ADVERTISEMENT

All 5 of UKs Freshman are now projected NBA draft 1st rounders

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018

Before you guys all go “it will be the greatest day in Kentucky Basketball history” just remember that talent wins games, not necessarily experience, just ask North Carolina.

Also we have 4 other players that have experience in Mitchell, Reeves, Thiero, Ugonna.

We also have a 7 footer from Croatia waiting to be cleared by the DA NCAA; so thats potentially 5 other guys besides the rock star freshman that UK has to help us win a title in 2024.

This team is very similar to the 1978 and 1996 teams who “had to win it all”.

This team has no choice but to win it all, they absolutely have to.

Equally attention getting is the order of the players in the projected draft.

I don't know about Edwards making the first round and also I'm not sure Reed will go this year. Whenever he does go I Envision him having a John stockton-type career

Reed will be an interesting case study if he's projected as a high first round pick by the end of the season. If a guy like him doesn't come back to UK for a second year, then I think it's finally time to admit there's really not much that can be done to keep kids in school if they have NBA aspirations.

Reed will be an interesting case study if he's projected as a high first round pick by the end of the season. If a guy like him doesn't come back to UK for a second year, then I think it's finally time to admit there's really not much that can be done to keep kids in school if they have NBA aspirations.
That ship sailed several years ago. Cal encourages players to leave. Granted, their track record in the NBA is generally very good (for most examples), but if a player is borderline first round and has an inkling to go, then they are generally gone. We need to enjoy this year.

If he is still being projected where he is now by end of season, he def gone, and should be.

That ship sailed several years ago. Cal encourages players to leave. Granted, their track record in the NBA is generally very good (for most examples), but if a player is borderline first round and has an inkling to go, then they are generally gone. We need to enjoy this year.
What I mean is if Reed goes it's not a Cal thing. If a kid who is UK basketball gentry bolts after a year then it's not Cal, it's just that kids don't care much about playing in college anymore.

If these 5 Freshman at UK all end up going 1st Rd it would trump the 4 freshman at UK to go 1st rd. in 2010 and would be the most Freshman ever at UK to go 1st rd in a single draft and Id bet it would be the most ever by any school.

Now do you think its a season without joy ala 1978?

You damn right it is.

This team has all the pressure in the world to not only win #9 at UK but redeem and save Coach Cal at the same time.

I told you guys long ago that these Freshman were the true Fab Five and though you scorned me, the mock drafts are not only not mocking me but are affirming my summation.

Last edited:
What I mean is if Reed goes it's not a Cal thing. If a kid who is UK basketball gentry bolts after a year then it's not Cal, it's just that kids don't care much about playing in college anymore.
I agree, you make a great point. They don't care about playing in college as much as they used to.

Our society does a weird thing with college sports. An NBA 1st round pick has a guaranteed 2 year contract in the neighborhood of $5 million.

If a kid was a computer science freshman in college and Apple or Google came calling and guaranteed them 2 years and $5 million dollars, NOBODY would tell them to stay in school. In fact, they would be lauded for their genius and opportunity.

Once we get sports involved, some in the fandom get their feelings hurt about a kid not caring about college.

If these 5 Freshman at UK all end up going 1st Rd it would trump the 4 freshman at UK to go 1st rd. in 2010 and would be the most Freshman ever at UK to go 1st rd in a single draft and Id bet it would be the most ever by any school.

Now do you think its a season without joy ala 1978?

You damn right it is.

This team has all the pressure in the world to not only win #9 at UK but redeem and save Coach Cal at the same time.

I told you guys long ago that these Freshman were the true Fab Five and though you scorned me, the mock drafts are not only not mocking me but are affirming my summation.
The Fab Five didn't win a championship.
NBA teams draft on potential (within the first contract 2-3 years)... not on who the best players are now.
Draft status matters to Cal (and apparently you) but it doesn't to wins (especially early) or championships, which matters most to me.

Edwards projected to go before Bradshaw and Wagner, right now is a joke IMO
Bradshaw hasn't had enough games under his belt to make that leap just yet, the article did say Edwards was falling, but is still high based on potential, so the test will be how he develops as the season progresses. some guys take half a season to really kick it into gear. Anthony Davis was great, but even he took a few weeks into the season before he really took off to POY level play. I think Wagner's 3 point shooting is keeping him down the list.

I really don’t care about where their rankings are for the NBA. All I care about is winning College basketball games, after that I wish them well.
Kids coming back wanting to win it all is a thing of the past. I think some are missing out leaving to early.
My college years were some of the best years of my life.

• Love
Reactions: susan2361
I agree, you make a great point. They don't care about playing in college as much as they used to.

Our society does a weird thing with college sports. An NBA 1st round pick has a guaranteed 2 year contract in the neighborhood of $5 million.

If a kid was a computer science freshman in college and Apple or Google came calling and guaranteed them 2 years and $5 million dollars, NOBODY would tell them to stay in school. In fact, they would be lauded for their genius and opportunity.

Once we get sports involved, some in the fandom get their feelings hurt about a kid not caring about college.

Exactly. Everyone on this board would have left college after freshmen year to go pro in their profession and make solid to amazing money if they could have.

Reactions: thedahc
If I’m an NBA team, I’d go Bradshaw (5-10), Dillingham (10-15), and not feel wonderful about the other 3 (yet), maybe Reed and Wagner (25-30), Edwards (40-50).

NBA drafts on measurables and potential.

Bradshaw and Edwards will get drafted high because of their size for their positions and their athleticism.

Dillingham probably drops as the draft draws nearer because of his size for his position (6’2 scoring guards are a dime a dozen).

Reactions: _Rooster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT