ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rupp a Racist lets take a look

Media member(s) claim Rupp was a racist back in the day, with no facts and no basis. For whatever reason, that bullshit narrative took off like a wildfire. Simple case of people not being capable of thinking for themselves, and being followers. It’s completely and totally absurd. Monkey see, monkey do.

I don't think it even needs to be addressed that the scumbag writer for the Herald-Leader was more than likely Tipton.

https://www.nkytribune.com/2020/07/...dolph-rupp-with-some-facts-on-the-race-issue/

Of course, there’s more. It’s all on DVD if you’d like to see it. After the documentary’s initial broadcast in 2005, the Herald-Leader published a fabricated story stating that UK had paid me and WKYT to produce the documentary, thereby dismissing it as propaganda. It was a lie; the writer had begged several people to tell him what he wanted to hear, which of course, they did not. He refused to interview me.

There were certainly villains back then, including the dozens of “friends” and boosters who begged Rupp not to integrate his team. I used to think he was a villain, himself. Not any more.

Dick Gabriel is a long-time Kentucky sports journalist, now host of Sports Talk at Big Blue Insider. He was a reporter, editor, and anchor for WKYT-TV in Lexington for 22 years and is a graduate of the University of Kentucky.

Media member(s) claim Rupp was a racist back in the day, with no facts and no basis. For whatever reason, that bullshit narrative took off like a wildfire. Simple case of people not being capable of thinking for themselves, and being followers. It’s completely and totally absurd. Monkey see, monkey do.

It has always been like this but "Glory Road" has made it worse it seems. What really ticks me off is they stole Rupps farewell speech to name their movie which depicts him as a 2nd coming of Hitler from what I have heard. To be honest I have never and will never watch it.

I never want UK to lose to Duke but I have wondered what might have been if it was an all white Duke team that played Texas Western in the title game.

Last edited:
It has always been like this but "Glory Road" has made it worse it seems. What really ticks me off is they stole Rupps farewell speech to name their movie which depicts him as a 2nd coming of Hitler from what I have heard. To be honest I have never and will never watch it. I never want UK to lose to Duke but I have wondered what might have been if it was an all white Duke team that played Texas Western in the title game.
Wow, really?! I didn’t know that, regarding his farewell speech. It makes it even worse than I had originally thought. Just goes to show that people will do whatever is needed for their own, personal gain.

I, too, have wondered how things would be, had we lost that game to duke in that particular F4. I know many UK fans have wondered that exact same thing for decades. Does duke and Bubas then become the villain, or would it have been merely just another title game?

I’m not quite sure of the timeline of the whole Rupp is a racist thing. Did this occur before or after that title game in 1966? Clearly, I wasn’t even born in 1966, so I really don’t know. [laughing]

It has always been like this but "Glory Road" has made it worse it seems. What really ticks me off is they stole Rupps farewell speech to name their movie which depicts him as a 2nd coming of Hitler from what I have heard. To be honest I have never and will never watch it. I never want UK to lose to Duke but I have wondered what might have been if it was an all white Duke team that played Texas Western in the title game.

Actually I have to give the Glory Road producers credit as they didn't fall into the easy trap that they could have by fabricating things about Rupp to make the story more dramatic (including the supposed claim that Rupp said something to the effect that five players couldn't beat his team prior to the game, something that in the recent decades has been widely repeated by clueless media but no one has ever been able to verify as actually occuring. Most likely it was something Don Haskins made up and told his team as a ploy to get them motivated.)

While I didn't talk to them directly during production I did try to reach out to them and I do know that they were aware of the debate over Rupp and they did end up consulting with Pat Riley and others during their production. Their treatment of Rupp in the movie I thought was fair, although I do have a few quibbles with historical accuracy. But most of the glaring inaccuracies had nothing to do with Kentucky but instead were with Texas Western itself or some of their other opponents.

FYI, at one time I started a movie review at one point focusing on these historical inaccuracies etc. and the treatment of UK and Rupp but never finished it.

Last edited:
Yeah the final line of his retirement speech was "For those of you who that went down this glory road with me, my eternal thanks".

If I was whomever is in charge of deciding if it is to be renamed I would ask the faculty to provide me with documented proof of his racism and not hearsay or a sportswriters opinion that nobody else can verify. Without it I would do nothing.

Wow, really?! I didn’t know that, regarding his farewell speech. It makes it even worse than I had originally thought. Just goes to show that people will do whatever is needed for their own, personal gain.

I, too, have wondered how things would be, had we lost that game to duke in that particular F4. I know many UK fans have wondered that exact same thing for decades. Does duke and Bubas then become the villain, or would it have been merely just another title game?

I’m not quite sure of the timeline of the whole Rupp is a racist thing. Did this occur before or after that title game in 1966? Clearly, I wasn’t even born in 1966, so I really don’t know. [laughing]

It has always been interesting to me that U of L and Western integrated just a few years before UK (U of L in 1962 with Wade Houston and Eddie Whitehead) and WKU in 1963 with Clem Haskins and Dwight Smith). Tom Payne got to UK in the fall of 1969.

Still, those 6-7 years seem like decades in retrospect. So much changed over that time. It has been well documented that Rupp recruited some black players before Payne - Bridgeman, Unseld, and McDaniels are the ones mentioned. But he did not recruit others who would have been big starts at UK - Clem Haskins being the most obvious example.

IMO, a fair reading of Rupp is not as a "racist", but as slow to adapt to the changing times.

Reactions: sambowieshin
IMO, a fair reading of Rupp is not as a "racist", but as slow to adapt to the changing times.
Not debating with you. But do you know: in the 1960's, the most RACIST STATES in America were Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi. We're talking KKK headquarters and Murder, not just Racist epithets.

In 1963, Bama Governor George Wallace ran for President on the platform "Segregation now, Segregation tomorrow, Segregation forever". He stood on steps of Bama with armed guards, promising no Blacks would be admitted.

Nobody born after 1970 can appreciate the mess our nation was facing enforcing the Rule of Law of the Civil Rights Act.

And yet, Coach Rupp was trying to recruit Black athletes.

It has always been interesting to me that U of L and Western integrated just a few years before UK (U of L in 1962 with Wade Houston and Eddie Whitehead) and WKU in 1963 with Clem Haskins and Dwight Smith). Tom Payne got to UK in the fall of 1969.

Still, those 6-7 years seem like decades in retrospect. So much changed over that time. It has been well documented that Rupp recruited some black players before Payne - Bridgeman, Unseld, and McDaniels are the ones mentioned. But he did not recruit others who would have been big starts at UK - Clem Haskins being the most obvious example.

LOL he coached black players as a high school coach. Nuff said.

So are you saying Rupp hung it up? If not how is this relevant? You or I would be just as guilty as Rupp since neither one of us hung it up either.
I’m not saying he did, but if his comment holds true in the game at Georgia, then I would say it was hung either by him or he told someone to do it.

If you read my webpage you would know that Rupp was not allowed to recruit black players when Clem Haskins was looking at schools. UK announced that their athletic programs were open to all races a few months afterwards (late spring of 1963). That's unfortunate timing because Clem Haskins grew up following UK and (unlike Wes Unseld) may have seriously considered them if he had been formally offered a scholarship.

You should post this religiously to every U.K. page for the next couple weeks. Send it to CBS sports, the big name talking heads etc. send it to the U.K. president. The African American studies department, Cal, Lexington herald Leader etc.

Sure it’ll get ignored some but in an age where ppl refuse to research and take emotion as fact, you have tk sometimes not only lead the horse to water but hold its head under until it drinks accidentally.

we only need a few outlets to back UK and Rupp. The only way it changes is if all the national sports media starts running with the narrative collectively

beND tHe kNeE bigots! Obviously so much white priViLegE and internalized racism in this thread. Smh.
Frank, I hope you aren't including me in that. Defending Coach Rupp does not mean Racism is not a major problem.

I am publicly on record supporting the premise of BLM. We have so far to go...and I am trying here in Winston Salem to use my influence to make that happen.
Partially out of guilt. Mostly out of Love.

FYI, when this story came out in 2009, I thought I had heard it all. This was shocking to me, because it seemed so blatant and even moreso because I had never even heard a whiff of a rumor of this and it seemed to come completely out of the blue.

The good news is that because it was a fresh charge, I was able to follow up with all concerned parties, although it took a while. I was able to talk directly to Tim Bassett, a handful of Bassett's teammates, a few people who had worked at Georgia at the time along with a few Kentucky people (including Russell Rice) who were at UK at the time in question. Beyond that I spoke with the author of the article (Chris Hine) along with the sports editor of the New York Times (Tom Jolly). The only key persons of interest I wasn't able to talk to were the coaches, as both Rupp and Georgia's coach Ken Rosemond had long passed away.

I talk about this charge on my Rupp page in it's own section

Rupp Page: Tim Bassett

Bottom line is that Bassett maintained to me that he saw 'something' but he couldn't describe what it was, where exactly it was placed in the arena, nor explain why he thought it was Rupp who placed it there, and he didn't investigate further.

None of his teammates that I spoke to remember this supposed incident, and more critically none remember offering to sit out the game over such an incident. Kentucky officials vehemently deny any such thing ever occurred and in fact were upset that anyone would actually believe it. No one else from Georgia remembers such an event.

I also scoured the media reports from the time, both UK and Georgia (including the student newspapers) and there was no hint of anything unusual. It is true that Rupp was upset with Bassett as he had outplayed Jim Andrews the game before and bragged about it publicly to the media, saying Andrews was a bad defensive player.

As far as the claim that Rupp told Bassett he didn't belong in the Southeastern Conference, if it's true it likely wasn't due to his skin color because at that time most of the Conference had already been integrated (including Kentucky the year before, something Bassett may not have been aware of since he was a Junior College transfer).

I don't like to call people liars but there literally is no evidence to back up Bassett's explosive claim, and frankly it doesn't pass the smell test. The year prior to this Barry Jacobs published an entire book about integration of ACC and SEC schools with an entire chapter devoted to Georgia where he extensively interviewed both Ronnie Hogue (who was at UGa the previous year and was their 1st black player) and Bassett (who came the following year as a JC transfer) and this incident wasn't even mentioned.

As far as the New York Times, the author (Chris Hine) was an intern at the time who soon thereafter moved to a more permanent job in Chicago. I was able to track him down and he told me that he had many of the same questions and concerns about the claim that I had. Like me he was unable to verify the claim and intended to remove it from the draft, however according to him the Times decided to go ahead and run the draft without his knowledge or sign-off.

The sports editor (Tom Jolly) refused to print a retraction and claimed that he wanted to investigate the claim himself. Despite my help in providing contact information to Bassett and others, he never confirmed anything either. FYI, the Duke Lacrosse story came out under his watch around the same time and the blowback from that led to him being reassigned by the paper.
Very cool. Thanks for a professional reply.

These idiots think the name “Adolph” is bad and go straight to Hitler. We have some morons in the teaching profession on all levels. Apparently listening to KSR just now a beloved player by all said “ it must be changed “. Guaranteed, they have a one sided point of view Nd couldn’t identify Rupp in a line up of 3.
For me if they change it, I hope a hellish moment comes to them. I mean hell too. Tired of this political BS. It’s time to fight back.

beND tHe kNeE bigots!

Obviously so much white priViLegE and internalized racism in this thread. Smh.

I am privileged to have parents who taught me that despite growing up as poor as dirt if I worked hard I could make something of myself.

I am privileged to come from grandparents who were sharecroppers working their fingers to the bone for someone else just to get a small piece of land and a house that was to small to raise their 7 kids.

I am privileged to have childhood friends who were black and we didn't care because we were friends.

I am privileged to still have some of those same friends today despite living in other parts of the country.

I am privileged to have a family who supported each other when things were tough.

I am privileged to have a mom and dad who raised me to treat others as I would want to be treated.

I am privileged to be born and raised in a country where people are free to speak, think and be what they want although those freedoms are slowly diminishing if you disagree with the wrong people.

Yes I am white. So if all those things mean I have white privilege then I guess I do.

I’m not saying he did, but if his comment holds true in the game at Georgia, then I would say it was hung either by him or he told someone to do it.

So you have no idea but are speculating and spreading it as if it is true. So you okay with someone spreading the same kind of stories about you or maybe your dad or grandpa without proof or even anything that resembles truth? The thing is there are a lot more things indicating he wasn't racist than that he was. There are players, coaches and trainers one of which is posting in this thread that were around him daily saying he wasn't but you want to take a story from someone who says this happened despite no proof from anyone else who was there saying it happened.

Last edited:
Frank, I hope you aren't including me in that. Defending Coach Rupp does not mean Racism is not a major problem.

I am publicly on record supporting the premise of BLM. We have so far to go...and I am trying here in Winston Salem to use my influence to make that happen.
Partially out of guilt. Mostly out of Love.

I’m being sarcastic my friend :)

I am privileged to have parents who taught me that despite growing up as poor as dirt if I worked hard I could make something of myself.

I am privileged to come from grandparents who were sharecroppers working their fingers to the bone for someone else just to get a small piece of land and a house that was to small to raise their 7 kids.

I am privileged to have childhood friends who were black and we didn't care because we were friends.

I am privileged to still have some of those same friends today despite living in other parts of the country.

I am privileged to have a family who supported each other when things were tough.

I am privileged to have a mom and dad who raised me to treat others as I would want to be treated.

I am privileged to be born and raised in a country where people are free to speak, think and be what they want although those freedoms are slowly diminishing if you disagree with the wrong people.

Yes I am white. So if all those things mean I have white privilege then I guess I do.

i know man lol. I agree 100%... I’m being facetious.

I get it but there are a lot of people who don't understand like you. They think all white people have special privileges but for a lot of us from Eastern KY we are privileged but not in the way they think.
I’m privileged enough that I must work my ass off, week in and week out, every week of my life. Same goes for my wife. I would love to know what these so called “privileges” are, for us white folk.

EDIT: And, yes, we’re both from Northeastern Kentucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I get it but there are a lot of people who don't understand like you. They think all white people have special privileges but for a lot of us from Eastern KY we are privileged but not in the way they think.

Those people are not using the word ‘privilege’ as it is defined in Webster’s. They have redefined it along with other words to make pseudo racism encompass more individuals.

Basically you are ‘privileged’ because of the color of your skin. This provides them a means to discriminate against you based on your privilege and we know what that is based on. Sounds kinda racist, doesn’t it?

So you have no idea but are speculating and spreading it as if it is true. So you okay with someone spreading the same kind of stories about you or maybe your dad or grandpa without proof or even anything that resembles truth? The thing is there are a lot more things indicating he wasn't racist than that he was. There are players, coaches and trainers one of which is posting in this thread that were around him daily saying he wasn't but you want to take a story from someone who says this happened despite no proof from anyone else who was there saying it happened.
IF...IF...IF. I said IF. Nowhere did I fully accuse him of being racist. It was a National attitude at the time (and hell, still is) and he didn’t want to buck the trend. I’m not saying he’s racist but he sure the hell wouldn’t protest for Black Lives Matter if he were alive today.

It’s been said here and said other places, but he was AT WORST no different than 99% of the white population at that time. We live and we learn as we go through time. If a black athlete is sensitive enough to not want to play here due to Rupps name being on the arena, he should just avoid the program to begin with since he coached here and it was alright at that time (not saying that any are, but recruiting has been mentioned as a reason to take his name off).

This is a different era with different mind sets. Get the hell over it. It was the PAST, and there is no proof of Rupp doing harm to any blacks whatsoever. BLM and it’s supporters are causing unnecessary damage to this country and it’s people. Period. We live in a time where the minority with fragile minds are being catered to and given a voice. Things are going to continue to get worse. This country needs God badly before it’s too late, but I’m afraid it already is. Sports and fun may never be the same again.

https://www.nkytribune.com/2020/07/...dolph-rupp-with-some-facts-on-the-race-issue/

In 1929, when he got the call from UK, Rupp was coaching a high school team in Illinois, which included a black player;

• In 1948, Rupp was instrumental in placing Don Barksdale of UCLA on the U.S. Olympic team, making him the first black basketball player on Team USA. Rupp urged his players to watch Barksdale during the Olympic Trials and study the way he played;

• The aforementioned ballplayer in 1950 was Jim Tucker, who recently passed. A star at all-black Paris Western HS, Tucker caught the eye of Rupp, who wanted him at UK but was prevented from signing him by Jim Crow laws in the South. The SEC was segregated. Rupp saw to it that Tucker went to college (Duquesne), where Tucker became an All-American and later an NBA champion.

• In 1960, Rupp offered a job to a high school coach named Neil Reed, a white man who taught at a black school in Cincinnati. Rupp told Reed he wanted to sign black players and that Reed would be his chief recruiter. Reed signed on in 1962.

• Rupp announced publicly that UK would begin to recruit blacks. The southern media blasted him, fearing it would open the doors to blacks playing football in the SEC.

• Rupp asked then-UK president Dr. Frank Dickey for permission to leave the SEC so he could recruit black players. The UK Board of Directors, fearful it would not be able to fill Memorial Coliseum if it didn’t play traditional SEC opponents, denied his request.

• In 1961, Dr. Dickey, serving as president of the SEC, informally polled the league presidents about ending the “gentlemen’s agreement” in place, which banned the recruitment of black athletes. It was overwhelmingly rejected. In 1962, Dickey put it to a formal vote and again, the move was overwhelmingly voted down.

• Rupp and Reed both received death threats over the recruitment of blacks, more than a hundred, which were turned over to the FBI.

• Reed aided Rupp in the 1964 recruitment of Louisville prep star Wes Unseld. They saw Unseld play 13 times. Number of times Rupp watched Dan Issel play in high school: Zero. They offered a scholarship to Unseld, but he chose UofL.

• In 1965, Kentucky Mr. Basketball Butch Beard verbally committed to UK, but on signing day changed his mind and signed with Louisville (otherwise, we wouldn’t be having this conversation).

• Jim McDaniels, a high school star from the western end of the state, on a visit to Lexington told Mike Pratt he would attend UK. Western Kentucky University convinced him at the last minute to sign with the Hilltoppers. McDaniels was later quoted as saying he knew WKU wanted him more because it provided him with a car.

• Ever-mindful of the horrible treatment his white players received from fans when the Wildcats played on the road, Rupp feared for whomever would become UK’s first African American player. (Both Beard and Unseld said Rupp could not assure their parents that their children would be totally safe on the road; keep in mind that it was 1964 when three civil rights activists were kidnapped and murdered in Mississippi).

• Rupp was ordered by new UK president Dr. John Oswald to sign a black player, whether he could contribute to the team or not. Rupp didn’t want a “token;” but what he did want was a star who could help put his team back on top. He believed he needed a Jackie Robinson-type player.

Adolph Rupp

• Former baseball commissioner Albert “Happy” Chandler set up a meeting between Rupp, Reed and Branch Rickey, the man who signed Robinson to a major league contract. He told Rupp he needed a Kentuckian who was a superb athlete, great student and someone capable of withstanding the terrifying verbal attacks sure to come his way. Rupp thought Unseld, and then Beard, had all the qualifications.

• When opposing teams with black players on their rosters came to Lexington, Rupp asked local newspapermen in their preview stories to ask fans to treat them with respect. And he had a standing rule with ushers at Memorial Coliseum: If they heard anyone hurling racial taunts, they were to ask them to stop. If they continued, they were to be escorted from the arena.

Of course, there’s more. It’s all on DVD if you’d like to see it. After the documentary’s initial broadcast in 2005, the Herald-Leader published a fabricated story stating that UK had paid me and WKYT to produce the documentary, thereby dismissing it as propaganda. It was a lie; the writer had begged several people to tell him what he wanted to hear, which of course, they did not. He refused to interview me.

I’m sure the information above will be dismissed by many, for whatever reason. One young man, ripping me on Twitter, said he knows what his grandmother told him and that’s good enough. I’m guessing, his grandmother, like me for all those years, knew nothing about what was actually happening – including criticism of Rupp by the media for even bringing up desegregation, a star player changing his mind at the last minute, death threats and more.

It was after he died that Rupp was accused of using inappropriate language as it related to African Americans. Sadly, too many people back then likely were guilty of that kind of ignorance and insensitivity. But did he actively seek to keep his team segregated? Not only is there no proof that he did, it turns out the opposite was true.

There were certainly villains back then, including the dozens of “friends” and boosters who begged Rupp not to integrate his team. I used to think he was a villain, himself. Not any more.

Dick Gabriel is a long-time Kentucky sports journalist, now host of Sports Talk at Big Blue Insider. He was a reporter, editor, and anchor for WKYT-TV in Lexington for 22 years and is a graduate of the University of Kentucky.

None of this matters when dealing with people who “choose [their] truth over facts”

Reactions: Ky grandpa
and if you think its as big of a thing as some people make it out to be then I don't know what to tell you.

how the question of whether Rupp was racist or not gets mixed in with people still not understanding what white privilege is is beyond me . If you don't get that white privilege is a very real thing at this point then you never will.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
It’s been said here and said other places, but he was AT WORST no different than 99% of the white population at that time. We live and we learn as we go through time. If a black athlete is sensitive enough to not want to play here due to Rupps name being on the arena, he should just avoid the program to begin with since he coached here and it was alright at that time (not saying that any are, but recruiting has been mentioned as a reason to take his name off).

This is a different era with different mind sets. Get the hell over it. It was the PAST, and there is no proof of Rupp doing harm to any blacks whatsoever. BLM and it’s supporters are causing unnecessary damage to this country and it’s people. Period. We live in a time where the minority with fragile minds are being catered to and given a voice. Things are going to continue to get worse. This country needs God badly before it’s too late, but I’m afraid it already is. Sports and fun may never be the same again.
False. Black Lives Matter is bringing awareness to an issue that should’ve been solved many, many years ago. Take your red hat off and open your eyes. Why not bring up ANTIFA if you’re gonna go that route?
Miss me with that bullshit.

False. Black Lives Matter is bringing awareness to an issue that should’ve been solved many, many years ago. Take your red hat off and open your eyes. Why not bring up ANTIFA if you’re gonna go that route?
Anyone who supports what that organization is doing to our country needs to be committed to a mental institution.

Good morning want to do some research ? I already know the answer but i like to make opposing views do something for once.

Where does the money go when people pay to support BLM?

Fair description of an elderly white man living in the mid 1960's.....as well as some presently posting on this forum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT