. Everyone’s opinions mean nothing in this case. There are plenty of good coaches out there and we will end up with one.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
What’s funny about this board is most wanted Cal gone a while ago and now we get great news that he is gone and most are saying we can’t get anyone to coach here. Can’t have it both ways fellows. No one here knows who is interested and who isn’t. No one. Everyone’s opinions mean nothing in this case. There are plenty of good coaches out there and we will end up with one.

I agree most wanted Cal gone. Disagree that most think we won’t get anyone. Maybe some of the worrywarts.

Rick is not the slam dunk hire at this point.

But, if you're wanting someone to fill in provisionally two-to-three years to get us to the availability window of a slam dunk hire, you're not likely to find a better candidate than Rick Pitino.
  • Would work here for peanuts.
  • Would have Final Four potential starting Year 2 at the outside.
  • Would bring unlimited energy and passion to this particular role regardless of his age or past. In some ways because of it.
  • Has practically unlimited connections to people who respect him but are effective themselves, aren't yes men.
Yes, he paid for an abortion which is terrible and from which hopefully he's repented. He claims he has.
Cal has never been quiet about his far-left politics, which means the man has supported millions of abortions in whatever ways he could. You tell me which is worse. And none of that was a problem when Cal was here winning. I'm perfectly cool supporting a repentant sinner as far as the morality part goes.

If they wanted to bring him on for offense sets, defense that kind of stuff, I'm okay with it. He surely hasn't forgotten those things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT