ADVERTISEMENT

It’s actually embarrassing how…..

St.PatterSoN-54-

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
……..bad our supposedly very athletic guards look on defense.
Our guys play totally upright with hands down and completely failing to stay between their man and the basket.

I blame this on Cal.

Teach them how to play defense!!!!!! (edited)

Last edited:
I'm no Cal fan boy, but the guy usually gets his teams to play Def, and pretty well. We're a couple games into conference play. Cal will get the Def figured out. Relax. There's a long way to go.

EDIT; and there's no value added by your juvenile name calling. Just makes you look ridiculous.

Our guys play totally upright with hands down and completely failing to stay between their man and the basket.

I blame this on Cal.

Teach them how to play defense, you bloated jagoff!
The dude has always had solid defensive teams so I can’t blame it squarely on him. You’ve got several defensively minded dudes in that bench. Chin, Ulis, etc. not sure what the issue is.

Part of the current problem is missing Thiero, that results in one of the softest players in recent memory getting too many min. We'll get Theiro back, Bradshaw (and Ugo) will get some more battle testing, and the guys 'should' individually get smarter on Def. They seem like an unselfish bunch, so once they buy in and sacrifice for team, it 'should' come together. Fingers crossed, but I'm not panicking over it yet.

Our weakness is not so much the guards but the lack of physical interior players. Ugo is a decent defensive player but Bradshaw is not. Bradshaw seems in a long line of Cal big men recruits that are afraid to mix it up physically. Same with Edwards. Mitchell is a good offensive player and is OK defensively but he is not a physical center but a natural forward. So, when you don't have the inside defense our guards have to defend the interior allowing easy open outside looks for our opponents. Bradshaw and Edwards are the problems even though Bradshaw hit key shots against Florida. Why is he starting over Ugo? Hopefully, somehow both at some point during this season start demonstrating their high ratings.

I blame this on Cal.

Cal called BCG and found out they aren’t tough enough. He told them to get tougher, we shall see how it plays out tomorrow night. Cal”s coaching 101 for Dummies, Chapter 6. Tell players to get tougher and play defense.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I'm no Cal fan boy, but the guy usually gets his teams to play Def, and pretty well. We're a couple games into conference play. Cal will get the Def figured out. Relax. There's a long way to go.

EDIT; and there's no value added by your juvenile name calling. Just makes you look ridiculous.
There’s probably a reason for that. When you’re playing plow mule offense, your defense is going to look better. This team gets up and down the floor so another smoke and mirror of Cal has been discovered.

In his time here I’ve never seen our guards been able to keep anyone in front of them.

There’s probably a reason for that. When you’re playing plow mule offense, your defense is going to look better. This team gets up and down the floor so another smoke and mirror of Cal has been discovered.

In his time here I’ve never seen our guards been able to keep anyone in front of them.
Cal's defenses have largely been good because he can funnel the ball handler to a generational shot blocker in the middle. He had Cousins, Davis, Jones, and Willey Cauley Stein/Towns/Randle in 2013-2015. This team doesn't have that elite shot blocker. Ugonna is decent but he doesn't start. Bradshaw isn't that type of shot blocker.

I blame this on Cal.

A&M shot 40% for the game. Something like 32% from 3.

Do you blame Cal for your lack of observation skills too?

Reactions: Graham51 and gojvc
Our weakness is not so much the guards but the lack of physical interior players. Ugo is a decent defensive player but Bradshaw is not. Bradshaw seems in a long line of Cal big men recruits that are afraid to mix it up physically. Same with Edwards. Mitchell is a good offensive player and is OK defensively but he is not a physical center but a natural forward. So, when you don't have the inside defense our guards have to defend the interior allowing easy open outside looks for our opponents. Bradshaw and Edwards are the problems even though Bradshaw hit key shots against Florida. Why is he starting over Ugo? Hopefully, somehow both at some point during this season start demonstrating their high ratings.
I guess it's easy to sit there laughing it up (when he was injured) and clowning around, because it wasn't him that had to be out there. But now that he's playing he runs from contact and asks to be subbed out. AB needs to be getting garbage minutes for when Mitchell and Ugonna need to come out. And he should never step outside the free throw line.

Cal: “blame me not these kids”

blames cal instead of the kids

“cal live rent free”

Bro...love ya but...same people every day find anything they can to rag on the coach, all day, everyday. It is absurd. It is obsession. It is weird.

Outlandish stuff. Things that don't even make sense. Conspiracy theories, can't coach, names, etc. Just bizarre.

DJ got cooked more that the other guards against A&M. But he didn’t have much help from our bigs.
They all did. It’s maddening to watch guards let their man go by like they’re stuck in glue.

It comes from a lack of fundamentals and accountability.

But don’t blame the coach….he can’t do it all.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

I blame this on Cal.

Damn dude, relax with all the name calling and the "f@ck you Cal!" in every single thread. It's crazy.

We can be unhappy and want improvement without some of the stuff you post around here.

Goodness gracious.

Why is Edwards literally starting over anyone on this team? He’s one of the most disappointing players we’ve ever had here.

Last edited:

I blame this on Cal.

Teach them how to play defense!!!!!! (edited)
Of course u do. We've always had good defensive teams and the year we don't it must be his fault

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I guess it's easy to sit there laughing it up (when he was injured) and clowning around, because it wasn't him that had to be out there. But now that he's playing he runs from contact and asks to be subbed out. AB needs to be getting garbage minutes for when Mitchell and Ugonna need to come out. And he should never step outside the free throw line.
Bradshaw may be the worst big on defense we've had. He has no idea what going straight up means. Wcs was so great at that.

I said in another thread earlier in week... I believe they are just trying to win with offense. This team is extra special offensively. It may very well be the future of the game and why not try and get out in front of it. You will lose some road games in conference but doesn't everyone... The refs make sure that happens. It's March when this will matter and games are called correctly. Some of our best teams couldn't win at south Carolina or anywhere in conference but could beat the number 1 ranked Ohio State team in the tournament. Conf road games are a joke

Bradshaw may be the worst big on defense we've had. He has no idea what going straight up means. Wcs was so great at that.
I tend to agree with this and it might not be popular opinion. Ugo has much better instincts on the defensive end. That’s not to say Bradshaw can’t get there, but at times he becomes a defensive liability and trying to block everything, you become a rebounding liability as well.

I said in another thread earlier in week... I believe they are just trying to win with offense. This team is extra special offensively. It may very well be the future of the game and why not try and get out in front of it. You will lose some road games in conference but doesn't everyone... The refs make sure that happens. It's March when this will matter and games are called correctly. Some of our best teams couldn't win at south Carolina or anywhere in conference but could beat the number 1 ranked Ohio State team in the tournament. Conf road games are a joke
I think it's a coaching issue. No way the entire staff sits there and doesn't see that AB defends like he's 6'2". That or they have told him and he's not receptive. I also agree that road games are tough, but I don't really buy into "conference" playing into it. Especially when people say "oh this conference plays a different way than that way", but I know you weren't suggesting that. The coaching staff needs to be doing a better job, unless they're just a bunch of recruiters who go home and pet their dogs.

I think it's a coaching issue. No way the entire staff sits there and doesn't see that AB defends like he's 6'2". That or they have told him and he's not receptive. I also agree that road games are tough, but I don't really buy into "conference" playing into it. Especially when people say "oh this conference plays a different way than that way", but I know you weren't suggesting that. The coaching staff needs to be doing a better job, unless they're just a bunch of recruiters who go home and pet their dogs.

I was petting my dog when I read this. 🤣

Why is Edwards literally starting over anyone in this team? He’s one of the most disappointing players we’ve ever had here.
Those that say cal doesn’t promise players starting positions need look no further than Edwards and Bradshaw. Neither have done anything this year to have earned a starting role yet here they are and here they will stay regardless of production.

Dude lives rent free in some of the heads on this board.
Well what do you think the reason for the poor defense is? Players? Because it can really only be coaching, players or a combination of both. And in two of those scenarios, Cal is to blame. And in the other one, it's the players he recruited and is supposed to be teaching, directing and developing strategies to make them perform the best they can as a group. So really, it's all three.

Some people can actually take issue with a situation without being a hater. The world isn't black and white.

(And in full disclosure, I might actually be a Cal hater at this point. But it didn't happen overnight. I loved him for several years at the start. But I hate the damage I think he's doing to the program and I hate that he doesn't have the right priorities for a college basketball program and I hate that he refuses to give 100% to coaching whatever kids he has to be the best college basketball team they can be. So call me a hater if you want).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT