ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Not About KENTUCKY for Anyone But the Fans Now

UKMKG

Sophomore
Apr 8, 2012
And that sucks…

Cal has created a monster that he can’t control. He’s asleep at the wheel.

I would rather have 13 guys that care about this state and this Fanbase than every overhyped Chris Livingston and John Calipari in the world.

F all of em for profiting off of our great tradition. Make Kentucky Great Again.

Last edited:
Sadly this is true. I've loved UK basketball since the very early 80s, never missed a game if they were on TV. Went to as many games as I could. I watched about 12-15 games last year, only actually enjoyed 2 or 3 of them (just awful basketball to watch). I'm sure I will watch a little this coming season. But, my tolerance for terrible basketball and people that don't give a crap about the program will be at an all time low. My leash will be short, I've got loads of other things to do with my time and money. That growing sentiment should be scary for the program and the people running it, but it doesn't seem to be. UK will have to earn my fandom going forward, it's no longer a given.

Last edited:
For those of us who fell in love with college basketball in the early 90’s — the current state of the game is nearly unrecognizable. It’s like the homecoming queen in high school who shows up to the 20-year reunion 80 lbs heavier after having 5 kids. Like whoah, what happened to you?

Cal has destroyed this program.

He’s lost the fans. He’s lost his players. He’s lost Mitch. He’s lost the boosters.

Yet we as lifelong fans are the ones that truly suffer as he and the players collect ridiculous amounts of money while one of the poorest states in the union loses one of the few things that brings them happiness.

And that sucks…

Cal has created a monster that he can’t control. He’s asleep at the wheel.

I would rather have 13 guys that care about this state and this Fanbase than every overhyped Chris Livingston and John Calipari in the world.

F all of em. Make Kentucky Great Again.

I find it hard to believe fans would be ok with losing almost every game if we had 13 local KY guys on the team each year.

End the portal.

Go back to the "Sit out for a year" system when a player transfers.

Allow players to only transfer once unless a head coach leaves.

Keep the NIL.

That way, players can't bolt immediately, but they can stay get a piece of the pie.
I agree. As a Kentucky fan something has to be done. Other fanbases are not experiencing the same issues, however. Our coach, and his lack of leadership, have created this mess. Very few players come here with the expectation of a multi-year career. He is a joke...a laughingstock. His mantra of "I can get you to the NBA quickly" was lazy and an easier path to get top recruits. One national title.... that's it. Woeful underachiever that was given the keys to the program. Why he is scared to lead is beyond me. I guess he is afraid to challenge any of his players given, most likely, a lack of goodwill and mutual trust. In every way, shape, and form he is a snake charmer. It's caught up to him now that transfer rules and NIL are in place.

He’s lost the fans. He’s lost his players. He’s lost Mitch. He’s lost the boosters.

Yet we as lifelong fans are the ones that truly suffer as he and the players collect ridiculous amounts of money while one of the poorest states in the union loses one of the few things that brings them happiness.
total truth
UK basketball was always something that ALL the fans could take pride in, regardless of social status. Now this over paid two faced used car salesman has taken this away from all of us.
I have been following UK basketball since Rupps Runts. Last year, I may have watched 3 games. The game that coach Rupp brought to the fans is gone, replaced with grade school performance, and lousy coaching.

I don’t expect an 18 year old from out of state to really understand the tradition of UK. But I would expect the staff to let them know they’re coming somewhere special where they can build special, lifelong relationships- that can benefit them financially well after their playing days. Cal doesn’t push the tradition and history of UK, like other blue bloods do. At times, he seems to have deluded himself into thinking he is UK.

I said it in a different thread, but Cal’s first group of players seemed to embrace being at UK and interacting with the fans. The last 3-5 years have seemed like we’ve gotten guys who’d rather be anywhere else and look for any opportunity to bolt. I think the whole “it’s hard to play here” and “the fans are crazy” has bit Cal in the ass.

It just feels like everyone knows this relationship is over, but no one is willing to just rip the band aid off and be done with it.

I don’t expect an 18 year old from out of state to really understand the tradition of UK. But I would expect the staff to let them know they’re coming somewhere special where they can build special, lifelong relationships- that can benefit them financially well after their playing days. Cal doesn’t push the tradition and history of UK, like other blue bloods do. At times, he seems to have deluded himself into thinking he is UK.

I said it in a different thread, but Cal’s first group of players seemed to embrace being at UK and interacting with the fans. The last 3-5 years have seemed like we’ve gotten guys who’d rather be anywhere else and look for any opportunity to bolt. I think the whole “it’s hard to play here” and “the fans are crazy” has bit Cal in the ass.

It just feels like everyone knows this relationship is over, but no one is willing to just rip the band aid off and be done with it.
The problem is kids just don't give a crap about the history and tradition of a program in this day and age. It's all about NIL and how much they like the coach. It hasn't been about a program's prestige for a long time. Wall and Cousins didn't come to UK because of its history, they came to UK because Cal was the coach. Dickinson isn't going to KU because he loves Phog Allen or because of the program's tradition, he's going there because he went NIL hunting and they forked over the cash.

Tradition means nothing right now, no matter how much a coach educates a recruit about his program's tradition.

End the portal.

Keep the NIL.

That way, players can't bolt immediately, but they can stay get a piece of the pie.
I agree with all of this but would say NIL must have some type of cap limits. Regardless of SCOTUS rulings, appeals are warranted as opposed to allowing NIL to destroy the game. I have no problem with players receiving a stipend but there should be parity across the college landscape. Open competition using NIL money to "purchase" players to specific schools is insanity.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
We’re losing now!

I guarantee a coach like Chris Beard could get the best Kentucky talent and mold it with a few burger boys to create a contender.

He's doing a hell of a job down there(Ole Miss) in the portal as we speak. He might just turn them in to an SEC contender pretty quickly.

Reactions: Fox2monk and UKMKG
For those of us who fell in love with college basketball in the early 90’s — the current state of the game is nearly unrecognizable. It’s like the homecoming queen in high school who shows up to the 20-year reunion 80 lbs heavier after having 5 kids. Like whoah, what happened to you?
Doesn’t it seem as if the whole world has changed significantly in just the past 5 years?

He's doing a hell of a job down there(Ole Miss) in the portal as we speak. He might just turn them in to an SEC contender pretty quickly.
What are the chances Ole Miss finishes ahead of UK in the SEC this year? Pretty good I would say. Our roster looks like an 18-13 type season at this point.

Yeap. Pin it to the ****ing top.

Reactions: KFuqua and UKMKG
What UK Basketball needs right now is an awakening; we need a team like the Unforgettable's to bring excitement back.
A team like that would be awesome for this program at this moment. One that plays hard, plays for the name on its front of the jersey, wins/loses irrelevant so to speak due to their play, hustle, attitude; something to look forward too.
F**k all this drama.

The greatest day in UK history and other BS spewed out over the years is biting us in the backside.
The five stars eat first. Whether true or not doesn’t matter, that is the perception and every one has to be appeased and every one has “handlers” that have to be appeased. Position played, minutes played, number of shots its hard to make everyone happy. Hard to get people to come in and play with them when all of the minutes and shots are gone.
The model was flawed from the beginning but the changes along the way have made it worse. Covid, NIL and handlers have changed the game and the strategy has to change.

We’re losing now!

I guarantee a coach like Chris Beard could get the best Kentucky talent and mold it with a few burger boys to create a contender.

No he couldn't. What a joke. High school talent n ky sucks overall.

You people that put worshipping local high school boys above winning are just as bad as calipari.

And why doesn't beard have a team full of MS Boys next season? Looks like he has a couple with everyone else from other states. It's almost like that's the best way to win potentially. DUH!

End the portal.

Keep the NIL.

If we had a competent coach who understood how to leverage it, there would be no complaining about portal. This sort of reminds me of all the crying and complaining from other teams about the OAD system when they weren't able to leverage it to their advantage. There isn't anything wrong with the system. It is all about the coach. Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina just to name a few, should be thriving in this system. It is the little guys who should be complaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

You got 45/50 million lying around you don't need. I'm sure CCC could warm up to the idea real fast.

The greatest day in UK history and other BS spewed out over the years is biting us in the backside.
The five stars eat first. Whether true or not doesn’t matter, that is the perception and every one has to be appeased and every one has “handlers” that have to be appeased. Position played, minutes played, number of shots its hard to make everyone happy. Hard to get people to come in and play with them when all of the minutes and shots are gone.
The model was flawed from the beginning but the changes along the way have made it worse. Covid, NIL and handlers have changed the game and the strategy has to change.
I don't think that it is really that hard. I think the problem is that Cal has a broken system that doesn't reward hard work. It rewards stars. If portal and returning players believed Cal's system was based on players earning their playing with no regards to stars, most players would bet on themselves because they would be willing to put in the work to earn it. Year after year, we have watched paper stars receive playing time that wasn't earned. That system has cost us championships and the reputation of fairness.

Back in the day they did, but certainly not anymore.

I don't think that it is really that hard. I think the problem is that Cal has a broken system that doesn't reward hard work. It rewards stars. If portal and returning players believed Cal's system was based on players earning their playing with no regards to stars, most players would bet on themselves because they would be willing to put in the work to earn it. Year after year, we have watched paper stars receive playing time that wasn't earned. That system has cost us championships and the reputation of fairness.
That’s what I meant about five stars eat first. I don’t think anyone believes there is fair competition for pt.

Reactions: LmdCat
Cal made it that way. First with one-and-done, then putting players wellbeing over the program’s (Sharpe the greatest benchwarmer ever, and the rest of the long list of Cal’s quitters. Promising players playing time and refusing to bench them.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKNothinButNet
I agree. As a Kentucky fan something has to be done. Other fanbases are not experiencing the same issues, however. Our coach, and his lack of leadership, have created this mess. Very few players come here with the expectation of a multi-year career. He is a joke...a laughingstock. His mantra of "I can get you to the NBA quickly" was lazy and an easier path to get top recruits. One national title.... that's it. Woeful underachiever that was given the keys to the program. Why he is scared to lead is beyond me. I guess he is afraid to challenge any of his players given, most likely, a lack of goodwill and mutual trust. In every way, shape, and form he is a snake charmer. It's caught up to him now that transfer rules and NIL are in place.
Every school is experiencing this

Reactions: thedahc
What UK Basketball needs right now is an awakening; we need a team like the Unforgettable's to bring excitement back.
A team like that would be awesome for this program at this moment. One that plays hard, plays for the name on its front of the jersey, wins/loses irrelevant so to speak due to their play, hustle, attitude; something to look forward too.
F**k all this drama.
uk basketball needs an icewater enema

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I don't think the front of the jersey means anything to any player any more.

It's about the $$ on the check now.

Honestly, it hasn't been about the name on the front since the Pitino days for most.

Walker, Mashburn, McCarty, Delk and others came here for Pitino and getting them to the pros, not because it was UK. Early on he had the Unforgettables, but his later years were not Kentucky fans who could hoop.

No one went to Duke because they loved the University, they went there for K and what he could do for their careers. Same with Kansas, UNC, UCLA, etc

I don't think the front of the jersey means anything to any player any more.

It's about the $$ on the check now.

Honestly, it hasn't been about the name on the front since the Pitino days for most.

Walker, Mashburn, McCarty, Delk and others came here for Pitino and getting them to the pros, not because it was UK. Early on he had the Unforgettables, but his later years were not Kentucky fans who could hoop.

No one went to Duke because they loved the University, they went there for K and what he could do for their careers. Same with Kansas, UNC, UCLA, etc
I'm not sure the "name on the front of the jersey" ever mattered to any players other than those who were from the state of Kentucky. And that makes sense really. For example, if a high school kid plays for his hometown team he probably takes a lot more pride in winning for his community. But if he's recruited to play at another high school in another county, then not so much.

I saw something today that listed the number of top 10 draft picks by state in something like the last thirty years and the state of Kentucky produced zero. Tennessee had like eight high school kids on the list and North Carolina 12. We don't have the in-state talent to take enough "I love the program" kids to compete.

Reactions: G-PIP
They lost me in 2020 When a bunch of 18 year old kids who had been pampered all their lives by agents and AAU programs came here from out of state, who knew nothing about the history of the program, who decided to join Faculty at UK in making a racism stand against Adolph Rupp and UK because it was a popular topic at the time. Cal sat by as they all demanded Rupp be erased. Some context by Cal would have gone a long way.

I could not tell you a single one of those players names today.

You are really exaggerating. He has lost some of the fans. I see no proof whatsoever that he's lost the players. Mitch says he and Cal have a good relationship. There are reports that he may not be close to a few boosters. That doesn't matter because he has a new NIL collective that analysts say is already helping recruiting. I am also sick and tired of people on this forum complaining about players making money.
People have been making billions of dollars off of these players. It's about time the players have been given the opportunity to make money.

The only thing cal is guilty of is getting UK to this place 5 years before everyone else did it. Every team goes after the best players available, and every kid wants to be paid.

It was never about Duke, either. It was always about Coach K.

Jamal Mashburn didn't come here because it was Kentucky. He came here because of Rick Pitino. Same with Walker, Delk, McCarty, Anderson, Mercer, and so forth and so on. Only the gullible believe these players go to these schools because of the school. They aren't at Kentucky for a molecular genetics degree.

I'm not sure the "name on the front of the jersey" ever mattered to any players other than those who were from the state of Kentucky. And that makes sense really. For example, if a high school kid plays for his hometown team he probably takes a lot more pride in winning for his community. But if he's recruited to play at another high school in another county, then not so much.

Fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT