ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Humphries signs with an agent; projected in recent NBA mock draft

I wouldn't be surprised if Hump impresses in the NBA camps.

Only at our Kentucky...this would make more sense if it were Bam, but Humphries? I shake my head every spring at what goes on with some of our players and this "NBA dream"...

they would probably shake their had at your dreams.

Reactions: awf
Only at our Kentucky...this would make more sense if it were Bam, but Humphries? I shake my head every spring at what goes on with some of our players and this "NBA dream"...

I know what you mean but with the way Cal recruits every single year our returning guys have a lot more pressure to make that tough decision than anywhere else in the country. I mean Hump is looking at having Richards and probably Bamba to compete for minutes next year, and possibly Bam also. Cal recruits like everyone is leaving after every season. Cal said during this past season that he was expecting to lose 7-8 guys. If Bam stays in that would make 8 this year. Cal knows what he's doing.

I know what you mean but with the way Cal recruits every single year our returning guys have a lot more pressure to make that tough decision than anywhere else in the country. I mean Hump is looking at having Richards and probably Bamba to compete for minutes next year, and possibly Bam also. Cal recruits like everyone is leaving after every season. Cal said during this past season that he was expecting to lose 7-8 guys. If Bam stays in that would make 8 this year. Cal knows what he's doing.
I know. I wasn't being Debbie Downer like many here. Just once in a while (usually every year), one player has me thinking "man, probably not the best idea". I'm all for people leaving school if they want, especially if the writing is on the wall that their playing time is about to drop - it's their lives.

Reactions: spotter34
I know. I wasn't being Debbie Downer like many here. Just once in a while (usually every year), one player has me thinking "man, probably not the best idea". I'm all for people leaving school if they want - it's their lives.

I'm with ya on that. This sounds crazy but sometimes a returning player may see more opportunities to get on the floor by declaring than by returning.

dont think its premature at all. he knows he isnt going to play here.
I am all for hoping it works out for him. Maybe it's just the way this "system" presents itself that puts pressure on some kids that just aren't ready, to go anyway? No real smoking gun - I understand that he felt a lot of pressure on both playing time and of course the stigma that goes with being an underclassman at Kentucky (the "failure if I don't at least try the NBA"). I just hope players like Briscoe and Humphries don't fall victim to feeling pressured to go due to the system they're in at UK.

I am all for hoping it works out for him. Maybe it's just the way this "system" presents itself that puts pressure on some kids that just aren't ready, to go anyway? No real smoking gun - I understand that he felt a lot of pressure on both playing time and of course the stigma that goes with being an underclassman at Kentucky (the "failure if I don't at least try the NBA"). I just hope players like Briscoe and Humphries don't fall victim to feeling pressured to go due to the system they're in at UK.

fake talking point made up by passive aggressive fans who want to blame cal and the perceived lack of accomplishment. if we won a title last year...no one would care if briscoe and humphries go pro

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I think Humphries has a legit chance at playing in the league, but most likely after a stint overseas continuing to develop.

nbadraft.net is Sketchers while the other mocks are Nike, Adidas, etc.

why would people assume that briscoe or humphries ever entertained the notion of staying all 4 years?

briscoe hated school. humphries only turned 19 this past january--two years at uk was like fork union or mci on steroids for him

nbadraft.net is garbage. Why do people keep using that as a source. Best of luck to Humphries!

First off I don't like the idea of marginal (draft) UK players leaving early but I understand the $$$ draw and/ or the "writing on the wall" (playing time).

I keep hearing differing opinions about these different mock drafts being better or worse than others so I decided to check the facts of last year's 2016 nbadraft.net mock versus the actual NBA draft (just a 1-year sample):
  • NBADRAFT.NET "Mock" had 28 out of 30 players correctly picked in the 1st round 93.3% with the two misses being picked #31 and #33 overall in the 2nd round.
  • NBADRAFT.NET "Mock" average draft position of players selected were 3.2 slots higher than the actual position of those players drafted.
  • NBADRAFT.NET "Mock" had 17 players listed within +/- 5-slots of their actual draft position in the 1st round.
FWIW, I don't think it really means anything but it was just interesting.

Reactions: MWes11
First off I don't like the idea of marginal (draft) UK players leaving early but I understand the $$$ draw and/ or the "writing on the wall" (playing time).

I keep hearing differing opinions about these different mock drafts being better or worse than others so I decided to check the facts of last year's 2016 nbadraft.net mock versus the actual NBA draft (just a 1-year sample):
  • NBADRAFT.NET "Mock" had 28 out of 30 players correctly picked in the 1st round 93.3% with the two misses being picked #31 and #33 overall in the 2nd round.
  • NBADRAFT.NET "Mock" average draft position of players selected were 3.2 slots higher than the actual position of those players drafted.
  • NBADRAFT.NET "Mock" had 17 players listed within +/- 5-slots of their actual draft position in the 1st round.
FWIW, I don't think it really means anything but it was just interesting.
It isn't perfect but it ain't as bad as people say.

Reactions: MWes11 and ib4ky
fake talking point made up by passive aggressive fans who want to blame cal and the perceived lack of accomplishment. if we won a title last year...no one would care if briscoe and humphries go pro
Never said I was blaming Cal. Simply saying that these perceived premature decisions by players that would never do the same thing at another school is a result of the way the system works out. Cal didn't make the system, he just recruits the best players. The "system" is the NBA's 1-year rule. The way I see it, let the kids go out of high school, and the "system" of 1-and-dones (not any fault of Calipari) will work itself out, and we'd see fewer of these kids gambling on leaving too soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT