ADVERTISEMENT

Is Z the real deal or ……

Will say this, I watched more of his hlghlight videos today once he was eligible, and by end of it I walked away convinced he might be our best big. Guy can block, shoot, run the court very well for a big guy and he did that against grown ass men in Europe. We literally added a young European pro to our roster.

Two things we didn't see today but that he can 100% do well... 1) Kid is really really good on the lob. I want to see some pick and roll action with him and Reed. Would be lethal. 2) We saw a flash of it on the spin move, but he is very very good when he gets the ball at the top of the key and makes a move towards the basket. Kid has a third gear you don't expect to be there, but he has some explosion to him

Once he gets his wind it's going to be hard for Cal to keep him off the floor. He's has to get major PT for us. He's better than Bradshaw after one game. No knock on Bradshaw. He just doesn't have the skillset Big Z does. It's a good problem to have with all three of our big guys.

Once he gets his wind it's going to be hard for Cal to keep him off the floor. He's has to get major PT for us. He's better than Bradshaw after one game. No knock on Bradshaw. He just doesn't have the skillset Big Z does. It's a good problem to have with all three of our big guys.
Agree, but I think Ugo might be the 3rd big in PT based on what I saw tonight. Cal seemed to be tinkering with Z and AB on the floor together. I think that makes us unstoppable on offense with the spacing it provides, and if AB improves his defense, look the F out. We could become dominant.

I also agree that Big Z is further along than AB. It's the difference in having played against grown men vs high schoolers.

He showed no signs today of needing wind. Appears to be in great shape. He never looked winded the entire time he played. The announcers even mentioned that he was not winded.

He showed no signs today of needing wind. Appears to be in great shape. He never looked winded the entire time he played. The announcers even mentioned that he was not winded.
I think it was his last 3 from the corner he looked winded. Watching the Leach highlights even he said it. Regardless, he's going to be a stud. He's only going to get better as the season goes on. Our Title chances went up exponentially with his addition.

Agree, but I think Ugo might be the 3rd big in PT based on what I saw tonight. Cal seemed to be tinkering with Z and AB on the floor together. I think that makes us unstoppable on offense with the spacing it provides, and if AB improves his defense, look the F out. We could become dominant.

I also agree that Big Z is further along than AB. It's the difference in having played against grown men vs high schoolers.
Yeppers. As if our guards needed any more space to drive. If our defense comes around then you're right. Look out!

Is he going to shoot nearly 100% from long range every game? No.

But he clearly has great skills on both ends of the floor. That isn't just a fluke.
Dude rebounds, blocks shots, can shoot, can pass. He’s very well rounded and it was obvious. He is the real deal. He will have some games for sure. He needs a lot of minutes in the future.

I don’t think he can play 30 minutes a game yet but he can play 4-6 minutes spurts easy. That’s all we need. We can rotate big men and stay fresh all game now. We have rebounding and shot blocking. We shoot, we pass. This may be the most overall skilled team we have had here. It is too be seen if we can pull a final four out but I love our chances. I don’t think we have as much upper NBA talent as some teams but absolutely have the college players.

Z and AB actually played well together. Both don’t need to post to score and it helps our style. If they can get to where they don’t allow layups we will be amazing. Our guards need to help them though.

I think that if Theiro gets back, Bradshaw is the one that loses playing time. You can't take Trey off the court, and Theiro covers the 3/4 spot. Ugo still gets his defensive minutes. A nice problem to have. This team's upside is really high.

If anything he's going to give us what we thought Edwards would and that is huge.

Once Thiero comes back watch out
I think Adou coming back will even out our rotation a little bit more too. I’d love to se Big Z/Mitchell/Reeves/Sheppard/DJ or Dilly in the game a lot.

Having a second unit where you can have Ugo or Bradshaw/Thiero/Edwards/ 2 of DJ/Shep/Dilly/Reeves is a killer lineup overall.

I keep watching that behind the back pass to Reeves. At no time did I see him even look to see if he was there. He just knew it. His IQ seems to be really high. He did all his damage in 16 minutes. That's a scary thought for future opponents. His debut was one of the better feel good moments in my entire time of watching UK basketball. I'm still giddy as all get out just thinking about it.

That first series where he went off he was a bit winded. But not horrible. It’s gonna be a couple games before he gets in true game shape. Which is scary considering.

I keep watching that behind the back pass to Reeves. At no time did I see him even look to see if he was there. He just knew it. His IQ seems to be really high. He did all his damage in 16 minutes. That's a scary thought for future opponents. His debut was one of the better feel good moments in my entire time of watching UK basketball. I'm still giddy as all get out just thinking about it.
That’s a trust thing too. He trusted Reeves to be there and he was. That had to have been worked on I practice some.

He has lost half the season and looks better than Bradshaw or O, give this cat 10 games And I feel like he is a double-double machine.

In all honesty, Edwards should hardly play this year, come back next year. I know that is highly crazy. Bradshaw should play sparingly, come back next year. I know not gonna happen, and O should play about 15 minutes. We are better with big z free, Mitchell and the guards.

DJ
Reeves
Shep
Dilly
Theiro
Tre
Bradshaw
O
Big Z

That's a solid 9 you can count on. Give Edwards scraps, sorry. But he is the least impressive and the worst fit with this bunch. Edwards fancys himself a 3 point shooter and I'm not sure why. If he was a MKG. Got in there mixed it up, defended, rebounded and was strong at the rim then ok. He is not. He's ok at best as a defender, not a great shooter and seems to be a cog in the lineup when he's in. It just doesn't work. I think Cal knows it so starts him so he can play him low mins. ENOUGH! Start the best and let's go!!!!

DJ
Shep
Reeves
Tre
Big z

Roll!!!

Let Bradshaw, Edwards and O fight for mins. Of course Theiro deserves mins too if he can ever walk straight again.

Last edited:
I want to see some more before I declare him a cure to some of our problems, but wow. I am mostly pleased with what I saw on the defensive side of the game. He rebounded, blocked shots, couple of steals and held his own against their big guy trying to push everyone around. That last point is where he will distance himself from Bradshaw IMO.

Offensively...Wow! Fun to watch. And that is what I was hoping he would be.

Fell good moment like when Darius Miller checked in for a 3-pointer or Wayne Turner drove the lane for a layup.

I no basketball coach but I assume Z is a 4. Does he get Edwards minutes? Can/Will Cal have Bradshaw,Z and Mitchell on the Floor for 10-15 minutes a game?

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT