ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Not About KENTUCKY for Anyone But the Fans Now

UK basketball is such an afterthought to you that you just expressed relief that the Canada exhibition games can be watched on CBS. [roll]

The daily posters/Cal haters here are so full of shite. That’s why nobody takes them seriously. Certainly not Cal.
Good job detective Ed, you got me! I’m going to watch the Canada games. New season, new hope that things will be different

I probably missed 10-15 games last year, likely the same this upcoming season but while MLB is on their all-star break and I’ve got time, I’ll tune in

Found this on HOB but this is a perfect example of nobody caring about UK but the fans. This was what recruit Tre Johnson had to say about UK and KU.

Kentucky: “I could be one of their one-and-done players, one of their guys that comes there for eight months and goes on to be a pro and develop in the NBA.”

Kansas: “I could come in and jell with the team and also try and win the [NCAA] Tournament and also be one of their guards that goes to the NBA.”

With us it’s all about using 8 months to maximize your draft stock. With KU and other schools it’s about fitting in and trying to win along with going pro.

Found this on HOB but this is a perfect example of nobody caring about UK but the fans. This was what recruit Tre Johnson had to say about UK and KU.

Kentucky: “I could be one of their one-and-done players, one of their guys that comes there for eight months and goes on to be a pro and develop in the NBA.”

Kansas: “I could come in and jell with the team and also try and win the [NCAA] Tournament and also be one of their guards that goes to the NBA.”

With us it’s all about using 8 months to maximize your draft stock. With KU and other schools it’s about fitting in and trying to win along with going pro.
Seems like you’re more about Kansas than Kentucky. Cherry picking quotes to paint a false narrative that puts down Kentucky and props up Kansas.

Reactions: Riddickulis
A guy who stalks people on Facebook telling someone to get a life. You’re a complete scumbag…. and you know it. Poor old loser. Post my real name and Facebook profile, stalker boy. Old fart loser.
Hahahahaha I definitely don’t stalk people. You have some really bad issues. You won’t tell the truth and you keep multiple accounts going and pretend you’re different people. You drink cheerleader beer, you wuss. I’m not old and I promise you If you seen me in person you’d run away like the coward you are.

Poor Woodrow aka Jedwar. Running his own site into the ground because he can’t control himself. Id laugh uncontrollably if I ever met his puny arse.
Running into the ground? Because the mods don’t allow you and your 3-4 accounts do whatever you want? Hahahaha You wouldn’t laugh if you seen me, you’d piss your pants and run to your mommy.

Last edited:
We’re losing now!

I guarantee a coach like Chris Beard could get the best Kentucky talent and mold it with a few burger boys to create a contender.
And he’s an outstanding role model. We all would be proud to have him as the standard bearer of UK basketball.

Reactions: thedahc
The sports industry has become rediculous. Purely marketing driven. No loyalties or sincerity.

It has been going on for decades. It was inevitable. I've said this for years.

The only reason these products exist is due to the loyal, simple minded, undying support - and money - so many fans of many stripes pride.

The powers at be, the networks/advertisers, the coaches, the agents, the schools, the players, and yes entities like KSR (just one of many examples) are benefiting from this. And the fans still eat it up.

Why the hell are any of you surprised it has become what it has become?

Thank you for starting this thread. I have know this and seen it coming for years. It's time folks to take a step back and see reality for what it is. I'm all for capitalism and this evolution of sports, for better or worse, is a fine example. Open your eyes.

IMO that ought to be a firable offense for Calipari. Inexcusable.

You don't have to be a lifelong UK local to be a diehard UK guy.

When you go all in on the program you're playing for, it's easy to become that guy, but it comes down to the environment within the walls and the culture of the program.

The guys playing for 90% of the programs out there, fly their schools flag like they belong to something. That’s not happening at UK, because the culture is about next level. It’s not about UK right now and there's no arguing that.

Cal hates the fans, he mocks us, he talks down to us and he's made us the enemy, so you can imagine how the players feel about us. But the fans have always done their part. We pack every arena and treat these 1 year players like they're Gods, but the fans can't overcome the NBA first culture Cal created and they can't overcome the walls Cal builds around the players to keep the fans at bay.

I can't wait until this carnival barking players agent hits the bricks and we get a coach in here that creates a UK first culture.

You can create a UK first culture AND put kids in the NBA, there are 60 players that get drafted every year and they certainly aren't all UK kids.

When you go all in on the program you're playing for, it's easy to become that guy, but it comes down to the environment within the walls and the culture of the program.

The guys playing for 90% of the programs out there, fly their schools flag like they belong to something. That’s not happening at UK, because the culture is about next level. It’s not about UK right now and there's no arguing that.

Cal hates the fans, he mocks us, he talks down to us and he's made us the enemy, so you can imagine how the players feel about us. But the fans have always done their part. We pack every arena and treat these 1 year players like they're Gods, but the fans can't overcome the NBA first culture Cal created and they can't overcome the walls Cal builds around the players to keep the fans at bay.

I can't wait until this carnival barking players agent hits the bricks and we get a coach in here that creates a UK first culture.

You can create a UK first culture AND put kids in the NBA, there are 60 players that get drafted every year and they certainly aren't all UK kids.
That seems to be the case (Cal vs Fans) My question is why and was it always that way or did it get that way at some point?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
That seems to be the case (Cal vs Fans) My question is why and was it always that way or did it get that way at some point?
Cal can't take the critisism. Oh he can dish it out, but he thinks he's God and we should be okay with massive amounts of losses, because 20010-2015 was so great and none of the recent losses were his fault.

If you're going to prioritize the NBA, you better win here, because if you don't, you're going to get hammered.

That’s the biggest part of this. Losing is one thing, but we're losing because he is growing a culture that puts UK behind the NBA, individual accomplishments and individual goals. If he was all about UK, if he took accountability and if he was at least a little humble, things would be different, but he is attacking the fans while he continues to fail.

I don’t expect an 18 year old from out of state to really understand the tradition of UK. But I would expect the staff to let them know they’re coming somewhere special where they can build special, lifelong relationships- that can benefit them financially well after their playing days. Cal doesn’t push the tradition and history of UK, like other blue bloods do. At times, he seems to have deluded himself into thinking he is UK.

I said it in a different thread, but Cal’s first group of players seemed to embrace being at UK and interacting with the fans. The last 3-5 years have seemed like we’ve gotten guys who’d rather be anywhere else and look for any opportunity to bolt. I think the whole “it’s hard to play here” and “the fans are crazy” has bit Cal in the ass.

It just feels like everyone knows this relationship is over, but no one is willing to just rip the band aid off and be done with it.
One of our new recruits said the other day it was nothing about coming to Kentucky, but it was all about Coach Cal getting him to the NBA....

It was never about Duke, either. It was always about Coach K.

Jamal Mashburn didn't come here because it was Kentucky. He came here because of Rick Pitino. Same with Walker, Delk, McCarty, Anderson, Mercer, and so forth and so on. Only the gullible believe these players go to these schools because of the school. They aren't at Kentucky for a molecular genetics degree.
Exactly. It's very humbling for some to realize it has very little to do with the name on the front ot the chest. Nobody gives a shit about Kentucky,never really did. But they care about Cal and how productive his players are when they get to the NBA a recipe for success, long term. Some people can respect that and some can't. Go Big Blue.

The problem is kids just don't give a crap about the history and tradition of a program in this day and age. It's all about NIL and how much they like the coach. It hasn't been about a program's prestige for a long time. Wall and Cousins didn't come to UK because of its history, they came to UK because Cal was the coach. Dickinson isn't going to KU because he loves Phog Allen or because of the program's tradition, he's going there because he went NIL hunting and they forked over the cash.

Tradition means nothing right now, no matter how much a coach educates a recruit about his program's tradition.

And that sucks…

Cal has created a monster that he can’t control. He’s asleep at the wheel.

I would rather have 13 guys that care about this state and this Fanbase than every overhyped Chris Livingston and John Calipari in the world.

F all of em for profiting off of our great tradition. Make Kentucky Great Again.
In all fairness, this is like pro players had an allegiance to their teams yesteryear.
Free agency opened the door to more money and a chance to play for another team.
The urge to better oneself existed and now they could live the dream.
In college you came to a team, stayed 4 years and if lucky you were drafted to play in the pros.
You had no portal, no one and done and no nil.
It was forced compliance.

And that sucks…

Cal has created a monster that he can’t control. He’s asleep at the wheel.

I would rather have 13 guys that care about this state and this Fanbase than every overhyped Chris Livingston and John Calipari in the world.

F all of em for profiting off of our great tradition. Make Kentucky Great Again.

Believe what you want to but you have a really distorted view of what it is really like to play at UK. Your view and the comments from Cal, recruits, players and former players are polar opposities.

Sadly this is true. I've loved UK basketball since the very early 80s, never missed a game if they were on TV. Went to as many games as I could. I watched about 12-15 games last year, only actually enjoyed 2 or 3 of them (just awful basketball to watch). I'm sure I will watch a little this coming season. But, my tolerance for terrible basketball and people that don't give a crap about the program will be at an all time low. My leash will be short, I've got loads of other things to do with my time and money. That growing sentiment should be scary for the program and the people running it, but it doesn't seem to be. UK will have to earn my fandom going forward, it's no longer a given.
None of them ever cared about the state, except maybe the in state kids

Believe what you want to but you have a really distorted view of what it is really like to play at UK. Your view and the comments from Cal, recruits, players and former players are polar opposities.
No, I have a very clear view. You can continue on with being oblivious to what's happening right in front of you, I choose to deal in reality.
Under Cal, UK slides in behind the NBA draft, or whatever the next level is for these players he brings in.
2010 NBA draft night: Cal says "This is the greatest night in UK history". He wasn't joking, he was serious.

He’s been making threads about you while you’ve been gone.
Karen's off the meds again... [laughing]

EOQWKpH.png

Reactions: UKortho

Now go back and post what other players have posted. Like guys that we t to UK. Well most em. Perfect died on the cross a long time ago man. In case nobody told you. I mean the same old lame shots get played out. I agree it's not perfect but I don't see anyone particularly killin it. Post what Shepherd or DJ said top recruits or if you want lower rated guys to ask like SGA or Herro, Therio list goes on and on. I'll bet it's 80 percent good and 20 percent not so good and like maybe 5 percent says f@#$ UK. Those 5 percent didn't cut it. So say what you want. Just my blue tinted 👓 . I'll probably get killed but that's my take

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT