ADVERTISEMENT

It’s actually embarrassing how…..

……..bad our supposedly very athletic guards look on defense.
Our guys play totally upright with hands down and completely failing to stay between their man and the basket.

I blame this on Cal.

Teach them how to play defense!!!!!! (edited)
Every single post you make blamed Cal.

I think part of the reason is the change in philosophy on shooting.

Defense was the reason Cal always had 6'5 to 6'7 long athletes that couldn't shoot. Guys that can't shoot had to go to the basket and finish with contact, and defend, aka were tough. Didn't shy from contact.

Kids that can shoot tend to avoid contact more and just focus on getting back down the floor and jacking up another shot. Too many kids think they are Kevin Durant. Want to be all skill and no contact. Makes defense, driving the ball, and rebounding tough to get through to them.

Feels like an issue with Bradshaw and Edwards mostly. We need them to be elite defenders and they are not even good a lot. Bradshaw not nearly the shot blocker we though, and Edwards should be a threat too, but isn't really.

DJ is a dawg. Not perfect but he's a strength on D at the guard spot. Usually runs out rather than box out, so hard to complain.

Reed and Dilly just take too many chances trying to reach and help. Don't box out and chases the ball. I'll take it, but just need to settle down and communicate. They also run out often, which we want situationally.

Tre just doesn't have the motor most of the time, and ball watches instead of boxing out.

Of course u do. We've always had good defensive teams and the year we don't it must be his fault
We have not Always had good defensive teams,last years was terrible and the year before when we lost to St. Tomato Can in the first round was even worse. Instead of continuing the civil war between Camp Cal and everyone else it would nice to have a discussion about what we can DO to fix our defense with the players we have. I dont care who is to BLAME at this point, Id just like to see us fix it. If we dont this season will spiral into failure

You always can tell a loser when they always have someone to blame and call people names. Didn't we just have a thread by @JRowland that there would be a 1 day ban for name calling.
Winners try to fix the problem. They work at. They don't continually bash our players when the definitely have more at stake than us fans do. We as fans should support them and pull for them. What a joke! Lets get Miss State. We obviously have to have strong interior defense tonight while keeping tabs on Hubbard. We will get better. Its the middle of January. Stay positive. We got this.

Go Cats!

We have not Always had good defensive teams,last years was terrible and the year before when we lost to St. Tomato Can in the first round was even worse. Instead of continuing the civil war between Camp Cal and everyone else it would nice to have a discussion about what we can DO to fix our defense with the players we have. I dont care who is to BLAME at this point, Id just like to see us fix it. If we dont this season will spiral into failure
Cal is toying with the fanbase, he's going to come back at the end of the season with "See? You Basketball Bennies wanted to score more points, and this is what you get. Now we'll go back to rock fights so we can play better defense and you people can just shut up." And Barney will award him with a 20 year extension.

You always can tell a loser when they always have someone to blame and call people names. Didn't we just have a thread by @JRowland that there would be a 1 day ban for name calling.
Winners try to fix the problem. They work at. They don't continually bash our players when the definitely have more at stake than us fans do. We as fans should support them and pull for them. What a joke! Lets get Miss State. We obviously have to have strong interior defense tonight while keeping tabs on Hubbard. We will get better. Its the middle of January. Stay positive. We got this.

Go Cats!
Interesting that you linked the mod's name, so he'll come into this thread. Nobody likes a tattletale. Were you a hall monitor in high school?

Well what do you think the reason for the poor defense is? Players? Because it can really only be coaching, players or a combination of both. And in two of those scenarios, Cal is to blame. And in the other one, it's the players he recruited and is supposed to be teaching, directing and developing strategies to make them perform the best they can as a group. So really, it's all three.

Some people can actually take issue with a situation without being a hater. The world isn't black and white.

(And in full disclosure, I might actually be a Cal hater at this point. But it didn't happen overnight. I loved him for several years at the start. But I hate the damage I think he's doing to the program and I hate that he doesn't have the right priorities for a college basketball program and I hate that he refuses to give 100% to coaching whatever kids he has to be the best college basketball team they can be. So call me a hater if you want).

100% on players and staff.

There is a way to be critical of our program, players and coach without some of the nonsense typed on this board. Some folks are either stupid or children...or maybe stupid children, but they aren't normal.

Reactions: skcatfan
Interesting that you linked the mod's name, so he'll come into this thread. Nobody likes a tattletale. Were you a hall monitor in high school?
No, I was voted mostly likely to be in detention after school and I invented the Time Out chair so no i was not a hall monitor and I never got in trouble for calling people names but. What i am guilty of is I am tired of reading stuff from people from Louisville just constanttly crying about my Ky Wildcats when they know nothing about basketball. NOTHING
GO BACK BEING A TARD FAN.
GO CATS.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
No, I was voted mostly likely to be in detention after school and I invented the Time Out chair so no i was not a hall monitor and I never got in trouble for calling people names but. What i am guilty of is I am tired of people reading stuff from people Louisville just constanttly crying about my Ky Wildcats when they know nothing about basketball. NOTHING
GO CATS.
Unintelligible drivel. I can see why you were in detention a lot - you can't even construct a sentence.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
100% on players and staff.

There is a way to be critical of our program, players and coach without some of the nonsense typed on this board. Some folks are either stupid or children...or maybe stupid children, but they aren't normal.
You're completely right. Here goes. Let me know if this touchy-feely version makes you feel better. I want you to know that I typed these comments while whispering, so please don't get offended because you feel I'm raising my voice.

*I sometimes feel FRUSTRATED when Calipari refuses to make logical adjustments that could win close ballgames.

*I sometimes feel SAD that Calipari coached teams continue to make the same mistakes that fumble away close games late.

*I sometimes feel CONFUSED that Calipari coached teams don't try different defensive strategies to force the ball out of the hands of players that are embarrassing them.

*I sometimes feel PERPLEXED that Calipari coached teams don't focus on winning fundamental defensive strategies, like staying in front of their man, and boxing out until the rebound is secured.

Boy, I feel better already. You're right. We should all be gentle in criticism of our program.

Our guys play totally upright with hands down and completely failing to stay between their man and the basket.

I blame this on Cal.

I have been watching Reeves stand straight up on defense for years and the next thing you know a guard is on his hip and then past him. It's irritating game after game because most of it is easily fixable and not about ability.

Go Cats!
Who are you calling "losers?"
I believe most posters here are blaming the coaching not the players, as they should.

No, I was voted mostly likely to be in detention after school and I invented the Time Out chair so no i was not a hall monitor and I never got in trouble for calling people names but. What i am guilty of is I am tired of reading stuff from people from Louisville just constanttly crying about my Ky Wildcats when they know nothing about basketball. NOTHING
GO CATS.
So a fan can't be rightfully critical of the coaching? It's a basketball team, not a cult. Good grief.

Reactions: Mike-McD
GO CATS.
I live in Louisville and can hardly be called a tard fan. Louisville is probably 50/50 split between red and blue. Just a horrible take. Also I know a thing or two about basketball and our defensive woes are pretty simple. Cal is a one trick pony, opposing coaches know this and prepare their teams accordingly. Imagine if you were an offensive coordinator in football and the opposing defensive coordinator played the same defense from start to finish every single game no matter what. How easy would that make your play calling and ability to move the ball and score. Your whole preparation for the game is so easy because you know exactly how they are going to try and defend. And that is why our defense sucks, cal has put the players in a disadvantage as he is telling the other coach exactly how we are going to attempt to stop them.

Go Cats!
They rarely enforce that on the Rafters side. but I did get banned from the Thiero thread for calling someone an AH. I thought the abbreviation was for Awesome Human!

There's a Youtube video of 30 minutes of highlights of the game. I watched it yesterday. I couldn't find a UK guard standing upright on defense. Maybe all the standing upright moments of the game were in those other 10 minutes.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but that it's an odd editorial choice for the person who put the video together. Usually they edit out empty possessions and guards bringing the ball upcourt following a made basket.

Maybe it was just my inattention. Are there timecodes that I could watch. A half dozen, say. That would sure teach me to pay better attention.

Yeah, don’t like the link to Rowland but I doubt he comes this way. He did tell me the mod that banned me and reason. I probably deserved it, but read that thread and tell me I was the only one.

You're completely right. Here goes. Let me know if this touchy-feely version makes you feel better. I want you to know that I typed these comments while whispering, so please don't get offended because you feel I'm raising my voice.

*I sometimes feel FRUSTRATED when Calipari refuses to make logical adjustments that could win close ballgames.

*I sometimes feel SAD that Calipari coached teams continue to make the same mistakes that fumble away close games late.

*I sometimes feel CONFUSED that Calipari coached teams don't try different defensive strategies to force the ball out of the hands of players that are embarrassing them.

*I sometimes feel PERPLEXED that Calipari coached teams don't focus on winning fundamental defensive strategies, like staying in front of their man, and boxing out until the rebound is secured.

Boy, I feel better already. You're right. We should all be gentle in criticism of our program.

If you didn't know you sounded silly you wouldn't have edited your original post.

We all get frustrated...it is just ridiculous reading some of the nonsense typed on here. But kudos to you, your post made me laugh. I'm not saying kid gloves but some of this stuff is out there...we can agree to disagree. No problem with me.

I blame this on Cal.

Defense is mindset not necessarily skill. If this team and Cal don't change quickly, we will finish 5th in the SEC. Probably get a 9 or 10 seed come March.

After seeing how well TN played Missouri...And Georgia beat South Carolina....

Buckle up, its gonna get bumpy.

Lot of good teams that could beat us, lets just hope our team will play well and focus on defense, such that offense becomes a product of the defense.

Agree . I think they are going to try and win by being the best offensive team in the country. I'm not so sure it can't work. No, it won't work every game and we will lose a couple of road games in conference but this team will be hard to stop in the dance

Reactions: Fox2monk
Defense is mindset not necessarily skill. If this team and Cal don't change quickly, we will finish 5th in the SEC. Probably get a 9 or 10 seed come March.
There's absolutely no way this team loses 10/11 games to get a 9 seed. Unless the wheels fall off and something bad happens. I don't understand what the freaking out is about. We beat UNC and lose in otime on the road in which every conference road game is officiated terrible. Our defense hasn't been good all year and so far we are pretty dang good.

Go Cats!
They're getting paid, they can be criticized. It's no longer a "college sport". It's now semi-pro (and take a few classes) basketball. Fans can do what they want, just as the coaches and players do. If the players and coaches don't perform, they'll be gone soon enough. Very rarely do I see anyone here call the player's names. Adjectives like "lazy", "lost", "afraid of contact", "dumb pass" aren't name-calling. Was there something else you were referring to?

There's absolutely no way this team loses 10/11 games to get a 9 seed. Unless the wheels fall off and something bad happens. I don't understand what the freaking out is about. We beat UNC and lose in otime on the road in which every conference road game is officiated terrible. Our defense hasn't been good all year and so far we are pretty dang good.
The only way this teams gets beat is if teams just get hot like a&m. No one can score with us on a consistent basis.

Because we're missing our toughest rebounder and defensive minded player, and we're giving up the most points per game since 1995.

They're getting paid, they can be criticized. It's no longer a "college sport". It's now semi-pro (and take a few classes) basketball. Fans can do what they want, just as the coaches and players do. If the players and coaches don't perform, they'll be gone soon enough. Very rarely do I see anyone here call the player's names. Adjectives like "lazy", "lost", "afraid of contact", "dumb pass" aren't name-calling. Was there something else you were referring to?
Yeah, he took it out it or it was edited out, he's not that smart. and I totally agree with everything you said. Good Day. I'm not here to fix stupid, if I was I wouldn't have only one account for as long as I have had this one unlike many on here

Reactions: NociHTTP
The dude has always had solid defensive teams so I can’t blame it squarely on him. You’ve got several defensively minded dudes in that bench. Chin, Ulis, etc. not sure what the issue is.
Maybe he can't coach D and chew gum at the same time?

I think way too many fans are casually dismissing the defense problem by saying "oh we have guys that are getting beat off the dribble and aren't hustling enough". That happens occasionally, but a way bigger issue is our philosophy on defending screens.

I'm not sure when we Cal started doing this, but we go over every single screen, whether that is on ball or off ball. We hardly ever switch or go under them. We used to switch everything with our elite defensive teams. When we go over the screens, it puts Mitchell/our bigs in a horrible situation trying to defend 2 on 1, and then the rest of our guys panic and collapse the lane for easy kick out 3s, or the initial guard just goes all the way in and scores.

I really don't know the solution to this other than hoping Cal starts guarding screens differently which I don't see happening. I guess we pray that our backside rotation defense gets stronger, we actually can block a few shots at the rim, and we can cut off the drive and kick lanes for 3. But I'm not optimistic.

I think way too many fans are casually dismissing the defense problem by saying "oh we have guys that are getting beat off the dribble and aren't hustling enough". That happens occasionally, but a way bigger issue is our philosophy on defending screens.

I'm not sure when we Cal started doing this, but we go over every single screen, whether that is on ball or off ball. We hardly ever switch or go under them. We used to switch everything with our elite defensive teams. When we go over the screens, it puts Mitchell/our bigs in a horrible situation trying to defend 2 on 1, and then the rest of our guys panic and collapse the lane for easy kick out 3s, or the initial guard just goes all the way in and scores.

I really don't know the solution to this other than hoping Cal starts guarding screens differently which I don't see happening. I guess we pray that our backside rotation defense gets stronger, we actually can block a few shots at the rim, and we can cut off the drive and kick lanes for 3. But I'm not optimistic.
Cal did say in the postgame that he's working on the screen defense. I did see that it was a little better yesterday. He said it's a focus right now.

Cal did say in the postgame that he's working on the screen defense. I did see that it was a little better yesterday. He said it's a focus right now.

That is encouraging, but I am worried he means work on how to defend screens the way we are currently playing them i.e. try and teach the bigs to hedge and recover better and for the backside to rotate more. What we really need to do is stop going over every single screen because it takes a defender out of the play and makes it 5 vs. 4.

That is encouraging, but I am worried he means work on how to defend screens the way we are currently playing them i.e. try and teach the bigs to hedge and recover better and for the backside to rotate more. What we really need to do is stop going over every single screen because it takes a defender out of the play and makes it 5 vs. 4.
The switching is killing us, going under is resulting in wide open threes.

But seeing that Cal is at least working on it is a good sign. Him stubbornly refusing to bench Edwards, however, is a bad sign.

The switching is killing us, going under is resulting in wide open threes.

But seeing that Cal is at least working on it is a good sign. Him stubbornly refusing to bench Edwards, however, is a bad sign.

I haven't really seen us go under a single screen to give up a three all season, the only time I can remember is Dillingham at the end of the Kansas game which did really burn us. Most of the open threes we give up are kick outs as a result of us having to collapse the paint/ball handler

I haven't really seen us go under a single screen to give up a three all season, the only time I can remember is Dillingham at the end of the Kansas game which did really burn us. Most of the open threes we give up are kick outs as a result of us having to collapse the paint/ball handler
Edwards does it all the time. Cal even mentioned it in his postgame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT