ADVERTISEMENT

How many WNBA players (past and present) can you name?

Leo Leonardo Dicaprio GIF - Leo Leonardo Dicaprio Oscars2016 GIFs
Are you 12?

30ish maybe. It's as interesting to watch as most sports that doesn't have a Kentucky team. And they play more physical than the men do.

Easy to mock the “who cares” but it’s a valid question. This board seriously needs a wnba page to contain all of these threads. Yes, I’m well aware that they can be skipped/ignored but what does it have to do with UK basketball as this page is intended for?
This page constantly has topics not related to basketball than people don’t complain about ad nauseam.

The NBA is discussed constantly, and players that aren’t related to UK at all. LeBron is on here a lot, but I assume that’s fine because people love talking crap about him.

Right now on the first page there’s this thread, two about Caitlyn Clark, one about this being a lull in the sports calendar, one about Joe Mazulla, and one about the Pistons firing their coach. There was a thread about HS NIL in North Carolina. A thread about the CFO of Tyson getting arrested. And don’t get me started on the constant threads from people asking for prayers.

But for some reason women’s sports are the only threads that trigger people.

Some of you sound like the little old lady that called the police because golfers were out there wizzing in the trees. The cop came over, looked and saw nothing.

She said stand up on this chair and use these binaculours and you can !!

If you don't like the thread, move on. Protesting a harmless thread in the summertime only shows that you have serious control ssues.

I have to say for the life of me I’ve never understood why someone cares about a meaningless thread on a message board enough to click it, argue it, maintain responses, and make an issue of it. It’s just always been strange to me. I mean think about it, someone is scrolling a useless message board and sees a thread, becomes upset? Clicks into it with the purpose of trying to shut it down and just argues all throughout it. Why? What kind of emotion elicits that kind of action?

Directed at no one in particular I just always find it odd. This place means less than nothing.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
This page constantly has topics not related to basketball than people don’t complain about ad nauseam.

The NBA is discussed constantly, and players that aren’t related to UK at all. LeBron is on here a lot, but I assume that’s fine because people love talking crap about him.

Right now on the first page there’s this thread, two about Caitlyn Clark, one about this being a lull in the sports calendar, one about Joe Mazulla, and one about the Pistons firing their coach. There was a thread about HS NIL in North Carolina. A thread about the CFO of Tyson getting arrested. And don’t get me started on the constant threads from people asking for prayers.

Because women’s basketball does suck. Compared to those topics it’s way down the list. I get why some couldn’t care less to talk about it especially in comparison to dramatic or interesting “real” sports topics, I just don’t know why it matters if there is a meaningless thread topic about it. Just don’t worry about it lol.

Having said that I do and always have wanted UK women to do well and if Brooks gets this team to national relevance more people will care, women’s sports or not. Kentucky is basketball king in SEC, there is literally no reason for us to not be leading the way. A lot of this is because Barnhart really sucks at moving our Wbasketball program into real heights. He’s simply tried to get by and save some cash that much is obvious. We’d have already had championship coaches if he was willing to pay them. Maybe that’s changing.

Women’s basketball is still a pretty crappy product though. That’s why so many would rather talk about the Tyson guy getting arrested lol and why we’re basketball royalty have have never cared enough. I think with the new conference adjustments, contracts, and revenue, we’re about to see final fours / championships now.

I have to admit.. I'm starting to get slightly interested. Maybe its just the theatrics of CC's hype and all the other players who hate her.. but it makes for an interesting product. The WWE is fully fake, but people like it for the personalities. The WNBA has a little bit of that right now. Heros vs villains.

The game is still too clunky for me to ever get too invested. But I might turn the finals on if CC is in it, or even some of the other bigger names.

I'm not meaning to knock the WNBA here -- like a lot of sports, it's not my thing, but I'm glad it's getting attention. With all the recent Caitlin Clark talk, I'm genuinely curious.

My entire list:

Rhyne Howard
Brittney Griner
Caitlin Clark
Angel Reese

For the record, soccer's the most popular sport in the world and I can name Pele, Messi, and Ronaldo.
Sue Bird, Larry's wife? Angel Reese,

I don't know whats funnier.... People that get offended people care about CC because she's fun to watch or people who pretend the wnba is known for it's physical play and superior strength and athleticism.

Seriously? Do you actually watch games? College or WNBA? Or just from highlights? I can watch a few marquee college games, but that's about all I can handle.
I watched the women’s Final 4 this year because of Caitlin Clark and my wife got into it because of Clark as well. Those were the only women’s games I’ve ever watched. 40 players all time really isn’t much if you think about it.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Ha,, that Clark woman.. Hell the only one from UK I can remember is Reeds mom,, whatever her name is..
I have to admit.. I'm starting to get slightly interested. Maybe its just the theatrics of CC's hype and all the other players who hate her.. but it makes for an interesting product. The WWE is fully fake, but people like it for the personalities. The WNBA has a little bit of that right now. Heros vs villains.

The game is still too clunky for me to ever get too invested. But I might turn the finals on if CC is in it, or even some of the other bigger names.

Haven't watched a second of wnba.

I did watch a little Iowa when at my parents because my dad was watching. He is the guy who will watch any type of sport.

I didn't watch any of the final four or title game this year or last. I did check espn app on phone some and that's due to clark. I also 100% rooted for the sec teams against Iowa as well and don't feel bad. Other than UT, I am fully a sec person.

Actually, I complain about all of them at least once. But how much can you complain?

I just can't fathom why people think it's appropriate to post off topic stuff here. But I can't fathom a lot about people these days.

Actually, I complain about all of them at least once. But how much can you complain?

I just can't fathom why people think it's appropriate to post off topic stuff here. But I can't fathom a lot about people these days.
Some people never follow rules. We have other forums created by Cats Illustrated, but instead of following the forum topics and moving off topic discussion to the correct forums, mods take the easy approach same as most large city attorney generals. Then, they wonder why Walmart, after 2 years of brazen shoplifting at an inner city store close it all together. Those same people want to spread chaos in all aspects of life. Rules, haha, we don’t need rules! Every man or woman for them selves. Higher societies that function best are based on rules and following the rules, with consequences for not following the rules

I really didn’t mind the first few CC threads and discussion. She is one of the best things to happen to women’s basketball in a very long time.

However, as inevitably happens, the threads turned into a racial mud throwing contest. When threads turn into racial discussions, why not let people know they can continue the discussion but in another forum more appropriate for political/cultural issues.

Why dilute your best product, Rupps Rafters, with what amounts to anonymous racism. It is not a good look for visitors, possibly recruits who come here because competing schools may point to this forum and say, see just a bunch of crazy racists.

At least by moving it to another more appropriate forum, it is not so readily identified with Ky Basketball.

I am not promoting deleting the thread or banning people, just keep the discussion in an appropriate forum.

I know some of the names simply because I just happened to watch the NCAAW Tournament but off the top of my head

Taurasi, Griner, Skylar Diggins, Breanna Stewart, Arike Ogunbawale (sp?), Kelsey Plum, Aja Wilson, Boston, Sabrina something from the Liberty who faced Curry in 3 pt contest.

Then this rookie class- Clark, Reeeeeese, Brink, Kate Martin, Cardoso

EDIT: I just saw you can include past players- Lisa Leslie, Cynthis Cooper, Swoops, Lobo, Maya Moore, Holdsclaw, Sue Bird, Candace Parker, Augustus

So like 25.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Dee
I don't follow women's basketball much at any level, but I'd wager I could name 20+ WNBA players past & present. In contrast to other "major" sports, I can't think of maybe more than 6 hockey players, two soccer players, maybe a dozen golfers and probably 20 or fewer tennis players, mostly because I have a couple of friends who follow tennis closely. I used to follow NASCAR closely, but now, I probably couldn't name 5 drivers who I'm sure are still driving.

The fever plays on cw today
Back in the sixties and seventies if women were associated with the word fever that took on a whole different meaning they even had a hit song about it

I just looked up the all-time leading scoring leaders in WNBA History. Taurasi is 10,361. The second closest player is Tina Thompson with 7,488.

This is over the course of 20 years for Taurasi whose career average is 19 ppg. Thompson played 17 years and averaged 15 ppg.

Taurasi averaged over 20 ppg seven seasons. Thompson just one and it was exactly 20.

For reference, if Clark just averaged what she currently does for 12 years, she's the second all-time leading scorer. That's crazy.

I'm not meaning to knock the WNBA here -- like a lot of sports, it's not my thing, but I'm glad it's getting attention. With all the recent Caitlin Clark talk, I'm genuinely curious.

My entire list:

Rhyne Howard
Brittney Griner
Caitlin Clark
Angel Reese

For the record, soccer's the most popular sport in the world and I can name Pele, Messi, and Ronaldo.
What is the WNBA?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT